DnA

Laws of War DLC Playable Content (Campaign / Showcases / Time Trials)

15 hours ago, pwner said:

You don't need to. Just empty your backpack, pick up the gun off the ground and put it somewhere safe.

Ok so my next question would be, if your in a fire fight with an enemy ai, how do you get them to drop their gun on the ground?

Just now, Romanze said:

Ok so my next question would be, if your in a fire fight with an enemy ai, how do you get them to drop their gun on the ground?

You can't without mods. In Arma 2, they'd just surrender on their own.

1 minute ago, pwner said:

You can't without mods. In Arma 2, they'd just surrender on their own.

And that is what I'm am so confused about. The showcase goes on and on about being humane with injured or incapacitated enemies, but there is no way to put them in those states. So how are we supposed to be humane? Why is there laws in the field manual and what happens if we break the?

One thing about "The Major" mission:

Spoiler

Placing the two mine dispensers on the graveyard basically threw all the mines on top of the church roof or the low building in the corner, as well as gravestones. I was trying this mission multiple time and it always looked as if the enemy simply walked through the minefield without problems. Only later did I detect the mines and saw that they were all over the place, even stuck at the side wall of the church. A hint saying "Stay away from buildings" would be good.

In the airstrike mission where you (read spoiler)

Spoiler

Play as CSAT assaulting the castle, your squad mates have very low skill. They are suppose to be trained specops against not trained guerrilas.(I had one guerilla walking buy, no NVG, my guys opened fire first, and he dropped them both, they were so inaccurate that I had to come and do the job myself).

I would not make CSAT immortal, but max skill, and possibly removing supression and removing aimingerror would make a difference.

13 hours ago, Romanze said:

And that is what I'm am so confused about. The showcase goes on and on about being humane with injured or incapacitated enemies, but there is no way to put them in those states. So how are we supposed to be humane? Why is there laws in the field manual and what happens if we break the?

Here we made the decision to go a bit beyond what vanilla offers (except Revive in End Game e.g.), and also encompass custom scenarios / mods, mil-sim roleplaying and the real world. You're right that it exposes some less-developed aspects in vanilla, but we still believe at least including this information for those who are interested, is worth it :yinyang:

• Like 4

It'd be great if you looked into it for TacOps DLC, or failing that, ArmA4. Rainbow Six had this thing where terrorists would randomly surrender upon facing you, instead of shooting. You could then handcuff them and they'd be out of the fight. We would probably need a more complex system (for example, AI has no way to retreat in good cover, is vastly outmatched and is alone or has lost most of the group it started with), but this is something to think about. Likewise, if Revive gets expanded to have full AI support, it could be an interesting mechanic to allow you to revive and capture enemy units. Enemy medical vehicles would also pose an interesting question and would encourage the player(s) not to be too trigger-happy. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

The memory in classroom where you can hear faint, ghostly children is very very creepy.

Spooky stuff, love the atmosphere. Awesome work!

• Like 1

So, after having put aside Arma for a while, I jumped the DevBranch the second I heard about the new campaign - and it was worth it. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough and totally digged the story and the way it was presented. Overall, the campaign feels very slick and professional. (And both the amount and quality of the voice acting is outstanding.) It let's you forget the clunkyness Arma's still plagued with at times. The mistakes Apex Protocol did, regarding the low difficulty and the weak storytelling, Remnants of War mostly avoided. It's great to see our feedback being taken into account that way. Also, the epmhasis on non-combat missions was something I thought about myself a few times and I'm glad to see it executed so well. From a technical perspective, it ran fine - mostly. Sometimes frames went down for a second when shifting between past and present, and during cutscenes (cool to see the old camera script stuff is still usable by the way) objects would often take a second to fade in. Standard Arma problems mostly, nothing to worry about too much.

Finally, I just loved how I constantly felt reminded of either earlier Arma / OFP campaigns or popular user-made content of our time. Intentional or not, all these little details hidden all over the (pretty well designed) place are a great tribute to the series. In short, the best piece of official SP content for a long time.

