wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Well, it was at least spawning things correctly.  Now I'm getting random crashes and server lockups.  Grrr..

Sounds like you have everything set up right then! LOL!

Crashes are inexplicable and pretty common in the early going. I highly recommend you get the most current performance binaries usually posted on the last page or two here https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-154-performance-binary-feedback/

And also post any crash reports you have there too.

From personal experience, also make sure any scripts you're using are set up correctly and be careful with your load order.

Thanks for the help Heroes.
My server is a rented server, so I'm not sure if I can just drop in new performance binaries at will.  I'll check though.

I have seen you are doing some work getting Alive missions working for you and your friends.  I am by far the least experienced mission guy ever, with a small modicum of map/mission making.

I am mainly looking for an insurgency mission for long campaign style play.  Martial's NATOFOR Takistan map seems to fit the bill, so I was trying to swap the enemy faction from Afghan Militia to ISTS, and NATO to RHS US_Army_desert.

A couple of other tweaks to fit our playstyle with ACE and it would be perfect. 

Thanks for the help Heroes.

My server is a rented server, so I'm not sure if I can just drop in new performance binaries at will. I'll check though.

I'm not sure if Dwarden was joking or not, but on the second to last page he literally told someone to tell them who his server rental service was so he could personally ask them if they would allow for the binaries to be changed. It may be worth asking him to look into it for you if they won't allow you to change this yourself.

I have seen you are doing some work getting Alive missions working for you and your friends.

Friends? What friends? LOL! Just kidding. I sometimes play with a small group (I don't make those missions), but thanks to my fiancé's recent work schedule, and apparently me chatting so loud that I keep her awake, I'm now actually making missions specifically for playing alone (with AI). Though I do keep some of the AI slots as playable in the event me or anyone that tries my templates wants to try to play them with other people.

I am by far the least experienced mission guy ever, with a small modicum of map/mission making.

Me too. If you have experience with mission and map making, you're a step ahead of me. :)

I am mainly looking for an insurgency mission for long campaign style play. Martial's NATOFOR Takistan map seems to fit the bill, so I was trying to swap the enemy faction from Afghan Militia to ISTS, and NATO to RHS US_Army_desert. A couple of other tweaks to fit our playstyle with ACE and it would be perfect.

Yeah, this kind of thing is exactly what drove me to start making my own missions. I was opening other people's missions and adjusting them to my own needs (for instance, since I play alone, ACE is actually a no-go as it removes some very necessary functions needed to command the AI). I then decided it would be easier and more fun to start doing this stuff myself.

I have 4 pretty entry level insurgency templates if you're interested. If so, shoot me a PM. Beware that there may be/ will be bugs and again, they're really only tested by me alone with AI. And it's hard to test 4 at once so some may be more polished than others. If you want to give them a whirl, let me know. They have a pretty decent feature set (long lasting patrol based, high IED/VIED/Suicide Bomber ratio, Intel on dead bodies, fastrope script, etc) and could probably work as a base for you to tinker around with. But again, I'm new at this so I'm sure I made some pretty simple mistakes.

"ALIVE AMBCP - Warning no locations found for placement, you need to include civilian locations within the TAOR marker"

How do I fix this?

Just manually place them?

Im using the MOG map, which I understand to be ALIVE friendly. 

You need to go into the civilian objectives module and turn on debug.

Enter the mission and look at the map. You'll see all the civilian objects. Take a photo or screenshot.

Go back into the editor and make sure the civilian objective module is literally touching the center of what you saw on the map.

• Like 2

You need to go into the civilian objectives module and turn on debug.

Enter the mission and look at the map. You'll see all the civilian objects. Take a photo or screenshot.

Go back into the editor and make sure the civilian objective module is literally touching the center of what you saw on the map.

Thank you for helping me get better. Cheers

"ALIVE AMBCP - Warning no locations found for placement, you need to include civilian locations within the TAOR marker"

How do I fix this?

Just manually place them?

Im using the MOG map, which I understand to be ALIVE friendly. 

this error means ALiVE could not find any civilian objects where you placed the TAOR marker.

there are two way to fix this, increase the size of TAOR until it covers some civilian objects on map

or move the TAOR until he covers at least some civilian objects on map.

sometimes you need also alter the filters in the module this depends on map you use.

kind regards

maquez [Q-Net]

• Like 2

What do you guys think might be the most efficient and least invasive way for increasing the amount of enemy spawns?

What I'm trying to do is increase the number of infantry spawns without increasing the frequency in which I'm engaged. I'm currently seeing maybe 5 enemies when I'd rather maybe see 10. My favorite missions involve a lot of down time while on patrol, interrogating the civilians. I'd just like to up the anty when I am led to an enemy hot-den.

I feel like there's a few ways I could do this.

