Jump to content
Damian90

Tanks DLC Feedback

Recommended Posts

On 4/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, Ex3B said:

Just a very very very minor nitpick:

Why is the Rhino listed as an APC, but the Nyx is listed as a tank? Neither one carries infantry. Neither one is a main battle tank. They are both armored fighting vehicles... maybe they should do like earlier Armas and just combine everything into "armored", after all, the tanks category is not very full. It would basically be the APC category + 1 AA vehicle, and 1-3 tanks (NATO: Slammer/Slammer Up; CSAT: Varsuuk, Angara, Angara K, AAF: Kuma, Nyx variants)

 

Or combined all of them into "AFVs"

 

Or alternatively, "Tracked" and "Wheeled"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.4.2018 at 5:11 PM, oukej said:

Rhino
* 600kW
* 3000 Nm @ 1600 RPM
* 2400 max. RPM
* 6 gears, 1 rev.; drive ratios: 5.7, 3.1, 2.4, 1.72, 1.20, 0.82; final drive 4.8
As u can see it's quite buffed when compared to its African real-life inspiration :)

 

 

 What is the suggested weight empty / combat ready?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does somebody know how to map analogue steering to the tracked vehicle?

Steering wheel doesn't work at all with anologue left/right but maybe there is a way to map a pedals to achieved some kind od left/right track analogue throttle?

 

BTW there is ridiculous issue when six wheeled, couple of tons vehicle can be stopped from 100 km/h to 0 km/h by a road works sign or other small objects this kind.

Also armoured wheeled vehicle can explode (!) when you will try to go forward when you are locked by a small stone you can't pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUG: Group will not follow waypoint after entering vehicles assigned using addVehicle.

 

I've added a task in the feedback tracker with a repro mission, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else has noticed this either:

 

If any group is given a waypoint and has a vehicle in either "Wheeled_APC_F" or "Tank_F", they will not complete their waypoint. The vehicle has been assigned to the group using (group) addVehicle (vehicle). They will enter the vehicle appropriately, but they will never move to the waypoint. Any vehicle of any other class will work just fine.

 

Note, this is not due to the commander position, as not all of the vehicles in those classes have a commander position. I first noticed this when going from Main Branch to the Tanks Update (not RC, official update).

 

EDIT: One work around is to wait until after the units have entered the vehicle. Then change their group (steps below) and reassign the waypoint. They will behave as normal.

 

Bug Report: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T128274

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup.

The Rhino is really a disappointment for me:

 

  • not fast
  • main canon is the same as a MBT hence not such a tank buster
  • very weak even with ERA (in the DLC showcase, against the MBT, it's a 1 hit kill, everytime)

Concerning the FCS, still annyoing issue.

We can't just have the laser range, when I use laser it automatically engage FCS.

 

For instance, I had a vehicle, I lase for it.

Then it stops.

I have good range, crosshair right on the middle of it, but as I didn't refresh the FCS, the shot went 3 meters away from the target.

 

With this system, we gotta keep spamming the laser range to pursue a target - quite annoying.

 

Isn't there a way to have both laser range AND FCS not linked together?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Wiki

Hurr a wheeled AFV can't brawl with MBT's durr
Hurr FCS doesn't work like aimbot durr
Hurr I can't just circle around MBTs like light tanks in WoT durr

All You do is just nag on new features even before You learn how they work.
Just learn to play, Jesus.

Spoiler

AkIHkqP.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RealCombat said:

@Wiki

Hurr a wheeled AFV can't brawl with MBT's durr
Hurr FCS doesn't work like aimbot durr
Hurr I can't just circle around MBTs like light tanks in WoT durr

All You do is just nag on new features even before You learn how they work.
Just learn to play, Jesus.

  Reveal hidden contents

AkIHkqP.jpg

 

Pfffff

Learn to read dummy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wiki said:

The Rhino is really a disappointment for me:

 

  • not fast
  • main canon is the same as a MBT hence not such a tank buster
  • very weak even with ERA (in the DLC showcase, against the MBT, it's a 1 hit kill, everytime)

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

  • the rhino is faster than all the MBTs
  • MBTs are also designed to take out other MBTs hence the rhino having the same gun isn't that surprising by the way the rhino has ATGMs, which will kill any MBT with a top down attack with 1 rocket
  • it's fast, so it can't weigh much, they haven't invented armor that doesn't weigh anything yet.
12 hours ago, Wiki said:

With this system, we gotta keep spamming the laser range to pursue a target - quite annoying

Or maybe, just maybe one could manually compensate for vehicles moving.  It does require a little bit of practice and isn't point and click I know.  But it should be doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wiki said:

Concerning the FCS, still annyoing issue.

We can't just have the laser range, when I use laser it automatically engage FCS.

 

For instance, I had a vehicle, I lase for it.

Then it stops.

I have good range, crosshair right on the middle of it, but as I didn't refresh the FCS, the shot went 3 meters away from the target.

 

When engaging a moving vehicle which keeps accelerating/decelerating/turning, I've learnt that it's best to lase the target but then tap PageUP or PageDown which will disable the FCS's auto leading so I can then fire the shot while leading the target manually instead. I've found better success using this method when firing at an erratic vehicle. In this way, PageUp and PageDown acts like a "drop target lead" button which I believe the IRL modern FCSs have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, a_killer_wombat said:

 

When engaging a moving vehicle which keeps accelerating/decelerating/turning, I've learnt that it's best to lase the target but then tap PageUP or PageDown which will disable the FCS's auto leading so I can then fire the shot while leading the target manually instead. I've found better success using this method when firing at an erratic vehicle. In this way, PageUp and PageDown acts like a "drop target lead" button which I believe the IRL modern FCSs have.

