Sign in to follow this  
BlackViperGaming

High Quality Addons Project [HQAP]

Do you like the HQAP Initiative?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the HQAP Initiative?

• Yes
    • No

Black viper, it doesn't cost anything to have a blog, the only expense is time and effort.

I agree with PuFu, and you said that your not out to put your mark on other peoples work. But what do you think your doing when you say making it approved by HQAP, its putting your mark on it. Whether you think so or not. PuFu I agree with what you said about VAS, if people are going to download mods then they should take the time to sort out the overlaps shall we say. But as far as making it so that mods should be approved by HQAP is out of the question!

Edited by Yoshi

This thing really isn't needed at all i mean if you want to find highly rated mods you can go to armaholic where you also can rate mods you like and don't like of course. What you want is simply not needed the only actual purpose of this is it will break feelings and be de-motivating. IMO you should make a name of yourself a name people associate with high quality like the one you are looking for... then you can consider it and im sure a lot of other modders would too.

Regards.

Excuse my bad english

Edited by astast

What you and any other user out there don't get is this: most addon makers choose to share content with you. They have different reasons for creating said content (mostly personal interests), almost never you or other consumer being on the top of the priority list.

Yes, people take their IP rights quite seriously, and why shouldn't they? spending countless hours of their free time is not something that goes unnoticed, at least from their part.

So all in all, in the end YOU, the consumer, has to choose out of what is out there.

Not sure who you are responding to. I am aware of everything you are saying and in fact hinted at it in the post you are quoting. I'm aware of these issues not only because I have been in various roles on mod teams for several games including C&C Generals, Homeworld 2, and Company of Heroes, but because such issues are obvious just by taking a moment to put yourself in someone else's situation.

That said, you are off the mark because you are misunderstanding the way such a project should be run. It should be run by the people who WANT a consolidated mod rather than the original content creators. Having been on mod teams (and other online ventures), I know that the ball gets moved forward by people who are interested in the product they are creating. The creators of the original content are busy making what they want to make (e.g. their own mods) and that's great! The creators of the original content shouldn't have to do any more than give consent to use their content. And while I would strongly encourage any modder to share their work with others, I wouldn't twist anyone's arm to do so nor would I condone doing that.

Guys like Lukrop are already doing this in a small sense. He's modding other peoples work to allow for interchangeability of ammo and adding Spartan's ballistics and JSRS sounds.

There is absolutely no reason a modder couldn't or shouldn't, with permission, use his own time to take the best weapons from packs NatoSF, RH M4, R3F, BWMod and HLC and combine them into one pack with consistent ammo/sounds and no duplicate weapons.

There is absolutely no reason a modder couldn't or shouldn't, with permission, take something like CAF aggressors and replace the placeholder AKs with something more detailed.

Those are things we should encourage as long as:

A) The guy who wants to do this is the one doing the work.

B) The guy running the mod only uses work which he has permission to use/edit.

C) When asking for permission he asks nicely.

So let's be clear about this. We shouldn't hold a grudge against a modder who doesn't want to be part of that, but let's also not jump on someone if he is wants to do this and asks nicely. There is nothing wrong with asking because any person doing this would be doing expending considerable work and doing a great service for the community.

Nice Idea and I may actually consider this, but I am not currently in the financial state to pay for a website at the moment. I realize its not that much but I have to worry about other things as well. I actually will be starting to do ArmA mod reviews on my youtube channel starting by going over every single mod on armaholics ArmA 2 section then moving on to the ArmA 3 section.

If you can afford a domain, I can provide the hosting. Let me know.

Shadow, I understand what your saying, I do, but our content is our content, not his, I wouldn't have a problem if it was a modder I knew and respected, but this guy saying it should be HQAP approved is so far out of line it's untrue. If he wants to post a list of mods I would prefer he have experience in modding, and better be damn good at it, because slating other peoples work is low.

Edited by Yoshi

Not sure who you are responding to. I am aware of everything you are saying and in fact hinted at it in the post you are quoting. I'm aware of these issues not only because I have been in various roles on mod teams for several games including C&C Generals, Homeworld 2, and Company of Heroes, but because such issues are obvious just by taking a moment to put yourself in someone else's situation.

