Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Some updates

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

American and British forces initiated an artillery strike early afternoon towards Basra after being repelled by Iraqi defenses. /Al Jazeera News, 11:12 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Saddam Husseins oldest sun Uday was killed Tursday night by the first wave of attacks on Baghdad according to US intelligence officials. /Washington Times, 10:38 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Coalition troops can reach Baghdad in 3-4 days say anonymous british military sources. /Bloomberg News, 10:57 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

B-52 bombers left British bases in the morning. /Bloomberg News, 11:12 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Mar. 21 2003,11:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wait...I thought directed artillery was from the Iraqis and directed against british tanks.<span id='postcolor'>

No, coalition artillery towards Iraqi positions in Basra.

Edit:

A spokesman for the British military said that taking Basra is not a goal for the coalition forces. According to the spokesman coalition forces do not yet have full control over Umm Qasar. /SP/CNN/Bloomberg News, 11:21 CET

<span id='postcolor'>

@Albert: I guess it was more like allied forces advanced to the skirts of Basra, caught some fire (of what kind I don't know), retreated and called for Artillery support that levelled the resistance (or forced it to retreat).

8 B52's have left RAF Fairford in the last hour, there's another 5 on the ramp. Unknown payloads.

Seems like "Shock & Awe" is otw then ....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PHY_Hawkeye @ Mar. 21 2003,13:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unknown payloads.<span id='postcolor'>

Coke and freedom fries? tounge.gif

The picture that I'm getting is this:

1)The western force going for Baghdad has met very little resistance and has pushed forward 150 km. This is a lot for tanks and their logistics. No real resistance has been encountered.

2) The force attacking the south-eastern part, (Basra and Umm Qasr - has had serious problems. The British secretary of defense, Geff Hoon hinted that things have gone bad enough to change the overall plans. There has been no mass surrender of Iraqi soldiers and the regular army is putting up a considerable fight. It's unclear who controls Umm Qasr and Basra now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,13:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's unclear who controls Umm Qasr and Basra now.<span id='postcolor'>

There's apparently a new and an old port of Umm Qasr:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....ag_dc_1

I haven't heard anyone say that Basra is under coalitian control. Seems like there just reaching the outskirts and haven't gone in yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,12:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I haven't heard anyone say that Basra is under coalitian control. Seems like there just reaching the outskirts and haven't gone in yet.<span id='postcolor'>

AFX, Reuters and Al Jazeera News have reported coalition troops on the main street of Basra. They have also confirmed that the first attack on Basra was repelled and two of the sources say that several British tanks were lost. Artillery was called in (confirmed by all so far) and the main street was taken.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AFX, Reuters and Al Jazeera News have reported coalition troops on the main street of Basra.<span id='postcolor'>

Can't find a trace of that on Reuters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AFX, Reuters and Al Jazeera News have reported coalition troops on the main street of Basra.<span id='postcolor'>

Can't find a trace of that on Reuters.<span id='postcolor'>

It's directly from the newsfeed. Probably havn't updated their website yet. They are always lagging behind.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iranian news agencies report that 50 coalition soldiers were killed and equally many captured in the fighting around Basra. /AFX 12:22 CET<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not going to speculate on this one. Iran is not a very unbiased source. It's also however something that the US/UK would never acknowledge at this time.

The one thing I find interesting is that Iraq has made no claims so far. Nothing of the usual "we've destroyed 10000000 of the infidel agressors". That's a bit odd. I wonder if they have changed their policy.

In a press conference shown on the BBC Iraqi Interior and information ministers have reported that the people surrendering so far are not Iraqi soldiers tounge.gif they are some 'other arab soldiers' as part of an american propaganda effort

Apart from that i am hearing that unusually the military are being more upbeat about progress and the politicians are being more downbeat(as Denoir noted with Geoff Hoon)

I will be very sceptical of any of the reports about Basra until i see something more concrete (eg eye witness reports from inside city)

There has been no additional information i have seen about these possible British tank losses but thats to be expected. Most info at moment on TV/radio seems at least four-five hours old

Some 30 oil wells have reportedly been set alight in the south, but many more are said to be safe- i have already seen footage of some marines securing at least one large oil well

-why didnt Saddam destroy all of them?