 

Yup, I think I'll do that instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stanhope said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

  • the rhino is faster than all the MBTs
  • MBTs are also designed to take out other MBTs hence the rhino having the same gun isn't that surprising by the way the rhino has ATGMs, which will kill any MBT with a top down attack with 1 rocket
  • it's fast, so it can't weigh much, they haven't invented armor that doesn't weigh anything yet.

 

- It's not much faster - especially offroad.

- Yeah, I get that 2nd point, but I mean: it's said to be a tank buster, but it's just like another MBT, just weaker.

- Then again, I don't find it that fast and the ERA protection are not really useful against direct hit.

 

To be honest,  I'd rather be in a MBT than in a Rhino.

Doing pretty much the same damage but better protection, the choice is easy.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wiki said:

To be honest,  I'd rather be in a MBT than in a Rhino.

Doing pretty much the same damage but better protection, the choice is easy.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

 

I don't think the Rhino was intended to fight MBTs face to face. The term "tank destroyer" is outdated and gives the wrong impression (I honestly think it was a mistake for BI to label it as such). The real-life Rooikat, which the Rhino is based on, is actually intended to be a reconnaissance vehicle rather than a front-line brawler. It has relatively high mobility and a low silhouette making it ideal for stealthy scouting ahead of a main force (such as an MBT company/platoon), identifying enemy positions while remaining undetected and then reporting this intel back to the main force so that they can exploit any weaknesses in enemy defence. With the Rhino's powerful main gun, it has the ability to engage an unsuspecting high value target, if the opportunity presents itself, and then immediately retreat to cover and concealment. The gun also helps the Rhino in self-defence if surprised during a scout mission.

 

The Rhino does have some key roles to play on the battlefield, it's just perhaps more specialised than the do-it-all MBTs and thus should be employed with more consideration.

 

EDIT: The Rhino also has the benefit of being both light enough and small enough to be para-dropped by the Blackfish which makes it the perfect armoured vehicle to support paratroopers behind enemy lines. This is a similar role to which the real-life 2S25 Sprut-SD light tank plays for the Russian VDV (russian paratroopers). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, a_killer_wombat said:

 

  "tank destroyer"

 

 

a10-thunderbolt-jet-aircraft-1048900.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 8:38 AM, Wiki said:

 

- It's not much faster - especially offroad.

 

 

Wheeled vehicles are never great offroad IRL either, it's just how track/wheel works.

Abrams are actually faster offroad than much lighter Stryker.

 

And as I already said, FCS is fine. I have played a lot of tank sim like Steelbeast, current Arma3 FCS is very similar to that one.

My friend was a real world tank gunner, also agrees that current FCS is realistic enough, except lack of airburst for MPT rounds.

 

----

BTW, it seems there was plan to include programmable rounds at some point, or at least the script was there.

MPT from autocannon sometimes failed to explode at impact if incorrect distance was imput, this is very noticeable when using 40mm gun on NATO APC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Considering the new damage mechanics and additional weapons in the Tanks DLC i would recommend that a SACLOS HEAT missile magazine would be added for the Titan.

 

The Titan AT system is currently challenging to balance in missions. The "Fire and forget" combinded with thermals operation means that it can easily distort the balance by on gunner taking out several tanks... and also basically requires no skill of the player (lock and fire). Adding a new magazine is a really small addition, but would help mission builders to balance the titan according the player count and available assets on the map. 

 

The Titan already has the M_Titan_AP SACLOS missile so adding a magazine would "only" be a matter of copying the configs and adding a heat warhead. This would give a option for better reach weapon than with the NLAW and MAAWS, but still require the gunner to track the target until it hits (thus being exposed and vulnerable for counter attack). Also it would nicely balance the current CSAT Vorona.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Tanks DLC recently and just wonder if there are any new keys I need to know about above and beyond the standard game keys, is there a list somewhere?

For example I found out by accident that Ctrl-R starts/stops the Nyx (Recon) radar spinning.

PS- what does the radar DO anyway, does it just spin for eye-candy purposes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

I bought Tanks DLC recently and just wonder if there are any new keys I need to know about above and beyond the standard game keys, is there a list somewhere?

For example I found out by accident that Ctrl-R starts/stops the Nyx (Recon) radar spinning.

PS- what does the radar DO anyway, does it just spin for eye-candy purposes?

Ctrl+R turns radar on/off on all vehicles that have radar. So the Nyx (Recon), some AA vehicles, some planes and some helicopters (I may have forgotten something).

Radar works as it should (limited by gameplay reasons, engine).

You can detect both air and ground targets with radar dependant on the radar range and the target size/ stealth.

Detected targets can be sent to other friendly units via datalink so they don't have to use their own radar if they even have one.

 

So for example the Nyx Recon can provide targets for the Nyx AA that doesn't have a radar and is otherwise only able to detect targets with it's IR sensor that is pretty limited in range.

This combination is more effective than just the AA variant sitting somewhere.

 

Having your radar active leads also to you being locatable by passive radar sensors of jets and helicopters. Aircraft with anti-radiation sensors can even target the radar source what is not a at the moment though because there are no anti-radiation weapons in game. There are mods for this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×