wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

For sure, I'll let you know what I find once its done. Also it looks like CUP Terrains released an update today so maybe they fixed it or something? Want to give that a try and I'll give AiA a try?

No problem. I need them to push through the Workshop update though. Last I checked they only had the mirrors updated. Workshop still said "last update Dec 25."

I downloaded the CUP terrains for my ALiVE missions with the thought of deleting my AiA and A3MP but the CUP terrains gave me massive error issues.

As far as using Reshmaan - i have great performance with loads of enemy AI populating the entire map. I guess most if not all ALiVE supported maps work well depending on how you profile ALiVE funtionality. Maps with lots of CQB buildings will need to be managed well with the CQB % numbers.

Use Blacklist TAOR markers to 'Blackout', areas that are going to be unused or restrict combat areas to slightly smaller TAOR areas. Be careful not to over do it with custom mil placement objectives, IED values, Roadlocks and Random Camps.

All the bells and whistles of ALiVE can be tempting but performance is always the trade off.

• Like 1

I downloaded the CUP terrains for my ALiVE missions with the thought of deleting my AiA and A3MP but the CUP terrains gave me massive error issues.

As far as using Reshmaan - i have great performance with loads of enemy AI populating the entire map. I guess most if not all ALiVE supported maps work well depending on how you profile ALiVE funtionality. Maps with lots of CQB buildings will need to be managed well with the CQB % numbers.

Use Blacklist TAOR markers to 'Blackout', areas that are going to be unused or restrict combat areas to slightly smaller TAOR areas. Be careful not to over do it with custom mil placement objectives, IED values, Roadlocks and Random Camps.

All the bells and whistles of ALiVE can be tempting but performance is always the trade off.

Can you run Reshmaan with the CUP Terrain pack without crashes? 

Can you run Reshmaan with the CUP Terrain pack without crashes?

I think he's saying he's not using CUP at all because of crashes (or at least error spam).

What I'll do is run my mission on my server once CUP updates the Steam link. If I crash I'll get the rpt and logs posted here. Heck, I may even post the one had from last night anyway if I think of it (or maybe you can too?).

If they don't update I may either try AiA or just test my CLAfghan mission with CUP instead.

Either way I'll test Reshmaan on CUP. I just need their hotfix first.

Please do not upload ALiVE to the Steam workshop (and especially without our permission). We have good reason for not hosting our IP on there at this time.

• Like 4

Thanks savage! What other maps are you getting good performance on? I was playing Kunduz yesterday, I was hosting and something weird happened (it was only myself and two friends on the server) and my frames jsut tanked (Was getting ~60 FPS with dips into 40 fps regularly) and then it would just randomly tank to 0 FPS.

From the supported maps list I would say these have the 'best' performance (I have not tried all supported maps):

Capraia*

Caribou Frontier*

Chernarus

Fata*

Hazarkot

Koplic*

Quom

Reshmaan*

Takistan

Thirsk

Utes

*my favs

• Like 2

dear ALiVE Developers,

Have a question,

how do you think about to finally release some parts of the strict mission license of "Insurgency | ALiVE" ?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178846-insurgency-alive-official-release/

This mission is soon one year old and does nothing than collect dust, also nearly nobody does play it in it's actual state.

Really sad this situation for a such great mission with a big potential inside.

I did some heavy edits and some corrections to this mission and would like release it for public use, but not under this strict license !

(this part specially: -- TERM.A - You must NOT re-release the mission to the BIS forums or any other distribution platform.)

certainly I will if allowed for a free release on any distribution platform respect all credits !

I did try to contact "hazey" the author of mission, but he does not answer me. :(

kind regards and hoping for a positive answer

maquez [Q-Net]

• Like 1

From the supported maps list I would say these have the 'best' performance (I have not tried all maps):

Capraia*

Caribou Frontier*

Chernarus

Fata*

Hazarkot

Koplic*

Quom

Reshmaan*

Takistan

Thirsk

Utes

*my favs

I was just thinking about FATA! It's pretty though kind of desolate. What kind of mission works well on that map? Do you think it has enough civ and mil objects to work well as an Assymetrical Insurgency or would it likely need some C2ISTAR tasking and custom objectives to keep things interesting? Or would conventional work better?

