germanske_norge

Arma 3 flinching mechanics

Why are they so bad and unrealistic? People do like a half backflip when they get hit then immediately go back to normal, it's extremely odd and kills the atmosphere, is there any kind of mod that fixes this and the death animations? 

• Like 1

Why are they so bad and unrealistic? People do like a half backflip when they get hit then immediately go back to normal, it's extremely odd and kills the atmosphere, is there any kind of mod that fixes this and the death animations? 

TPW adds an anim where if someone is shot while running or is too close to an explosion they are knocked off their feet-AI and Players. I agree with you though-they look like they have elastic spines ;)

Absolutely terribad.

Pretty sure ragdolls of 95' killled these erhm, ragdolls. The worst is when there is delayed reaction only to have the dearly departed yanked up by seeming puppet strings into a moucku-exorcism-flop.

Pray to god this gets upgraded for the expansion.

• Like 1

Mechanics are ok.

Probably you are experiencing some form of lag/delay.

Check your hardware configuration and/or network conditions.

^^^Nah I only play SP. What I mean is I could understand if the target was 'up'-ended' by a shot - while not realistic thats kinda like physics fun. Totally unrelated to location of hit with merely the target being picked up then slammed down in a totally arbitrary way is what im seeing.

• Like 1

Mate, ragdoll is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcWr4z7e8w

You obviously didn't understand what I was getting at, look at the reactions the characters make when they get shot (flinching) it looks absolutely horrendous, and that is not at all what I consider a "perfect rag doll". I've seen plenty of footage of people getting shot and killed and not once have I ever seen someone react even close to what they do in this game, how can you have a realistic shooter with death animations that would make Call of Duty's look nobel prize worthy?

• Like 1

Yeah, the current flinching is terrible. 6 x 7.62x39 to the torso at 500 meters, and all the AI does is little flinch and then returns fire imediately. Only died after the 6th hit.

AI even survived, and imediately returned fire after direct hit from .50cal sniper, dead center to the torso, with just a flinch. .50cal! Aint noone telling me there is returning fire after being hit by f*king .50cal.

Othervise the game looks perfect to me.

Not only is flinching bad (and none of the modders can fix it for BIS, unfortunately :( ), but also a dead body feels pretty weightless when falling. Killed people touch the ground way heavier than that.

It'd be great to see reactions of soldiers when they helmet or rifle gets hit and the bullet ricochets. I suppose that scares any individual a lot. Also, when hit by a large caliber, an AI should go down or drop their weapon on the ground out of shock.

Character realism is a long way to come, sadly. Or perhaps we simply want too much :)

I first place I want to say that I am guy who do not have nothing to hide (or fear). in matters of pointing flaws.

With that said, A.I. is the best thing that this game has.

This is not Hollywood where a guy hit by a bullet flies 3 meters.

I don't know if any of you ever saw some one being put down by a bullet, but I can say that this game reflects what really happens (inside of what is possible in a video game).

In matters of "flinching" do not forget that the A.I. in this game is not following predetermined paths (like some other games), they just. adapt and adjust the gameplay according to circumstances, which are dictated by your moves.

I will say,, A.I. (bots) are just amazing in this game.

Make complaints about performance, sound or whatever, but dont you dare to complain about A.I. because as a bots they are better than average human players.

I first place I want to say that I am guy who do not have nothing to hide (or fear). in matters of pointing flaws.
I don't know if any of you ever saw some one being put down by a bullet, but I can say that this game reflects what really happens (inside of what is possible in a video game).
In matters of "flinching" do not forget that the A.I. in this game is not following predetermined paths (like some other games), they just. adapt and adjust the gameplay according to circumstances, which are dictated by your moves.
Make complaints about performance, sound or whatever, but dont you dare to complain about A.I. because as a bots they are better than average human players.

Man are you high? Guy hit in the chest with .50 who just flinches and returns fire imediately is not good AI, it is just bullshit. Guy geting 5 hits from 7.62 rifle who just flinches, returns fire, and waits patiently on the same spot for that sixth final bullet, is not ok. Its Gamebreaking.  

Noone here wants them to fly 3Metres ofter being hit, we just want them to react to the hit. 

• Like 6

I agree they are amazing but that has nothing to do with ragdoll.

This. is. marvelous. Great weapon catching skills, yeah!

• Like 1

Excellent video, 2nd ranger. It shows that less than a second after being hit, the AI opponent is back and lethal

Mate, thats by default and is due to CSAT training.
They are taught to simulate the weapon drop (when they are under fire), in the hope that they can trick the enemy and then take them down, by surprise.
Tell me, there is AI more perfect than this?
  • Like 1

Is there no way to manually control animation triggers? I'm pretty new to scripting in A3, so I'm not really sure. Seems like you could break the trigger between the AI/player getting hit and activating the "flinch" animation?

Is there no way to manually control animation triggers? I'm pretty new to scripting in A3, so I'm not really sure. Seems like you could break the trigger between the AI/player getting hit and activating the "flinch" animation?

That's the thing, I don't think it is actually an animation, its simply the game throwing the character into rag-doll and snapping it back once it realises the character hasn't sustained enough damage to actually warrant killing it. Apart from disabling rag-doll and going back to the static death animations of OFP/ArmA1/ArmA2 I'm not sure if there is any way for us (i.e. the community) to un-fuck fix it.

• Like 1

My recommendation for a better ragdoll effect WITHOUT the hideous flinching animation......Opticalsnare's Flying Bodiies mod.  I have been using it for months, through the Nexus and Eden updates and it still works well.

The mod has the obvious caveat of extreme physics when using explosives or grenades, but for infantry combat with just firearms, the mod solves the horrible flinching animation.

Opticalsnare shared a cool post for tweaking the physics parameters to suite personal tastes.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/162064-flying-bodies-physics-mod/?p=2538399

My recommendation for a better ragdoll effect WITHOUT the hideous flinching animation......

Mate, this mod just ruined my screen, I am seeing everything black and white.

Anyway for those who complain about AI driving skills. There you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZjLG0Q9BLM&feature=youtu.be&t=1m30s''>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZjLG0Q9BLM&feature=youtu.be&t=1m30s'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZjLG0Q9BLM&feature=youtu.be&t=1m30s

Aren't ragdolls done with PhysX just like the vehicle physics (which are really awful)?