solzenicyn

Soldier protection (dev branch)

Well i noticed the problem when firing point blank on a standing rifleman, with no fancy animation involved.

What i saw happening is handleDamage not firing on many evident hits.

Other than that i can only speculate.

EDIT:

did a quick test on 1.11.1115793 dev build.

So far i've not been able to reproduce the issue anymore.

Thanks for the info, buddy.

I want to say, it is so sudden from being hit to recovering the original animation that it makes everything unnatural and looks uncomfortablely.

Since it is a game, that means the bullet won't distroy the target's limbs and arms, nor take out any piece of meat from the target, then PLZ make it more like a game, please make the animation transition more smooth.

Edited by msy

I think a seperate animation between a shot being deflected/absorbed and a shot penetrating would be ideal.

when a bullet hits a person, it would be cool to see them get knocked down, then get back up like they took a hit, be funny if they flew back a bit instead of just standing there. also it would be nice if a bullet his the side of a helmet or something there would be the sound of a ricochet or clanging metal. :D

when a bullet hits a person, it would be cool to see them get knocked down, then get back up like they took a hit, be funny if they flew back a bit instead of just standing there. also it would be nice if a bullet his the side of a helmet or something there would be the sound of a ricochet or clanging metal. :D

I think this might answer the second part of your question.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24339

bring back the old damage system, 1-2 hits to the body = death, hate having to unload a full mag into someone just to wound them

bring back the old damage system, 1-2 hits to the body = death, hate having to unload a full mag into someone just to wound them

Or bring us a magzine repack function!

Play against civilians then... or create a no bodyarmor server.

:rolleyes: welcome to the 20th century where there is bodyarmor.

Play against civilians then... or create a no bodyarmor server.

:rolleyes: welcome to the 20th century where there is bodyarmor.

So in 20th century when AI is hit they just get a hit and can keep shooting you with the same accuracy?

The body armor is not the problem! It´s actually pretty cool. The Problem is how the AI reacts to beeing hit and that body armor parts cover whole body sections (a vest covers the whole torso, a helmet the whole head etc.)

...where faces are protected by helmets that only should protect the head?

... where humans flinch the same way on every hit and show no more sign of being hit thereafter

...where physX make humans bob like apples on water when hit.

I see the real problem is bullets are simply not strong enough and damage is not realistic. If you want to take half a mag and keep going right now this is the game for you, damage is like a mainstream fps.

I see the whole "half mag" thing mentioned quite often, but I fine that 2-5 shots with the rifleman's MX drops most enemies. I personally like the fact that body armour has a purpose now. We know full well that in reality a soldier can take multiple shots to the places their armour protects and escape bruised but alive- hell that's why it's there! Demanding it protects less than it does in modern war seems rather anti-immersion and more for the 'hardcore' gamers who like high lethality situations.

In practice, as mentioned a few posts ago, the problem is how players and AI react; that is, in my opnion, the real issue here, not how effective the body armour is. . A simple knockdown, or a more advanced context-sensitie stagger/fall (depending on whether the character was stationary/moving/sprinting) would be perfect. Such a feature would be great rolled into a more complex wounding/reaction/medical system... :rolleyes:

The body armor is not the problem! It´s actually pretty cool. The Problem is how the AI reacts to beeing hit and that body armor parts cover whole body sections (a vest covers the whole torso, a helmet the whole head etc.)

Agree completely.

+1

I think the reaction of the AI while been shot is problematic. It should not just shake a second and able to shoot back like nothing happen.

I would like to see that AI falls down after been hit and need to stand up or something similar.

But shooting back in that precision is very unlucky.

Edited by Muecke

I would like to see that AI falls down after been hit and need to stand up or something similar.

Well maybe not fall down (propably not really realistic in most cases), but at least have severe accuracy penalty/ sudden move of aiming direction, magnitude depending on bullet force, and having to reaquire the target with penalty to "reaquiring time" (time it takes to align the shot). If round penetrated / wounded the penalty should be bigger then if the bullet was stopped.

Maybe some randomness for adrenaline accounting but not too much.

Yeah bring back the suppression effect already. In Arma 2 if you shot an AI his rate of fire and accuracy would decrease dramatically, as would happen to anyone if they just got shot.

We know full well that in reality a soldier can take multiple shots to the places their armour protects and escape bruised but alive- hell that's why it's there!

CBA is there to hold your insides inside you when you get hit and is more geared toward shrapnel damage that rounds, newer CBA's are much better with larger plate areas than ones 10 years ago but still most people who get shot don't get shot straight on the armor plates at that perfect angle, either way 99% of people that do survive are disorientated and not combat effective ie the game is unrealistic at present.

Also one other factor is the head area, it needs a major revamp and i believe the hit boxes and penetration of weapons does in general.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Yeah bring back the suppression effect already. In Arma 2 if you shot an AI his rate of fire and accuracy would decrease dramatically, as would happen to anyone if they just got shot.

+1

Also it has a major bearing on PvP which is where it is at right now especially as use of AI uses lots of performance.

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Well maybe not fall down (propably not really realistic in most cases)

Where did you get these idea form that when being shot its not realistic to go down.

somtimes a rpg or titan - on rpg is the strongest . eat the hits ! you can give a full magzine with 7,63 in it and no results

+1

I think the reaction of the AI while been shot is problematic. It should not just shake a second and able to shoot back like nothing happen.

But shooting back in that precision is very unlucky.

+1

been saying this for ages too, there needs to be animations blending into and out of ragdoll. Personally I was so hyped for ragdoll in arma3 but the implementation is disappointing.

Frankly, any sort of reaction to damage, bullets or explosions, AI or players needs to be more dramatic. The situation in multiplayer is laughable: two players run into each other and start unloading with no visible effect until one (or sometimes both) of them collapses. What makes things even worse is that with this system, first shot on target does not necessarily mean anything if the other guy has a bigger a rifle, though that's straying somewhat off topic because the recoil modelling is also to blame.

Frankly, any sort of reaction to damage, bullets or explosions, AI or players needs to be more dramatic. The situation in multiplayer is laughable: two players run into each other and start unloading with no visible effect until one (or sometimes both) of them collapses. What makes things even worse is that with this system, first shot on target does not necessarily mean anything if the other guy has a bigger a rifle, though that's straying somewhat off topic because the recoil modelling is also to blame.

I agree, a hit should at least throw the aim off target.