RozekPoland

OFP/ACWA - facts | myths | findings | experiments | prototypes | tutorials | protection

JbOj3bC.jpg

BIForums personal (highlights)

This thread (highlights)

The idea of this topic part is to confirm or debunk issues that concern the game. The reason of this topic part is that for last 15 years there were many theories that arose around the game. With help of other users of this forum I believe we can verify these theories. I decided for T (true) F (false) marking. The list will be regularly updated.

• AI can see through vegetation. FALSE

AI cannot see through any vegetation from original OFP:CWC/RES (ARMA:CWA) content. However, it may occur to any vegetation that lacks proper LODs and ViewGeometry (community-made content).

• AI is deaf. FALSE

AI can see and hear. When you are close to an AI unit and you are moving fast making a lot of noise the enemy AI unit will hear you and react accordingly.

• AI can see through fallen vegetation. TRUE

When a vegetation model gets 'literally' killed (for example it was ran over by a vehicle) it becomes 'invisible' to AI.

• Smoke grenades block AI's view. FALSE

Smoke grenades do not provide any cover when it comes to a firefight against enemy AI units.

• It has been fixed by JAM3 addon and WGL mod.

• Magazines with the highest number of rounds are put at the beginning. TRUE
  • An infantry unit is immortal while paradropping. TRUE

However, it is possible to deadly ram a paradropper by a helicopter or a plane.

• It has been fixed by IrParaZ addon.

• Shooting 15 round(s) with a rifle at your feet will kill you. TRUE
  • There is an altitude limit. TRUE

The altitude limit is about 13-15 km. It is possible to put a vehicle into a higher altitude by a script but it will result in lack of control over this vehicle.

• There is no limit of units in a mission. FALSE

The maximum limit of units that can be placed in a mission is 3024 for all 4 sides of conflict what gives 756 (63 groups of 12 units) for each side.
    The limit of 3024 can be exceeded to 3780 by spawning units that belong to fifth side of conflict (LOGIC). Thanks @Amen_Tamen

• It is not possible to swim. TRUE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rozek,

Nice start, it will help new players that haven't learned these things yet.

One thing needs clarifiication. In vanilla OFP/CWA the below is correct.

[*]Smoke grenades block AI's view. FALSE

Smoke grenades do not provide any cover when it comes to a firefight against enemy AI units.

Except with JAM3 and WGL smoke does block AI view.

// Vision blocking objects

JAM_SmokeBlock,JAM_SmokeBlockIR,

class JAM_SmokeBlock: Building

{

access=public;

scope=public;

vehicleclass="";

displayName="";

model="\JAM_Magazines\fx\jam_smokeblock.p3d";

irTarget=false;

side=TCivilian;

destrType="DestructNo";

};

class JAM_SmokeBlockIR: JAM_SmokeBlock

{

irTarget=true;

• Like 2

Numbers 6 and 8 are partially true. It's possible to kill a paradropper with a direct hit with the body of a plane. If you know the mission 'Gunship', you can easily test it out there. There is an altitude limit but I have proven in some other thread it's actually possible to get past it with some scripts. The problem is only that you're pretty much 'frozen' and can't control the vehicle anymore. OFP AI was improved a lot in mods like WW4, WGL, ECP, SLX, BINMOD and so on but still lets some things to be desired. Although I don't think there will be much more work done in that direction anymore, with a possible exception of 'Cold War Enhanced', the successor mod to Binmod, if it materializes. Here's my contribution - the max size of each side is 63 groups with 12 AIs per group, but when placing all of them in the editor you will get a 'out of memory change of code required' error. So it's not actually possible to have over 3000 AIs at the same time, but well over 2000 is possible. Don't ask about the framerate though. ;)

Well and here's another - noone in the game knows how to swim. ;)

Swimming was made possible with addons such as CoC diver and some mods like FFSX 2007.

Edited by noob1
added more facts

Cool thread idea!

About number 7, it usually depends on the weapon that is used - some addons have different types of ammo with different indirectHit values, so it could happen sooner, later or not at all. Or very soon in the case of an RPG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macser said:

The tree objects(?) look like they're being rotated out of the way and deleted. Can you tell us a little more?

From YouTube video description: 'This is what happens when you make OFP/CWA forests destructible.'

Yeah, I read that. I just hadn't seen anyone doing it before. And I've never tried it. I thought there was something else going on besides changing the destrType setting.

excellent idea how did you make in the config or with script to change the model of a destruct object ?

On 5/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, spad said:

excellent idea how did you make in the config or with script to change the model of a destruct object ?

The idea behind it is quite simple. DestrType of the building class is tent. The building class has eventhandler killed which places a model of ruins on the exact position of the building.

i often ask to myself how to change model by a destructed model when you shoot on it, i will be very interrested to see your eventhandler part to see if i can do something for my own model, nice job

1 hour ago, zulu1 said:

Is WGL next? :thumbs-up:

I sure hope so.

That's a really impressive feature, Rozek! Definitely need it for proper cover. Tired of getting shot by AI through heavy smoke. :P

This one should be interesting for you too, @revan9190. Not this time, @zulu1  :f:

:exclamation:

visibleSize - used for calculating how visible a character is for the AI, based on his stance/animation (source: community.bistudio.com).

Classes of handgun animations have a bug related to visibleSize value. In regular situation classes of weapon (primary, secondary, no weapon) animations have different visibleSize value depending on their stance (Combat, Crouch or Lying). In general: lower stance = lower value. Classes of Handgun animations have all the same value (=1) what causes that the AI is aware of your presence in situations they shouldn't be even able to spot you.

In the upper-left corner you can spot how the AI knowsAbout (about) you (player) skyrockets when you switch to handgun (handgun animation is played). It rises from 0 to 1.30968 and results in immediate death.

The bug has been inherited by a number of mods including WW4 Mod Animations (sorry @sanctuary for mentioning that :f:)

• Like 2

I've decided to record the second video related to this bug to make it easier to see the issue.

• Like 1