Some minor remarks:

• The mine clearing is a bit tedious at times. It's not too bad though.
  • Co-ordinating that cluster bomb strike is quite difficult. I often failed the mission or at least missed some of the targets. (Or hit the IDAP dude in the middle of the village.) I don't seem to have a lot of control over where the buggers land so it was basically trial and error for me.

And a story question:

• If CTRG conducted the air strike, as suggested by the cutscene, why in The East Wind Stavrou is still allied with Miller and his guys? They seemed to have a (positive) past.

• Like 6

CTRG are black-ops and the artillery strike on the town is a false-flag operation. Neither NATO nor FIA or anyone else knows it was Miller. This mission was very well handled in the campaign, imo. At first I was like "oh great, another evil CSAT action" and then suddenly... Awesome. Great idea. Who would believe the CSAT side of the story? "We didn't do it!" .. yeah, right.

PS: I did the airstrike in the first try. It actually made me feel like the scene was scripted, because I just laser-aimed at the cars to the right of the town and BOOM everything went up ablaze like in a movie. Only later I've read that some people keep having problems with it. :D

18 minutes ago, lexx said:

Hide contents

CTRG are black-ops and the artillery strike on the town is a false-flag operation. Neither NATO nor FIA or anyone else knows it was Miller. This mission was very well handled in the campaign, imo. At first I was like "oh great, another evil CSAT action" and then suddenly... Awesome. Great idea. Who would believe the CSAT side of the story? "We didn't do it!" .. yeah, right.

PS: I did the airstrike in the first try. It actually made me feel like the scene was scripted, because I just laser-aimed at the cars to the right of the town and BOOM everything went up ablaze like in a movie. Only later I've read that some people keep having problems with it. :D

Ah, false flag. Yeah, that could be. Another thing though I just recall: he said, they found NATO shell casings. Despite NATO using caseless ammunition, for the 6.5mm at least. :D

I first aimed at the HQ as well, but then I failed because I didn't get the MG gunner. (I was assuming I had multiple CAS strikes as the targets were a few metres apart.) Then I tried pointing halfway between the two enemy positions (basically right on top of the IDAP bloke) until it worked. Still, I don't feel I have an awful lot of control over the clusters so I cannot really do anything to save the IDAP doctor, right? It's just luck basically.

4 hours ago, DnA said:

Here we made the decision to go a bit beyond what vanilla offers (except Revive in End Game e.g.), and also encompass custom scenarios / mods, mil-sim roleplaying and the real world. You're right that it exposes some less-developed aspects in vanilla, but we still believe at least including this information for those who are interested, is worth it :yinyang:

Thank you for clearing this up. I thought I was overseeing something. I was looking in the controls keybinding for ways to surrender and stuff :-) . So it's included for mod support. Am I correct?

Spoiler

In "The Major" mission, the Mk20C has SMG optics instead of the normal rifle optics.

I'm stuck in the IDAP tent where the guy is being treated on the stretcher. I don't know how to get out of the flashback.

You can leave the memory anytime by pressing 'U' (or whichever key you have assigned to team switch).

There should be a hint informing you about it. Just in case, I just tweaked it so the hint won't fade out until you press they key, should be available in the next dev build update.

• Like 3

You can also leave the memory with opening the inventory, by the way. :> That's what I did before I realized you should "officially" press the U-key.

Nearly finished the campaign, just need to clean up now and probably find some memories.

Spoiler

Should have marked the UXOs on the map, can't remember where I found them now...

I really like it, very well made and it's something different from normal Arma missions. The memory effect and switching between the two is impressive.

Something that was a bit unclear for me:

Spoiler

At the start, when finding the mines on the road in front of the barricade, it tells you that if you find AT mines, they can't be cleared by the Bobcat. When later placing the bouncing APERS in the memory, you are told to put them next to the AT mines. The Bobcat then proceeds to just drive through all of them unharmed. Did I miss something there?

Afterwards I only have to clear APERS (according to symbols) with the drone.

On 11.8.2017 at 11:51 AM, thetacticalcat said:

bug report

Hide contents

Bug report for the devs: On the mission where you use mine dispensers in a church, the weapon sight for you AR is an SMG ACO, not the correct type.

So that is why I had to aim so high...