I was responding to you. fixed the quoting part in my previous comment.

BTW, not everyone is bothered to put themselves in someone's elses shoes.

That said, you are off the mark because you are misunderstanding the way such a project should be run. It should be run by the people who WANT a consolidated mod rather than the original content creators. Having been on mod teams (and other online ventures), I know that the ball gets moved forward by people who are interested in the product they are creating. The creators of the original content are busy making what they want to make (e.g. their own mods) and that's great! The creators of the original content shouldn't have to do any more than give consent to use their content. And while I would strongly encourage any modder to share their work with others, I wouldn't twist anyone's arm to do so nor would I condone doing that.

No, i am right on the coin, considering the OP's first post, and the second after.

Of course, clans and alike would have been doing what you suggested (as in consolidated and tested out addons that run together, and if not, with custom configs to make them work) since addons got the ball rolling back in OFP days. Nothing new here, but then again, not the point of this discussion, is it?

Guys like Lukrop are already doing this in a small sense. He's modding other peoples work to allow for interchangeability of ammo and adding Spartan's ballistics and JSRS sounds.

There is absolutely no reason a modder couldn't or shouldn't, with permission, use his own time to take the best weapons from packs NatoSF, RH M4, R3F, BWMod and HLC and combine them into one pack with consistent ammo/sounds and no duplicate weapons.

There is absolutely no reason a modder couldn't or shouldn't, with permission, take something like CAF aggressors and replace the placeholder AKs with something more detailed.

Those are things we should encourage as long as:

A) The guy who wants to do this is the one doing the work.

B) The guy running the mod only uses work which he has permission to use/edit.

C) When asking for permission he asks nicely.

So let's be clear about this. We shouldn't hold a grudge against a modder who doesn't want to be part of that, but let's also not jump on someone if he is wants to do this and asks nicely. There is nothing wrong with asking because any person doing this would be doing expending considerable work and doing a great service for the community.

I don't really get the argument tone in the above, since no one has contradicted you.

Just a note though: most experienced addon makers are trying to keep re-releases from happening for the general public(configs are excluded), and that is not due to micro-management, but rather keeping feedback and updates in a single place. RKSL knows very well what it means to go wild hunting for a bug that has been reported numerous times, in order to realize the said bug was due to 3rd party re-release and not their own fault.

Shadow, I understand what your saying, I do, but our content is our content, not his, I wouldn't have a problem if it was a modder I knew and respected, but this guy saying it should be HQAP approved is so far out of line it's untrue. If he wants to post a list of mods I would prefer he have experience in modding, and better be damn good at it, because slating other peoples work is low.

easy now. Your content is your own, stop using "ours" around. plus, losen up a bit until you get your addon out the door at least ;)

I not being aggressive, just stating an opinion, and at least I have a mod in development, and have modded on previous games. I know sometimes I might come across an ass but I'm just not liking the fact that someone with no experience is saying in basic terms that mods that have nothing to do with him should have a stamp of approval and as for the comment to which you referred "Ours" I do not mean comments, I mean in terms of mods, the work we do is our work, I only mean that putting a stamp of approval on other peoples work stating quality and quantity is both unfair to the author/ Authors who have made a mod the way they wanted to make it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I can imagine if an author made a mod that he or she has put hours and hours of work into to only have it not be accepted as a 'high quality addon' because the seats were not perfect, they would be pretty miffed off.

Whats 'high quality' and whats 'not high quality' is someones personal opinion and based upon their needs from a mod.

The original post made it very clear what is considered "high quality" for the purposes of this thread. How about you try reading it? I think this is a useful resource to have because it will encourage addon creators to create higher quality assets, instead of everyone just porting A2 stuff over and adding a bit of functionality.

Anyway, anyone who takes this personally against their addon isn't paying attention to the content of the original post and cares way too much what a few people on the internet think.

And I think everyone that is butthurt on this thread needs to look up context in the dictionary. Duder clearly appreciates the function of all of the awesome addons but also recognizes that there is value in a complete product. Form and function, not one or the other. Some of us would like to see addons that are more than ports with lazy textures, busted models, etc. Doesn't mean we don't understand that that's difficult to accomplish when you're one or two dudes, but if you expect a pity party because you're one dude working on a passion project and aren't also getting mad props from everyone in the world, you should maybe learn to just enjoy the creation for it's own sake.

