dakilla187

Abort treating yourslf?

Ive been killed numerous times while treating myself....If there was a abort key I could likely save myself and kill the enemy....

Is there a way to abort treating yourself or do you just stay there like a moron and get shot in the head?

Don't stay on the open like a moron to do that.

No way to abort it.

It's just one of those problems that you'd think are easy to iron out, but no action is taken against: have to stand to reload some weapons, getting out of the vehicle means defaulting the fire selector to semi, stop or walk real slow to change weapons (weapon changing also very slow), going from running/sprinting to walking on an inclined piece of environment without just slowing the charter down a bit, no fast jumping/vaulting over an obstacle, shooting from quads/cars, etc. :)

Rule of thumb: know the limits and weaknesses of the game and try to avoid them.

i could swear there was an "abort action" for self treatment sometime in alpha/beta. maybe it was a mod.

clear the area before starting to do anything, in real life if an enemy combatant surprised you you wouldn't have the time...you'd probably be dead

• Like 1

Totally un-realistic to be able to abort whilst healing. When your bandaging, you've most likely dropped all your weapons to make sure your leg doesn't get cut off later. Instead, play it smart. Clear the area, check your corners, find a secluded spot that the enemy is least likely to rush you in order to have enough time to safety apply the Fap-kit... I mean Fak-kit. Or Medkit if your a combat life safer and you have one.

yea sure. it's only realistic. you wouldn't quickly grab your rifle, you would obviously just keep bandaging and look at the dude while he shoots you. because that's realistic since the human body works just like a game character that finishes animations and can't do anything while doing so.

even if you would try to rationalise it with having to stop bledding it wouldn't work since, well, arma doesn't have bleeding out.

in my opinion the action should stop already when you use movement keys instead of a clunky scroll action. with proper transition ofc. not instantly.

yea sure. it's only realistic. you wouldn't quickly grab your rifle, you would obviously just keep bandaging and look at the dude while he shoots you. because that's realistic since the human body works just like a game character that finishes animations and can't do anything while doing so.

even if you would try to rationalise it with having to stop bledding it wouldn't work since, well, arma doesn't have bleeding out.

in my opinion the action should stop already when you use movement keys instead of a clunky scroll action. with proper transition ofc. not instantly.

I was trolling... But here is my Actual opinion. What i think should be done, is if a character is damaged, and he goes into healing. If you realize your in a position where an enemy's about to kill you, or accidentally start healing in the line of fire, you should be able to cancel it quicker, the sooner you start it. But say, if your half way in, and someone pops up, you can still cancel, however, it will take time to pick up your weapon. Say the amount of time it takes to snatch your side arm would be enough. This allows for you having to drop your bandage and grab your rifle, and gives players a chance you get out of a troubling situation.

Perhaps it's time for a mod that detects if the player is conducting a healing animation. If they press a movement key while doing so, then switch to a normal animation.

I have the worst of luck, similar situation im targeting down stairs waiting for a player that might knows my locale, Im aiming down the stairs for 5 minutes....5-6 minutes a eternity later nobody comes so i step into the other room and start to heal....Lol here he comes...

Bam Bam.....Wtf I was staring down my barel for 5 minutes and 10 seconds after i step away Bang....

well he probably heard you bandage, which is a nice little thing. he also knew that you won't be able to defend yourself. it creates certain tactics which is nice and would still apply if you could abort it since there would still be an advantage. just not as fatal.

clear the area before starting to do anything, in real life if an enemy combatant surprised you you wouldn't have the time...you'd probably be dead
in real life you'd still be able to react, and not sit there like an idiot continuing to treat yourself.

This is just one of the many reasons I want actions bound to number keys.

The way I’d like to see it set up is with a medial rose/menu set to the #4 key. (Personal preference)

You would have to hold the key down to bring up the menu; this would simulate using both hands. If you release the button the menu closes and you bring your weapon back up.

Similar functions would work for selecting certain weapon attachments and so on… I went into more detail in my wish list but I just feel that would be a much better way to do it.

I remember an abort healing option on the scroll wheel as well but that was on King of the Hill so I don't know about plain vanilla.

Perhaps it's time for a mod that detects if the player is conducting a healing animation. If they press a movement key while doing so, then switch to a normal animation.

Wouldn't even need to script it. Movement is just disabled in that action so it's just a matter of reenabling it and it'd interrupt the animation. Just have to make sure it doesn't HEAL them after it's interrupted.

Considering in that one second it takes to board a vehicle in Arma 3, you have an action that says "Cancel action", I can't imagine it'd be hard for them to do something similar with FAKs. Also, it's possible to not realise how close enemies are, which makes it difficult to find a good spot to heal.

• Like 1

I would like to see a more complex healing system in the vanilla Arma. Where you couldn't stop bandaging your arm, but could shoot a few rounds between bandaging your arm and bandaging your leg.

