wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Okay, had a bigger test session today.
Beside me thinking that CQB and Military Placement does not work on Chernarus if set to strategic (but this could be wrong on my side) we had huge problems with the combat support! 

The Artillery did not work at all. I told them to shot on a building and the Artillery tells me it is firing and even tells me it fired and splash but NOTHING happens. (They don't move at all) (happens when aiming inside the Green Circle as well as outside). This worked pretty fine in the editor but not on a dedicated server. 

The other thing is the CAS Helicopter as well as the transport helis circling around an AO. They fly up to the area, but don't fire. I tried it with Loiter (Circle on the transport chopper with Fire at Will)  as well as SAD. In both cases no heli gun was shot. Attack Run still needs to be tested!

The last thing happens with Transport helicopter. We called a helicopter to pick us up at the base. He came, landed and waited for my instructions. After a hug with a tree (xD) he flew us to the AO. We were two in the back. My comrade disembarked and the transport heli was flying back up in the air....with me still inside of it -,-. The problem is: He is not waiting till either everybody left the vehicle or the leader gives him a new order!

That's all I have so far. 
If I find more I'm gonna report it. 

Many Greetings
Moony

Okay, had a bigger test session today.

Beside me thinking that CQB and Military Placement does not work on Chernarus if set to strategic (but this could be wrong on my side) we had huge problems with the combat support! 

The Artillery did not work at all. I told them to shot on a building and the Artillery tells me it is firing and even tells me it fired and splash but NOTHING happens. (They don't move at all) (happens when aiming inside the Green Circle as well as outside). This worked pretty fine in the editor but not on a dedicated server. 

The other thing is the CAS Helicopter as well as the transport helis circling around an AO. They fly up to the area, but don't fire. I tried it with Loiter (Circle on the transport chopper with Fire at Will)  as well as SAD. In both cases no heli gun was shot. Attack Run still needs to be tested!

The last thing happens with Transport helicopter. We called a helicopter to pick us up at the base. He came, landed and waited for my instructions. After a hug with a tree (xD) he flew us to the AO. We were two in the back. My comrade disembarked and the transport heli was flying back up in the air....with me still inside of it -,-. The problem is: He is not waiting till either everybody left the vehicle or the leader gives him a new order!

That's all I have so far. 

If I find more I'm gonna report it. 

Many Greetings

Moony

Are you using a headless client? There are issues with combat support alongside headless client atm. Should be addressed in next release.

@Moon_chilD

Chernarus is very problematic for CQB modules due lack of walkable houses

you need to decrease the objective filters settings of the Military/Civilian Placement modules

and increase the density filter of the CQB modules, in my tests strategic CQB did work better than civilian

there is also the problem that the units will stack up in the entrances of the few walkable houses that Chernarus has

and this is not very atmospheric for a mission

concerning the Artillery the last time I used it worked flawless,

maybe you called a target too far away and they need first to move in position

this can take time

concerning the CAS Helicopters, you need to assign targets for them with the laserdesignator or they won't attack

by the way same counts for CAS Planes !

concerning the Transport Helicopters, it is very important that the person who called the transport leaves as latest the chopper

or the situation happens as you described, if it happens there is a simple solution order him to land :P

but remark this needs also to be done by the person that called the transport !

all what I explained you here, you could also find in the ALiVE wiki .... reading educates !!! :D

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

most of what you listed are user errors and not a ALiVE error

Are you using a headless client? There are issues with combat support alongside headless client atm. Should be addressed in next release.

Ah that might be the problem here. I infact use three headless clients (Werthles' Headless Module). So I guess there is no workaround other than not using HC?

@Moon_chilD

Chernarus is very problematic for CQB modules due lack of walkable houses

you need to decrease the objective filters settings of the Military/Civilian Placement modules

and increase the density filter of the CQB modules, in my tests strategic CQB did work better than civilian

there is also the problem that the units will stack up in the entrances of the few walkable houses that Chernarus has

and this is not very atmospheric for a mission

concerning the Artillery the last time I used it worked flawless,

maybe you called a target too far away and they need first to move in position

this can take time

concerning the CAS Helicopters, you need to assign targets for them with the laserdesignator or they won't attack

by the way same counts for CAS Planes !

concerning the Transport Helicopters, it is very important that the person who called the transport leaves as latest the chopper

or the situation happens as you described, if it happens there is a simple solution order him to land :P

but remark this needs also to be done by the person that called the transport !

all what I explained you here, you could also find in the ALiVE wiki .... reading educates !!! :D

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

most of what you listed are user errors and not a ALiVE error

I like that you point out that reading educates because not only did I spend hours reading through the Alive Wiki while optimizing my mission but also it seems you did not read my post. ;P

About Chernarus I already mentioned that this could be my fault. However I thank you for the explanation why this is so. I already thought that the amount of walk able houses is the problem, that's why I set the modules up with no filter. I'll try it with raising the density (somehow I did not thought of that... duh!). I can live with that right now since most of my enemies are spawned via MCC anyway!

