Sign in to follow this  
schultzit

[WIP TERRAIN] Puget Sound

eTvboesl.png

Backstory (will be expanded):

Year 2018: After 3 years of economical crisis, with the Ruble at its historical minimum, riots start spreading throughout the whole Russian Federation. Citizens start uprising demanding better economic conditions and extremists groups are seen as the only viable alternative to accomplish a brighter future.

The protest quickly turn deadly, with the security forces getting more and more violent.

Year 2020: Terrorist group named "Bering Star", in an attempt to take advantage of the civil unrest, attacks a classified biological warfare facility in ÄŒukotka, stealing many biological agents. Russian Federation government keeps this attack hidden, fearing a further increase of the riots violence.

August 3rd, 2023: Bering Star hits, releasing an artificial virus in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Government is weakened after years of unrest, and the emergency response is not effective enough. During the following months, the virus spreads in Europe and Asia, with some cases in the USA. While the International Community joins forces to develop a vaccine, it gets clear that the rate of infection is extremely high.

March, 2024: 9 months after patient zero, the infection is now spread worldwide. There is no known cure yet.

April, 2030: 7 years later, an estimate of 90% of the global population was infected with peaks of 95% in the whole Russian sub-continent. Only 0.04% of survival chance. Big areas in the United States become unhabited, including the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound.

Terrain Features:

• Size: 20480 x 20480 meters (4096 px * 5m)
  • 1:1 copy of Lopez, Blakely, Decatur, Shaw (cropped), Cypress, Burrows, Allan and Fidalgo (cropped) Islands
  • Elevation data from Real-world 1/9th arc-second DEMs
  • Real roads network
  • Dense forests and realistic vegetation placement - 1.3 million trees
  • General overgrown and decaying feeling, making the terrain perfect for warfare or post-apocalyptic mods

Current Status (last update: Dec 18th, 2014):

• Heightmap: 90% done, needs refinish and roads smoothing
  • Sat Map: 99% done
  • Sat Mask: 95% done
  • Configs: 99% done
  • Roads: 20% done
  • Custom models: 0% done
  • Vegetation placement: 90% done
  • Articial objects placement: 1% done
  • Internal testing: 10% done
  • Public Beta Testing: TBA

Screenshots:

lBfg4zMs.jpg8rceQkSs.png4e0KxlJs.jpgt956gt6s.jpglWaQN6Ms.jpg

Videos:

Live Development:

I usually stream my development on my Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/schultzit

Help Needed!!:

I am looking for 3d artists to help me create assets for this map. If you like the project and feel like helping me, drop me a line on Skype or reply to this post

License:

This terrain will be released under ARMA PUBLIC LICENSE SHARE ALIKE (APL-SA) APL-SA.png

Edited by Schultzit

that could be really good, Arma3 needs defenitly open range areas with realistic placed vegitation.

Am looking forward to more.

Gonn be good! I love the idea that you're streaming your workflow, thus, sharing the info at the same time.

I love these types of maps! Looking forward to seeing more.

As for 3D models, here's the contents of a readme file from the Namalsk mod:

Name: NS2.pbo

Contains:

Data files for Namalsk

Data files for Nightstalkers Shadow of Namalsk

WARNING: Any changes inside PBO files or using content of these files without permission of author is strictly forbidden.

Any form of commercial use is strictly forbidden.

If you would like to use anything of this MOD for your own project, please contact me via e-mail.

This is not an official addon and i take no responsibilities for any possible damages or data loss in your computer.

Copyright ©2012. Sumrak.

http://www.nightstalkers.cz

sumrak@nightstalkers.cz

Perhaps he can help you! :)

Agreed with Rzon : Animander mixes the namalsk buidlings with those from AiA and Arma3 for his Helvantis map - the result is awesome.

That being said, this terrain is in the USA : there aren't many buidlings for that kind of area.

Hiw about make a damage zone and we cant get in there with out some kinda hazmat suit lol

This is just awesome.

As a resident of the Puget Sound area this excites me very much :yay: Good luck!

Very interesting... as a resident of western canada and being just north of Suds420 , Im very interested in this too...

I am curious why the choice of Puget Sound from Italy? Just interesting is all.....

Love the idea and will go awesome with Genesis92x's addon he is developing called Degeneration... basically fits into your storyline quite well ;)

Cheers!

Very interesting... as a resident of western canada and being just north of Suds420 , Im very interested in this too...

I am curious why the choice of Puget Sound from Italy? Just interesting is all.....

Love the idea and will go awesome with Genesis92x's addon he is developing called Degeneration... basically fits into your storyline quite well ;)

Cheers!

It's less exciting than what you think :D It's because of raw data availability :D

Have you got a link for that mod?

Very nice and good idea for a different setting, and the background story very good too... Keep it up and will be looking forward to Next update...! :-)

It's less exciting than what you think :D It's because of raw data availability :D

Have you got a link for that mod?

Lol ... fair enough. Good on you though, a North American terrain will be a welcome change :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173805-Degeneration-YAZM

Thats the mod thread, still in early alpha but very promising so far... I have had the distinct pleasure of testing it and it is exactly what I was looking for and has tremendous potential...

It will be awesome playing on a terrain that is so close to my home! Thanks for bringing some diversity to the locations of all these maps coming out. Looks great!

Looking good!! Can't wait to defend my homeland against some canucks :p

Looking good!! Can't wait to defend my homeland against some canucks :p

We're coming for you....

Looks nice Schultzit! I just wish there was a Douglas Fir model for Arma, the Pacific Northwest just isn't the Pacific Northwest without Douglas Firs.

Thanks Hem!

Update: I discovered a new method for making roads look natural using World Machine, that should give a Nice boost to development.

Plus, I found some help by a 3d artist who's starting to work on custom assets, I'll reveal his name and show some screenshots of his work soon!

This is a quick snippet of my roads network (only one quarter of a single island, actually!):

eR8d39jl.jpg