Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

See, I told you the modding community will be active

No. I reported him because that is flamebait. It's the typical name-calling asking-for-flames type of post that actually incites all the fighting, and it doesn't prove anything.

Discussion is not the problem. But this isn't discussion, it's flaming. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even I, but if you can't tell it without insulting, don't be surprised if you get a report.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

Calling people that take issue with certain aspects of the game is not "whining", and these people aren't "whiners". I wish everybody would grow up and behave like adults.

And before the usual "this isn't the game for you" type of reply comes up again, I released three mods, a couple of missions, and a number of tools for this game. How many have you?

Or you could counter my statement with your own opinion. My statement is true. With every game there will always be people that can't enjoy the game and will spend their time filling the forums with negative threads comments. Often these people are the most vocal on forums causing the mood/tone of the forum to be negative.

As as for being an adult about things, Most adults try to resolve their issues without letting a mild comment get under their skin.

Or we just report every person we disagree with.

>The Modding Community has been busy as bees posting some wonderful stuff

Such as?

There are extremely few mods that have anything worthwhile to add.

It's still short of "stuff". Only 1 episode of the campaign has been released, still no jets for BLUFOR and OPFOR, recycled assets from Arma 2 yet again, they've implemented a totally broken body armour system. A product should stand on its own. It's not the community's job to fix it and I don't appreciate having to browse through all the possible mods for the few good ones that don't break the balance or cause scripting conflicts to eke out a bit more game time from Arma.

What a sycophant.

Who said it's the community's job to fix anything? I see a tendency on behalf of some people to go into a game (any game) with their own expectations and when those expectations are not meet, they automatically assume the entity of the standing community and start making claims on their behalf. That being said, I don't claim A3 is my dream game. One of my personal gripes with it was that it did not ship with an improved medical system, however I did not see this as BI dumping the game on our doorstep and asking us to take care of it. Until BI reaches the same levels of manpower as Ubisoft or EA (this especially goes for their programing dept.), I will gladly see any updates they bring to the game post release as a plus instead of dismissing them because they were not in the game the first time around. I have plenty of other things to worry about and adding "vilifying a game a game developer with limited man power because they did not add features to a game that I voluntarily chose to buy" to the list wont to wanders for my nerves.

Now the standing question is. Does choosing to view the glass half full make a person a sycophant?

>The Modding Community has been busy as bees posting some wonderful stuff

Such as?

There are extremely few mods that have anything worthwhile to add.

People are different and assign different value levels to things. The work done by the modding community, no matter how small or seemingly irrelevant to some, will always find its "customer base".

P.S.

I don't want to start 2014 by handing out warnings, so if your heels are burning for a debate at least do it with facts and leave the subtle personal attacks for private off forum discussions.

Thank you and Happy New Year :)

Edited by Maio

I don't want to start 2014 by handing out warnings, so if your heels are burning for a debate at least do it with facts and leave the subtle personal attacks for private off forum discussions.

Are all mods this passive aggressive?

Yeah rehtus777 you got that right, Arma series is one of the last who let the community create contents in every catégories. COD do that until DLC's come out maybe they're afraid of the creativity of their own community and want's money, Arma can bring DLC while the community create mods etc ... because Arma is build for that since OFP ...

Or you could counter my statement with your own opinion. My statement is true. With every game there will always be people that can't enjoy the game and will spend their time filling the forums with negative threads comments. Often these people are the most vocal on forums causing the mood/tone of the forum to be negative.

Complete bollocks, I believe most people who can't enjoy a game don't give a toss about joining it's forum, it's people who like the game that do, I'm completely guessing here, usually threads become negative when trolls come in name calling and adding nothing of any substance to the subject... Probably we all do it from time to time, hard to justify it though.

Who said it's the community's job to fix anything?

Um, the OP? Did you not read it? It was the whole jumping off point for this thread:

Back in the Summer of 2013, all the naysayers were saying that ArmA 3 was "Dead"..... it was "Impotent" .... short of "Stuff" (vehicles).

I said, "Nope, vanilla is 'vanilla' and the community will run with it." Boy, I'll tell ya..... my modem has been on fire as of late. The Modding Community has been busy as bees posting some wonderful stuff and making the ArmA series second to none.....AGAIN!

Um, the OP? Did you not read it? It was the whole jumping off point for this thread:

Yes I did. He was praising the work done by the community and how it enhaces the base game and making it stand out even further, not stating that the conmunity is doing BI's job.

Yes I did. He was praising the work done by the community and how it enhaces the base game and making it stand out even further, not stating that the conmunity is doing BI's job.

Well since his whole "I told you so" is pretty much invalidated if you subtract the communities work, I would say that the community has pretty much picked up the slack for BI. I mean it's not like he said "See I told you so!" about anything BI actually did, it was pretty much all community work related. You wanna argue the semantics of his post be my guest if you're that petty. The base line of reasoning is simply that the community did the work, not BI, which I'm pretty sure constitutes the community doing BI's job. The base content is sorely lacking plain and simple, again if you want to argue it be my guest. We've gotten a couple weapons, a few bug fixes and a portion of a campaign as a DLC over the course of 3-4 months. I'm sorry but it's not the most staggering progress to be honest.

