Sign in to follow this  
idhronphant

Third person mode & realism

I like 1st better for immersion but often use 3rd for one simple reason: to locate trajectory of incoming because it's impossible with the lacking positional 3d audio. Like stated above, the AI have the advantage so by the time I try to determine what direction those bullets are coming from it's generally too late. In RL if a glass bottle crashes behind you at 7'oclock you instinctively jump straight ahead but this is an impossibility in this game.

I don't like to see enemies while behind cover in 3rd however and that's why I use the Fourth Wall mod ;)

I like 1st better for immersion but often use 3rd for one simple reason: to locate trajectory of incoming because it's impossible with the lacking positional 3d audio. Like stated above, the AI have the advantage so by the time I try to determine what direction those bullets are coming from it's generally too late. In RL if a glass bottle crashes behind you at 7'oclock you instinctively jump straight ahead but this is an impossibility in this game.

I don't like to see enemies while behind cover in 3rd however and that's why I use the Fourth Wall mod ;)

It's not impossible with a good pair of headphones. I just got the Razer Kraken 7.1 (virtual surround headset) and I can tell with amazing precision where every bullet lands. I'm also using JSRS 2.1 but I'm not sure if it helps.

I like 1st better for immersion but often use 3rd for one simple reason: to locate trajectory of incoming because it's impossible with the lacking positional 3d audio.

This.

Also, we haven't quite gotten to the level where you can manipulate your character in such a way that you could IRL, by just barely peeking over or around something to get a glimpse, you more or less have to expose yourself.

Like stated above, the AI have the advantage so by the time I try to determine what direction those bullets are coming from it's generally too late. In RL if a glass bottle crashes behind you at 7'oclock you instinctively jump straight ahead but this is an impossibility in this game.

Agreed, honestly, if you're doing deathmatch or some other competitive mode, obviously 3rd person needs to be agreed upon or ruled out.

It's not impossible with a good pair of headphones. I just got the Razer Kraken 7.1 (virtual surround headset) and I can tell with amazing precision where every bullet lands. I'm also using JSRS 2.1 but I'm not sure if it helps.

Agreed, I don´t have super great headphones but Beats by Dre Studio is more then enough up for the task to locate where shots or sounds are coming from with incredible precision.

Some sound models are also broken which means you can hear someone reload or change firing more up to 200m away from you but that´s another discussion.

I also don´t use any sound mod, straight vanilla for me.

And if you can´t locate in what direction sound is coming from then you need to either do something with your settings or buy better headphones.

This.

Also, we haven't quite gotten to the level where you can manipulate your character in such a way that you could IRL, by just barely peeking over or around something to get a glimpse, you more or less have to expose yourself.

We have leaning and stance adjustment... using both of them I only believe your head is visible around a corner.

Agreed, I don´t have super great headphones but Beats by Dre Studio is more then enough up for the task to locate where shots or sounds are coming from with incredible precision.

Some sound models are also broken which means you can hear someone reload or change firing more up to 200m away from you but that´s another discussion.

I also don´t use any sound mod, straight vanilla for me.

And if you can´t locate in what direction sound is coming from then you need to either do something with your settings or buy better headphones.

Seriously?

Your saying you guys have fully functioning 3d positional audio? I can barely tell where any gunfire is coming from and generally need to rotate to "catch the angle". Obviously I can tell when bullets are landing around me but not really with any precision. Worse being just the sound of enemy gunfire being extremely directionally vague.

I use a Logitech G930, don't know if it's considered high end or not but seemed to be generally favorable reviews. What settings are you referring to as now I feel like I've been missing out!

Seriously?

Your saying you guys have fully functioning 3d positional audio? I can barely tell where any gunfire is coming from and generally need to rotate to "catch the angle". Obviously I can tell when bullets are landing around me but not really with any precision. Worse being just the sound of enemy gunfire being extremely directionally vague.

I use a Logitech G930, don't know if it's considered high end or not but seemed to be generally favorable reviews. What settings are you referring to as now I feel like I've been missing out!