But hey, why encourage addon creators to bring their work up to par with the game, to strive for improvements or to find ways to work with other elements of the community to improve the quality of their addons. And why celebrate those who were able to make a compete product that is awesome on all levels? No one is shitting on addons here, only saying "hey, these are really goddamn well done, in every way."

Y'all need to get out of your mothers' embrace and toughen up a bit, because this is a productive and constructive resource for the community that consumes all of the cool content coming from the addon creators.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

I'm going to paraphrase some sentiments Jeff Gerstmann has thrown at as a journalist in the games industry here: Knowing how something is made shouldn't impact the criticism of the end result. It should not matter how hard someone worked on something to the consumer, all that matters for them is, ultimately, the quality of the experience that product gives them. I know that most shitty games out there come about through very hard work of a lot of people who are skilled and more than capable of working on awesome games as well. That doesn't make the game any better.

You can't take this stuff personally. If anything, it should be a goal for addon creators to achieve something worth the praise offered, or something to ignore. If I made something and it didn't end up on this list, you know what my response would be? To go and look at feedback and improve until it was worth being on a list of other fully featured, fully realized addons. If my HMMWV model has an interior that looks like it was made of legos, it doesn't matter how much effort I put into it, it still looks crummy. And that's not reflective of me as a person, it's just reflective of the project itself. I'd work to improve it, not whine about how someone didn't appreciate the hard work I put into it.

We aren't talking about a dumb poem you were up all night writing for your high school sweetheart that turns out kind of goofy but at least the intention and effort has value. What an addon intends to achieve or how it was achieved is not important to the consumer, and if you want to create content you should learn that lesson quickly. Especially if you intend to ever do content creation outside of passion projects just for fun.

The original post made it very clear what is considered "high quality" for the purposes of this thread. How about you try reading it? I think this is a useful resource to have because it will encourage addon creators to create higher quality assets, instead of everyone just porting A2 stuff over and adding a bit of functionality.

Anyway, anyone who takes this personally against their addon isn't paying attention to the content of the original post and cares way too much what a few people on the internet think.

And I think everyone that is butthurt on this thread needs to look up context in the dictionary. Duder clearly appreciates the function of all of the awesome addons but also recognizes that there is value in a complete product. Form and function, not one or the other. Some of us would like to see addons that are more than ports with lazy textures, busted models, etc. Doesn't mean we don't understand that that's difficult to accomplish when you're one or two dudes, but if you expect a pity party because you're one dude working on a passion project and aren't also getting mad props from everyone in the world, you should maybe learn to just enjoy the creation for it's own sake.

But hey, why encourage addon creators to bring their work up to par with the game, to strive for improvements or to find ways to work with other elements of the community to improve the quality of their addons. And why celebrate those who were able to make a compete product that is awesome on all levels? No one is shitting on addons here, only saying "hey, these are really goddamn well done, in every way."

Y'all need to get out of your mothers' embrace and toughen up a bit, because this is a productive and constructive resource for the community that consumes all of the cool content coming from the addon creators.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

I'm going to paraphrase some sentiments Jeff Gerstmann has thrown at as a journalist in the games industry here: Knowing how something is made shouldn't impact the criticism of the end result. It should not matter how hard someone worked on something to the consumer, all that matters for them is, ultimately, the quality of the experience that product gives them. I know that most shitty games out there come about through very hard work of a lot of people who are skilled and more than capable of working on awesome games as well. That doesn't make the game any better.

You can't take this stuff personally. If anything, it should be a goal for addon creators to achieve something worth the praise offered, or something to ignore. If I made something and it didn't end up on this list, you know what my response would be? To go and look at feedback and improve until it was worth being on a list of other fully featured, fully realized addons. If my HMMWV model has an interior that looks like it was made of legos, it doesn't matter how much effort I put into it, it still looks crummy. And that's not reflective of me as a person, it's just reflective of the project itself. I'd work to improve it, not whine about how someone didn't appreciate the hard work I put into it.