1. Increase the Platoon Size in the modules from 30 to 60 (though I'm concerned this would be overkill).

2. Add a Custom Objecive module near the OPFOR mil/civ objective modules.

3. Increase the Virtual AI module profiles up 5 points (from say 15 to 20 or 20 to 25, etc but I'm afraid it will hurt performance).

4. Tinker with the mil/civ unit override numbers.

Regarding number 4, I can't tell exactly what effect this will have. In the civilian and military objective modules, I see I have an override option (for infantry/mechanized/motorized/etc). I currently leave them all blank and let the faction author's config's do the work for me.

If I were to put "2" in the infantry override (and still keep the others blank), would that double the amount of enemy foot soldiers and accomplish what I'm looking for?

Any insight would be helpful. I'm not really sure the best way to go about this. I have a lot of options just not sure of the smartest method for doing this without hurting the spirit of the mission.

set the military placement module to 100 or even 200. I usually set this on maps that have takistan size to 800,

on horrible maps like Altis you should not exceed 400.

if you place several different factions you should divide the total size by number of factions - for example you use two factions then 800 / 2 = 400 for each  faction. etc...

if you use both placement modules you should divide the total size also by number of modules you use - for example you use two factions and each uses both modules then 800 / 2 = 400 / 2 = 200 for each faction and module. etc...

in my non public Insurgency's as an other example I set Independent to 800 and friendly faction to 60, they both use only one placement module.

do NOT touch the limiter settings this is the totally wrong approach to increase size of units !

regards

maquez [Q-Net]

Does anyone know offhand how to force manually placed units to stay in place?

I have some units I'd like to stand next to Spyder's modules (to simulate them handing me my arsenal or vehicles, etc) and also have some bunkers placed strategically around the map with units I want to guard their location.

It's about 50/50 right now that they actually stand still, versus them running off toward some objective or something. When I start the mission, for instance, the guys I have set to stand next the some tables that I want to stay and "hand me stuff" are always running off. LOL!

Is there any way to sync or group units to an object or force them to stay where I place them? I've actually tried manually syncing/grouping to objects and it seems pretty unreliable. I feel like ALiVE's spawned enemies and HQ's are forcing my guys to leave their post and try to kill stuff when I want them to stay put.

@Heroes

There's a few options.

this disableAI "MOVE";

In the init line of the units will make them unable to move but maybe less realistic than you want.

You can try:

this setBehaviour "CARELESS";

this setCombatMode "BLUE";

Should make them completely ignore enemies.

And finally you could try:

this disableAI "TARGET";

this disableAI "AUTOTARGET";

Though you may need to couple them together with one of the above.

Check out disableAI on the wiki.

Along with setBehaviour and setCombatMode.

Additional: So they are not completely static you could script a lookAt loop to have them turn their head to face the nearest player.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels

• Like 1

Dear ALiVE Developers,

I made a "staticData.sqf" up to date with RHS 0.4.0.1 :

- added the new units and vehicles that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- added the new static and artillery that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- added the new planes and helicopters that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- added the new groups that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- made finally the Insurgents fully working

did follow fully your pattern of code, so you may be able to introduce all of my edited "staticData.sqf" into next release !

my question, are I allowed to release this to public ?

pm me,

I will send you link of my edited "staticData.sqf" for download so you can first have a look at it.

holy shit now I need a break :P

kind regards

maquez [Q-Net]

• Like 1

@heroes - forceSpeed 0 works best. It prevents the AI from moving without disabling the AI script, so they'll still be able to turn and shoot.

@Maquez - nice job! Yes no problem with you releasing the staticdata.sqf as a temp fix. Please clearly annotate in the file header that it is your temp fix (with a date) and not part of the core ALiVE (yet) to avoid any ambiguity going forward. I'll submit a Pull Request to our Github and get it rolled into the next update. Many thanks!

• Like 1

@Heroes

There's a few options.

this disableAI "MOVE";

In the init line of the units will make them unable to move but maybe less realistic than you want.

You can try:

this setBehaviour "CARELESS";

this setCombatMode "BLUE";

Should make them completely ignore enemies.

And finally you could try:

this disableAI "TARGET";

this disableAI "AUTOTARGET";

Though you may need to couple them together with one of the above.

Check out disableAI on the wiki.

The most recent sitrep has this as well (dev branch only):

Using script commands disableAI and enableAI, you can now toggle two additional sections: "AUTOCOMBAT" and "COVER". The former controls the autonomous switching to combat behavior when the entity detects danger. Having this disabled lets you be the one who commands their behavior, but that also means you become responsible for those poor souls. The second section toggles the AI's usage of cover positions around them in the environment.