About the Artillery, as I mentioned, I tried as well as in and also outside the green circle around the Artillery. Also the Artillery did not tell me, that the fire mission is out off reach. As I stated it, the tell me they fired even though they don't. This might be caused do to Headless Clients as spyderblack723 told me! 

What you said about CAS appears to be bull crap (sorry). I'm going to quote the Alive Wiki:

CAS Options

• SAD units on Search & Destroy (SAD) will freely engage any enemy units they detect. They will also engage any laser spot target with missiles and laser guided bombs if they have them equipped.
  • Loiter units will hold position and engage as per the selected Rules of Engagement.

As you can see the wiki says that helicopter engage freely on detected units on SAD and loiter (depending on the ROE . I already said that I told the helis fire at will).

And last but not least the transport helicopter. If you'd read my post you'd seen that I called the transport helicopter and gave him orders and that he acted weird after my comrade left the chopper with me still in the chopper. Anyway, one thing I did not mentioned: I in fact ordered the helicopter to land!

I know from testing month ago that the same thing mentioned by me happens with the insertion (via rope). The first guy goes out and the heli immediately raises altitude leaving the person fastrope falling to the ground! 

I'll not say that these problem might not be caused due to my lack of editing skills (still, while I'd not call me a pro editor here I certainly know what I do...mostly!)

I'm very sorry this post might sound ungrateful, harsch and that I sound like a huge pain in the a... but I seriously can't take it if somebody tells me "You could have read that so easily!" when I've done it and when the person telling me that did not read my post it makes me even more mad. 

Sorry for that anyway. (Don't want a huge shit storm breaking out. I'm don't easily bear a grudge! ^^)

At the end it looks like that most of my errors are caused by the Headless Clients, so I might just need to wait for the next Alive release (hope its soon ;3)

Ah that might be the problem here. I infact use three headless clients (Werthles' Headless Module). So I guess there is no workaround other than not using HC?

At the moment, not really. It should be fixed in next release along with the ability to exclude any specified unit from being transferred to an HC.

I do not use headless clients and you did not mention use of it in your post

may all hick ups are caused by this circumstance

also you did nowhere mention you consulted wiki, it was a shoot into the dark from my side

so sorry about that and don't take my post too personal

about CAS, may forests or many houses or something else did obscure his sights to clearly identify targets,

in my tests and playing around with this feature it did help use of a laserdesignator, even you called to pass over and free to engage

may this could be also problem use of a headless client

I do use ALiVE a lot and very rarely encounter any problem with it

I do not use headless clients and you did not mention use of it in your post

may all hick ups are caused by this circumstance

also you did nowhere mention you consulted wiki, it was a shoot into the dark from my side

so sorry about that and don't take my post too personal

about CAS, may forests or many houses or something else did obscure his sights to clearly identify targets,

in my tests and playing around with this feature it did help use of a laserdesignator, even you called to pass over and free to engage

may this could be also problem use of a headless client

I do use ALiVE a lot and very rarely encounter any problem with it

Never said I either mentioned that I use HC nor that I mentioned that I used the wiki. 

The point was that what you said was just some assumption...which is fine but with your "reading educates !!!" you kind blew it and made it fact! I don't like being made more stupid than I'm xD

The problem was, the enemies where like right on the north western airfield...literally on the runway! 

So I don't see what should have blurred his vision. 

Anyway...as I said. I'm pretty sure that this might be caused by the HCs.

Also as I said, I do not easily bear a grudge. While I was kinda mad about your post (again, just the tiny addition at the end you made. Telling anybody to read first before posting and then not doing it yourself is kinda counterproductive) which lead to my - okay a bit harsch - answer I'm totally cool now to talk as civilized people again! xD

(Its just that one so often sees people blabber something out (I don't mean you with this) without thinking for one second...giving false information leading to even more confusion. ^^ Every now and then somebody has to hit the nail on the head.)

I'm not saying what you said is one hundred percent false, but on my case it does not really fit! :3

Lets stay an awesome community!

Many Greetings

Moony

Hugs all around!!   :wub:

With regards to CAS I find it more reliable to use the LaserDesignator on a target rather than relying on the AI to figure it out on their own.

