Sign in to follow this  

(Not entirely sure if this is the correct thread, sorry if it's not)

I can't help but feel that developers offering a prize draw for voting for their campaign is a little under-handed. I am nowhere near being able to financially support a vote-encouraging give-away like some submissions have been offering (one fellow is offering a copy of DayZ SA as well as Razer hardware, and all future DLC for Arma 3) - if someone is in a better position financially, they will have an advantage that has no relation to the quality of the submission. Does BI plan to address this?

I think a vote should be a vote for the quality of the submission, and nothing more.

I'd imagine some brilliant Youtuber goes and creates an Arma 3 Mission. Slaps on a video to reach hundreds of thousands and them WHAM. WIN!

Developers should decide through quality so that it's not a vote fest by people who go for what ever. Seems rather dull and silly for 500'000 in prices to allow that to happen ._. May, or may not happen.

I'd imagine some brilliant Youtuber goes and creates an Arma 3 Mission. Slaps on a video to reach hundreds of thousands and them WHAM. WIN!

Developers should decide through quality so that it's not a vote fest by people who go for what ever. Seems rather dull and silly for 500'000 in prices to allow that to happen ._. May, or may not happen.

To be fair, though, voters/supporters can't decide which missions are going to win. For the SP missions, they only get to choose the final 20. They can only support everything else which that doesn't affect the outcome in any way, it's just a motivation for the mod/mission author.

(Not entirely sure if this is the correct thread, sorry if it's not)

I can't help but feel that developers offering a prize draw for voting for their campaign is a little under-handed. I am nowhere near being able to financially support a vote-encouraging give-away like some submissions have been offering (one fellow is offering a copy of DayZ SA as well as Razer hardware, and all future DLC for Arma 3) - if someone is in a better position financially, they will have an advantage that has no relation to the quality of the submission. Does BI plan to address this?

I think a vote should be a vote for the quality of the submission, and nothing more.

It seems that this unfortunately is an effect of BIS' decision, how to run the competition.

However one question remains for me:

Do the 20 projects with the MOST votes enter the show?

Edited by Undeceived

It seems that this unfortunately is an effect of BIS' decision, how to run the competition.

However one question remains for me:

Do the 20 projects with the MOST votes enter the show?

Yes.

5chars

In my opinion the voting system for the singleplayer category sure is not the best, stated in various posts before me.

I would also appreciate to either only the BIS team to judge all the entries or at least close the voting (not the supporting!) until early September maybe.

Furthermore, if you want to use the "Community Votes" to have impact on the election process then maybe let them decide between two entries that have been equally ranked/judged by BIS team.

Edited by LeoB

Hi all - in regards to competitions for promotional purposes. I'm a little worried I may have sparked something here. First off, I posted this some weeks ago: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?176693-Promotional-Material. I didn't get any replies - but I thought it'd be a nice idea to generate some interest. It's a prize draw, where you can win a calendar, mug, or mouse mat if you support / vote / subscribe or send an email, explaining why you don't want to do any of those three things ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/ArmA-3-Resist/387925164679293?fref=ts / http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=251730131 / https://twitter.com/ArmA3Resist ) - so, it's open to everyone, whether they like the campaign or loathe it. In my opinion, I feel this comes under the banner of promotion - but I am very much aware that there's a thin line. Not a single person has entered (evidently no-one wants the selection of stationary!) and if anything, it's generated mixed feelings. Not good. And I sympathise with Doln. I'm a minimum wager, part-time worker - financial standing should not be an advantage. Sadly though, if you had the money, you could pay for promotion and advertise on Facebook, etc., etc. So, a level of that is unavoidable. Nonetheless, I care about the community more than winning. Let us know how you feel! I can always scrap the competition. Cheers,

I think paying for votes is really shady but you can't prevent it at the moment. I've entered the contest just for fun but considering that the first prize is 50000€ respectively 200000€ - that's more than most people earn in a year (prior taxes). This could actually be a profitable business for some. Might be "motivation" enough to "buy" votes.

Buying votes will only get you into the top ones I guess. If I understand it correct after reading some posts around here. The actual winner is decided by the BI team? But the "Rounds of 16" or winner selection is won through Supporters/Votes?

Just remember that some of the worst things possible are done with the best of intentions, and that people will support you fi they can get things.

I'm sure you mean well but it's bound to stir things up. Doesn't matter in the end as BI decides but still it would show better sportsmanship in not bribing to get ahead..wether you mean it to be that way or not, that is how it will come across.

why not block voting for anyone except forum users registered before the contest was announced?

Hello, and thank you for the valuable input! Of course we are aware of the possibility of vote rigging, and we are working on a technical solution which would hopefully prevent it. Please cross your fingers!

The reason why we want to have finalists in one category selected by the community is that we want everyone (and not just contestants) to have chance to add their bit to this community event, we regard this as part of fun. :)

Of course, the selection of finalists by us vs. community would differ a lot, but we trust you! :) We hope you guys will give your "likes", "points" or "votes" (or whatever we will settle for) to the quality missions and campaigns - the community has IMHO seen enough to be able to judge this. It is obvious that missions entering the contest earlier will have chance to get more votes, but we honestly could not think of anything feasible which would counter this. I can imagine us keeping few wild-cards for the SPM entries we would like, but that would obviously require change in the rules (which is something I don't wish to do too often).

Locking the votes for anyone who wasn't registered on the forum before day x doesn't make it any better. It's worse, in fact.

Locking the votes for anyone who wasn't registered on the forum before day x doesn't make it any better. It's worse, in fact.

how so?

Best option to leave only one opportunity to vote - Steam account (verify ownership of Arma 3)

Best option to leave only one opportunity to vote - Steam account (verify ownership of Arma 3)

That one is a very good idea, by the way. Steam provides a great set of APIs for that cause & this will counter many types of cheating.

how so?

Don't mix up votes with support. They're two different things in terms of this contest.

Votes = required for entry into the final judging. (Can only be done with Steam account that has A3).

Support = required for BI sponsored promotions. (Can be done with Steam account, BI profile or fb account(?)).

Don't mix up votes with support. They're two different things in terms of this contest.

Votes = required for entry into the final judging. (Can only be done with Steam account that has A3).

Support = required for BI sponsored promotions. (Can be done with Steam account, BI profile or fb account(?)).

thanks, I agree that steam account would be much better than forum registration - i was confused, my apologies

Sign in to follow this