It's a strange map! I'm finding the same is true with CLAfghan (not enough objects). Though with a little generated tasking, CLAfghan is freaking brilliant! I had an amazing time last night chasing generated tasks and interrogated tasks at the same time. They were both on the same block and it was brilliant!

dear ALiVE Developers,

Have a question,

how do you think about to finally release some parts of the strict mission license of "Insurgency | ALiVE" ?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178846-insurgency-alive-official-release/

This mission is soon one year old and does nothing than collect dust, also nearly nobody does play it in it's actual state.

Really sad this situation for a such great mission with a big potential inside.

I did some heavy edits and some corrections to this mission and would like release it for public use, but not under this strict license !

(this part specially: -- TERM.A - You must NOT re-release the mission to the BIS forums or any other distribution platform.)

certainly I will if allowed for a free release on any distribution platform respect all credits !

I did try to contact "hazey" the author of mission, but he does not answer me. :(

kind regards and hoping for a positive answer

maquez [Q-Net]

Hi Maquez - I'll try and ping Hazey to see what his thoughts are... he probably doesn't have the time to maintain the mission anymore so let's hope he's OK with opening it up to others for official edits.

I was just thinking about FATA! It's pretty though kind of desolate. What kind of mission works well on that map? Do you think it has enough civ and mil objects to work well as an Assymetrical Insurgency or would it likely need some C2ISTAR tasking and custom objectives to keep things interesting? Or would conventional work better?

It's a strange map! I'm finding the same is true with CLAfghan (not enough objects). Though with a little generated tasking, CLAfghan is freaking brilliant! I had an amazing time last night chasing generated tasks and interrogated tasks at the same time. They were both on the same block and it was brilliant!

There aren't a lot of objectives on Fata (compared to say Altis) and they are somewhat concentrated in the centre/north-centre but that is due to the locations of the villages IIRC.  That being said I can see this map working well for asym.  In Arma 2 we played a lot of Insurgency / MSO style missions on Fata.

• Like 2

I don't know if it was you Spyder, or ALiVE, or a combination of both; but I had an amazing time last night with a new objective I've never seen and I play ALiVE a bunch!

After interrogating a civilian, I was given Intel on a person of interest. They said something to the effect of, "You should definitely worry about so and so."

I was like, that's cool! Never seen that before!

I interrogate another civ and he said something to the effect of, "So and so (the same guy!) is dangerous and I last saw him here! I'll mark it on your map."

So I was like, oh hell yeah! Let's kill this guy!

I make my way to his house, nervous as hell because it's HUGE a three story complex on CLAfghan. Decorated with bloody beds and weapons. My heart was racing! Inside I see another civ which made me jump. So I interrogated the guy and he said, "So and so (the same freaking guy!) has a house here. I'll mark it on your map."

And I was like, oh goodness this is sweet. So I got in our armed vehicle and made my way to his house. My AI teammates blew the entire place to shreds as I spec op'd my way in to light up his weapons caches. Then his buddies surrounded his complex and we got into an intense firefight!

I've never had a mission with "leads" or "clues" like this. It was so over the top amazing that I just wanted to personally thank you. For the first time ever I felt like a spec ops team chasing down terrorist leads. Seriously, if you can find a way to make more "investigative" missions like this in your mod, that would be great. I love following the clues like that.

Thanks so much Spyder and ALiVE team! :)

Just wanted to cross post this from Spyder's thread to thank who ever the hell made this possible. :)

• Like 3

hi all,

thought it would be not a bad idea to share some experiences I gained during development of my missions.

