Sign in to follow this  
-Ash-

Falklands mod progress

Wow, that is absolutely amazing- and here was me, thinking that terrain as realistic as that in OFP would never be done notworthy.gif

Last Monday or Tuesday (not sure which) at work I say an image of some 'kit' on one of the mounts in the Falklands.

Safely to say I realised that what we had was c**p and instantly indentified which the offending texture was.

I took another 4-5 hours of fiddling with various textures I had, doing color area repalcements and other things to eventually arrive at the 'base' texture used for above..

Next came the tough bit, doing all merges with the base textures to form all the 'joins'.

I have 6 sets of merges (masks) in psp which I randomly choose which set I use for each individual merge. The means that you can look at my merges between long grass -sand and short grass - rock and the way the merge is doen is different.

This means we have a nice randomized collection with some very interesting merges.

The scary thing is the primary texture pbo which has btw JUST the terrain textures is currently over 50mb!

We aim to please, although tbh we are trying to please ourselves a lot and as any addon maker knows thats the toughest person to please.

The scary thing is the primary texture pbo which has btw JUST the terrain textures is currently over 50mb!

Yep ... huh.gif Quality = Quantity ..... sad_o.gif

I don't care about the size at all as long as it looks good and plays good! smile_o.gif

Its going to be a pig for 56k's, time and patiance are the current solution.

Its going to take about 4 hours to upload this to the team ftp just so they can play it (yep as you may have gathered I on 56k!wink_o.gif

This is only one of a very large set of files, the ships used to be about 40mb, and they got lots of work yet to do on them..

you people like blowing up computers tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif My comps gonna fry and fizzle and go back to Malaysia sad_o.gif

I'm really looking forward to this one...one of the greatest projects so far. notworthy.gif

Looking good, but how's the OFP AI reacting to those rocks?

Usually they're totally flipping out because of rocks.

this is realy nice one mod iam realy looking forward to

gr8 work

Looking really good job, this landscape made good and reallistic.

One cuestion:

In final pic, the Argie soldier it takes a "Mauser"? huh.gif

It is a Mauser, a weapon that although dated was still acurate enough to be considered a 'sniper' weapon in the hands of well trained individuals.

Reading notes of the war I found that use much that gun in the combat by mount Longdon with "prehistoric" night visors (7th infantry regiment).

In another cronics, says used by "comandos" but I did not find anything that confirm.

The M3A1 and the Mausers initially were taken by units that were not in the frontline. For example, the M3A1 used by the support units (flight technicians) of the FAA.

In any case, very good the island that is doing.

wink_o.gif

Although i have left the team (as of about 4-5 months ago) i can tell you that the Harrier inc the GR3 will have correct load outs.

although their site has not been updated for over 3 months with ofp news, which isnt good.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Although i have left the team (as of about 4-5 months ago) i can tell you that the Harrier inc the GR3 will have correct load outs.

although their site has not been updated for over 3 months with ofp news, which isnt good.

The site hasnt been updated beucase Ash hasnt had a PC the last few weeks. Gas is busy with real life and the rest of us are just beavering away in the background.

Implying that the MoD is dead or dying both here and on the FLK boards is rather sad Kev. You know full well it isnt.

i never implyed anything, i simply stated that not updating the site wasnt good.

no no no!

So great mod will dye, even don't think about it!

it's a jocke, right? rofl.gif