james2464

Kunduz, Afghanistan [10km] v1.20

Great work as always from the PR team

I did notice you left your "copy paste reference" area up in the top of the map haha , :D

Also +1 to the suggestion of a fake dirt airport somewhere, but I thought Kunduz had some airport IRL because they had the big scandal of the "kunduz airlift" or was that in helicopters :confused:

Gb's of redundant data transferred and stored.

Why would you have redundant data if you use only this map? As probably a lot of users/groups will do. Or do you have all packs that have AKMs? Because then you have a lot of redundant data etc. etc.

Also, No future upgrades to map assets, Gb's of redundant data transferred and stored. And I see no reason why being standalone would make its gameplay proper or the map fully A3.

It's fully A3 because all the assets have been created with the A3 standards in mind. Why wouldn't its assets be upgraded? It all depends on the creator.

Ofcourse it is up to the map maker to decide but I find it a bit dumb that we are starting to get multiple maps where the same assets are packed into new pbos again and again.

They are not the same assets.

- - -

Seriously people, let the creators decide what do they want to do. If you like it praise it, if not ignore it.

Edited by MistyRonin

Seriously people, let the creators decide what do they want to do. If you like it praise it, if not ignore it.

Of course I will try to influence the map maker of a quality map to make the map in such a way that it will more likely be played in our community. What is the point of having forums if they arent used for influencing. A simple thank you button at the end of the link would suffice if I only wanted to give praise.

Edited by Bumgie
rewording

Of course I will try to influence the map maker of a quality map to make the map in such a way that it will more likely be played in our community. What is the point of having forums if they arent used for influencing. A simple thank you button at the end of the link would suffice if I wanted to give praise.

Maybe it's just me, but that behavior feels really selfish to me. These forums ( Addons completed and discussion ) are mainly to promote ones addons/mods and gather positive criticism. Not to promote users self-entitlement.

Love the map's design and the many unique details that you don't see in many other maps. One issue I found (I tested very briefly) was a clothes line that was positioned at an incorrect offset on top of a building in a Bazaar, somewhere south of the map. It's also kind of immersion breaking when you can see the Satmap texture stop on the edge of the the map's boundaries. I liked how maps like Afghan Village made attempts to mask it with hills/mountains. Overall though, the map feels very real and organic. Excellent work so far.

Hey James2464, nice map man, i mostly messed around the bottom right corner with simple DAC missions and it all had a nice natural flow and feel to it, kinda reminds of Aliabad.

One thing is maybe the lighting? its probably my gamma settings but it always seems a bit to dulled, even at 12pm on a clear day, i remember the VTN (Veteran Mod) mod had a "truedaylight" (i forget the name) module that really brought a map to life imo.

Cheers!

Edited by Katipo66
VTN not vcn

lol at the levels of hypocrisy here :-)

Agreed, kinda like derailing a topic because somebody has a bitch that should be taken elsewhere, but having not been to Kunduz area (was out East) I'll download this and check it out, looking for a more modern made Afghan map for some time.

All of those who don't want all the AiA insane amount of bugs ( for example the weird collision model, or lack of it ).

i think, besides you overexaggerating a lot here, the issue is not with AiA "BUGS" but with objects that havent been receiving proper forward porting treatment, you can hardly account a missing physx lod as a "AiA Bug"... anyway with your staunch opinion i assume that you dont even follow the change log of the updates that appear in a frequency wich is hardly parraleled by most mods... e.g.collision a and physx lods for many key objects like trees, fences, walls etc etc etc have been implemented allready fy... its also important so seperate AiA from AiA TP here, most vehicles in aia arent yet properly ported (which will be an issue of month now thx to CUP), AiA TP is only for the island so not to be errorously confused here and blamed for "Bugs" that are merely a quastion of objects waiting to be ported properly.

imho AiA TP is allready VERY well playable for PVP multiplayer purposes as has been prooven by the TacBF community who even made aia tp a mandatory requirement and everyone who participated in one of those matches on takistan etc knows very well why, anyway everybody is entitled to have his own opinion but please stick to the facts...

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Hey James2464, nice map man, i mostly messed around the bottom right corner with simple DAC missions and it all had a nice natural flow and feel to it, kinda reminds of Aliabad.

One thing is maybe the lighting? its probably my gamma settings but it always seems a bit to dulled, even at 12pm on a clear day, i remember the VTN (Veteran Mod) mod had a "truedaylight" (i forget the name) module that really brought a map to life imo.

