Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

ArmA 2 C-130J and MV-22 Redux

walking in vehicles has been the "unicorn" feature since the ofp days. It isn't impossible, in fact I have a working example with some pretty serious limits. It does give you an animated soldier that can walk with collision detection (geometry and other soldiers) around a vehicle, including elevation changes like stairs or ladders. This version doesn't really need 3d modelling and doesn't require any modification to an existing model. The limit: no guns, aiming or freelook. Another version would require extensive modification to a model, not visually or geometrically though, more to do with proxies and animations. This version, using the new A3 IK stuff might produce an aimable, shootable weapon as well as freelook, with a much cleaner script flow. There are about 4-5 scenarios that I can think of to get some sort of walking in vehicle action. From what I've seen its MP use would be possible (maybe too early to say), but I would cringe at the thought of 40 people jumping off the back of a moving C-130 haha. For now though I'll just release these birds without any craziness.

You may be happy to know that your "unicorn" feature has come to Arma 3! :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170227-AttachToWithMovement-Walkable-Vehicle-Interriors-and-Exterirors

I can already imagine operations with devgru and their growlers being inserted by these babies!

More good news: the AI can use these very well now. They seem to have no more trouble flying it than anything else. I completed the coloring templates for it today and modified the materials quite a bit, fixed the windows, fixed some texture and geometry errors. I've been flying it for two days and it is officially my favorite aircraft to fly... its easier to land than a chopper because it isn't twitchy, it can reach 300+mph easily and on the ground you are able to taxi unlike a helicopter.

This mod looks amazing can't wait to see in ingame, how well does the AI use them? For example can the AI land the MV-22?

Yeah they slow down, tilt the rotors back, drop the flaps and land vertically. I was worried that some of the vtol code had been removed but it seems to be working just fine.

This is very good news Sakura_Chan ! Well done mate - looking forward to release.

Hi, looks like very needed addons, i hope that they be stand alone; with Euro-Camo they'll look great. Let's C ya

That Osprey is absolutely gorgeous!!! Why the hell can't BIS do something like this?? honestly. Anyway, rant off....I do like A3 even unfinished as it is so I'll shut it :)

I like to spend a lot of my time ferrying troops on the battlefield however our current a/c have certain limitations. I'm hoping the Osprey in A3 has this:

Capacity: 24 troops (seated), 32 troops (floor loaded) - from wikipedia

The number of times I've had to leave players stranded in the middle of nowhere because there wasn't enough room.

Haha we have all done that long wait for the chopper to return. I will increase the capacity, i think it is at 24 by default.

So where can I download this? :D

They look amazing BTW, truly great job!

Btw, there was an issue with the original Osprey.

When in auto-hover, if you hit the brakes the thing would basically stop flying and fall to the ground, also happened to me when using AiA.

Can't wait for a release! :cc:

So where can I download this? :D

They look amazing BTW, truly great job!

Btw, there was an issue with the original Osprey.

When in auto-hover, if you hit the brakes the thing would basically stop flying and fall to the ground, also happened to me when using AiA.

Can't wait for a release! :cc:

thats because you spooled down basicly lowering your altitude

Hi, do you gonna add it the green tinted glasses on top of the cockpit or you gonna leave it with the default glass colour?, i don't know why BIS never do those top glasses green on the choppers or on the MV-22B in this case, just as they're in reality; like this:

DSC_1533%20CV-22B%20165839%20right%20front%20cockpit%20l.jpg

I think that will be an improvement. Let's C ya

I've been working on this between holidays with family and work, so far I've gotten the seating animations set up, and the units now use the back cargo ramp. All this lighting stuff is possible, but right now I am working on the cargo seating, increasing it to about 34 troops including the loadmaster. 12 units per side on seats, 8 sitting down between them (this would be very tight and uncomfortable IRL), one between the first cargo seat and the bulkhead, one loadmaster on the ramp, a pilot and co-pilot comes to 36 capacity, and there really isn't any extra space. The inside of the Osprey is equivalent to a school bus being about 2 meters wide. I still have to sort the issue of two guys holding hands and another couple are cheek to cheek lol. One thing I was going to do is remove the upper door hatch, I've seen them fly in that configuration. However, if you have the rear ramp down wouldn't that blow a ton of wind in the cabin? I'm also working on the sounds, got some decent samples from youtube.