Yep... That's pretty much how I know where bullets are coming from (using a Logitech G35). By listening. I got to admit though that is' really hard to hear the direction of shots if they're fired very close to you.

But don't beat yourself up, it may be that your ear cups aren't build for catching up those tiny differences in frequencies that create the psycho-acoustic effects that lead to the impression of directionality with headphones. If you get the same problem with a 5.1 system of speakers in a wider space, I'd rather check your sound device - that's the best way to catch up on directions in Arma 3.

Edited by Pergor

We have leaning and stance adjustment... using both of them I only believe your head is visible around a corner.

I would have to try that and see.

Either way, it doesn't kill my experience any to use 3rd person perspective if I'm being shot at from behind a crappy LOD obstacle from 200m away and I don't know the point of origin of the tracers.

You claim I didn't claim ? So, reread what you wrote and tell me how that was not a claim that I claimed. But claim whatever I claimed I said. I'm breathless with anticipation as to what else I claimed that you claimed I claimed but later claim you didn't claim I claimed.

I think you should also get an idea about what the problem is.

3rd-p is about seeing your character as many other users have already mentioned in the thread.

It is also about being able to see wider

SOME make it about seeing your character, as has been said multiple times. SOME about seeing your character. You argue ONLY about your point, then (the viewing of the character), while I was talking about the other point. Fine. Maybe I shouldn't even mention that moving the viewpoint over the should will hide most of the character, making YOUR point you are trying to argue even more mute than the other point being argued...

PvP, i'm used to 1p. I have played pvp on 1p in a 3p server afew times --seemed the 3p guys were slow to draw-down gun to gun.

To each his/her own. Tho, i would encourage 3p players to learn the ins & outs of 1p play.

It won't make you a worse PvP player.

Seriously?

Yea dead serious. If a bullet wizzes past my head and i don´t hear the gun shooting the bullet then no because all you hear is the shot going past your head but if you hear the gun itself, with a good set of headphones you should be able to locate exactly what direction it´s coming from regardless of your own position (or angle if you will).

And not just "oh it came from north or west" but "it definitely came from north-east". Sometimes even more accurate then that.

But for me the fire mode sound and reload have no 3D positioning whatsoever, it´s just a sound played in my headphones.

I think it´s just a generic circle where if both of you are inside it, the sound will play.

i think your problem is setting related, possibly soundcard related. Play around with it a bit and see what you can find.

Yeah, 3d sound ain't as good as we all wish it was.

I use the razer sound driver, and it helps alot.

I find tracers forced on & no sound suppressors also helps PvP play.

And high particle settings do help seeing the shooter.

You claim I didn't claim ? So, reread what you wrote and tell me how that was not a claim that I claimed. But claim whatever I claimed I said. I'm breathless with anticipation as to what else I claimed that you claimed I claimed but later claim you didn't claim I claimed.

SOME make it about seeing your character, as has been said multiple times. SOME about seeing your character. You argue ONLY about your point, then (the viewing of the character), while I was talking about the other point. Fine. Maybe I shouldn't even mention that moving the viewpoint over the should will hide most of the character, making YOUR point you are trying to argue even more mute than the other point being argued...

I haven't claimed that you didn't claim anything anywhere... have I?

Moving the viewpoint closer would still leave a lot of the character visible, most importantly stance, arms and gun and if you do want to look at the ground you would have to tilt the camera downwards less than if you were in 1st.

This time you said this:

"Again, it's not whether you see your character or not."

Which is wrong. I said 3rd-person is about seeing your character, seeing wider and so on in other words that there are many components to what makes 3rd-person useful, which is correct.

To me it's simple. No philosophy. Just my taste. I think it's boring to be able to watch over walls if you are behind it. Much more tension if you cannot look around as godlike as in 3rdP. 1stP is more fun for me, I always prefer 1stPerson - except in MP servers which allow 3rdPerson - I'd be in a disadvantage there. But I try to play on 1stPerson public servers, if possible. There's also have a higher probability to meet more "adult" players.

Pointless tread. It's a matter of opinion. They didn't restrict us which is great gives us the freedom to choose for ourselves.. Everyones a winner.

