sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

I've got plenty of Arma crashes while in 3D view of Eden and dezooming. This is specific for Unsung map (probably due to the number of map objects) but my scenario has a lot of triggers also. I would like to know if some of you have experienced such crashes (mission seems to be not affected, just the 3D large view editor). Thanks.

yes, the solution should be simple. it is explained on the launch page in steam workshop

Dependency and compatibility

The Unsung mod is designed as a standalone full-conversion mod for Arma 3. This release supercedes Delta release and is a complete replacement for it. It should be backwards compatible with missions made for Bravo, Charlie and Delta editions.

Some of the maps use APEX foliage and playing on those maps MAY cause you issues with signed servers if you do not have the APEX DLC. This issue is being worked on and we hope to make it non-Apex dependent VERY soon.

It is not tested with other mods, and we cannot answer questions about compatibility.
However we have tried to make it work with TFAR, and it probably works alongside ACE, but what works and what does not work with ACE is unknown.

If you have memory crashes using Unsung, especially on the APEX-related maps. Turn down your view distance, and play in 64 bit and test the 3 available memory allocators in the A3 Launcher.

• Like 1

Tks. 64 bit is already the case. Reducing view distance. I wasn't aware of that for the 3D Eden. Mem allocator will stay as is (default) until some more hints. Is the "best" allocator identified?

that depends on your pc. my pc is stable only with JEMalloc

there are only 3, do some trial and error

oh can you add the option to "STOP" the music on the helicopters haha they overlap lol 
oh also song request - WAR by edwin starr

the music is only playable by ONE person in a helicopter - the pilot. so if you are the pilot, don't start the music twice. simples!

you do that once, realise your mistake and never do it again. easier than trying to change the game engine to enable the ability to stop a "phrase" mid-utterance which is currently impossible afaik.

• Like 4

Yea the je Malloc seems to work best for me aswell.  I can get crashes in just vanilla arma using default though, stay away from default.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The memory allocators are very much personal to your own machine. One will work better than the others, and it has nothing to do with what one other people are using. This could change between arma updates, OS updates, graphics drivers, etc. Be thankful you have a choice :)

• Like 1

On 28.11.2017 at 5:56 AM, pierremgi said:

I've got plenty of Arma crashes while in 3D view of Eden and dezooming. This is specific for Unsung map (probably due to the number of map objects) but my scenario has a lot of triggers also. I would like to know if some of you have experienced such crashes (mission seems to be not affected, just the 3D large view editor). Thanks.

Also setting your graphics settings lower will help. Usually I put all my textures and such to low when I'm roaming in Eden. Most crashes happen on Doung and Da Krong when having high graphics.

9 minutes ago, Cullin said:

Also setting your graphics settings lower will help. Usually I put all my textures and such to low when I'm roaming in Eden. Most crashes happen on Doung and Da Krong when having high graphics.

Yes thanks. It's better. It's weird to have such CPU/GPU while in Eden! There is probably something to do, BI side, to have a specific setting for editing. It's highly recommended to toggle the editor in 2D view while working on a large scale.

i think we simply have too many trees per square metre. hey ho. the islands are gorgeous, but you must make these changes to accommodate them.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2017 at 12:38 AM, eggbeast said:

i bought a real one and sent him photos ofthe parts

You bought a real grenade and announced it in the Internet?? :shock:

Hmm..  the good news is that the model should be excellent.

The bad news is that a bunch of large men from Hereford, dressed in black with silenced HK MP5s, will be arriving through your windows any time now.

I can't watch:face_palm:

• Haha 1

It was deactivated obviously lol.

I'm not the kind of moron who would trust in his 14yo son not to pull the pin on the thing hehe

He actually did pull the pin and then ask me, "oh is it live?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Afternoon gents,

Was curious as if there was any plans to add a slick UH-1D with 50cals? 

Also any front paint such as shark teeth?

Heres a photo from the Vietcong game! Think it would look really cool!

1138191266.jpghuey.jpg

have you got any pics of a uh1 in vietnam equipped with a 50cal?

i've been thinking for a while of doing a twin m60

that's such a heavy gun i wouldn't believe that is a troop ship.

the top pic is some kind of hunter-killer ship with floodlights - a short-cabin C model

basically a gunship without any outboard pylons, and zero cargo space

I don't believe the second ship is real, looks like a fake to me

the 50 seems to be mounted on a non-vietnam m240 pintle

and the side facing seats are not vietnam era, especially in a short cabin C

the third pic - again a C ship without any outboards

so i can probably rustle one of those up.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, eggbeast said:

so i can probably rustle one of those up.

Hopefully with that cool flash hider on the end of it! And if it was to be a "hunter-killer" maybe the copilot should have an independant searchlight under the nose to help look into the darkness of night-time???

we have that flash hider - ramamarines made one

i've done co-pilot searchlights before on the mi28 and ka52 in arma 2, so that's pretty simple

• Like 1

Possibly related to the Helicopter talk, here's a conversation extract from the POV of a door gunner/Crew Chief in a UH-1 gunship between January 1966 to September 1968 in Vietnam. 

"My personal experiences were entirely different from the folks that came before me [in Vietnam] and those that came after me. But I was a crew chief/door gunner on a helicopter gunship so obviously the experiences were different. And I carried as many M60 barrels as we could scrounge because we turned our barrels red hot, then yellow hot and as they turned white hot, we flipped the release lever up, fired a round to take the drooping barrel down range with it and shoved in another barrel to begun firing on the next run in to the target. 

On a run into the target both door gunners fired at the target and then, depending on which way we turned, the inside gunner would continue to fire as the wing man started in in his run. It was no big thing to fire anywhere from 500-1000 round burst during the runs. Most of us modified the cyclic rate of fire by adding a couple of washers or nickels behind the buffer and adding another half of spring to the operating rod. I am sure our door guns were running close to 1,000 rounds per minute. The barrels heated up fast especially when firing tracer or the duplex rounds. Duplex rounds weren't always available. I think there were lots available in 1967 and then they disappeared. Only the door gunner on the right side had to fire his M60 upside down. It was to prevent brass going through the tail rotor."

• Like 4

we have a bunch of stuff in the workshop waiting on people to have time to import them

for example:

these both need a Vietnam era retexture - any artists out there up for re-skinning them for us?

new AC47 from NZDF Crash

TILcZiv.jpg

vhXF6NE.jpg

6mBVgZF.jpg

new B52 - not sure of its origin

LUP7C9G.jpg

TWSirBK.jpg

RcCsDFk.jpg

• Like 6

PLEASE TELL ME YA HAVE A SHOT OF IT'S ARSE!!! I WANNA SEE THE QUAD 50.Cal TAIL GUN!!! :don11:

the version we have is an H, with an m61 in the rear turret.

we could add a quad 50 though, but the rotating part of the airframe is not currently present so that would be a bit of model work further down the line

here's the CH53 Sea Stallion, almost ready for release - needs a re-skin also

bQKI7dp.jpg

I8syI8W.jpg

81cqI75.jpg

SCbdTZQ.jpg

9Jiz1B4.jpg

• Like 4