Well, the planes certainly look like something that could've come out of Ace Combat or another such game... :)

On 3/27/2017 at 3:03 PM, driftingnitro said:

Does this mean I can play Ace Combat in my Arma now?

It's nice, tho I'd love it if it would be possible to add an option to have a completely fixed camera in relation to the plane. I made a an issue with a demo of it somewhere on the feedback tracker ages ago, but can't find it for some reason, but basically it was:

1. Attach a human to the plane at desired offset
  2. Hide human
  3. Switch only the camera to the attached humans perspective
  • Like 1

I'd still love to be able to see my Aircraft's true flight path when pulling G's. When it disappears below the HUD, it can get annoying managing NAP of the Earth scenario's.

3 hours ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

It's nice, tho I'd love it if it would be possible to add an option to have a completely fixed camera in relation to the plane. I made a an issue with a demo of it somewhere on the feedback tracker ages ago, but can't find it for some reason, but basically it was:

1. Attach a human to the plane at desired offset
  2. Hide human
  3. Switch only the camera to the attached humans perspective

Wait, are you saying this made a fixed camera for the jet?

EDIT: I found this from KillzoneKid 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/switchCamera

cam = "Land_HandyCam_F" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
cam hideObject true;
cam attachTo [player, [0,0,10]];
cam setVectorUp [0,0.99,0.01];
cam switchCamera "Internal";
findDisplay 46 displayAddEventHandler ["MouseButtonDown", {
	if (_this select 1 == 0) then {
		player forceWeaponFire [currentMuzzle player, currentWeaponMode player];
	};
	false
}];
findDisplay 46 displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", {
	if (_this select 1 in actionKeys "ReloadMagazine") then {
		reload player;
	};
	false
}];

EDIT 2: 

Holy shit this is everything I ever wanted if it just... ya know... worked.

http://i.imgur.com/Ke4oJXF.gifv

3 hours ago, driftingnitro said:

cam = "Land_HandyCam_F" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
cam hideObject true;
cam attachTo [player, [0,0,10]];
cam setVectorUp [0,0.99,0.01];
cam switchCamera "Internal";
findDisplay 46 displayAddEventHandler ["MouseButtonDown", {
	if (_this select 1 == 0) then {
		player forceWeaponFire [currentMuzzle player, currentWeaponMode player];
	};
	false
}];
findDisplay 46 displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown", {
	if (_this select 1 in actionKeys "ReloadMagazine") then {
		reload player;
	};
	false
}];

EDIT 2: 

With that amount of stuttering? No thank you.

9 hours ago, driftingnitro said:

EDIT 2: 

Yep, tho I think I did it with a human so it wouldn't stutter like that, can't recall.

6 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

It's not like an official option for this in the game would stutter, this is just a hack to get the effect we want.  :dozingoff:

I would very much like to see a simplified autopilot in ArmA 3. What I mean about simplified is that it works as a level stabilizer.

Old IL-2 sturmovik had an arcade-ish approach for this which made it easier for a single player to operate all crew positions without worrying about crashing.

It picture it would work in two possible ways:

• When activated, it will keep the aircraft trimmed with 0 roll and 0 pitch, but it would still allow rudder movement to allow for small course-changes (handy for level bombing).
  • When activated, it will keep the aircraft trimmed with 0 roll and 0 pitch, but allow pilot to override by using stick. When pilot releases stick (to center position) the aircraft will automatically return to 0 roll and pitch.

I could really see the benefit of having something equivalent to "auto-hover" for helicopters.

Fixed wing aircraft could get an "Auto-level" function, that keeps the nose and wings level with the horizon. This would allow the plane to automatically maintain course and altitude while the player can focus on other things, such as map reading, TGP operation or just simply cruise from A to B without manually flying.

"Auto-level" could be either deactivated by selecting it to off in action menu (or keybind), or by moving the controls to a certain threshold to automatically disable it.

On that note, I would like to address the "Landing Autopilot" feature. As far as I know, most military jet fighters do not have autoland, and especially not the type that is in ARMA 3. I believe the intention of the landing autopilot hails back to the old days of Operation Flashpoint, where flight models and max view distance were equally poor. When you can't see the airport, or orient according to it due to game limitations, it becomes necessary to have landing autopilot. However, with arma 3 we now have extended view distance and better flight models with HUD ILS and virtual runways overlayed. This removes much of the need of a landing autopilot. The fact that aircraft physX suspension is making its way into arma also removes the need of a landing autopilot, because landings will most likely be less prone to damage your aircraft.

In other words, maybe it would be the right time to remove the landing autopilot in its entirety? Or at least re-make it so that you have to manually fly the aircraft into the glideslope/ILS beams, before the "landing autopilot" action becomes available. This way it would better mimic real life autoflight, where you have to guide the aircraft onto the ILS system, before handing it over to the autoland system. Share your thoughts?

• Like 2

In an old and simple flight aim I used to play, you had 3 options. Autopilot that's keeps you straight, Autopilot that keeps you on a bank, and autopilot that lands you. I think that an Autopilot straight and level would be fine. A highly detailed autopilot isn't needed really.

