RushHour

Arma 3 Kart DLC

This topic and community are far too serious now. There was a time when we were wearing silly avatars and laughing at fArma :partytime:
I'm still a bit upset over the lack of tractors in A3, to be honest.
I still remember having fled aboard a tractor in After Montignac (as i couldn't walk being injured).
No kidding. There was a time when people were making crazy mods for OFP and just having fun, not worrying about shit being "realistic". I'm happy that Bohemia Interactive is doing fun stuff like these karts and the Zeus mode.

I'm glad they took the approach they did with ArmA 3, they had full creative control. We had 100% new content in ArmA 3 that wasn't just recycled over, over and over again from the previous games.

Over the years, it seems the community turned ArmA into a "hardcore simulator" when in reality it's not.

Amen brothers. Remember being sold to get the demo when I read that OFP was an "infantry simulator with a good story" in Computer Gaming World 2001. The good old days when you patiently (ok forced to be so) waited for a new demo disk in Bi-Monthly gaming mags. No instant gratification or internet to launch instantaneous vitriolic verbal diarrhea 5 seconds after launch. It gave one a good sense of humor, and a deep appreciation to sit down and read a gaming manual before kicking back with a good Cuban and Scotch and delving into these mysterious games.

Alas, I thought of OFP as a good, fun story that did tend to focus on the infantry side of things but also allowed one to enter any vehicle which was pretty unheard of for that time. I never expected all vehicles to act and look 100%. The 'dedicated military sim-esque game' thing came later...

Back on topic: DEVS! What is the release date on this Karts DLC! What is the MSRP!

Yeah as you can see I registered in this forums a few days ago... :rolleyes:

So the A3 content is not recycled from previous games? You mean the Kamaz truck? the csat helo from the PMC DLC? the AAF helos and IFV from the british pack? the APC from the Czech DLC? Or you mean that half of the armor share the same body and half of the land vehicles the turret design? Not to talk about the same UAV or boats. But besides that, no recycling at all.

I never said anything about your registration date and it doesn't matter at all when you signed up on these forums. There is no registration date hierarchy. It does not define how much knowledge you have, it doesn't make you better than anyone else if you signed up earlier. We are all equal here.

I never said that all of the content in ArmA 3 was new, did I? I only said that we had content that was 100% new. I don't recall something like that from the previous games, the A-10 model was recycled OFP-ArmA:OA with very little changes. People complain that all the models are the same, yet they don't realize the amount of work that went into making just one model vs importing it from the previous game.

Edited by Nicholas

I never said anything about your registration date and it doesn't matter at all when you signed up on these forums.

I never said that all of the content in ArmA 3 was new, did I? I only said that we had content that was 100% new. I don't recall something like that from the previous games, the A-10 model was recycled OFP-ArmA:OA with very little changes. People complain that all the models are the same, yet they don't realize the amount of work that went into making just one model vs importing it from the previous game.

The registration date was to show you that I've here for a while, and the realistic trend has been here from the beginning ( obviously with the time things have improved, like now we have a breathtaking light system and better physics.

The recycling point was not a complain, but to show you that a big part of the game content was not new, and in every instance of the series BI has added new content ( for example in A2, most of the DLCs content was new, ego no recycled ).

If you have read my previous posts in this thread, you'd noticed that My only complain on A3 is the point of creating a weird future, where most of the equipment and sides doesn't fit or make sense. OFP/Arma series has always add fictional realistic countries and sides, not an absurd sci-fi.

Specially having in mind that they have all the contemporary history and armies to create ( from WW1 to North Korea's army ), no need for crazy future predictions or to always depict the mighty US as the good guys ( in fact the best campaign of the series was Resistance where you were not playing as american ).

Said that, I'd love if they add that karts, and to me the addition of Zeus were great news ( I'd prefer if there was a Zeus-Editor version, to have the much requested 3D editor ). A3 is IMO the biggest step forward since OFP, but IMO the weird futuristic setting was 100% wrong.

The registration date was to show you that I've here for a while, and the realistic trend has been here from the beginning ( obviously with the time things have improved, like now we have a breathtaking light system and better physics.

The recycling point was not a complain, but to show you that a big part of the game content was not new, and in every instance of the series BI has added new content ( for example in A2, most of the DLCs content was new, ego no recycled ).

If you have read my previous posts in this thread, you'd noticed that My only complain on A3 is the point of creating a weird future, where most of the equipment and sides doesn't fit or make sense. OFP/Arma series has always add fictional realistic countries and sides, not an absurd sci-fi.

Specially having in mind that they have all the contemporary history and armies to create ( from WW1 to North Korea's army ), no need for crazy future predictions or to always depict the mighty US as the good guys ( in fact the best campaign of the series was Resistance where you were not playing as american ).

