Tom_48_97

Terrain Processor

uhh yeah while i appreciate what BI is trying to do with this tool... i mean what would really be nice is the ability to plot shapefiles (lines, aka roads) in eden or some variant of that editor.. i dont care if it even modifies the terrain but ive been unable to get roads showing in buldozer for the longest time and packing up a 40960x40960 map just to see if a few roads look ok is making me want to give up entirely on my project... the only half decent documentation out there is for VBS3 and landbuilder... something we dont get access to...

id have zero issues even paying for that kind of functionality in terrain builder..

Have you got your "scripts\editor.sqs" set up for you project? I see roads fine in bulldozer / TB

should look like this

~1
diag_log "Before Loading Roads";
result = buldozer_LoadNewRoads "P:/rof/rof_kintyre/data/roads/";
diag_log "After Loading Roads";

I agree about the lack of documentation, everything talks about arma 2 which throws you right away. Add to that program names have changed, an the way things work now etc. There is no go to one guide for new people trying to learn, you have to switch between several guides (some old and out of date) or them youtube videos where he does stuff wrong (i think he's updated since, so might be better).

I often think about doing a guide, as when your starting out, its just frustration and knock back all the time. First time I looked in to terrain making, I gave up for 8 months lol.

• Like 1

Have you got your "scripts\editor.sqs" set up for you project? I see roads fine in bulldozer / TB

should look like this

~1
diag_log "Before Loading Roads";
result = buldozer_LoadNewRoads "P:/rof/rof_kintyre/data/roads/";
diag_log "After Loading Roads";

I agree about the lack of documentation, everything talks about arma 2 which throws you right away. Add to that program names have changed, an the way things work now etc. There is no go to one guide for new people trying to learn, you have to switch between several guides (some old and out of date) or them youtube videos where he does stuff wrong (i think he's updated since, so might be better).

I often think about doing a guide, as when your starting out, its just frustration and knock back all the time. First time I looked in to terrain making, I gave up for 8 months lol.

same on the giving up for a long time, but now i have a new idea for a project and im commited to finishing it.

thats the exact same thing i have in my editor.sqs (aside from the path) i see both lines before and after the loadnewroads line in the RPT for buldozer... but i dont see anything

aside from that, i see error messages saying that the editor folder isnt even compatible anymore... but its running the script so im confused with what it could be.

glad to see I am not the only one with these problem. wantafanta 

found out the issue.. read the terrain processor tutorial on the wiki... it states that the mapframe needs to be at 200000 easting and the northing needs to be 0

why, i dont know... it would seem this is hard coded into the engine..

theres alot of info on that wiki page that should be available on the TB wiki page... since it does not have anything to do with TP but to do with terrain making in general

I have a noob question about Terrain Processor: I get that it's designed to take real world data and make it usable in Terrain Builder (to put it very crudely), but what if you have a fictional terrain?

Someone mentioned above about vectorising the surface mask and importing that (perhaps via QGIS) into Terrain Processor - can the same be done with a satellite image? 

If you've got your forest floors defined in the surface mask anyway, is there any advantage to using the satellite image over the surface mask?

Vectorising a surface mask - what's the best file format for doing that (naively, because I am a hopeless optimist sometimes, I'm assuming this is a "Save as..."  job in Photoshop)? 

I assume from the (very funny) discussion about roads, that TB-created road.shp files can be imported into TP via QGIS (and then back out to TB for the smoothing magic)? 

Again - sorry for the noob questions, I'm only just starting to get my head around TP. :)

hi major , it depends of the definition of your satmap vs your surface mask... , you will probably have some issue to convert your satmap to vector ( too many colors )

i don't know how it looks ,  i will just gave you my pipeline , to use shape in Terrain Processor, to populate with forest :

1. Select your surface mask and your forest floor in Photoshop ( i assume you have a layer for each color, otherwise  Selection < color range < pick the forest color )

2.  when you have your selection go to Path < Convert Selection to Path.

3. Files < Export < Path to Adobe Ilustrator ( 30 days free trials on Adobe website)

4. In Adobe illustrator Export to .shp.

5. open your .shp in QGIS and export it to :  esra shp files

6. Use it in Terrain processor.

Xnam 

• Like 1

I apologize for off top 

answer please

I repeatedly heard that there is a restriction on the size for the .wrp file when you create terrain 

someone can answer in detail this question? if restriction exists that in what specifically?