ABC reporting there's an eyewitness account of Saddam taken out on a stretcher and with an oxygen mask from a hit target on the first night.

Or was it his double? wow.gifcrazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ Mar. 21 2003,14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why didnt Saddam destroy all of them?<span id='postcolor'>

No matches.

Saddam's piggy bank is still intact. There's a $33,000 reward for any Iraqi that kills an American or soldier or knocks down a plane.

Hey! They should get more for a plane! mad.gif

wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,12wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The picture that I'm getting is this:

1)The western force going for Baghdad has met very little resistance and has pushed forward 150 km. This is a lot for tanks and their logistics. No real resistance has been encountered.

2) The force attacking the south-eastern part, (Basra and Umm Qasr - has had serious problems.  The British secretary of defense, Geff Hoon hinted that things have gone bad enough to change the overall plans. There has been no mass surrender of Iraqi soldiers and the regular army is putting up a considerable fight.  It's unclear who controls Umm Qasr and Basra now.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, war is no picknick. If the US and british forces fail in such towns I`m pretty sure they`ll get a lot of problems in Baghdad. Stay tuned for plane-loads of bodybags send to the USA in a week or two and heavy bombing and artillery fire onto those Iraqi towns that fight back until there`s no stone on the other and the US/british ground troops can get in safe. Just let`s hope the civilians which don`t fight get out of there first.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,13:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Saddam's piggy bank is still intact. There's a $33,000 reward for any Iraqi that kills an American or soldier or knocks down a plane.

Hey! They should get more for a plane! mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Way better:

Just sit and wait until a plane goes down by friendly fire or because of other problems then claim it your work. I`d just sit and wait for the americans to do their work and collect the money tounge.gifwink.gif

I just hope the British don't resort to using overwhelming fire support instead of sending in the infantry to properly sort things out.

Edit: i missed the don't before resort!

If the coalition forces already have big problems with Basra wich is Shiite controlled and guarded by draft units only they really experience big problems in and around bagdad.

Unconfirmed sources claimed that one of Saddam´s sons may be in Basra along with his republican guards in parts wich would a bit explain the tough resistance.

The tankrush through unoccupied desert is no wonder. Iraq has no forces there.

Iraq also claims 1 shot down jet and 2 helos on the coalition side now. Along with reports on missile impacts in residential non military locations.

And denoir biggrin.gif Now has it been the palace or not ? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Mar. 21 2003,15:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the coalition forces already have big problems with Basra wich is Shiite controlled.<span id='postcolor'>

Isn't it Suni? Big difference! And who says the Iraqi troops in Basra are Sunis?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Iraq also claims 1 shot down jet and 2 helos on the coalition side now.<span id='postcolor'>

Denied by coalition. Helos were mech/human failures and no planes have been lost.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't it Suni?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes sorry my fault. Got hasty biggrin.gif

The Sunis dislike Saddam as well so a victory in Basra with waving civ´s at the roads would be a big propaganda win for coal forces.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And who says the Iraqi troops in Basra are Sunis?<span id='postcolor'>

I said that only regular drafted troops are in Basra. If the coaltiuon is already experiencing heavy problems here, what will it look like if they face the republican guards ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denied by coalition. Helos were mech/human failures and no planes have been lost. <span id='postcolor'>

Well I said Iraq claimed that they shot down the vehicles. I didn´t say they actually did. That´s what this thread is about. We only talk about things other people report ;-)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ABC reporting there's an eyewitness account of Saddam taken out on a stretcher and with an oxygen mask from a hit target on the first night.<span id='postcolor'>

If Saddam has been injured it could get worse. You know a wounded animal is more dangerouse than a healthy one wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Mar. 21 2003,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And who says the Iraqi troops in Basra are Sunis?<span id='postcolor'>

I said that only regular drafted troops are in Basra. If the coaltiuon is already experiencing heavy problems here, what will it look like if they face the republican guards ?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think anything serious is going on YET in Basra. Wait till the mass up around it and then you'll see sparks flying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denied by coalition. Helos were mech/human failures and no planes have been lost. <span id='postcolor'>

Well I said Iraq claimed that they shot down the vehicles. I didn´t say they actually did. That´s what this thread is about. We only talk about things other people report ;-)<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not arguing with that. I just added that the newswires are reporting a denial to the Iraqi reports. Just another report.