I play both depending on the server. Always nice to have variety.

3rd person is fine when you have players who won't cheat. It is extremely common to see people peering around corners, over walls, and from defilade unfairly. Maybe there should be a black area over what the player can't see, so if the player can't see around the corner neither can the 3rd Person camera. Probably wouldn't work but whatever.

1st person is unrealistic because you can't see your character.

3rd person is unrealistic because you can see over walls.

So it looks like a tie..:)

We will just have to live with these issues until the holodeck is invented. :)

This is a puzzle what you said.In arma you can use alt to look at yourself right?In life is the same - you turn your

head around but can't see your back and what's behind you, neither you can watch area from elevated position.

So how come is 1st person unrealistic?

It looks like you need to find out about the ALT key. You will be rewarded richly. But however, its all a matter of taste IMO.

Pointless tread. It's a matter of opinion. They didn't restrict us which is great gives us the freedom to choose for ourselves.. Everyones a winner.

I play both depending on the server. Always nice to have variety.

Don't be an idiot, read the thread. 3rd-person invites cheating but many still use it because 1st-person gives you such a narrow field of view and no sense of what your character is doing.

3rd-person without being able to see over walls like in most 3rd-person shooters would be nice.

This is a puzzle what you said.In arma you can use alt to look at yourself right?In life is the same - you turn your

head around but can't see your back and what's behind you, neither you can watch area from elevated position.

So how come is 1st person unrealistic?

It looks like you need to find out about the ALT key. You will be rewarded richly. But however, its all a matter of taste IMO.

Read the thread. In reality you have a much broader field of view especially if you count in eye movement without moving your entire head and more importantly you can sense your body.

Hello

I have been watching alot of Arma 3, 2 videos lately, and I saw a lot of comments like: "it's meant to be hardcore, most realistic military simulator, as real as it gets, tactical cooperated secret realistic operations.."

and others such as: "cod players go home, you have no place here if you play bf 3, this is the game people play to experience realism in its true form"

There is no problem with saying that, I myself think arma can deliver fairly realistic experience - compared to other games, with the use of some mods, and teamwork...

though

I also noticed that in more than 60% of the "Realistic co-operation, tactical mission, ..." videos I watched, the player was in third person mode most of the time..

Or used 3rd person to take a quick look-around..

I can't understand that... maybe my meaning is wrong but what is the point in wanting to experience a realistic military action when you have a

third person camera enabled? Even if you use it for a quick 360 degree peek around your vehicle...

-Could be I watched only the wrong examples..

But anyways..

you could argument with "IRL you can maneuver more freely and see more clearly so 3rd person makes up for that".. I think arguments like that are plain nonsense

I don't mean to argue or insult, but enlighten me if you can

3rd person infantry? No, really no excuse for using that (no matter what others say) other than preference. 3rd person vehicles? Yes, I can see why that's necessary. Many vehicle interiors are not present in game and many vehicles you cannot turn out. There's also a sense of "feel" in the real world you have when inside a vehicle and that's totally lost in Arma when you have a 2d black port hole as your "vehicle". Although this doesn't apply to 3rd person aircraft, as all interiors are done for those.

On my server we have a mix, 1st person infantry and 3rd person vehicles...works well.

Read the thread. In reality you have a much broader field of view especially if you count in eye movement without moving your entire head and more importantly you can sense your body.

Don't forget you can change FOV!

example fov 100.Is this broad enough field?Don't forget that once I press alt,

you can see so much more in a split second.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/zemljaje11/arma32014-05-2114-29-28-441_zpsf0e75925.jpg]http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/zemljaje11/arma32014-05-2114-29-28-441_zpsf0e75925.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/zemljaje11/arma32014-05-2114-29-32-755_zpsa6dd05cb.jpg

Hmm... Third person and Realism... Ok, here it is folks, if you want realism, join a realism server where i'm positively certain 3rd Person is disabled. Usually servers without 3rd person are dedicated to a more realistic, and team based effort, where as normal servers with 3rd P aim on the more laid back side of things.