I've been working on this between holidays with family and work, so far I've gotten the seating animations set up, and the units now use the back cargo ramp. All this lighting stuff is possible, but right now I am working on the cargo seating, increasing it to about 34 troops including the loadmaster. 12 units per side on seats, 8 sitting down between them (this would be very tight and uncomfortable IRL), one between the first cargo seat and the bulkhead, one loadmaster on the ramp, a pilot and co-pilot comes to 36 capacity, and there really isn't any extra space. The inside of the Osprey is equivalent to a school bus being about 2 meters wide. I still have to sort the issue of two guys holding hands and another couple are cheek to cheek lol. One thing I was going to do is remove the upper door hatch, I've seen them fly in that configuration. However, if you have the rear ramp down wouldn't that blow a ton of wind in the cabin? I'm also working on the sounds, got some decent samples from youtube.

Sounds awesome! Can't wait.

Hi, i wouldn't had go for the 34 passengers version, i would have go for the 24 passengers version and would have put a couple of ammo and special weapons crates on the middle of the cargo area; if there isn't something that 24 well armed Marines can deal with... then only God can. 24 passengers will be enough IMO as the MV-22B gonna be used for combat missions in game and the 36 passengers version is just for deployments from base to base, not really for combat missions; allow it to transport a couple of quads, artillery shells crates that you'll pull of by the ramp or something like that will be more useful (and hard to do) IMO, but better for combat and support missions; maybe a Med-Evac version would be viable too... . Keep us informed man. Let's C ya

I kind of agree with wipman. Although I guess the 34 configuration is optional, so we can put cargo there instead of soldiers?

i know this may be impossible, but how about collision lights on the propeller blades, that way they have the blue circle on the propellers at night

ex.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2630/4214187593_43b9bd40ca.jpg

Yea! But aren't they green not blue?

---------- Post added at 03:40 ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 ----------

The 34 troops capacity is for transit between bases away from the battle and cannot support fully loaded and armed soldiers. The 24 units are far better and more realistic. If you do have a a way for 34 soldiers, they should have to be unarmed without their gear.

"Oh no! We can carry too many players in our aircraft!", said no one ever. Everyone needs to remember that there must be a focus on useability when making an addon. Restricting cargo loads only sounds good on paper, in actual usage it is much better to have it carry as many as can graphically fit in there. The benifit is that servers/mission makers can CHOOSE whether to use the full capacity or restrict it by filling the extra seats through scripting.

"Oh no! We can carry too many players in our aircraft!", said no one ever. Everyone needs to remember that there must be a focus on useability when making an addon. Restricting cargo loads only sounds good on paper, in actual usage it is much better to have it carry as many as can graphically fit in there. The benifit is that servers/mission makers can CHOOSE whether to use the full capacity or restrict it by filling the extra seats through scripting.

Would it be possible to have a version that is set to 24 by default of those that are not the best at scripting and I don't think you can restrict individual seats with scripting? There's no usability problems unless you have only a single pilot and in which case can't you go back and pick the rest up?

It also sounds good on paper to carry as much as possible until you have it crash or get shot down, then you wish you have spread things across more than one aircraft. :)

Edited by ProGamer

Would it be possible to have a version that is set to 24 by default of those that are not the best at scripting and I don't think you can restrict individual seats with scripting?

It also sounds good on paper to carry as much as possible until you have it crash or get shot down, then you wish you have spread things across more than one aircraft. :)

or you could just not use all 32 seats????

and yes you can

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/lockCargo

there is a demand for transport a/c with a greater number of seats than currently available. There's nothing worse than flying to pickup a squad only to leave a handful there stranded. Plus, especially on domination type modes, you'd want to airlift a whole platoon if you can because its certainly better to attack large enemy positions as a platoon rather than a squad of 5 or 10....sheer weight of numbers.

Exactly.

Better to have the capability and remove it if you want to in missions, because it can't be done the other way around. If you don't want to allow the use of all 34 available cargo spots, move ten game logics into the cargo and you're set. Want to carry 34 troops, but the addon is limited to 24? You're stuck.