Well since his whole "I told you so" is pretty much invalidated if you subtract the communities work, I would say that the community has pretty much picked up the slack for BI. I mean it's not like he said "See I told you so!" about anything BI actually did, it was pretty much all community work related. You wanna argue the semantics of his post be my guest if you're that petty. The base line of reasoning is simply that the community did the work, not BI, which I'm pretty sure constitutes the community doing BI's job. The base content is sorely lacking plain and simple, again if you want to argue it be my guest. We've gotten a couple weapons, a few bug fixes and a portion of a campaign as a DLC over the course of 3-4 months. I'm sorry but it's not the most staggering progress to be honest.

To quote rehtus777

This game will just keep on improving on two fronts: 1) BIS is going to keep on polishing the game; 2) The Modding Community is going to keep on bringing us special stuff.

I think the above summarizes the idea of the thread pretty well.

What I saw in the first posts is a community member who was and still is optimistic and enthusiastic about A3's future. Then what I saw with some the following posts was members turning a positively themed thread on its head by impaling an active mod community is the result of a lack of game features from the developers.

I have nothing against users expressing their negative views on the game (in a polite manner), I just don't like it when positive viewpoints get hijacked to fuel negative ones.

Everyone’s enthusiastic about BI staying with the series, we have to be, there is no alternative. That said if there was an alternative game made in a very similar way to this series in the future, I think a lot of the so called ‘community’ would show their heals and leave.

BI is fully aware, they have this end of the market, more or less to themselves at the moment, that’s why players are willing them along, just to keep this ‘type of game’ alive, not necessarily this series.

The title to the thread is a misinterpretation of what’s really going on, and that’s other people doing BI’s job of getting the series to some sort of launch standard, which it still isn’t.

Grow up and open your eyes to what they launched and delivered, against what was said over the past couple of years regards what was going to be delivered in A3… Even at the start of the money taking process, they were still leading along the idea the game would be 'as advertised' all those months/years prior, well it isn’t.

I wonder how active the modding community is compared to Arma 2 at the same time.

I wonder how active the modding community is compared to Arma 2 at the same time.

Comparing Arma3 to arma2 at the same time? I would say for sure it's lowered.

Just consider the Bis decision to use Steam: because of that, some modders will not share their work.

There are a lot of talented modders in Arma3 but, as far as I have seen, I have the impression that even in the future there'll be less mod in Arma3 compared to arma2.

Which is sad since i consider Arma3 far better than Arma2 (except for content :j: )

Everyone’s enthusiastic about BI staying with the series, we have to be, there is no alternative. That said if there was an alternative game made in a very similar way to this series in the future, I think a lot of the so called ‘community’ would show their heals and leave.

DCS Combined Arms anyone? It's of course missing all the nice infantry stuff, but military-simulation-wise it's quite good, I think. Many Arma players wish to have some features of DCS in the vehicles, planes and choppers, which is off BI's course and furthermore the engine can't handle it.

Make a pisitive thread about arma 3, espect pessimists assault within seconds. Thats how bi forums do look currently. It's simply sad.

More guides, mlods, sample configs and information for modding and we might get moving a lot faster and don't forget the new tools too.

the mod community is active only for as long as their interest can be sustained. there is an adage, don't celebrate too soon. hopefully bis can uphold their end and meet the mod community half way. one of those things is releasing content(check), releasing tools(check), but also making sure the game itself is satisfying enough for people to stay. this is something on which bis routinely misses the mark. simple things like bipod and weapon resting, simple optimizations, more fluid animations features that have been asked since arma 1, but have sadly been delivered at a wip level in this game. if they can't finish their work on these fast enough, people aren't going to be around when they do become complete.

To quote rehtus777

I think the above summarizes the idea of the thread pretty well.

What I saw in the first posts is a community member who was and still is optimistic and enthusiastic about A3's future. Then what I saw with some the following posts was members turning a positively themed thread on its head by impaling an active mod community is the result of a lack of game features from the developers.

I have nothing against users expressing their negative views on the game (in a polite manner), I just don't like it when positive viewpoints get hijacked to fuel negative ones.

Nobody is impaling an active modding community in fact it's quite the exact opposite, we're freaking ecstatic we have this community because otherwise this game would probably be shelved or in a dumpster without a second thought and most of the core squads would probably be looking at ArmA 2 for another 4-6 years. The fact is though that using the modding community as some sort of example of how BI has "Prevailed" or "Succeeded" with ArmA 3 is sad beyond words because it has nothing to do with BI's effort and everything to do with the communities and I for one think it's a slap in the face to the community every time someone say's "Hey look guys ArmA 3 is awesome, look at all these mods, Thanks BI!!!!!!. Way to go!!!". It's the epitome of ignorance and disrespect to me and it was practically the point of this thread except for what one point about BI polishing the game which is really not happening considering everything that has persisted from Alpha/Beta and everything that has been dropped coupled with delays and shortcomings.

I like how the title needed to be changed to show the true meaning behind the thread as well. Really amplifies my point and diminishes yours quite nicely.