(I waited for the answer from support, in a month the answer, has come with the reference to this forum)  :lol:

I apologize for off top 
  answer please
 I repeatedly heard that there is a restriction on the size for the .wrp file when you create terrain 

someone can answer in detail this question? if restriction exists that in what specifically?
  (I waited for the answer from support, in a month the answer, has come with the reference to this forum)  :lol:

:wacko: somebody, please

I apologize for off top 
  answer please

I've never ran into a limit and I'm at 2 million + objects.

• Like 1

Hi

I am following the Terrain Processor: Tutorial using the provided "TPDemo Map Sample Data Pack" but I run into a problem when I click 'RUN' in TP.

I have moved all the provided arma2 files in P:\ca\ and I believe all things are in their proper location.  However, when I attempt to RUN in TP, TerrainProcessor.exe crashes.

The only problem I have found within TP is this:

-in Heightmap: Create from Geodetic .asc

-in DEM files

-Input file name: "P:\a3\map_TPDemoSample\source\Heightmap\n50_e014.asc"  

This .asc file, however, does not exist.  Could it be causing the crash?  And if so then why wasn't it provided in the TPDemo Map Sample Data Pack?

If anything is missing, or has a classname wrong, TP will crash, it won't even bother to give you a simple error. It's the most buggy of all the tools tbh

Thank you for response RoF.

I was determined to get TP to comply, but maybe I shouldn't bother?  I still find it frustrating that the provided tutorial does not allow you to learn from and explore the 'correct' steps that it documents.

Also I can't even open the tutorial's .tv4p in TB because of the included "layers.cfg" (i believe?) gives TB an error... <_<

I can't even find a video or demonstration of a successful TP "RUN" so I'm skeptical to ever think I will get it to work with my own project.

TP does work its just really buggy, it did all my roads, trees and bushes etc. What is it your trying to do?

TP does work its just really buggy

This ^

Small areas no problem and great results, too much it just crashes.

Why isn't there a way to remove objects from polylines which are on a layer in the terrain builder?

there is... Mask:Linear. But it only removes stuff placed by TP

TP does work its just really buggy, it did all my roads, trees and bushes etc. What is it your trying to do?

I have my own project, so I was trying to 'test' very slowly one by one what I can get away with Terrain Processor - where it would work very slowly(maybe it should?) but I could not get any hint of progress.

However, now I am just trying to follow the tutorial to wrap my head around how to successfully produce an output from TP.

there is... Mask:Linear. But it only removes stuff placed by TP

That's my problem. I already have objects in the terrain builder, it would be very helpful if there is a script (like in Visitor 3) to remove objects on a polyline in the terrain builder.

I'm do new at this but can't help posting this little tid bit.

If anything is missing, or has a class name wrong, TP will crash, it won't even bother to give you a simple error. It's the most buggy of all the tools tbh

I'm just now also trying to get this figured out and if there is missing information, the indicator buttons at the top will show blue...

If all information is entered you will get all green,......even if the fields are incorrect.

@Richie,.....or anyone for that matter

Has anyone had a problem where the road smoother does nothing ? It outputs a new .asc height file but no changes have been made.

No errors and all the other TP options work, love the high density forests but road smoothing will not work.

Is there some sort of witchcraft needed for road smoothing ? my road shape is only about 400 meters, goes up a small slope, nothing too complex.

I too do not see anything changed, but then again as I posted above, I can enter the information into the fields but I am really just guessing, (by looking at the file type extensions that are acceptable in the browser buttons).

Have you gotten this to work, and is it possible to jot down or record a tut'

so grateful

Are you remembering to re import the modified heightmap?

Are you remembering to re import the modified heightmap?

Aha,......as I lean my head into the keyboard!

When you re import it, make sure you remove the old one, then you have to rebuild terrain in map properties

I've never ran into a limit and I'm at 2 million + objects.

I heard about restrictions specifically of the .wrp size, I about quantity of objects didn't mean  :wacko:

how do i import from Editor back into terrain builder.  I'm trying to make the objects that i placed in Editor, part of the map?? is there an easier way than using xcam on every single object one at a time??? 

A few km's of test roads and it works great so far. The only issue I have is creating mountain road switchbacks without the terrain getting buckled.