.kju

Community Upgrade Project

lool, so chinese are not the only ones who do rip offs, but there is someone also doing a rip off from a rip off? ;)

I don't think you understand.

Having one giant mod means you have to redownload that giant file for EVERY UPDATE.

For those of us who have bad internet and dislike using crapupdater, having small, modular mods is superior to giant 1 gig files.

well, look at ACE. It has ACE, ACE_RU, ACE_US, ACE_SM etc, why it can't be done the same way in community upgrade project? For exmple: CPR_RU;CPR_US;CPR_SM; Or expand it even more: CPR_RU_Veh;CPR_RU_Weap;CPR_US_Veh;CPR_US_Weap etc. I'm sure kju and all parcipians know it better then we/i do, but that way at least we don't have to redownload whole package for update, but rather one of them. The more different split folder or pbos it would be, the less we would have to download after each update imo.

Having one giant mod means you have to redownload that giant file for EVERY UPDATE.

Not if its on PwS - then you just d/load the changed files :cool:

Not if its on PwS - then you just d/load the changed files :cool:

yep, theres is nearly no better alternative to SiX :)

For those of us who have bad internet and dislike using crapupdater, having small, modular mods is superior to giant 1 gig files.

It means that you might as well have 600 different mods. The reason projects like these are interesting is because you can have one larger mod adding a lot of stuff. Now if in Vanilla A3 you could just click any server on the browser and it would get you the mods you needed and no restart then I'd agree with you, but right now I'd rather have complete packs. Now with Play With Six it does pretty much work that way, but you kind of want EVERYONE to use mods like this (And not everyone uses PwS). That's why the original idea of a Free DLC was so good. At least you'd have a whole lot more content in vanilla A3 then.

I would prefer to have one single mod for the sake of simplicity when playing online and playing offline.

So I don't have to constantly change the combinations of small mods used when playing on another server. With a single mod, I do not have to change the addons loaded and unloaded around for each server.

I would prefer to have one single mod for the sake of simplicity when playing online and playing offline.

So I don't have to constantly change the combinations of small mods used when playing on another server. With a single mod, I do not have to change the addons loaded and unloaded around for each server.

It means that you might as well have 600 different mods. The reason projects like these are interesting is because you can have one larger mod adding a lot of stuff. Now if in Vanilla A3 you could just click any server on the browser and it would get you the mods you needed and no restart then I'd agree with you, but right now I'd rather have complete packs. Now with Play With Six it does pretty much work that way, but you kind of want EVERYONE to use mods like this (And not everyone uses PwS). That's why the original idea of a Free DLC was so good. At least you'd have a whole lot more content in vanilla A3 then.

What about having one mod with a bunch of modular parts (as in you need all files for the mod to work yet it's still one mod)? Because my mods are like that. They're a bunch of different files. I currently release them as one package, but if possible I can release them as separate packages. That way, you still have only one large mod. Problem with that is when you're got different people making different parts of this CUP, you're not going to have one mod that includes inter-dependent parts. You're just looking at one download package with different mods. Regardless, whether they are all inter-dependent or whether they are all packaged together or not, you're still going to run into the issue of people picking and choosing which parts they want and which parts they don't want. You cannot avoid that issue. There are going to be servers that don't run the mod(s) you run. That's just something you've got to get used to. There are servers that will have these mods in addition to other mods. Get used to it. Are you going to ask a server that's running any mod that's apart of this CUP + some other mod(s) to only run the mods you're running? Doubt it.

The practical thing to do is to have separate mods with a similar prefix or something. For those without PWS (and given the modular nature of this mod, where several modders are porting different items), having separate parts is a necessity. That way, ports can be released as they are finished. If not, then you're looking at a pretty hefty download size.

I'm watching this project since you opened the thread and wonder how work is going. I've seen you set up the repositories, but are there already other ppl working?