• Like 1

Hugs all around!!   :wub:

With regards to CAS I find it more reliable to use the LaserDesignator on a target rather than relying on the AI to figure it out on their own.

Is there a way to make CAS attack a position without them seeing any enemies?

I need them to drop bombs/gun run on a position regardless of what's there. Ie blind fire.

I use attack run and they don't fire. Am I doing something wrong or is the modded heli/plane the issue?

Ps I can't use laser designator as we are in Vietnam :)

Most likely bad AI is the problem - if you can't use a designator I'm not sure you can force the AI to fire at a spot where there are no enemies (at least not without scripting).  Try the same with vanilla units to rule out if it's a mod issue.

At the moment, not really. It should be fixed in next release along with the ability to exclude any specified unit from being transferred to an HC.

You know, i thought about this and workaround, and was messing with Werthles HC mod.  It offers an exclude feature, but syncing the actual modules to it did not help.  Is there a way that maybe i am doing it wrong and this could be an option?

Also i know ETA's are normally never given or accurate, but if there is an ETA estimate, can we know when to maybe expect it?

**************EDIT

Maybe i can place the unit down and use the following INIT which will then work with Werthles?:

this setvariable ["cas_type","B_Heli_Attack_01_F"]; this setvariable ["cas_callsign","EAGLE ONE"];

Will give it a shot and report back!

Hi,

Sorry but after some extensive searching i havent found anything to go on.

I am wondering if there is a "simple" way of making alive use smaller group sizes.

I play with a rather small group of people, and alive keeps tossing in squad groups of ai with like 10+ soldiers.

I usually go and put in groups myself and sync them to the system, but it usually ends up being larger groups later on as the logistics system reinforces.

Can this be done in some smart way? to limit squad sizes to maybe 4-5 man.

Thank you

did you try set the force weighting of the military placement and civilian placement module to platoon (60) ?

this should spawn less and smaller groups

you can then also reduce the AI amount setting to solo of the military CQB modules

this should also spawn lesser units

Hi,

Sorry but after some extensive searching i havent found anything to go on.

I am wondering if there is a "simple" way of making alive use smaller group sizes.

I play with a rather small group of people, and alive keeps tossing in squad groups of ai with like 10+ soldiers.

I usually go and put in groups myself and sync them to the system, but it usually ends up being larger groups later on as the logistics system reinforces.

Can this be done in some smart way? to limit squad sizes to maybe 4-5 man.

Thank you

It's entirely dependent on the the group configs set by whatever mod you are using. Nothing that you can do about that with ALiVE directly, it just spawns whatever is available.

Edit: 5 million views on this thread :o

did you try set the force weighting of the military placement and civilian placement module to platoon (60) ?

this should spawn less and smaller groups

you can then also reduce the AI amount setting to solo of the military CQB modules

this should also spawn lesser units

Yes i have tried this but setting these to 60 or 30 it puts out LESS groups but not smaller.

still huge squads, i want them to put out many squads but smaller ones.

It's entirely dependent on the the group configs set by whatever mod you are using. Nothing that you can do about that with ALiVE directly, it just spawns whatever is available.

Edit: 5 million views on this thread  :o

Ok i was afraid that was the case, thank you for your reply!

Also i know ETA's are normally never given or accurate, but if there is an ETA estimate, can we know when to maybe expect it?

So... an ETA on the ETA?   :P

They are just finishing up work on a few bugs before releasing version 1.0.  Expect something to drop shortly after the Xmas holidays.  

You didn't hear that from me  :ph34r:

• Like 3

"Expect something to drop shortly after the Xmas holidays." - SavageCDN, 2015

I'll spread the word. XD
Good to hear! Looking forward to v1.0

• Like 2

Nope...the word has been spread. Its fixed. (Take your time guys ^^)

I can say that 'cause I have nothing to do with the actual development  :cancan:

Is it just me, or does "Enable Ghosting" seem to have no effect? Used to work (as of a couple of months ago or so). Running with ACE. Tried with vanilla units and modded units. Same result. 

Is it just me, or does "Enable Ghosting" seem to have no effect? Used to work (as of a couple of months ago or so). Running with ACE. Tried with vanilla units and modded units. Same result. 

Seems to be a result of the 1.54 update. Not sure whether related to an incompatibility with another mod or just a bug with hideObject

It should work while on a server (or it did the last time I checked. Not sure if I've tested this since 1.54). But you are correct, in the Editor (SP) for whatever reason ghosting is not allowed for me either.

Spyder sent me a something that I have copied in the debug console for exactly this purpose. I can get it to you later when I get home if you want.

I have no idea what exactly causes the problem, I just know ghosting doesn't work for me either in the Editor (SP).

• Like 1