Virtual AI System:

Spawn Radius - "1000"					can have impact on performance do not exaggerate
Spawn heli radius - "800"				can have impact on performance do not exaggerate (set for plane to "0")
Active Limiter - "15"   			        too high settings have a huge negative impact on performance (for maps like altis set this to "15" for other maps do not exceed "25")

Military Placement (Mil./Civ.):

Objective Type Filter - "Ignore small objectives"       can have impact on performance, depends very on map structure, begin with "Ignore small objectives" and test with debugger adjust if needed
Objective Size Filter -	"Do not filter"			can have impact on performance, depends very on map structure, begin with "Do not filter" and test with debugger adjust if needed
Force Size - "800"            				too high settings have a huge negative impact on performance do not exceed setting over "800"

Military Close Quarter Battles (Strategic/Civilian):

CQB locations -	"Complete map"				can have impact on performance for maps like altis set this to "Towns only" 			
Density - "off" 					too high settings have a huge negative impact on performance leave this whenever possible "off" too high settings increases mission load time
AI Amount - "pair"					can have impact on performance consider to leave it on "pair"
Spawn Ground - "1000"					can have impact on performance do not exaggerate (set for heli and plane to "0")

Civilian Placement:

Objective Size Filter -	"Ignore small objectives"	can have impact on performance, depends very on map structure, begin with "Ignore small objectives" and test with debugger adjust if needed
Objective Priority Filter - "Do not filter"		can have impact on performance, depends very on map structure, begin with "Do not filter" and test with debugger adjust if needed
Placement Level - "low" 				can have impact on performance, low settings recommended			

Civilian Population:

Spawn Radius - "600"    				can have impact on performance do not exaggerate (set for heli "600", plane to "0")
Active Limiter - "15"   				too high settings have a huge negative impact on performance (for maps like altis set this to "15" for other maps do not exceed "25")

some additional notes:

be careful what you set in the Military Close Quarter Battles (Strategic/Civilian) modules, these units will spawn always regardless what you set in the limiter.

my experience with this module, it has the most significant negative impact on performance if you use exaggerated settings.

hope this will help others :D

kind regards

maquez [Q-Net]

• Like 3

Thanks Maquez.

What's your opinion on Assymetrical Insurgency missions? What I mean is, lately I've been playing missions where the OPFOR recruits its forces from the civilian population.

When I set these up, my basic template goes like this with no additional units manually placed on the map. Sometimes I place units depending on the map, but generally, I only use ALiVE modules.

Virtual AI module: Active Limiter 30 to 50

OPFOR:

Military obj Platoon Size 30

Civilian obj Platoon Size 30

Custom obj 1 Infantry 1 motorized

Sometimes more Custom obj

BLUFOR

Military obj Platoon Size 30

Civilian obj Platoon Size 60

Custom obj 2-4 Mororized or 2-4 Infantry

Sometimes more custom obj

Civilian Population Extreme

The template you posted seems catered more towards conventional all out war with large initial company sizes. How would you set up an insurgency that's supposed to start out kind of slow?

EDIT: Could you make a guide like the other one you posted with Assymetric in mind?

basically the same as in above posted guide.

be careful with civilian population settings... "extreme" can have huge impact on performance

the setting you need to take care most of are the both "active limiter's", do not set them over "25" regardless of map !

ALiVE needs patience :rolleyes:, lot of testing and excessive use of the ALiVE debbugers

little advice you should set the units size at minimum "100", your set 30 and 60 is way too low

but these depends naturally on what you like to do with mission, try "100" and "200" and watch with debugger of module what happens on map

• Like 2

What's you opinion on manually placing units? Or do you generallly just let the modules do all the work?

EDIT: Oh and I see you never set force size over 800. Interesting. I just kind of assumed the reserved units wouldn't actually hurt performance at all. But goes to show you what I know. I think I have mine set to 20,000. LOL! I wanted kind of a never ending or really long lasting mission.

Good to know! :)

the size of the unit you set in military placement is linked somehow with the limiter

so if you set low units you can try to increase the limiter, the higher you set them the lower you should set the limiter

if you set several military placement's you should keep the units on low settings, same for the limiter

all ALiVE settings do depend very on map structure and how the map is built, each map needs different settings

on smaller maps you can usually increase settings on larger map you should decrease

the experience I got during excessive different map tests, do not set limiter over 25 or performance will go terrible low

feel free to download my Cold War missions and unpack them, the altis version and it's ALiVE settings are a good example for missions on a terrible map

for endless battle's it is the wrong way to increase the size of units in military placement, you do that with the Military Logistic module

increase the number of reinforcements available for AI Commander, you can even set it to infinite so the battle never ends 

• Like 2

I had my terminology wrong above. I think I have the endless battle settings set correctly. But best of all, even if I don't, I have this great guide to follow now! Thanks Maquez! Bookmarked!