• Like 1

VNPA MISSIONS FACTORY presents:

ALiVE staticData.sqf for RHS v0.4.0.1

Declaring RHS v0.4.0.1 Faction Mappings for ALiVE

- added the new units and vehicles that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- added the new groups that got released with update 0.4.0.1

- made finally the Insurgents fully working

This is temporary fix and not part of the core ALiVE !

USAGE:
copy/extract the "script" folder into your missions folder
copy the code from "init.sqf" to the init.sqf of your mission.

read the readme !

kind regards

VNPA Development Team

Thanks guys.

@Friznit2, how would forceSpeed 0 look in practice? Just literally "forceSpeed 0;" in the initialization line of the unit?

Yes

• Like 1

The most recent sitrep has this as well (dev branch only):

Man. Maybe I'm just a pessimist by nature and the glass is actually half full, but all that SITREP made me feel was "OMG no everything related to ALiVE and all the custom scripts I'm using are going to break when they roll out the next update." LOL!

I guess 1.54 kind of made me less excited about these kinds of overhauls.

Someone told me about a month ago that ALiVE "didn't really work" with the 3D editor. Though I can't say I tried myself.

Has anyone tried ALiVE with Dev Branch at all? How are things looking?

Man. Maybe I'm just a pessimist by nature and the glass is actually half full, but all that SITREP made me feel was "OMG no everything related to ALiVE and all the custom scripts I'm using are going to break when they roll out the next update." LOL!

I guess 1.54 kind of made me less excited about these kinds of overhauls.

Someone told me about a month ago that ALiVE "didn't really work" with the 3D editor. Though I can't say I tried myself.

Has anyone tried ALiVE with Dev Branch at all? How are things looking?

I did and it worked from what i remember...  This was about 2 months ago though...

Since alive is mainly module based, the 3d editor isnt really an advantage other then base building.  So you may be better off sticking to the 2d editor....but can be done in either one of course.

• Like 1

hello,

i rellay like the concept of the mod, but did not yet try it.

before i try to learn the basics of it, i've got some questions.

is there a performance impact to expect compared to a "vanilla" mission with similar amount of units.

what level of meta-AI is this mod capable of? can it for example detect suitable terrain for good fire position, find reasonable fire positions in urban areas and has a basic risk/reward management (tactical withdrawal etc.)?

also i find the mod-wiki to be very good and detailed, but it lacks the sales-pitch-aspect of what the AI can really do. i'm mostly interested in smaller coop-scenarios with less then 2h playtime and i'm wondering if this mod would improve these, or if it is more aimed at larger milsim-like scenarios.

thanks in advance:)

ALIVE can do whatever you want.  Think of it as a spawning system.  I think the overall benefit is for large scale missions however.  The problem with ALIVE that i feel is lack of specific design.  ALIVE controls the waypoiints, the spawning of units and group, etc...  Its limited to the setting it has/uses.  Of course this can be tweaked by manually placing units however...but you better off not profiling them.

If the plan is to design a COOP mission for let's say a milsim group, i think it will work in some cases, but not all.  You will want to design specific scenarios manually for more control...

THats my 2cents, good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, it hasn't changed. The maps may have though, and if they've updated the object id's it may have broken the indexing. Please let us know if that's the case.

@twistking: ALiVE does nothing with the micro AI. There are good mods around for that which work well alongside ALiVE (ASR, AISS, VCOM, bCombat etc). For scenario building, ALiVE is best treated as an ambient battlefield tool - it'll give you lots of activity in a credibly realistic way (as far as we can within the limitations of the RV engine anyway), and the Virtual AI profiles mean that the battle continues even when the AI are despawned to save FPS (profiles have almost zero impact on server FPS). But we're still subject to the same game engine as everyone else when the AI are spawned in, and that's dependent on the capabilities of your PC, Server, mods, maps and number of players as with any other mission.

• Like 2

thank you for the info.

i guess this mod is not exactly what i was looking for. still seems impressive for what it is and i might give it a try nevertheless.

do you know, if there is a mod out there that doesn't necessarily change micro-ai, but acts like a strategy-game-ai (think "total war" series battles). so that as a mission editor i could drop down some squads and support units and put them under master AI control instead of giving/scripting waypoints. the master AI would get some abstract goals ranging from very important to optional (f.e.: defend main base (at all cost), hold territory A, seize territoy B (optional).

so in a way i'm looking for a mod like ALiVE, which has less a focus on ambient combat and a bigger focus on a commander AI that gives waypoints to AI groups in a very stratetic way, managing different type of units for different tasks, having basic understanding of terrain, using recon and calculating risk/reward concerning a certain set of predefined goals and units available.

do you know, if such a mod exists? i think there was something like this for arma 2, but i'm not sure...

(if there's no such mod, think of my question as a feature request / suggestion for ALiVE ;) )

thanks!