wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Been using ALiVE for a few weeks now (or close enough to it) and me and some of the guys I play with have been loving it. Well, up until recently; we've run into an issue, and we're not entirely sure on how to solve it.

Warning this version of ALiVE is only compatible with A3 version: 110.114486. The server is running version: 110.113494. Please contact your server administrator and update to the latest ALiVE release version.

This has been baffling us, because we're using the latest version we can grab on Linux, yet ALiVE refuses to boot up properly, due to the above error (pops up after the mission starts). We've even gone to the extent of reinstalling ArmA 3 on our Linux box with no luck. So I'm posting here in the hope that someone can point me to a solution.

Cheers to any replies, in advance and thanks guys for releasing such a great mod/addon!

Been using ALiVE for a few weeks now (or close enough to it) and me and some of the guys I play with have been loving it. Well, up until recently; we've run into an issue, and we're not entirely sure on how to solve it.

Warning this version of ALiVE is only compatible with A3 version: 110.114486. The server is running version: 110.113494. Please contact your server administrator and update to the latest ALiVE release version.

This has been baffling us, because we're using the latest version we can grab on Linux, yet ALiVE refuses to boot up properly, due to the above error (pops up after the mission starts). We've even gone to the extent of reinstalling ArmA 3 on our Linux box with no luck. So I'm posting here in the hope that someone can point me to a solution.

Cheers to any replies, in advance and thanks guys for releasing such a great mod/addon!

Hi Altemio, I have talked with Dwarden and it seems that the linux version is behind the windows version, I'm still trying to lock down with him if there are serious changes between those versions, and if in future those releases will have parity. Unfortunately at the moment I can only ask you to be patient while we try to get a fix sorted.

Hi Altemio, I have talked with Dwarden and it seems that the linux version is behind the windows version, I'm still trying to lock down with him if there are serious changes between those versions, and if in future those releases will have parity. Unfortunately at the moment I can only ask you to be patient while we try to get a fix sorted.

Cheers for the quick response; we'll be eagerly waiting for any news concerning this issue!

"We don't do anything with user made tasks. PLEASE, before you suspect ALiVE in this thread do some searching - its BIS. "

will do, sorry did not mean to imply it was Alive as I said since the ARMA and mod update. I actually will take care to try and search though - I do not do anything except WITH Alive now. :)

"-Military Intel module might be broken, not sure yet. before update I do recall seeing the side chat intel messages, and now I get nothing. in editor preview I did get color coded sector display for enemy only at beginning of mission, but no side chat intel. after the initial sector intel faded due to time it never was refreshed. playing mission on dedicated I got nothing, but I may have just missed it.

--> Intended and not broken. No more sidechat cluttering. Only markers."

I did not know this! it was not in release notes that the side chat went away? but all good, this does work at least at start of mission. it did fade and no markers were refreshed, should they?

"hlfritz, i invested 3 hours in analysing your mission! Actually you use BIS_fnc_AmbientAnim with call in init fields and that leads to some strange behaviours like, items of the UI duplicating! Not happening otherwise! I changed all BIS_fnc_ambientAnim calls to spawn in your mission and its working without a hitch (BIS needs to sort out their tasks though)."

I will check out how you did it. is there something wrong with the way I am doing the calls in the init field? this WAS working on dedicated server before the last update. is this a known issue and should I open a tracker ticket and thread in troubleshooting?

and do you mean how I was doing it is what was causing the double entry of Combat Support in the menu?

thx highhead.

I have a few questions about ALiVE. sorry if this has been answered already, but this thread is gigantic

I have a smallish group of players with specific desires, and I think using this mod would be cool if we could tweak it to fit our needs. here's what I'd like to know:

• I'd like to use ALiVE without fighting alongside AI units, only against AI opfor. Is this possible?
  • Can AliVE support smaller scale stuff? For example, we'd like to try creating a persistent mission where enemy forces grow over time if left alone, but we don't want them to grow too quickly or too much because we're a small group. Is this possible?
  • Can a blufor base be placed without the friendly units? Like just the vehicles, weapon crates, etc, so that just players can use it when needed
  • Any more suggestions for smaller co-op groups would be welcome

Thank you. ALiVE looks awesome

Hi alive team

Just a quick question regarding cas..

Am i able to assign it to the AI and have them use it multiple times?If so how?

Thanks

I have a few questions about ALiVE. sorry if this has been answered already, but this thread is gigantic

I have a smallish group of players with specific desires, and I think using this mod would be cool if we could tweak it to fit our needs. here's what I'd like to know:

• I'd like to use ALiVE without fighting alongside AI units, only against AI opfor. Is this possible?
  • Can AliVE support smaller scale stuff? For example, we'd like to try creating a persistent mission where enemy forces grow over time if left alone, but we don't want them to grow too quickly or too much because we're a small group. Is this possible?
  • Can a blufor base be placed without the friendly units? Like just the vehicles, weapon crates, etc, so that just players can use it when needed

1. Yes of course. Simply don't place a BLUFOR Mil Placement/OPCOM module!

2. It's entirely configurable in the module settings - you can choose to fight a platoon or an entire battle group.

3. As above!

My suggestion is to experiment with it - it's pretty straight forward to use. With a combination of Mil Placement, CQB and white/blacklisting areas using TAOR markers you can make a perfectly manageable game for a small group. Please check out our wiki at alivemod.com for further info.