Alive is awesome! Thank you for such an amazing addon.

I have a question about the CQB module:

When the CQB module is not set to "Persistent" - do the CQB ai that are killed eventually respawn?

If so, how long before they respawn?

Also, are there any plans to increase the % spawned of the CQB module? Right now the max is 50% but for maps with less buildings it would be cool to have 100%.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions :)

the % setting of the CQB module has nothing to do with amount of houses/places, this setting only increases/decreases the possibility of spawned CQB units

at found CQB places of the module and I think there is a reason you can this only set to 50%, performance

my advice do not set this over 10%

to alter the amount of CQB places the module can find you need to increase the density setting

but be warned too high settings can have a drastically negative impact on performance and makes mission loading time freaking long

read the few posts above you including my guide...

for making respawn the units you don't need to set modules to persistent, units will generally respawn till the AI commander goes out of reinforcements

settings for that you will find in the Military Logistic module

I consider you to read also this:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

• Like 1

ALiVE needs patience :rolleyes:, lot of testing and excessive use of the ALiVE debbugers

^ quoted for Truth.  When making your mission be sure to enable all the debug options on the modules below.  Do your ALiVE testing in SP editor (faster to load), and preview at 4 x speed.

Virtual AI Module - debug will show the group locations on the map, as well as their destination (a small X).  Note that when AI groups are spawned into the game world you will not see the destination marker on the map.

AI Commander module - OPCOM/TACOM orders in sidechat

CQB module - debug will show spawn locations (green dots)

Placement modules - debug will show location and size of objectives (MP and CP).
The first number (50) is the priority of the objective in relation to OPCOM. The second number (150) is the size of the objective (radius from centre). Taken together with some other data such as proximity to the location of the Mil Placement module, OPCOM will use these numbers to determine which objective to attack first.  Zone markers show the type of objective: red for military, yellow for civilian.

Logistics module - Displays remaining force pool and status of BCRs (in sidechat) as well as a map marker for BCR insertion/destination.

When trying ALiVE with a new map here's what I do:

Open in SP editor, add required, MP and CP modules.  Turn on debug for MP module.  Preview, open map, take screenshot and save to desktop.  Turn off MP debug and turn on CP debug, repeat screenshot procedure.  Now you can plan your TAORs and get the marker to cover the objective by referring to your screenshots.. much faster than trial and error.

Other stuff:

CQB module will work on non-indexed maps

CQB module will populated military structures manually placed in the editor.

• Like 1

I just wanted to update you guys on Sangin. Using Maquez's performance guide on the previous page, I've netted an additional 15+ FPS and almost completely eliminated the micro-stutter (which made the map unplayable even in those rare moments of decent average FPS). I haven't stress tested it yet or even played more than 30 minutes on my server, but I have to say: Sangin is not out of the realm or scope of what is playable when ALiVE is concerned. At least not yet!

I may change my mind later after more time has been put in but so far, so good! Thanks Maquez!

My one hesitation so far though is bringing the spawn distance down to 1,000m (or less in some of the other modules). I'm concerned it may eliminate sniping opportunities and provide noticeable pop-in (haven't seen that yet. Just thinking out loud). But that said, his tweaks are powerful and I'm thrilled by the improvements I've seen in my limited play time.

I do set this generally to "1000" feel free to increase it, but beware it could may have an impact on performance if you exaggerate the setting

I personally would not go over "2000" and do not set same distance for choppers (keep it always low "800"), disable it for plane (enable only if really needed) !

will adjust my guide exceed is wrong concerning distance settings

edit: guide corrected changed exceed with exaggerate

• Like 1

Could someone make a recommendation for an ai mod in combination with ALiVE? We're currently using ASR AI (plus RHS + RHS config for ASR AI) and I've got the feeling that this combination doesn't really work well.

use the ALiVE AI Skill module, it does it's job very well if correct configured

Could someone make a recommendation for an ai mod in combination with ALiVE? We're currently using ASR AI (plus RHS + RHS config for ASR AI) and I've got the feeling that this combination doesn't really work well.

ASR works fine with ALiVE