Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

So people want to be able to use dlc without paying. If you didnt buy the dlc you shouldnt be able to use it whatsoever. Your lucky you get ads.

So people want to be able to use dlc without paying. If you didnt buy the dlc you shouldnt be able to use it whatsoever. Your lucky you get ads.

I, among many others have no intention of buying it or use the helis, karts etc..

Yet we still get ads stuffed down our throat when we join servers/missions using dlc content.

If there was a way to know which server/mission used DLC content before joining i would not complain.

Thats wrong...

Can you prove that? I haven't seen any fullscreen overlays when sitting in the passenger seat of DLC vehicles, and I haven't seen any screenshots that show this happening, either. I don't really use DLC content that much, so I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence that what you're saying is the case, either.

I, among many others have no intention of buying it or use the helis, karts etc..

Yet we still get ads stuffed down our throat when we join servers/missions using dlc content.

If there was a way to know which server/mission used DLC content before joining i would not complain.

I was under the impression that you currently only see ads when actually using the DLC content. Is this not the case for you?

I agree that it would be nice if the server browser showed whether or not a server was running a mission with DLC content in it.

What makes me angry is that Shift-P is still bound to the DLC page, even though I OWN the DLC. I know I can remap these, but it shouldn't be there in the first place for people who bought it

What makes me angry is that Shift-P is still bound to the DLC page, even though I OWN the DLC. I know I can remap these, but it shouldn't be there in the first place for people who bought it

You acctually can't remap them they are there buy greyed out...

Ah, so it's just Shift-P, I thought it was P. Anyway, annoyed me no end as I had Shift-P bound to open the SR radio interface for TFAR, Ctrl-P for LR and Alt-P for underwater transceiver and now I've had to re-map these all to use O instead of P because of that stupid DLC page. So it seems I haven't encountered the ads at all but I'm still inconvenienced by BIS deciding to allocate Shift-P to the DLC page. Couldn't they have thought of something else that would have avoided this (maybe only accessing the DLC page from the menu after pausing?).

Uhm, couldn't you just remove that mapped key from the dlc page function? That's to me a bit more obvious than remapping everything else.

This is such a bullshit excuse. That content shouldn't be given to me at all if its not what I paid for. Instead it is forced on me in nearly ALL hosted servers now. And whether I like it or not, the ads show up on my screen. I don't want to use the starter pistol, I dont want to use the new helicopters, but on every multiplayer server they are on there now. So what I shouldn't play multiplayer at all? No I guess the answer is I should pay 15$ for content I don't want, just to get rid of annoying ads on my screen.

Seriously the fact that you are not allowed to drive the helicopters is enough of a premium content incentive. A really poor image move from Bohemia that a high incentive to buy the DLC is to just get rid of ads on your screen.

Ok, what would be better then, you not being able to play in servers that use DLC content in the first place? Is that what you want?

Ask the server owner/mission editors to remove the DLC content or provide alternatives, this isn't BIS's fault.

Lol, Could you imagine someone wearing racing cloths, holding a new Rifle, and sitting in the back of a new heli all at once? I wonder if all the ads would activate at once. Lol

Though, I heard there was a very simple way of getting rid of ads permanently. I think I heard somewhere, that buying the DLC gets rid of the ads when you use content you never payed for. It also unlocks all locked seats for you.

Ok, what would be better then, you not being able to play in servers that use DLC content in the first place? Is that what you want?

Probably. It's not that crazy that someone would rather not be able to use content that they aren't interested in in the first place than be able to use it and have to deal with ads even though they don't want it.

Ask the server owner/mission editors to remove the DLC content or provide alternatives, this isn't BIS's fault.

It kind of is, since they developed the system, and the whole system is designed around the idea of allowing players to use their DLC content with those who don't have it at the expense of advertising and feature locks for players who do not own the DLC.

Though, I heard there was a very simple way of getting rid of ads permanently. I think I heard somewhere, that buying the DLC gets rid of the ads when you use content you never payed for. It also unlocks all locked seats for you.

Unless, of course, you hit Shift-P for some reason, which is permanently bound to bring up the DLC purchase screen. It's not a super likely scenario for players using conventional control bindings, but not everyone is.

Can you prove that? I haven't seen any fullscreen overlays when sitting in the passenger seat of DLC vehicles, and I haven't seen any screenshots that show this happening, either. I don't really use DLC content that much, so I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence that what you're saying is the case, either.

