Tom_48_97

Terrain Processor

Just want to report something I noticed. I'm not running any beta branches and im not sure if this is the way its supposed to be or not.. It just looks off.

I'm trying to use Area High Density Cluster, the shapefile is right next to terrain processor's .exe file to minimize problems. Now - here's the thing..

I get instant crash on pressing run..
I looked into "Export Options", and it says "P:\\" ... I tried to change that to P:\TerrainProcessor, thinking that might be the problem, but it forces that P:\\ back behind it, so now it says "P:\\P:\Terrainprocessor"..

Don't know if the error is caused by the programs forced double \\, or something else, but there it is.

Thought i would give this a try , but when i try and use it to flatten my roads i get an instance Crash and it just exits !

Anyone else having issues ?

Thought i would give this a try , but when i try and use it to flatten my roads i get an instance Crash and it just exits !

Anyone else having issues ?

Well mine doesn't crash but nothing changes, I get a larger .asc file exactly the same as the source.

Well mine doesn't crash but nothing changes, I get a larger .asc file exactly the same as the source.

Im pretty sure your heightmap and polylines aren't in same position by gps coordinates and the smoothing happens outside the heightmaps borders. If you import your heightmap and shapelines to TB, or QGIS, they should fit exactly in same position right away for Terrain Processor to work. If you have to change positions for example in TB:s layer properties options, they do not match.

Shape lines done with TB won't work either - they lack coordinates or something, dunno. I succest you to download QGIS, import your heightmap to it and draw lines with it. This way polylines will work.

Shape lines done with TB won't work either - they lack coordinates or something, dunno. I succest you to download QGIS, import your heightmap to it and draw lines with it. This way polylines will work.

Really ? It would explain why nothing happens but surely a BI product should work with another BI product, otherwise what's the point ?

Be nice to get an official answer here, do polylines exported from TB work with TP ?

Yea but keep in mind whole tool is still under development. :) Anyway this is just my guess.

I think the whole idea of Terrain Processor is put all the Geographical Information System data available online to use in Arma. The ammount of data there is, DEMs, roads, buildings, forests, fields, power line locations, that exists is nothing more than insane if you get it all to the game. We're talking about generating whole maps based on real life regions automatically. :P

QGIS is a free software that is used to handle GIS data and it does the job so well I hope BI will integrate it to map making process.

Hi,

you have to check data in GIS software. TB is not GIS tool and it can export wrong shape coordinates. Download QGIS and try import all your data into it. It looks like data aren't on the same place. 

Hi,

you have to check data in GIS software. TB is not GIS tool and it can export wrong shape coordinates. Download QGIS and try import all your data into it. It looks like data aren't on the same place. 

So do i import my existing terrain height.asc into QGIS, then through TP before going back to TB ? I'm not following you here, i'd like to use TP, I just presumed TB and TP would work in harmony.

I really like to see that tools like this are being created by the Arma 3 Tools makers, and this tool in particular promises so much easier mass object placement and sometimes it does great job at doing that if you can handle the 20 crashes you will have per session you are using this tool. If you guys need some logs about my crashes, feel free to throw me a path where you keep the crash logs because I have about 40 of those logs if they are being created per crash.

I hope this tool will be updated more and these crash issues are solved.

every task i do in TP causes it to crash, and im using GIS-Arcmap for esri and QGIS and i know the UTMs are correct and matching but if i try and do the dem convert in TP it crashes on the spot

i dont get this terrain processor thing, i try and do a ASC from it but it asks for a ASC to convert from, and when i load it in and hit the run button if crashes/freezes, and now all my files cant be seen in TB its saying not in right area then i reproject them to the mapframe and then it says no data found, i think BI tried to make something that is as shitty as TB just a new name TP

Not too sure how to use the road integrator.  I get a LTB file, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to import that into Terrain Builder.

i dont get a LBT file i just get a ASC

That would be excellent.  What settings do you have in the options?

