krazikilla

POLL: New Update - regarding new font and sound

New Update - Font and sound  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Was the old one or is the new font better?

• old one is better
    • new one is better
  2. 2. Do the new sounds sound too far in distance?

• new sounds sound too far
    • new sounds are just right

I like the new update, but i dont like 2 things:

- fonts, for me the new font is way harder readable.  Best example is in lobby, text for bluefor, redfor and so on.

- the new sounds sound awesome, but i have the feeling that even in town combat, the bullet cracks and shots sound too far in distance, it sounds like its like 800+ metes away, not just 200 meters.

• Like 1

For me, the new font is better to read and bigger. The sounds are better than it was, but it needs to be improved, sounds give the feeling that everything is far away.

The new font is a wrong step in a right direction. Separate letters are more readable due to font thickness but overall texts are less readable due to unreasonable density.

There is literally 0 (zero) reasons to have a font with such density in a fullscreen game in an era of 18"+ monitors, let alone in a military sandbox where text readability is at times very important.

• Like 2

The old font made it difficult to tell the difference between certain numbers. The new one is better.

The sounds are still WIP (I hope). The distances certainly aren't right yet.

• Like 1

I think there should be an option to switch between both, but I do like the new font.

Nice to see an poll regarding these issues.

I find the font easier to read, but as others have said it's a bit blander.

The new sounds do sound great at distance, and testing them against an old feedback tracker mission I created shows rifles, autocannon and helicopters can all be heard from further away now.

The issue I have with them is the frequency dropoff effects seem very aggressive, so that even gunfire within 20m of me sounds quite distant.

Been playing KoTH lately and noticed that shots from 500 meters away sound as if they are at least 1k away if not more. Even closer sounds have too much reverb on them.

And font, I can't say anything good about it. It's too bold and too dense (1920x1080p 21inch monitor here).

The sounds are better than before for sure, but I agree on the fact that the positional audio isn't as good as it could be. This has been a reoccurring issue though if I recall. Audio is in the right place in terms of left/right up/down, but not at the right distance. I do like the font better though, much clearer to read.

They might as well have used comic sans bold, thats how much i hate the new font, what a shit design choice imo.. they could have at least gone with a similar feel so its not so jarring.

Sounds are a great step in the right direction, currently some mods are still doing a better job but it would be great if sounds got to a point where a sound mod is not required.

Sounds depend on a lot of things starting with the headphones/speakers, also any 5.1,7.1,3D sound software in between changes the sounds a lot. I´m personally trying to keep my headphones as "flat" as possible and with the new soundscape I keep audio effects almost on full (70-80%). It seems that BI changed the "dynamic range" of the sounds so that loud and silent sounds are further apart. This way, independent of general sound level a shot fired will always sound considerable louder than a footstep.

However, earlier I wasn´t able to keep audio effects on max. as the vehicle- and battlesounds would compeletely drown out Task Force Radio conversations. With the new update I don´t have that problem in the same degree as before. Direct or radio audio is much more audible in vehicles than before... which would mean that vehicle sounds compared to gunshots are now further apart in db:s as I haven´t changed my TFR settings in any way. Earlier I used about 20% on the sound effects.

TL;DR, the new sounds are great, maybe a little tweaking here and there but nothing serious. :)

Been playing KoTH lately and noticed that shots from 500 meters away sound as if they are at least 1k away if not more. Even closer sounds have too much reverb on them.

The sounds are still WIP (I hope). The distances certainly aren't right yet.

The issue I have with them is the frequency dropoff effects seem very aggressive, so that even gunfire within 20m of me sounds quite distant.

Ye, as i said, the new sounds sound really good, but i dont get how anyone can think the "range- distance" of the soudns is anywhere near correct. I mean 75% say its just fine how it is. Have they ever tryed in the editor listen to a firefight 50m 100m 200m 500m from one?  A 5 minutes  test and you realize that it doesnt fit at all, yet.

I am really wondering that so many people in the poll cannot hear the very clear FACT that the sounds feel like completly unreasonable far even when a gun just fires 50 meters or smth next to you.

I think a lot of people are just polling without even trying it.

I expected like 90% realize that, not just 25% :P

From the brief testing I've done I can say I'm not over joyed with the new sounds. Reverb sounds like someone just discovered they had FX on their sound desk and thought it would be a good idea to try it out. It sounds really over done, I think a big issue is that reverb is meant to be a reflection from a nearby surface but it sounds like it's coming from the gun itself.

I really hope this is a WIP because the sounds are God awful, I've been doing sound for many years and I would never run that much reverb across any mix even if I was asked to by the artist. FX should be used subtlety and should reflect the environment your in better than what it has in this last patch. I love the fact that BI are trying to implement changes but I don't like that the bad ones are making it into the stable branch. 

Luckily we run our own mod packs that have custom sounds for nearly everything, will save my ears for a little while longer at least.

• Like 1

Some of the sounds are better, like the rifle sounds.  Some of them just aren't accurate, like explosions in the distance, they just kaboom, when in reality they should go swack-boom. 

I think BI developers would benefit greatly from going to a military firing range and actually hearing things go boom.  The same goes for helicopters, they did a pretty good job with AFM, but the way collisions with objects are handled is pitiful.

They drove a tank, they flew a helicopter and they shot weapons on the range.The proof is somewhere deep in their older tweets.

I'm sure someone can back me up.

(you can see tank in their dev diary video, and they flew helicopter to faithfully recreate it in "take on helicopters."Also ex project lead

loves flying helicopters - check his report in on arma 3 website)

I asked about collisions during livestream on release of helicopter DLC and situation is following.When helicopter collides with something

it has usually high speed but not necessary and it clips through terrain.That clipping engine translates into explosion.Is not what developers

want but fixing it requires time and programmer while their other tasks are in full swing such as eden expansion.Even if they would put someone

on the task of fixing it's my understanding that it would be complicated task when so many technologies are interconnected.Kinda like

playing mikado.I have faith that they can pull anything though as we learned from Eden editor and new sound technologies.

They drove a tank, they flew a helicopter and they shot weapons on the range.The proof is somewhere deep in their older tweets.

(you can see tank in their dev diary video, and they flew helicopter to faithfully recreate it in "take on helicopters."Also ex project lead

They actually OWN a tank (a T72 I think, though I'm not 100% sure if my memory is correct).

EDIT: I was right

• Like 1

Blame me whatever you want,

But the sound was much better in first days of A3 (and i can prove it).

Peace.

I'm a vet, I've made a lot of things go boom, and heard a lot of things  go boom at different distances.  The way things go boom in arma 3 isn't in line with reality.

I'm thinking it's a similar problem as with the helicopters.  They know it's not quite right, but can't figure how to fix it.  It would great if they could, cause it's the little attention to details and realism that make a game more enjoyable.

I'm not happy with the current sound balance. Some rifle sounds seem to have too much reverb, with others, it's completely missing, like the heavy sniper rifles (Lynx). The distant sounds, sound way too distant at close ranges. And I might be confused now,

but it seems that some rifle sounds reverted to old primary samples (Mk20)? I'm surprised it doesn't seem possible to balance and complete this properly in Dev branch.

Blame me whatever you want,

But the sound was much better in first days of A3 (and i can prove it).

Peace.

Ok this I gotta hear?