Said that, I'd love if they add that karts, and to me the addition of Zeus were great news ( I'd prefer if there was a Zeus-Editor version, to have the much requested 3D editor ). A3 is IMO the biggest step forward since OFP, but IMO the weird futuristic setting was 100% wrong.

I don't think the units in ArmA 3 are too sci-fi. People do not take into account how fast technology advances. Technology might advance at a rate of 2x this year, but next year it might advance at a rate of 10x. You can never predict what kind of breakthroughs they might come up with. No other games have done a setting like this, it's better than the old usual, over-used settings and units. Many of the vehicles in ArmA 3 are actually based off of real vehicles.

Have you seen Poland's PL-01 concept?

PL-01_concept_direct_fire_support_tracked_combat_vehicle_Obrum_Polish_Defence_Holding_industry_military_technology_640_001.jpg

I also agree, I would love to see these karts and cannot wait for Zeus.

I'm leaning a bit to the other direction, seeing what this community can do, I'm certain that real armies with real gear will show up, and they already have.

I'm eager to see what kind of fresh stuff BI can come up with, IMHO it's a bit silly to do the same stuff over and over again in every title.

But yeah, we will see!

Doesn't really matter what BI comes up with, people want what is familiar and not much in the way of change, the fact that everyone goes after the arma 2 ports is proof enough.

Either way what I'm reading in this thread is quite hilarious but sad at the same time @

Player base - BI we'd like more realism as that is why we play your games

BI - Yea right but we don't really give a toss much and just want to keep on rolling with that sendbox thing or whatever we call it now

I don't think the units in ArmA 3 are too sci-fi. People do not take into account how fast technology advances. Technology might advance at a rate of 2x this year, but next year it might advance at a rate of 10x. You can never predict what kind of breakthroughs they might come up with. No other games have done a setting like this, it's better than the old usual, over-used settings and units. Many of the vehicles in ArmA 3 are actually based off of real vehicles

Precisely, fhe problem of the future, is that by default is unpredictable, so it's a ground that better leave untouched by BI. The past is ok and has already been seen in the series; there are a lot of wars and conflicts to represent.

And I don't mind of fictional sides as long as they are based in something real. You can create guerrillas based in Chechen-Georgia militias ( Chernarus ), Afghan-Iraq ones ( Takistan ), and a long etc. IMO is the lack of creativity what make them use the futurist card ( which had ended in Take on Mars ).

Besides that this kind of setting has been used in a lot of games, for instance Tom Clancy's EndWar. For example it doesn't make any sense to use the Comanche as a main attack helo, when it was precisely designed as a recon helo. Or that the US use the Merkava family ( even a tunned M1A1 would have fit ). Etc.

Specially awful is IMO the CSAT MRAP ( which although is based in a RL car ), it would be useless with such a huge front windscreen, or the CSAT uniform that is the anti militar uniform by excellence, completely unpractical and ugly. Just NO-NO.

Doesn't really matter what BI comes up with, people want what is familiar and not much in the way of change, the fact that everyone goes after the arma 2 ports is proof enough.

I'm not saying a modern setting would be a bad thing but isn't that a bit generalized, I know I'm not alone saying I like the futuristic setting and hardware.

I'm not saying a modern setting would be a bad thing but isn't that a bit generalized, I know I'm not alone saying I like the futuristic setting and hardware.

You're right, you're not alone, I liked the idea of a futuristic setting, I loved the idea of NATO in shambles but the general consensus was basicly "Future? EW!" Despite the fact that most of the equipment used exists now or was experimented on during late cold war times, a response so numerous that a thread "is arma 3 realistic?" with a list of equipment and their real counterparts had to be made only to still be griped upon.

Considering the amount of times I've seen "apache plox, abrams please, blackhawk pwease" yes, I'm growing more and more convinced that people want what is familiar, and I'm not talking about the Arma 2 ports to slight the people who put in all that work, it takes a lot of time and effort but I won't lie and say I'm not dissapointed that people have sat back and waited for others to port what we've already known as opposed to reinventing the wheel so to speak.

Another piece to this would be the people saying they just can't get into Arma 3 because of the tropical setting, it just doesnt feel right..yet nobody complained about Arma 1 and South Sahrani so it must be a lack of familiarity.

Now matters are worse because people are losing their sense of humor, with several "Oh my god, really BI?" or "BI's lost it" in response to the kart DLC, as if the developers can't have fun anymore...in fact that is a trend I'm seeing a lot in games in general...too focused on the "serious" aspects.