We aren't talking about a dumb poem you were up all night writing for your high school sweetheart that turns out kind of goofy but at least the intention and effort has value. What an addon intends to achieve or how it was achieved is not important to the consumer, and if you want to create content you should learn that lesson quickly. Especially if you intend to ever do content creation outside of passion projects just for fun.

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I am trying to say. I really didn't want this to turn into such a crap-shoot.

I wouldn't say I'm getting personal, I just think that having one person, or group of people determine a quality mod is unfair, and yes, porting ArmA 2 content over might seem a waste to some people. But I happen to think that a lot of what they Modded for the previous ArmA game would greatly benefit the next gen game. Saying this is productive and constructive is fine, but it has a flip side as well. You might think people getting worked up is them being a baby (my words not yours, before anyone moans) But think of it this way. He wants to put quite plainly, a seal of approval on other peoples mods, listing them as either high quality or not so high quality based on whether they have quality and quantity. This if I'm not mistaken will involve some sort of harsh criticism about other peoples work, this texture isn't good enough or this model sucks, or this is broken. People create this mods out of interest, and yes they have taken time to bring everyone who plays new content.

"If anything, it should be a goal for addon creators to achieve something worth the praise offered, or something to ignore. If I made something and it didn't end up on this list, you know what my response would be? To go and look at feedback and improve until it was worth being on a list of other fully featured, fully realized addons" This is exactly my point, I and I'm sure others don't make mods to suit what another person wants, they do it to achieve a goal they have set for themselves.

Edited by Yoshi

People who propose projects should have the skills to contribute meaningfully to those projects.

so you, someone who has little to no experience regarding modding in general, would want to staple a discriminatory tag (and eventually a jpg seal) on other's people work that has been shared with you for free, based on a number of subjective criteria, is that right?

well, good luck with that. Of course no one can stop you making your own list of addons or anything, but i doubt you'll find the support you're looking for, especially within the addon makers such as myself.

@lone.wolf: BI should have no saying in this, especially if you consider the state of their own content, if not for other reasons. BI will have a say when it comes to MANW contest

Couldn't have said it better myself, Pufu.

Hello Everyone,

I would first like to start out by saying thanks for all your feedback and I have taken this into consideration. If I have offended anyone by creating this project I sincerely am sorry. I am merely trying to put together a list of mods that display both function and looks. I am not trying to in any way shape or form use this as "my opinion" I plan on having the community help decide which addons are worthy of being HQAP approved. This is not a one man effort here. A lot of you mention about this seal I talked about...I did not mean a physical picture or seal which would be added to the addon, it is merely stating that the community and those who helped agree that the addon is HQAP approved thinks the addon is very well made. Also for those of you who say that I am "someone with low modding skills ( with null contributions as far as I know )" you would be right, but just because I cannot develop my own addons doesn't mean I have zero input. I would also like to address the fact of performance. It might just be me, but I have used a fairly highly detailed set of civilian vehicles mods before in ArmA 2, I placed each vehicle roughly 1 meter away from each other along the entire road from Chernogorsk to Solnichniy and drove along the road with zero performance hit, I do realize this would probably change in MP but in SP it did fine. I am going to start the list of HQAP approval awaiting addons and I would like you guys the community to agree or disagree if these addons would meet everyone standards of HQ. Again I did not mean for this to become such a heated topic, I am merely trying to help out the community. I meant for this to be a community effort to create a list of HQ mods with functionality that other addons could go to this topic and see why these addons are knows as HQ and possibly try to get thier mods up to par with the ones listed within the HQAP. Again if I offended anyone or hurt anyone I would like to apologize. Please let me know what you think.

Actually, you're completely and totally wrong here. If you do not have the ability to contribute in a meaningful way to an addonmakers work, then you have no, i say again, *no* input on the addon/mod/mission at all, whatsoever, in any way shape or form, unless the addonmaker or mod team specifically seeks your input. (Bug reports are separate from this, obviously). Please, for the love of Kobol, pull your frakking head out of your godsdamned posterior orifice before it gets stuck up there.

Drongo stated the obvious here guys. The "new community" needs to pay attention.

