genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Is your script splitting original groups into smaller ones or should I look elsewhere? I'm having a big problem with that side effect.

I noticed this a few times. I think it happens when a unit goes to demo a house and maybe in some other scenarios. I haven't looked through the code but I noticed it on my home-madeâ„¢ debug group monitor.

EDIT: I should mention, they do rejoin their original groups.

Edited by Das Attorney

Clustering.

yes I use Zeus to zoom around and monitor the situation.

I rarely give waypoints.

Normally just place units and alow the AI to take over (one of the reasons I Like Vcom is their ability to "hear" gunfire and respond to support their colleagues.)

However 20 mins later or however long it takes to "finish" the confrontation, you'll often find the remaining victors all returned to approximately where they started, but normally all clustered around 1 WP that they're trying to get to.

I noticed that Opfor units fleeing also seem to RV at a point about 1.5km away and then go into stealth mode / prone / hiding. But all around 1 location.

How can i disable the waypoints given by the mod? And what about this waypoint lines which are all over my map then, is it possible to disable this functions?

Have read about this setvariable which needs to be inserted into mission.sqf (script version), but how it works for the modversion of VcomAI ?

Edited by LSD_Timewarp82

Clustering.

yes I use Zeus to zoom around and monitor the situation.

I rarely give waypoints.

Normally just place units and alow the AI to take over (one of the reasons I Like Vcom is their ability to "hear" gunfire and respond to support their colleagues.)

However 20 mins later or however long it takes to "finish" the confrontation, you'll often find the remaining victors all returned to approximately where they started, but normally all clustered around 1 WP that they're trying to get to.

I noticed that Opfor units fleeing also seem to RV at a point about 1.5km away and then go into stealth mode / prone / hiding. But all around 1 location.

I think you should start using something like GAIA then, to take care of actually moving your groups when not in combat. You will see much better results. And when not engaging, GAIA will send them to patrol the area.

Having said that, the big problem I have is, that with VcomAI, groups are disbanded/recreated (need confirmation and more testing), and so they escape GAIA control after a battle. And the same will happend with ANYTHING you try to use to control the groups they start in, so I can't really use VcomAI to do more than (very) good firefights :/

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you try UPSMON + ASR_AI.

Well I'm less worried long term as - remember this is just me testing with a shitload of mods.

Ideally it will be taking over ASR duties on our dedicated Server that Runs ALiVE - so the Macro Ai Movements are well covered by ALiVE.

That the point, they're not. ALIVE will loose control over the groups.

I use UPSMON and VCOMAI ,once the first fire, VCOMAI takes over. I also lower the AI warning distance to 250 it keeps the AI I want in the area and keeps out the AI I want to use later in another area. I think people tend to forget to adjust this to each mission. The default is 700 on new update. Lastly, I don't want AI to go back into patrol, I want them to come looking for us until we kill them or they kill us.

I use UPSMON and VCOMAI ,once the first fire, VCOMAI takes over.

Not at all. There's a lot of overlapping features. What happens is that, fortunatelly, there are no visible effects to that. The simplest conflic is, for instance, that both mods start ordering flanking maneuvers. Whether the AI obeys one or the other, there are no error messages or things like that. Another example is, when both scrips will try to plant explosives in the house you're hiding. Suppressive fire, smoke grenades, would be next in the line.

I can understand why people may feel concerned about these scripts with certain missions. I think this should be used widely as a script version for certain missions only as it takes a lot of control over the AI. Addon can break a lot of well planned out mission designs. Just a FYI for those using this as a main AI MOD. Saying that i do love this MOD though and am happy to see its still in DEV stage. Keep it up man

Does this mod work good with units from EOS ? I would like to use this in a larger scope if it doesn't cause performance issues with cached units. And EOS gives them WP's which you said might mess with them being called over to other teams within their side as reinforcement.

I can also account that the ai seems to group up unrealistically at times.

This mod is exactly what I was looking for!

Tons of testing to do now.

Edited by 3lockad3

BIS defaults for BLUFOR and OPFOR are, by design, the same. You can take that out of the equation :).

Thanks, Seba. Will run some more tests at some point.

Not at all. There's a lot of overlapping features. What happens is that, fortunatelly, there are no visible effects to that. The simplest conflic is, for instance, that both mods start ordering flanking maneuvers. Whether the AI obeys one or the other, there are no error messages or things like that. Another example is, when both scrips will try to plant explosives in the house you're hiding. Suppressive fire, smoke grenades, would be next in the line.

I think both UPSMON and VCOMAI do a great job. IF an AI unit gets out of his squad or does something dumb oh well. OVERALL this enhances the game play from default BIS crap. I understand people want to help Genesis with this script because its great, I get it, I also know he stated he made this to work along with UPSMON, he also stated VCOMAI takes over once firing starts, I havent seen anything different than that. I guess to me if there are minor AI stuff I can live with it, at the end of the day, this is still the best AI behavior script IMO, and he gives you some user config to adjust to help your mission play better. If an AI gets confused and throws a smoke instead of a satchel oh well. like I said minor stuff. Genesis is good at meeting the community requests too. I am sure if you guys give him continued input he will work on it.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Does this mod work good with units from EOS ? I would like to use this in a larger scope if it doesn't cause performance issues with cached units. And EOS gives them WP's which you said might mess with them being called over to other teams within their side as reinforcement.

I can also account that the ai seems to group up unrealistically at times.

This mod is exactly what I was looking for!

Tons of testing to do now.