Either way what I'm reading in this thread is quite hilarious but sad at the same time @

Player base - BI we'd like more realism as that is why we play your games

BI - Yea right but we don't really give a toss much and just want to keep on rolling with that sendbox thing or whatever we call it now

Ironic that you should frame it this way considering that -- what with the 2035 and the Comanche in particular being among the first reveals -- BI has had the latter approach since even before DayZ. Whatever the "change of direction" occurred at the start of DnA's tenure during the infamous winter of 2012, the 2035 setting and inauthentic-inventories have been there right from the start.
You're right, you're not alone, I liked the idea of a futuristic setting, I loved the idea of NATO in shambles but the general consensus was basicly "Future? EW!" Despite the fact that most of the equipment used exists now or was experimented on during late cold war times, a response so numerous that a thread "is arma 3 realistic?" with a list of equipment and their real counterparts had to be made only to still be griped upon.
At least on other sites, I saw the response to 'this gear has real counterparts' turn to the equipment existing but not being used by the US IRL (i.e. the Slammer/Merkava), or being pooh-poohed as unworkable (i.e. some of the real-world vehicle designs), or them just being wedded to the image of AKs and M4s for their immersion... as with "no promises", it sounds like someone at BI decided 'damned if we do, damned if we don't'.
I'm not talking about the Arma 2 ports to slight the people who put in all that work, it takes a lot of time and effort but I won't lie and say I'm not dissapointed that people have sat back and waited for others to port what we've already known as opposed to reinventing the wheel so to speak.
The thing about the porting is that it's one thing for Maruk to say that porting over the A2 content is 'beyond what we can do in a reasonable time', but it appears to me (as someone who's done some ports) that the devs never intended to port the A2 content, because if the sources release at the BIKI/on the official torrents is indicative, a bunch of the "lot of time and effort" it takes to port A2 content is due to the devs having apparently done literally nothing to get the sources Arma 3-compatible beyond simply providing them. As someone who hasn't yet figured out how to do batch re-pathing in models, not fun! :mad: Edited by Chortles

Considering the amount of times I've seen "apache plox, abrams please, blackhawk pwease" yes, I'm growing more and more convinced that people want what is familiar, and I'm not talking about the Arma 2 ports to slight the people who put in all that work, it takes a lot of time and effort but I won't lie and say I'm not dissapointed that people have sat back and waited for others to port what we've already known as opposed to reinventing the wheel so to speak.

Another piece to this would be the people saying they just can't get into Arma 3 because of the tropical setting, it just doesnt feel right..yet nobody complained about Arma 1 and South Sahrani so it must be a lack of familiarity.

I wonder how big (small) percentage of the whole player-base is registered and/or active on these forums, here I too get the feeling that the majority is against the current setting, but judging by my (fairly limited I must say) experience of public MP, it's about 50/50 who likes or dislikes it.

I live in the northern Europe, and am very familiar with terrain like e.g Chernarus, it's nice for me to see something new in Altis and Stratis, something totally different than what I got so used to while serving in the army or while playing airsoft with my mates.

Now matters are worse because people are losing their sense of humor, with several "Oh my god, really BI?" or "BI's lost it" in response to the kart DLC, as if the developers can't have fun anymore...in fact that is a trend I'm seeing a lot in games in general...too focused on the "serious" aspects.

Agreed, this really saddens me, I browsed these forums at the time of Arma2 release and I remember the atmosphere being much more polite and .. how do I put it, comfy...

haha this is so great... i love when devs do this type of thing.

It's real, just now theres an Arma 3 Karts dlc update on steam!

Arma 3 Karts, all new content for Arma 3 is Now Available on Steam!

Start your engines - this is Arma 3 Karts! When we unveiled our 2014 April Fools joke via the Splendid Split parody video, some of you were quite keen for us to release the go-karts package for real. And here it is, for everyone to try. Enjoy this little sidestep in our typically military sandbox!

It's 1,49€ - http://store.steampowered.com/app/288520/

Oh and theres an DLC Bundle! - http://store.steampowered.com/app/304400

Edited by EricCartman3470

I was just wondering what update Steam was downloading. :yay:

BI is awesome! Also:

"A portion of the proceeds from sales of the Arma 3 Karts DLC will be donated to the Czech Red Cross."

Way to go, Bohemia!

How does it work in MP? Do we all get bad texture Karts and the 1.49E unlocks the hi-quality textures like BAF/PMC etc?

I'd like to put them in a mission but don't want to alienate non-purchasers.

I can't check this afternoon as I'm at work and can't access Steam.

Thanks

I was just wondering what update Steam was downloading. :yay:

BI is awesome! Also:

"A portion of the proceeds from sales of the Arma 3 Karts DLC will be donated to the Czech Red Cross."

Way to go, Bohemia!

Seriously needed money made through a "joke" dlc. Very nice.

I feel that BIS is on the right track with this dlc, stuff like this is cool.

Nice one BIS. Can't wait to play this. Also nice touch to further the work with the Red Cross.

I have eight bucks kicking around. Time to go karting!

SERIOUSLY?! BI? why you do this this, why no fix game? wee need you fix game, not this! :mad:

(sorry, seeing only positive reactions, i couldn't help it ;) )