People who propose projects should have the skills to contribute meaningfully to those projects.

This is the second, maybe third, or even the fourth, time that an "idea guy" has suggested some BS "quality control" for addons. It's been squashed by this community for the last 7, if not the last 13, years. It's not going to happen. Pack up and head back to your bean stash in Cherno, please.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Sorry Drongo,Darkhorse and..and....but i 'll have to disagree in specific areas.

As i already posted (in the first few posts) i m not approving the idea of OP for my reasons (probably totally explained in bad English -as always-)

So..iMo..even if someone doesn't know how to make an addon that doesn't take his measure of quality on others work.

(still stands for cinema/music/theater etc)

This guy has been as gentle and careful on his approach of the subject..so his rights or his measure of quality can't be denied from him (primarily because nobody here is a filthy barbarian or a fascist pig i believe).

I still disagree with the general concept of his guy..but the fact he doesn't know "how to dig" doesn't means he has no opinion..

Edited by GiorgyGR

I can't believe this thread. It's like the OP just instated himself as head of the quality control department of A3 mods with no major experience :p

Sorry but this is a joke so voted no:rolleyes:

I actually will be starting to do ArmA mod reviews on my youtube channel starting by going over every single mod on armaholics ArmA 2 section then moving on to the ArmA 3 section.

I feel like you're trying really hard to turn this place into the black pit of despair that is the Minecraft modding community. Why?

Edited by roshnak

I dont think this idea will ever gain widespread acceptance, especially not from the modding community. Its like an unspoken rule that people dont criticise each others work. Ive been far more involved with design communities than the modding one (which I am new at), who generally operate on the same principal. Unless someone specifically asks for critique, then critique should not be given.

This culture of quiet respect may not be understood by people who do not create visual content, regardless of the application. I personally think the mutual respect is built on the understanding of how emotionally attached people can become to something they have slaved over, and that no one has the right to publicly tear someone down just so they can voice their opinion.

I also find it distasteful that someone with no experience in mod making would put forward an idea like this. They are unable to go into great depth and technical detail when discussing mods, and I personally think they dont fully understand the community they are trying to interact with. They are just an observer looking in and making judgements on things they dont fully understand.

I also think that an idea like this will stop new people getting into modding. People can say things like "They should toughen up" all they want, but whether someone is emotionally resilient has NOTHING to do with their abilities or potential to create awesome content in the future.

I feel that anyone who thinks that arguing about why it should be accepted is misguided in thinking their posts will change anything (but why not try, eh?).

Instead of trying to force "higher quality mods" to be produced, heres a novel idea, how about trying to produce a "high quality mod" yourself. I dont say this to be snarky, but your end goal is to have "higher quality" mods in the community. You can achieve this by creating that content yourself.

If the main point of this project is basically judging the quality of addons, please explain this:

I would also like to put together a team of modelers, scripters, and generally anyone who can help out with the HQAP.

This makes it sound like another "I'm an ideas guy, now I need someone to make the mods I want" thread.

If the aim of the project is nothing more than some kind of quality control, it would make sense for organizer to be someone who has contributed to the community and has an understanding of at least some of the technical aspects of addon making.

This is my point exactly, and why would you need modders and scripters if all your doing if asking for people to better their own mods, it sounds like you intend to change them by your own accord, but that isn't something any modder in this community would allow. I agree with TheAussieButcher, this is a culture and community based on that level of respect for each other, putting this sort of thing in motion would break a very well put together community.

wrong. It will only slap the wrist of the new comers. Again, if you don't want A2 stuff that has been ported, just don't fucking use it.

Secondly, everyone able and willing to create custom high quality assets will do it without some nobody saying what is high quality and what isn't.

go ahead and make those addons. no one is stopping you. There is no one butthurt but yourself.

You can do that without having someone sticking a fucking jpg seal.

i'll hold my comments, because your mother will really get upset...

What you seem not to be able to grasp (that is ok, i will try and explain it again), is that addon makers have no revenue off their products. So your comparison stands no ground. When someone will charge you money for addons, yes, ask for your money worth. Most of todays addon makers are hobbists, not professionals (with a few exceptions of course).