Speaking for myself I would say that a package of the finished ports would be nice. Maybe individual downloads for each item AND a package with all stuff along would not generate much additional work either. :)

I'd really like to contribute something to this great project but available time and necessary skills say no. :(

anyone who loses sense why we need such project, imagine it as free DLC/Addon, where the quality of models textures could be identlical, unlike having tons of different m16 ak packs, with different quality. I do really dislike personally, when for example a mission makers, adds various addons to his mission, where some are really nice on quality and others just ruin the whole fun, because of poor quality.

I'm watching this project since you opened the thread and wonder how work is going. I've seen you set up the repositories, but are there already other ppl working?

Yes

there

are

people working ;)

kju: I'm collating data on the Arma 2 armored vehicles & weapons (and trying to come up with workarounds to the armor penetration flaws - see potential solution here). Supposedly at some update in the Arma 2 cycle, penetration materials were added to the vehicles delineating the armor thicknesses. (This was replaced with actual armor geometry in Arma 3). Have you seen these materials? I've been checking through the files in the Arma 1-2 data dump from BIS but I cannot find anything but plain old textures.

Obviously, the armor models (Fire Geometry LOD) have to be created from scratch to be up to the A3 standard, but it would inform my investigations if I knew what BIS thought the armor levels were.

Based on my workaround (Sakura-Chan gets credit here too), I'd consider standardizing the "caliber" penetration value for weapons: 1 "caliber" = 1cm RHAe penetration at point blank range*. BIS' values are all over the map because of their flawed damage formula. (No offense is meant here, but you simply can't defend a damage formula that results in 30mm autocannon rounds blowing up tanks from the front, not on realism grounds anyway). So, IMO, there is ultimately no choice but to adjust them...

I don't know if the C.U.P. as a whole wants to endorse this, or whether everyone prefers not to touch configs. For my part, I'm in the planning stages of a larger Pact vs. NATO mod (correct weapons, vehicles, squad composition, etc.) and would rather integrate the relevant components with CUP, but that's up to the collective... :notworthy: Regardless, I plan on sharing all the source values in the interest of community progress.

* update: BIS just said they calibrated on 12mm at 50m, so pretty darned close

------UPDATE-------

Scratch my suggestion. The "caliber" value is much more complex than that and cannot be simply standardized but must instead be derived with a formula. I'm working on this for my "Real Armor Mod" and will share the formulas when I can derive something meaningful. The one thing that is constant is the need to model Fire Geometry based on RHAe values (and angles) that are true to real world data.

Edited by Olds

ok after reading a few posts, im confused...

is this a single mod with people working together to create it?

is it multiple addons?

clarification would be awesome :)

ok after reading a few posts, im confused...

is this a single mod with people working together to create it?

is it multiple addons?

clarification would be awesome :)

Everyone who is capable of contributing work is welcome.

I ported some static objects over from ArmA 2 to ArmA 3 for my own mod. I kept the code and the A2 files separate and I'll donate the first stuff after the next GLT mod release :)

Is there a list somewhere of what content is already being worked on or already done, so that several people don't later find out they were both working on the same vehicle, etc.?

I can only speak for myself, but I'll stick to the A2 static objects and object compositions. I've tried to port A2 vehicles and I failed :p However if someone requires a texture, I might be helpful.

Is there a list somewhere of what content is already being worked on or already done, so that several people don't later find out they were both working on the same vehicle, etc.?

See the dev heaven link in the OP

Just found out about this project. With it I would be able to quickly ready my A2 islands up to A3 standards & assets. Then slowly upgrade them with new stuff.

Kju, please contact me how can I assist with the project reaching release asap.

I've been porting the Scar for what seems like an eternity. Took me a while to learn the in's and outs of the Arma system. Should I post that here once it's done considering?

I've been porting the Scar for what seems like an eternity. Took me a while to learn the in's and outs of the Arma system. Should I post that here once it's done considering?

Have you thought about joining the project?

so once it IS done is it 1 download? still confused...

so the file is actually called community upgrade project?

or is it lots of little downloads

It's a project for the mod developers to share their work and configurations. Each will release their own mods as usual, but pool the effort and work in making them to help each other, as I understand it.

Well, once the project is big enough, I really hope there will be some kind of distribution cooperation between the modders. It wouldn't be nice for everyone to download 100 separate packages.