Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

ABC news is showing great footage of a Patriot Pac3 hitting an Iraqi missile in broad daylight over Kuwait City. I guess they really did improve those things.

I also got some footage of Bedouin tribesmen in Iraq waving happily at passing U.S. tanks.

Ted Koppel is saying the 3rd ID engaged 11 Iraqi tanks and knocked out 10 using Longbow Apaches.

Elements of the 1st Marines were engaged by Iraqi anti-tank missiles and small arms fire 200 meters inside the Iraqi border. Cobras and Marine tanks knocked out 11 Iraqi T-72's and 4 APCs.

Marines and Brits are engaged in a reportedly big small arms firefight near Basra, it is expected to fall soon.

Shock and Awe air campaign has been put on hold until an accurate BDA of the decapitation move on the first night can be conducted. U.S. strategy has changed on the principle that it would be bad to bomb and risk collateral damage if Saddam was killed and the Iraqi regime is on the verge of collapsing. Most of the war might actually have ended in the first strike.

Iraqi Republican Guard units are indeed surrendering or negotiating surrender terms according to NBC and CBS.

Updates from the UK Defense Minister:

Still strong resistance on Far Island's port city, Um Qasr.

At least 30 oil wells have been ignited.

From elsewhere:

US forces have seized the Kirkuk oil fields in the north.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ Mar. 21 2003,10:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ABC news is showing great footage of a Patriot Pac3 hitting an Iraqi missile in broad daylight over Kuwait City. I guess they really did improve those things.

<span id='postcolor'>

They missed a lot of missiles as well, so I guess they are not that effective!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Updates from the UK Defense Minister:

Still strong resistance on Far Island's port city, Um Qasr.

At least 30 oil wells have been ignited.

From elsewhere:

US forces have seized the Kirkov oil fields in the north.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought they had already conquered that island?

I have heard a phone report from a BBC eye-witness that the British/American flags have been raised in Um Qasr but there is still fighting going on inside the city

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ Mar. 21 2003,10:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iraqi Republican Guard units are indeed surrendering or negotiating surrender terms according to NBC and CBS.<span id='postcolor'>

Hold your breath - it might not be like a walk in the park after all:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But one convoy of US Marines which crossed into Iraq overnight has come under fire from Iraqi forces.

The BBC's Adam Mynott, who is travelling with the Marines, says the convoy was attacked with small arms fire and missiles just a few yards inside the Iraqi border.

There has been much stronger resistance in this sector of the battlefield than many in the US and UK forces had expected, our correspondent says.

British artillery was called in from northern Kuwait to bombard the Iraqi positions, while the convoy was forced to retreat.

Fierce fighting has been reported around the big oil fields in northern Iraq, which US special forces are trying to secure, according to western intelligence.

<span id='postcolor'>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2871189.stm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 21 2003,11:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hold your breath - it might not be like a walk in the park after all:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But one convoy of US Marines which crossed into Iraq overnight has come under fire from Iraqi forces.<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

That's old news from last night. They're past that.

Question is now, since the morning, new reports are coming in of surrenders and possible negotiations.

No one's claimed the war is over.

I think the war is going be easy until they get to baghdad(other cities),tonight or tomorrow night.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,04:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Turkey is temporarily preventing use of their airspace by US forces.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,04:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">US forces have seized the Kirkov oil fields in the north.<span id='postcolor'>

I wonder how those US forces got there.  Air dropped from the south, maybe? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Mar. 21 2003,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder how those US forces got there.  Air dropped from the south, maybe? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There was an 8:30AM bus. tounge.gif

BTW, that should have been the Kirkuk oil fields.

Some of the live video footage is being transmitted by video phones.

What makes and models are these?

How is the data received and stored?

Is Denoir planning on upgrading his cell phone to one of these? biggrin.gif

200 surrendered so far...this is very little considering the amount of propaganda that has been issued by the airforce during the last weeks (and of course on the radio). Lets hope those 200 are only the tip of the iceberg otherwise it will become a realy bloody war (at least for the iraqi side).

And the point that has been missing here so far is that ratata baeng baeng beeeeeeeeeeoooooow-pufff kaboooom swisssshhh boooomm!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Mar. 21 2003,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And the point that has been missing here so far is that ratata baeng baeng beeeeeeeeeeoooooow-pufff kaboooom swisssshhh boooomm!<span id='postcolor'>

Sticky keyboard problems should be posted in TROUBLESHOOTING. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Coalition forces have for the second time enetered Basra after withdrawing earlier today after meeting hard resistance. British military sources say that several British tanks were destroyed in the first attack. After directed artillery strikes, coalition forces could once again enter Basra and have now captured the main street. No reports on coalition or Iraqi casualties. / AFX/Retures 10:57 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

Artillery strikes? confused.gif Doesn't sound very good.

@Albert: For this kind of stuff you might consider to visit the AA:O board. The video of the AC130 in Afghanistan was very popular over there.

And about the surrenders, indeed, I guess there is a lot of propaganda behind all this surrender negotiation reports... Like those 2 divisions in the south = 2/3 of the troops there. I guess each division feels like the one that is not surrendering and has to face the attacks all alone...

Edit: added link to Alberts post; things are going way to fast for my postings...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,19:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Coalition forces have for the second time enetered Basra after withdrawing earlier today after meeting hard resistance. British military sources say that several British tanks were destroyed in the first attack. After directed artillery strikes, coalition forces could once again enter Basra and have now captured the main street. No reports on coalition or Iraqi casualties. / AFX/Retures 10:57 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

Artillery strikes?  confused.gif Doesn't sound very good.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, from that report coalition forces just called down arty into a major popualtion center...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> British military sources say that several British tanks were destroyed in the first attack.<span id='postcolor'>

Welcome to the cities.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Mar. 21 2003,11:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what are directed artillery strikes?<span id='postcolor'>

Artillery with a forward observer. They probably left a recon team that called in the strikes. It's more precise then a general barrage. It's still however artillery which is in no way precision strikes. If they indeed used it against urban areas then the casualties are going to be enromous. Artillery is about as exact as carpet bombing.

Oh dear, firing artillery shells into heavily populated urban areas.

I'm not going to contribute to this thread much, just read.

Now we are at war i hope we don't get too many people killed.

All this artillery stuff surprises me anyway. Couldn't they also call for air support. If they have a forward observer, he might be able to 'laser paint' the target for LGBs from high altitudes. Or is the air defense a too big danger for such an abroach?

wait...I thought directed artillery was from the Iraqis and directed against british tanks. And I doubt the Iraqis have laser designators (without satelites) nor do they have a proper airforce.