1. to go back to the thing you mentioned above regarding film/books/game/food etc critics. All of those have some experience they are basing their reviews on. What fucking background do you, or the OP have in judging any sort of material? The fact that played some games around?

There is a fucking difference between having something appreciated, and shitted on. You can choose to give feedback, or simply ignore a thing you received for free.

Again, addons are NOT made for you, the consumer. They are made firstly for the addon creator own joy and happines If he chooses to create lego bricks gnomes that fire farts from their nostrils, who are you(or anyone else) to say if it is or not a quality addon, no matter of some criteria. Get that through your head.

We aren't talking about a dumb poem you were up all night writing for your high school sweetheart that turns out kind of goofy but at least the intention and effort has value. What an addon intends to achieve or how it was achieved is not important to the consumer, and if you want to create content you should learn that lesson quickly.

I, as an addon creator, couldn't give less of a fuck about someone like you, or what you might want to get for free.

I have my commercial projects (in the vfx/cgi and gaming industry), and i have my hobby (arma). One does not include the other.

Especially if you intend to ever do content creation outside of passion projects just for fun.

where did you get this idea from? The vast do create content just for fun.

Sorry Drongo,Darkhorse and..and....but i 'll have to disagree in specific areas.

As i already posted (in the first few posts) i m not approving the idea of OP for my reasons (probably totally explained in bad English -as always-)

So..iMo..even if someone doesn't know how to make an addon that doesn't take his measure of quality on others work.

(still stands for cinema/music/theater etc)

This guy has been as gentle and careful on his approach of the subject..so his rights or his measure of quality can't be denied from him (primarily because nobody here is a filthy barbarian or a fascist pig i believe).

I still disagree with the general concept of his guy..but the fact he doesn't know "how to dig" doesn't means he has no opinion..

I do not agree with you here. As with cinematography or food or whatever else, one needs to have, at least the basic notions of the development process. Same goes for art etc. To give you an example, i have seen numerous people requesting features for 3rd party content that are simply impossible within the RV engine. And that is ok. But then again, while each is entitled to an opinion and can freely express it (see desura/moddb/steam etc vote system), a enclave of people (a minority) cannot judge for the majority.

I have nothing against a system where a majority puts down a mark based on their opinion. See metacritic, imdb, rotten tomatoes etc. But then again, we all know how objective some of the IGN/gamespy etc game reviews have been (the minority).

Edited by PuFu

@OP: Good idea.

Mind, some very cross language in this thread appears pretty unwarranted.

Wow this topic have really hurt-en some feelings...i like much more A2 uniform model, don't really like this futuristic uniform (Crye uniform with a little exaggeration cause crye uniform don't look like this "Mean nato uniforms") , they could do a little work when doing it ? sure, it is really necessary this little more work? no but if someone is wiling to do it it's nice

Pufu and Drongo for president!

A3 caused a pandemia of "idea guys" with no background from previous BiS product...And sadly the average poster in this forum before arma 3 was at least +25 years old with a minimum of military knowledge,now is far more common a 16 yrs old kid with a lot of expericence in call of duty and battlefield

A3 caused a pandemia of "idea guys" with no background from previous BiS product...And sadly the average poster in this forum before arma 3 was at least +25 years old with a minimum of military knowledge,now is far more common a 16 yrs old kid with a lot of expericence in call of duty and battlefield

If there was a like button for you're comment i would certainly press it

Amen. To be honest, this thread's giving me a tumor from the sheer stupidity. My project with my team, we do it for fun, period. It's starting to feel like they are trying to start a "beautiful people's club" or something, lol. If you don't like some of the addons being released, then just don't download it! We should be a supportive community who helps each other, not sit on some sort of high horse and judge what passes some BS "grade" while knocking down the rest. The best thing to do is roll this idea up, eat it, pass it and flush it down where it belongs. Because if this is where we are headed--needing some sort of self-righteous virtual counsel of snobs to e-label what's good and what's not--I'd rather not even bother doing anything and releasing to the community ever. Until we all start getting paid to make content for ArmA, we don't need some kids with "ideas" to tell us "Yeah, you pass...welcome to the elite club!" or "No, this is rubbish....go back and do it again the right way!".