Nobody is impaling an active modding community in fact it's quite the exact opposite, we're freaking ecstatic we have this community because otherwise this game would probably be shelved or in a dumpster without a second thought and most of the core squads would probably be looking at ArmA 2 for another 4-6 years. The fact is though that using the modding community as some sort of example of how BI has "Prevailed" or "Succeeded" with ArmA 3 is sad beyond words because it has nothing to do with BI's effort and everything to do with the communities and I for one think it's a slap in the face to the community every time someone say's "Hey look guys ArmA 3 is awesome, look at all these mods, Thanks BI!!!!!!. Way to go!!!". It's the epitome of ignorance and disrespect to me and it was practically the point of this thread except for what one point about BI polishing the game which is really not happening considering everything that has persisted from Alpha/Beta and everything that has been dropped coupled with delays and shortcomings.

I like how the title needed to be changed to show the true meaning behind the thread as well. Really amplifies my point and diminishes yours quite nicely.

another one, who vent not so well in to a new year? There are tons of pessimistic threads, you come here and shit down the thread. You have way to high ego, and do sound like anybody owes you anything here.

I think that the biggest issue was over-promising and over-marketing of the game prior to the release. The game then delivered a lot less than expected for both long standing and new players. I bought ArmA III all the way back in Alpha stage, and i though to myself "Awesome, so this release will finally not be a fiasco, as there will be a LOT of time to get the game fine tuned"... But actually, release turned out even worse than ArmA2.

ArmA2 was buggy, but complete game... campaign and half of the promised content was simply NOT missing at the release date. ArmA 3 is both buggy, and missing content. The Alpha and beta testing was probably good at identifying issues, but not actually solving them, so the most pressing issues are still remaining in the game after release. I understand that some are very difficult to resolve, like multiplayer performing so bad it is on the edge of playable. (I remember seeing some official BIS stream of developers playing with players, and developer had an FPS counter displayed which was showing around 15-25 FPS. That is unplayable even in single player case, let alone multiplayer. And it was server ran by devs themselves)

But even very simple to resolve bugs are simply staying there being ignored, like red dot sight reticles being blurred by rotational motion blur.

So they should have either postponed the release until bugs are actually fixed, not just identified. Or release it quietly, without all the hype around it. Now, sure it is a platform for content, but it still is a broken platform, so no wonder no one is building the house on the base of cracked concrete that is falling apart. Unfortunately now it does not have that "still in alpha/beta" sticker on it, so it is a lot more prone to losing it's playerbase forever. People do not usually leave to return later and check if the game is already done after the actual release has already happened.

Now you can see clearly that the ArmA 3 modding did not get as hot as BIS has expected, when they actually need to offer modders big bags of money just to motivate them. To me, this actually seems as a great step, and something very interesting will surely come out of it, but even if it's the best mod on the world, it will still remain mediocre if the platform is broken.

Edited by rawalanche

Well put. Look at any game. If theres no mods (good mods) in the first 6 months, that game is pretty much dead in the water.

People move on. Look at COD/BF-series for example. There might not be any mods (I don't play those so no clue) but the devs release DLCs in a constant timeframe. Content content content.

Arma has always lived on its mods. And partly on the released DLCs.

One last tidbit: DON'T GET IN THE COPILOT SEAT!

How long has that bug been in the game? I know it was in in beta, I didn't play alpha enough to notice.

"Hey look guys ArmA 3 is awesome, look at all these mods, Thanks BI!!!!!!. Way to go!!!". It's the epitome of ignorance and disrespect to me and it was practically the point of this thread except for what one point about BI polishing the game which is really not happening considering everything that has persisted from Alpha/Beta and everything that has been dropped coupled with delays and shortcomings.

This is the ironic of the situation. Instead of thanking the modders, people just leave them out in the dust. Why not "THANKS MODDERS!! Way to go!!" That's their work that was contributed into some polishing.

Nevertheless, the modding community will be active and there's no need for some "See I told you so" thread. Everyone saw it coming. Could it have been better? A lot better.

you seem went in to the new year, not so well, man?

As for you, you're one of those guys who scares off modders...

Instead of a "See I told you so" thread, how about actually contributing... even a small portion.

DCS Combined Arms anyone? It's of course missing all the nice infantry stuff, but military-simulation-wise it's quite good, I think. Many Arma players wish to have some features of DCS in the vehicles, planes and choppers, which is off BI's course and furthermore the engine can't handle it.

The engine was designed specifically to "Handle It". VBS 3 does exactly what you are talking about in the RV engine. I wont defend Arma 3 or BIS or even participate in this useless "I told you so debate" but I will point out that you said something extremely ignorant.

As for you, you're one of those guys who scares off modders...

wat? Hows it is even related to me? Also not so well in to new year?

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

The engine was designed specifically to "Handle It". VBS 3 does exactly what you are talking about in the RV engine. I wont defend Arma 3 or BIS or even participate in this useless "I told you so debate" but I will point out that you said something extremely ignorant.

it's me or does he compare a simulator with military sandbox shooter?