14 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

Fixed it just for you fam :wink_o:

http://i.imgur.com/y0ZZaw0.gifv

_cam = "camera" camcreate (getpos player);  
_cam switchCamera "internal";  

_cam setdir getDir (vehicle player);  

_cam attachto [vehicle player, [0,-15,4],"camera"];

• Like 2

i feel this is needed with focus put on the jets. the default 3rd person camera is pretty irritating. never was a fan of it. overall it would be cool if vehicle configs in general would get an array parameter where one could define several options. offset and behavior. so one could define as many cameras as one wants with each their own parameters.

...a 'hold bank' auto pilot would be very useful indeed. With firewill's new A-10c mod, there will be a lot of orbiting going on. Once the magic radar is gone and we actually need to find targets with a 'pod', orbiting is gonna be a must. I often use that feature in dcs as a matter of fact. Anyway, i was pretty sceptical when i heard about jets dlc the first time. But with 64 bit and what always happens with new or enhanced mechanics: it spurs community development and provides for some awesome mods down the road.

hold bank would also require copious amount of rudder too, because in A3 you can bank all you want, you barely turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x3kj said:

hold bank would also require copious amount of rudder too, because in A3 you can bank all you want, you barely turn.

in my humble opinion this is a change they need to revert back to what it was originally. Earlier versions of A3, and A2 as well,had the aircraft yawing while banking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bad benson said:

i feel this is needed with focus put on the jets. the default 3rd person camera is pretty irritating.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:50 PM, Sniperwolf572 said:

It's nice, tho I'd love it if it would be possible to add an option to have a completely fixed camera in relation to the plane.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:41 AM, dragon01 said:

Well, the planes certainly look like something that could've come out of Ace Combat

On 3/28/2017 at 6:15 AM, nodunit said:

Guess its time to make a Razgriz scheme.

Rejoice, an informative comparison of what's on devBranch versus my hacked together version and it's not too bad. I think most people can work with this.

I like the Dev Branch version better. Here's why though, yours isn't bad, it's awesome, but the Dev Branch version has been a long time coming for me. It improves situational awareness, and allows the ability to look around up right while not being in first person. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

in my humble opinion this is a change they need to revert back to what it was originally. Earlier versions of A3, and A2 as well,had the aircraft yawing while banking.

This will be brought back, and in fact is present on Caesar BTT. While the aircraft currently turns too slowly when banked, it is possible to have a good flight model with what we have now, it's just not configured properly on most planes.

1 hour ago, dragon01 said:

This will be brought back, and in fact is present on Caesar BTT. While the aircraft currently turns too slowly when banked, it is possible to have a good flight model with what we have now, it's just not configured properly on most planes.

Well I'll be damned, it does too.  Hopefully they bring this back for the other aircraft.

11 hours ago, darksidesixofficial said:

I like the Dev Branch version better. Here's why though, yours isn't bad, it's awesome, but the Dev Branch version has been a long time coming for me. It improves situational awareness, and allows the ability to look around up right while not being in first person. 

It's all fine and dandy until you start moving the camera around, then it becomes super annoying. Look left, do a roll, camera snapping like mad all over the place.

8 hours ago, dragon01 said:

Too slowly when banked - this is precisely the problem and i havent seen a way to improve that by config, which doesnt involve "trimming" the pitch so that the plane increases elevation all the time if you dont force it down.

@Imperator[TFD]

A2 had autorudder function (applies rudder when you bank automatically) which they removed due to beeing "unrealistic" but not doing anything to fix the issues with the FM that make it behave wrong.

my findings indicate that there must be something seriously wrong with how the forces get calculated, when a constant force in one direction does not cause any acceleration

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/157525-fixed-wing-flight-model-dev-branch/?do=findComment&comment=2722780

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/157525-fixed-wing-flight-model-dev-branch/?do=findComment&comment=2722855

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/157525-fixed-wing-flight-model-dev-branch/?do=findComment&comment=2723094

5 hours ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

It's all fine and dandy until you start moving the camera around, then it becomes super annoying. Look left, do a roll, camera snapping like mad all over the place.

That's why they updated it, "smoothly follows" now is what it said in the changelog on dev branch, unless it doesn't actually do what it's intended...

1 hour ago, x3kj said:

Too slowly when banked - this is precisely the problem and i havent seen a way to improve that by config, which doesnt involve "trimming" the pitch so that the plane increases elevation all the time if you dont force it down.

BIS can do this by tweaking things in-engine, I believe. I hope they get to it sooner rather than later. The recent changelogs were rather trim, so I suspect that they're working on something big that's taking up most of their time.

• Like 1

Probably (hopefully), the Dynamic Loadout feature. It's pretty solid but there's still not way to use it during a game like intended. So it's likely with the recent small additions of Drones using it, they're probably polishing up the first iterations of in game use.

52 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

BIS can do this by tweaking things in-engine, I believe. I hope they get to it sooner rather than later.

Except they said they are not going to fix the in-engine FM. They only fiddle with configs. Instead of a middleground between "nothing done"  and "entirely new FM" they chose nothing.

Where did they said that? Last time I checked, they said they're not replacing the flight model, like some people had suggested, but only tweaking the current one. At no point did any of the devs say that any engine-side tweaks are off the table. That's a ridiculous assertion.

• Like 1