11 hours ago, IndeedPete said:

Hide contents

I first aimed at the HQ as well, but then I failed because I didn't get the MG gunner. (I was assuming I had multiple CAS strikes as the targets were a few metres apart.) Then I tried pointing halfway between the two enemy positions (basically right on top of the IDAP bloke) until it worked. Still, I don't feel I have an awful lot of control over the clusters so I cannot really do anything to save the IDAP doctor, right? It's just luck basically.

Spoiler

I never hit the doctor, but always missed a target until it worked on the fifth try by aiming at a palm tree in the yard in front of the doctor. A bit left, next to, but behind another house. Didn't kill the sniper, but that completed the mission.

The VR strike mission was also a bit of trial and error, but without restarting. Both the wildcat and Abigail drone did nothing for me and the CAS plane with laserguided bomb also never dropped the bomb. I had the laser active on the already disabled truck, everyone else was dead. Had to call in mortar fire until one landed close enough.

On the VR mines mission when the civilians were spawned after clearing the very last objective, 4 of them were thrown in from the side and a few meters in the air. They obviously died on landing, but that didn't seem to count as a casualty, because I was complimented for finding all UXOs.

Found something a bit interesting, in the second mission when you have to answer the call from the reporter, but you have the option to keep declining the call. if you decline 3 times the driver say "are you ever going to answer it?", If you decline again she stops calling and your stuck on a black-screen. I know you are suppose to answer the call, but I think it should give a mission failed or even better, just give the end credits and bring you back to the campaign select screen as if you beat the campaign. 

• Like 2

Few things.

• In Showcase IDAP, the second tent from West in "International Humanitarian Law", Air Conditioner Hose of the tent is clipping to the tent(I don't know how should be but it seems glitchy).
  • In Showcase Laws of War, the enemy entities must speak English but not Farsi, or make them quiet, to prevent criticism(especially from Iran).
  • In Showcase Laws of War, instructor says "Didn't use clusters, wise choice" even if you use clusters in Strikes Sim.
  • In TT11: Downhill Rumble, it is easy to get stuck at the ramp along the stadium.
  • In TT13: Turbulence, you will die with the drone. This is ridiculous.

EDIT:

• In Showcase Laws of War, disable environment sound while inside the tent.

Arma3 is banned in Iran anyway (reason was the conflict vs NATO, if I remember right), so making the soldiers silent for one mission "because" wont change a thing.

25 minutes ago, lexx said:

Arma3 is banned in Iran anyway (reason was the conflict vs NATO, if I remember right), so making the soldiers silent for one mission "because" wont change a thing.

I mean In-game(Armaverse) Iran not real life Iran. If I am a member of IDAP and designer of the sims, I do it.

Would you guys consider fixing :  https://feedback.bistudio.com/T123023

With the new mine enhancements, this command is super important to me as I create missions where mines/IEDs can be buried under the surface and I use this command to make sure this wouldn't happen on rock (asphalt) surfaces.   I'm happy to expand further if needed.  I think the community could benefit from it as well if fixed.  Thank you for the continued support.  

Sincerely, arma fan :)

i can't drop the demining charges in the designated area in the mission with the demining drone, what i'm doing wrong?

solved the problem, i had disassembled the drones and assembled them, so i't didn't work. After a mission restart all works fine now.

Spoiler

20170814183932_1.jpg

I find it utterly ridiculous that in the non combatant VR scenario of the laws of war showcase the hatchback is running over half my squad.

BI should know better than putting AI into moving vehicles in an official mission.

Spoiler

Also my AI teammates took care of that hostile unit before he could even fire a shot. Might use fired eventhandlers to make the unit hostile instead? No idea how this mission is made.

My own player unit shouted out the detection of enemies in the second room while there were none in sight.

It's a bit misleading getting negative comments on how not to shoot civilians if you just shot a guy with a rifle that was standing next to the .50cal on the offroad unloading all rounds on you. Either a weird implementation of the RoE or I misunderstood, someone armed standing next to guys that are shooting at me is not considered hostile?

Also the constant lamenting when being injured is very annoying, haven't noticed this in any other mission, is this new?

Classical stuff really.

:yay:

Cheers

I have a doubt in Showcase IDAP...

Why an unofficial map is used? Is Qom Province in Armaverse?