Redarmy - sadly not. We spent weeks at a training camp trying to teach the AI how to use the Combat Support console but after many fruitless hours we concluded that they are simply too stupid.

haha No argument here the AI are something else entirely. I saw one drive repetadly into a sandbag today until the veihicle stoped functioning,then watched the driver hop out in combat mose aswell as others around him,then run over a friendly landmine and explode!!

Speacking of the AI,I recently downloaded Bcombat mod.Its amazing how it improves ai in combat.Now i wrote a msg here few days ago regarding cp and mp not spawning on 2nd and 3rd attempts.Its continued to happen even after two fresh install,and me deeting all my mods bar spetsnaz weapons/textures by massi.

well bcombat was the last mod i removed not counting spetsnaz and my mp and cp are not consistently spawning.Im really baffled and tryna figure out why?

Has ANYONE had this occur yet with new update?

Have i installed every thing correct? Regarding the cpp file where is that meant to go as im not 100% sure but iv put it everywhere and tested.

Trying all week to get t bootom of this,not tryna be a pester to anyone but any insight would be appreciated as it seems im the only one with this issue.

The best way for you to answer these questions is to watch the youtube instructionals... and then try them yourself. It's really VERY easy. You'll kick yourself for not trying it earlier.

We've build Afgan style patrol maps (FATA and Sangin - but could be done on Zargabad or Takistan etc) for small units, 4 to 24 players where you can populate the Map with an insurgent force (DRIrregulars) and then simply plan out a patrol or a more specific mission. I recommend combining this persistent and Dynamic world with bCombat v16 (with house cover turned On) and MCC. That way you get an INCREDIBLY realistic Ai that hunts you down - reacts to your movements, etc etc. With MCC you can add a little spice, like random armor or Air support, or indeed some specifics like a "downed pilot" that needs recovery from Enemy territory.

The beauty of it all is that the heavy work to build the basic structure is all done by ALiVE in about 3 minutes of placing modules, creating markers and configuring how you want it setup and about 30 mins or so play test time, hopping around the map to check all is as expected. Seriously the easiest most fun way to create a mission I've found. The author can have fun too as they never quite know what the Ai is going to pull next... It's great.

We have serving Royal Marine Commandos and some ex mil guys playing right now; and they are blown away by the "Pseudo realism" it creates.

PM me if you want to have a look see yourself we've got servers up.

SJ

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

haha No argument here the AI are something else entirely. I saw one drive repetadly into a sandbag today until the veihicle stoped functioning,then watched the driver hop out in combat mose aswell as others around him,then run over a friendly landmine and explode!!

Speacking of the AI,I recently downloaded Bcombat mod.Its amazing how it improves ai in combat.Now i wrote a msg here few days ago regarding cp and mp not spawning on 2nd and 3rd attempts.Its continued to happen even after two fresh install,and me deeting all my mods bar spetsnaz weapons/textures by massi.

well bcombat was the last mod i removed not counting spetsnaz and my mp and cp are not consistently spawning.Im really baffled and tryna figure out why?

Have i installed every thing correct? Regarding the cpp file where is that meant to go as im not 100% sure but iv put it everywhere and tested.

Trying all week to get t bootom of this,not tryna be a pester to anyone but any insight would be appreciated as it seems im the only one with this issue.

We've seen this when someone isn't running the right versions of ALiVE. However our MP and CP spawn ok it's just the CQB doesn't fire properly. ?

If I may suggest, don't be too quick to reject having friendly forces on the map. There's something quite beautiful about cresting a hill and witnessing a couple of Marshalls in the distance taking on a Kamysh, while all around you bullets are flying overhead and you have to take cover behind a low stone wall. We only play with a small group, but the ambience from the friendly forces doing their thing without you is a really great addition to us.

The best way for you to answer these questions is to watch the youtube instructionals... and then try them yourself. It's really VERY easy. You'll kick yourself for not trying it earlier.

We've build Afgan style patrol maps (FATA and Sangin - but could be done on Zargabad or Takistan etc) for small units, 4 to 24 players where you can populate the Map with an insurgent force (DRIrregulars) and then simply plan out a patrol or a more specific mission. I recommend combining this persistent and Dynamic world with bCombat v16 (with house cover turned On) and MCC. That way you get an INCREDIBLY realistic Ai that hunts you down - reacts to your movements, etc etc. With MCC you can add a little spice, like random armor or Air support, or indeed some specifics like a "downed pilot" that needs recovery from Enemy territory.

The beauty of it all is that the heavy work to build the basic structure is all done by ALiVE in about 3 minutes of placing modules, creating markers and configuring how you want it setup and about 30 mins or so play test time, hopping around the map to check all is as expected. Seriously the easiest most fun way to create a mission I've found. The author can have fun too as they never quite know what the Ai is going to pull next... It's great.