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141216/27tegm3f.jpg

Uhm, couldn't you just remove that mapped key from the dlc page function? That's to me a bit more obvious than remapping everything else.

It might be obvious but it's not possible as BIS don't permit it!

Last time I tested it, it appeared after roughly 20 minutes in the vehicle. It wiped across the screen once and then was gone. As far as I can tell, you kind of have to make an effort to get the checkerboard to show up.

When Karts was released, it appeared after 2-5 minutes and stayed on the screen pretty much forever. It was animated, too.

It's simple why:

1. telling player that he is in DLC vehicle

2. providing incentive to buy dlc (getting rid of tiles)

I have bought all ARMA games since cold war assault, with exception of the DLCs for arma 3 (other than the tanoa one).

Many people do not have any interest at all in karts, helicopters, tanks, jets, laws of war

If you do not own the DLC, then it is perfectly fine getting advert pop ups that "do not interfere with the gameplay" despite ruining the looks and the inmersion of the game.

Likewise, it is fine losing the "undeserved/unpaid" sniper rifle someone had put in your hands when they designed the mission once you have died and respawned.

Until here this is acceptable adware for allowing everyone to use the content...

What it is malware is the following:

It is not fine getting a huge opaque rectangle in front of the iron sights/scope, "perfectly programmed" to pop up just in the very moment an encounter with the enemies happen, and you are being shot at

Many of us will continue purchasing BI games, as long as they are full games, and are of interest to us, but I, and many others like me will never play nor purchase "useless" DLCs.

So it would be great if these DLCs were only downloaded/installed if the customer wanted to. Or perhaps allow, for example a half a day trial to introduce to DLCs, and if people want they could try them (and purchase if the DLC was worth/interesting enough).

Or at least keep advertising, but remove the bloody rectangle in the middle of firefights.

Kind regards

Edited by R0adki11
removed foul language aimed at the developers and the red cross.

17 hours ago, -=[BorZ]=- said:

I have bought all ARMA games since cold war assault, with exception of the DLCs for arma 3 (other than the tanoa one).

Many people do not have any interest at all in karts, helicopters, tanks, jets, f***ing white/helmets/red cross bullshit.

Its sad to see a long supporter of the series have an issue with these DLCs. Also Laws of War is a valid DLC, it gives a more human perspective to the game. Also you may know but percentage funds from Karts and Laws of War are been donated to the red cross.

Many of us will continue purchasing BI games, as long as they are full games, and are of interest to us, but I, and many others like me will never play nor purchase "useless" DLCs.

So it would be great if these DLCs were only downloaded/installed if the customer wanted to. Or perhaps allow, for example a half a day trial to introduce to DLCs, and if people want they could try them (and purchase if the DLC was worth/interesting enough).

Or at least keep advertising, but remove the bloody rectangle in the middle of firefights.

Kind regards

It has been explained plenty of times in the thread why BIS went this route. It means that servers and game versions are the same regardless of what you have or don't have. Also these DLCs help support BIS as a company.

I do apologize about the inappropriate language used during my last post.

BI can make any business decisions it wishes.

Despite of the explanations, we do understand that the main factor is that BI was not making money from the Arma 2 BAFs, and PMC DLCs, and decided to implement a more aggressive marketing approach.

I was just mentioning that adding a big rectangle in the middle of the screen ONLY during battle exchanges does not sound very fair promocion strategy from the point of view of the targeted customer.

It is just like allowing you to use a gun from "marksmen DLC" just to look at how good it looks in your hands while you are walking around an island, but which it is automatically rendered useless for nearly 30 seconds at the beginning of the next firefight that is going to happen during the game.

Kind Regards

-=BorZ=-

I thought the adverts appear randomly. Is there any proof about them appearing if you got an enemy in your sights?

• Like 1

On 18-10-2017 at 4:35 PM, lexx said:

I thought the adverts appear randomly. Is there any proof about them appearing if you got an enemy in your sights?

They seem to pop up as soon as you use an asset from one of the DLCs. Fair enough as far as I'm concerned. It should just be easier to avoid taking items or using vehicle slots from DLCs you don't own by accident.

2 minutes ago, rasa_be said:

They seem to pop up as soon as you use an asset from one of the DLCs. Fair enough as far as I'm concerned. It should just be easier to avoid taking items or using vehicle slots from DLCs you don't own by accident.

That's quite easy, all the items for each DLC in VA have their corresponding DLC icon next to them or alternatively help support BIS and purchase the DLCs.

• Like 1