I turned off the lbt and shp check box and when I put my raster/dem in it requires me to make an output .ASC, I'm still just testing it out but I loaded it into TB and I seen on one road it smoothed it so you have to be careful on what it wants to smooth so I know I have to make a new shaped Ile of just areas where I want it smooth

BI Guy #1 - Hey lets make a road smoothing tool to help with terrain building

BI Guy #1 - We'll make it super easy, export from TB into TP, job done

BI Guy #2 - Hang on, company policy dictates we make life super hard for the community

BI Guy #1 - Damn yeah, ok lets make it 100% not compatible, that'll really fuck with them <insert evil laugh>

BI Guy #2 - Hey boss we made a tool that is not compatible with any of the tools, it requires a non-BI 3rd party tool to work

BI Boss - Perfect, let's release it and make a big song and dance about it
  • Like 6

does this look like it should for an outcome?

my concern is the "objects created; 0".  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVkyqKfsc0UkktbXhLc0VpMnc/view?usp=sharing

my shapefile is in the path "p\spooks\machloop\data\roads\roads.shp

My DEM is Input file name: "p\spooks\machloop\source\heightmap.asc

My output file name is : "p\spooks\machloop\source\heightmap1.asc

I click ok, this then sets the task ready to run. I run it and I get the result in the image above. there has to be a mistake somewhere in this because I can not seem to see any change in the heighmap regarding smoothness where there are roads.

does this look like it should for an outcome?

my concern is the "objects created; 0".  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGVkyqKfsc0UkktbXhLc0VpMnc/view?usp=sharing

my shapefile is in the path "p\spooks\machloop\data\roads\roads.shp

My DEM is Input file name: "p\spooks\machloop\source\heightmap.asc

My output file name is : "p\spooks\machloop\source\heightmap1.asc

I click ok, this then sets the task ready to run. I run it and I get the result in the image above. there has to be a mistake somewhere in this because I can not seem to see any change in the heighmap regarding smoothness where there are roads.

It wont create objects for roads as its just smoothing the terrain.

Did you remove your old height map in terrain builder and add your new one (heightmap1.asc) instead? Did you remember to then press rebuild terrain in Terrain Builder?

Also I've found sometimes it just wont do it, and you have to export your roads in parts, then run each one through the terrain processor!

yah when i smoothed my road i really only seen like 3 areas were it smoothed it but i think i over killed it too, i had 400 roads to smooth out and yep about 5 smoothed but it was like maybe a 50m stretch so i dunno

I didn't rebuild the terrain. I read that you import i through tb as an object. When i did that it appeared in the raster layers. I then hid the other layers so i was looking at the new one. I closed the sat and mask window so i was looking at the heightmap. I then hid the roads shp layer and kept clicking it on and off in various areas to see any difference. NOTHING! No change whatsoever.

I didn't rebuild the terrain. I read that you import i through tb as an object. When i did that it appeared in the raster layers. I then hid the other layers so i was looking at the new one. I closed the sat and mask window so i was looking at the heightmap. I then hid the roads shp layer and kept clicking it on and off in various areas to see any difference. NOTHING! No change whatsoever.

Split you roads into layers, then export each one. Run them through TP one by one, making a new heightmap everytime and see if it works then. That's how I've had it working :)

Split you roads into layers, then export each one. Run them through TP one by one, making a new heightmap everytime and see if it works then. That's how I've had it working :)

You shouldn't have to do that. I was just able to get three in one go. Not sure how many more I could have added. But if you have to do one at a time then something is wrong.

Terrain Processor: Tutorial sound great, I try it, got to GQIS then it seem things get to what!!!!! missing some thing in the steps. lost again. <_<

google you tube vid nothing there, just one about roads, vid up load could help a lot.

uhh yeah while i appreciate what BI is trying to do with this tool... i mean what would really be nice is the ability to plot shapefiles (lines, aka roads) in eden or some variant of that editor.. i dont care if it even modifies the terrain but ive been unable to get roads showing in buldozer for the longest time and packing up a 40960x40960 map just to see if a few roads look ok is making me want to give up entirely on my project... the only half decent documentation out there is for VBS3 and landbuilder... something we dont get access to...

id have zero issues even paying for that kind of functionality in terrain builder..

• Like 1