I done some testing with EOS and other AI spawn scripts, it does work with those. remember this is a AI behavior script that kicks in once firing has started and the AI call in reinforcements to the areas of conflict based on the AI warning distance you set. Default is 700m. Which is a larger area. But with spawn scripts you probably dont need to worry about those unless you have overlapping zones and random placed units outside the zones that would be called in.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

I can understand why people may feel concerned about these scripts with certain missions. I think this should be used widely as a script version for certain missions only as it takes a lot of control over the AI. Addon can break a lot of well planned out mission designs. Just a FYI for those using this as a main AI MOD. Saying that i do love this MOD though and am happy to see its still in DEV stage. Keep it up man

People have to realize the AIwarning distance is adjustable to 0 if needed for missions. That being said its set to 700 m so if not changed, the AI will call in reinforcements up to 700 m + based on where the AI is located. Turn it down and I know you will be happy with results, I use 250 m and rarely get units coming in to my zones that I dont want, you may get some, BUT that to me is a bit more realistic. You just need to know this addon before using. You need to know how to adjust its parameters and how to use it.

Alright, thank you for your reply.

Ya I did notice them hunt me off the grid very aggressively.

Thanks

Q

...he also stated VCOMAI takes over once firing starts

From a technical perpective, there's absolutely no way one script can just "take over", when features overlap like this. As I said, fortunately, most conflicts are not visible, and you can play both scripts at once, but none of them will work the way they would without the influence of each other. That's why I suggested GAIA to work along with vComAI, instead of UPSMON, because GAIA is a fork of UPSMON regarding AI movement, but it doesn't micromanage the AI the way both UPSMON, and VcomAI does.

I'm enjoying running some test scenarios with your mod here. Thanks for sharing these scripts. :)

Im trying to get Norrins revive scripted that was ported to arma3 to work with this mod.But due to the unit ragdoll/animations,my squad who are supposed to go into a revive state sometimes die,sometimes turn invincible.

Is there any way to determin exactly what part of this mod is causing that,and if so is there a way to disable that function for playable units/players group?

Iv already attempted to use the commands the mod authour set out to disable AI being given features of this mod.But it dosent work.

Thanks in advance

Im trying to get Norrins revive scripted that was ported to arma3 to work with this mod.But due to the unit ragdoll/animations,my squad who are supposed to go into a revive state sometimes die,sometimes turn invincible.

Is there any way to determin exactly what part of this mod is causing that,and if so is there a way to disable that function for playable units/players group?

Iv already attempted to use the commands the mod authour set out to disable AI being given features of this mod.But it dosent work.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, the animations got looked over this version. I am planning on actually completely removing them since they are causing issues.

Unfortunately, the animations got looked over this version. I am planning on actually completely removing them since they are causing issues.

Thanks for reply(and for the mod,its class)

When you say remove completely,are you refering to those cool moves ai do to "slide into cover"?

Theyre pretty awesome.I think people culd live with removing the fall when shot function as TPW has a feature like that.People could choose wether they want use his one with this mod or not.But i urge you to keep this slide into cover.Makes combt feel more dynamic/action packed somehow.Gives a sense of urgency to ai ven if it is cosmetic.

because GAIA is a fork of UPSMON regarding AI movement, but it doesn't micromanage the AI the way both UPSMON, and VcomAI does.

Pretty sure Spirit wouldn't be happy to read that... I was there where he wrote it from scratch... it's no fork. They used to use UPSMON but completely changed the code based on a "patrol / search" script that Spirit developed originally outside of MCC whilst he was part of 3cb. It was only combined to replace UPSMON, much later.

J

Pretty sure Spirit wouldn't be happy to read that... I was there where he wrote it from scratch... it's no fork. They used to use UPSMON but completely changed the code based on a "patrol / search" script that Spirit developed originally outside of MCC whilst he was part of 3cb. It was only combined to replace UPSMON, much later.

J

I do prefer the way upsmon handles its waypoints,Its much less predictable.

Also groups moving about do it in diffrent manner than GAIA.After a while gaia becomes a little predictable imo.

With upsmon,you have much more user configuration too,such as giving groups custom behavior/formation for patrolling.I dont like the way GAIA "takes charge"

Its not great for mission makers.But it is good for their mission generator.

No disrespect to all involved in GAIA,i did enjoy it for a time,but again,it has limits that mission makers dont like very much

it has limits that mission makers dont like very much

There are all kinds of mission makers.

I see them as quite different as you suggest. GAIA is a Gamesmaster function, the Sprial-conical WP generation it creats is pridictable if you are the GM or Watching within Zeus. But as a player it's not noticable, all you know is that you're getting badly flanked !!!

Upsmon is much more configurable, but not as easy to use on the fly.... Horses for courses I suppose

SJ

I agree with Serjames, in the end it's the players' experience,not normally the mission maker's. We as mission makers know how it all works in the background, the players just, play, they don't see that "x" and "y" is wrong or repetitive, they see it as apart of the mission.

J

It is prettly clear from GAIA's manual, that UPSMON was very much in the mind of GAIA's authors, and while it may not be technically a "fork", the basic idea of taking a working idea and modify it in order to improve it to your heart's content, is the proccess of "forking".

I get the principle, but would still avoid calling it a Fork. "Inspired by" would be more within the spirit (!) of what you are refering. :-)

Either way they're both brilliant pieces of work.

Not sure UPSMON uses FSM's though ? dunno - It was probably coded by hand originally.