Cheers!

hey Katipo66, i made the lighting config that is currently used in kunduz, i suggest for you to wait until kunduz is a bit more filled with objects to get an idea of the final impression, otherwise im happy to receive you feedback on the lighting and it would be nice if you could give some more specific examples of what is bugging you with the lighing.

generally there are two levels that i judge sepereately, one is realism, i worked through hundrets of references and i think the config is generally well inside the realm of plausibility.

The second would be artistic desicions, i opted for a distinctively dry and dusty atmospheric situation that is also common in certain regions in afghanistan,

this also is supposed to create some contrast to the wet blueish air of altis/stratis.

even after serval weeks of not touching arma, im still generally convinced that this is a nice lighting config, though im happy receive feedback and to keep tweaking and developing it.

as i reviewed it i took some screenshots, feel free to comment on them and refer to issues (or praise :)) etc:

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/45367895097952398/FC1136F53F5EFC85FCA9048D35152CE9001B54B3/ (464 kB)

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/45367895097950715/D40A55505E94ACFF9A9B24C43C1F29D6ABBD7426/ (451 kB)

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/45367895097957981/12DDBB14ED77EA660A043F8525421146D1871D0B/ (487 kB)

gallery

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

Looking really nice, but what i should say its PR inside ;).

Thx for the hint didnt know that they make their own game, really hoping i can support this soon.

Squad is looking really nice so far. Srry for the offtopic.

Awesome map guys, what you've already done is excellent and it's brilliant that's there's so much more to come. The map feels really authentic and dusty and I love the expansiveness of the horizon and how everything feels BIG and WIDE, the undulations and terrain are spot on and very immersive. I hope you don't mind but I've done a little video of me running a scenario on the map and I've made sure to only show the stuff that has been mostly completed. Hopefully it will help to get some people enthused about the possibilities of the map. Great work guys!

Awesome map guys, what you've already done is excellent and it's brilliant that's there's so much more to come. The map feels really authentic and dusty and I love the expansiveness of the horizon and how everything feels BIG and WIDE, the undulations and terrain are spot on and very immersive. I hope you don't mind but I've done a little video of me running a scenario on the map and I've made sure to only show the stuff that has been mostly completed. Hopefully it will help to get some people enthused about the possibilities of the map. Great work guys!

I'd agree with this, been having a lot of fun with this map. Love how flat the map is with just enough cover to get your head down. I also like the large compounds, very different. I did notice some of the AI would get stuck in compound walls once in a while, but they usually screw it up one way or the other anyway :p. Really looking forward to you updates. :cool:

ps great vid twangydave

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Awesome video twangy! I've added it to the OP.

Currently working on greater vegetation variety and a network of authentic tunnel systems of which should be very difficult to find ;)

Also working on an array of other unique features like a traditional qalat fighting tower.

Update v0.60 incoming tomorrow night Australian time. :)

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Awesome video twangy! I've added it to the OP.

Currently working on greater vegetation variety and a network of authentic tunnel systems of which should be very difficult to find ;)

Also working on an array of other unique features like a traditional qalat fighting tower.

Splendid! Look forward to the update!

nice to see an update that fast cant wait to this whats new

Can't wait for it. I already played more than 20 hours in that map. :)

I found a little issue tho, AI gets "sucked" inside walls sometimes, specially in the corners of the compounds.

ALPHA UPDATE v0.60

WARNING: Do not download for the complete experience! Only 45% of the terrain is populated with vegetation, buildings and rocks etc!

This is for feedback purposes only! Please report any issues. Thank you in advance. :)

I'd like to know if anyone is still having issues with AI and getting stuck in walls as I've made a few changes.

Change Log:

- Added 2 insurgent tunnels systems (Design inspired by Zelda Ocarina of Time & goodluck finding them ;)).

- Adjusted river reflection colour.

- New file structure to avoid future compatibility issues.

- New compounds.

- New field crop varieties.

- New trees, bushes and rocks.

- Replaced selected vanilla trees and bushes.

- Added server bikeys.

Edited by James2464

So far very nice stuff here. Waiting in anticipation for when it is done.

This is showing some great promise - nice detail on the compounds so far. I'm looking forward to the final release version.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Great Job ! , So far so good. How big this map will be ? 10km x 10km ? I can't wait for final release !