On 04/02/2017 at 10:39 PM, Jack Martindale said:

Just don't heal where people can see you, simple!

Right, but I found out the hard way several times that when you're wounded you can sometimes only walk at a snail's pace, (usually with a realistic limp) so you've got no option but to drop prone and try to heal yourself where you are, because you've got no chance of making it to cover.

PS- The snail thing is definitely in some King of the Hill multiplayer servers where I play most, but I don't know if it's in singleplayer. 

Here is my 2 cent contribution for thus who like to abort healing themselves. Run this code for player, then when healing yourself, just strike escape key.

Escape key is not impacted for other stuff, of course. The most difficult was to cancel the healing result as the hit points are instantaneously healed. But this works.

player addEventHandler ["animchanged", {
    params ["_plyr","_anim"];
    call {
      if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medic"]) exitWith {
          if (isnil "MGI_keysHealing") then {
            MGI_keysHealing = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler ["KeyDown",
              "
                _handled = false;
                if ((_this select 1) == 1) exitWith {
                  _handled = true;
                  [] spawn {
                    waitUntil {!isNull findDisplay 49};
                    (findDisplay 49) closeDisplay 2;
                    [player,MGI_unitpos] remoteExec ['switchMove'];
                    sleep 0.1;
                    player setDamage (MGI_dam select 0);
                    for '_i' from 0 to count (MGI_dam select 1 select 0) - 1 do {
                      player setHitPointDamage [(MGI_dam select 1) select 0 select _i, (MGI_dam select 1) select 2 select _i]
                    };
                  };
                };
                (findDisplay 46) displayRemoveEventHandler ['keyDown',MGI_keysHealing];
                MGI_keysHealing = nil;         
                _handled
            "];
          };
        };
      MGI_unitpos = _anim;
      MGI_dam = [damage _plyr,getAllHitPointsDamage _plyr];
      };
}];

Just because it's more realistic to abort an action when someone is firing at you (you don't have eyes all around the head), I modified the script for aborting the heal on another unit also. In any case, the player loose the medikit, and the damage + hit points damages are unchanged (no result for heal on player or unit).

just srtike esc key.

Spoiler

call {
      if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medicother","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medicother"]) exitWith {
            call {
              if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medic"]) exitWith {MGI_anim = 0};
              if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medicother","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medicother"]) exitWith {MGI_anim = 1};
            };
              "
                _handled = false;
                  _handled = true;
                  [] spawn {
                    private '_unit';
                    sleep 0.1;
                    call {
                      if (MGI_anim == 0) exitWith {_unit = player};
                      if (MGI_anim == 1) exitWith {_unit = cursorTarget};
                    };
                    waituntil {damage _unit == 0.25 or damage _unit == 0};
                    _unit setDamage (MGI_dam select 0);
                      _unit setHitPointDamage [(MGI_dam select 1) select 0 select _i, (MGI_dam select 1) select 2 select _i]
                      };
                  };
                };
                MGI_keysHealing = nil;
                MGI_anim = nil;
                _handled
            "];
          };
        };
      MGI_unitpos = _anim;
      MGI_dam = if (cursorTarget isKindOf "CAManBase") then [{[damage cursorTarget,getAllHitPointsDamage cursorTarget]},{[damage _plyr,getAllHitPointsDamage _plyr]}];
      };
}];

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Just because it's more realistic to abort an action when someone is firing at you (you don't have eyes all around the head), I modified the script for aborting the heal on another unit also. In any case, the player loose the medikit, and the damage + hit points damages are unchanged (no result for heal on player or unit).

just srtike esc key.

Reveal hidden contents

call {
      if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medicother","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medicother"]) exitWith {
            call {
              if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medic","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medic"]) exitWith {MGI_anim = 0};
              if (_anim in ["ainvpknlmstpslaywrfldnon_medicother","ainvppnemstpslaywrfldnon_medicother"]) exitWith {MGI_anim = 1};
            };
              "
                _handled = false;
                  _handled = true;
                  [] spawn {
                    private '_unit';
                    sleep 0.1;
                    call {
                      if (MGI_anim == 0) exitWith {_unit = player};
                      if (MGI_anim == 1) exitWith {_unit = cursorTarget};
                    };
                    waituntil {damage _unit == 0.25 or damage _unit == 0};
                    _unit setDamage (MGI_dam select 0);
                      _unit setHitPointDamage [(MGI_dam select 1) select 0 select _i, (MGI_dam select 1) select 2 select _i]
                      };
                  };
                };
                MGI_keysHealing = nil;
                MGI_anim = nil;
                _handled
            "];
          };
        };
      MGI_unitpos = _anim;
      MGI_dam = if (cursorTarget isKindOf "CAManBase") then [{[damage cursorTarget,getAllHitPointsDamage cursorTarget]},{[damage _plyr,getAllHitPointsDamage _plyr]}];
      };
}];

Très sympa. Do you have pbo version?