We have serving Royal Marine Commandos and some ex mil guys playing right now; and they are blown away by the "Pseudo realism" it creates.

PM me if you want to have a look see yourself we've got servers up.

SJ

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

We've seen this when someone isn't running the right versions of ALiVE. However our MP and CP spawn ok it's just the CQB doesn't fire properly. ?

CQB sometimes is a problem too yes.But i havnt noticed it enough as MP and particularly CP wont spawn.

If i can explain correctly,When i place modules down in editor,and do a test run,They always work fine.100%.

But,on the 2nd or 3rd time loading the mission FROM EDITOR(not ingame save using enable save or something) the placements dont get found.Even though they were previously found,like 20 seconds before hand.In those 20 seconds i never moved taor markers or desynced or did anything.

Ihave made the TAOR markers big enough to cover the town i wanna cover(ionnina) and another non named town(group of houses) to its south-east.I tried exclusivly with ionnina(which is the town east of the middle of altis(sure youve tested enough to know it inside out by now) and still wont fire off.It seems when i shut down arma,wait a bit,and boot up again to load,it finds it...i quit out,load up 5 seconds later,it dosent find it.

Complete mystery im dying to solve as iv been bulding missions and investing HOURS into arma all around this amazing mod.

Still looking for awsers myelf by and just done my 3rd install of 5.6

Hey, if you removed all 3rd party mods from the mission, then I suggest to make a ticket on our tracker, where you upload the mission! I can take a look at it then! Definitatly there is something wrong with either the mission or your setup. I'm sure we will find out!

Im here to help you :)

Hey, if you removed all 3rd party mods from the mission, then I suggest to make a ticket on our tracker, where you upload the mission! I can take a look at it then! Definitatly there is something wrong with either the mission or your setup. I'm sure we will find out!

Im here to help you :)

Yeah cheers man thats nice of ya.

where and how do i upload this now?

More testing it seem MP is ok mostly,but CP seems to not spawn and/or delay MP from doing so.

Is there a way to make the combat supports commanding a group?I can only make a single unit being commanded by……

More testing it seem MP is ok mostly,but CP seems to not spawn and/or delay MP from doing so.[/QUOT

I want to add i started making another mission in editor. Now all placements spawn in this one,but for some reason the opcom (invasion) is send ONE group to each enemy placement instead of the normal three.

Tell me the truth lads...is my game bolloxed or something?

For the life of me I can't get the CQB module to work at all. Be it Military or Civ I sync it up with, it still doesn't seem to be adding any soldiers in the houses.

I've successfully done it before. But now for some reason it just won't work. I've been placing down stuff like I've done from the beginning, I even consulted the tutorial videos, but no luck.

Any ideas or something I've missed in this thread?

More testing it seem MP is ok mostly,but CP seems to not spawn and/or delay MP from doing so.[/QUOT

I want to add i started making another mission in editor. Now all placements spawn in this one,but for some reason the opcom (invasion) is send ONE group to each enemy placement instead of the normal three.

Tell me the truth lads...is my game bolloxed or something?

make a ticket here, with repro steps please!

https://dev.withsix.com/projects/alive/issues

thanks

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

For the life of me I can't get the CQB module to work at all. Be it Military or Civ I sync it up with, it still doesn't seem to be adding any soldiers in the houses.

I've successfully done it before. But now for some reason it just won't work. I've been placing down stuff like I've done from the beginning, I even consulted the tutorial videos, but no luck.

Any ideas or something I've missed in this thread?

remove, replace, set to complete map, 2%, no blacklist markers, then go from there!

will work, fi sure

I'm not sure if that has been reported yet, but it seems that TPW Mods is conflicting with the CQB module. :P when I ran TPW mods the CQB module didnt spawn anyone. it did show the locations with debug mode on, though.

I'm not sure if that has been reported yet, but it seems that TPW Mods is conflicting with the CQB module. :P when I ran TPW mods the CQB module didnt spawn anyone. it did show the locations with debug mode on, though.

Guys when your opcom sends entites to attack a MP or CP,does he send one group or three???? to one placement location i mean.

I hace discovered something quite interesting=when NOT using mcc,the opcom would send one unit or group,entity whatever you like to call it,to a placement to attack.

When using MCC,it sends three.

To alive team tryna help me out earlier,my bad when i said i disabled all mods i didnt actually disable MCC just removed it.When i disabled it and started fresh editor mission with alive,opcom behave differently as iv just stated.

Can someone confirm that opcom does indeed send ONE entity to attack enemy placements?

I personally dont think so as some placements have battalion sized forces to be used and that dosent make sense.

Anyone?

I used TPW and yes,i did notice some strange things,though iv been noticing many strange things tonight with alive.If this mod wasnt so awesome i woulda given up by now..

Finally got to play with it and made a couple of missions. First of all: congratulations. The profiling system in combination with opcom is such a game changer, wow. The placement modules are great as well, but the profiling system is absolutely stunming, great work folks.

I did run into a couple of problems like the previously mentioned malfunctioning of placement modules making it necessary to redo it- and its markers to get it to work propperly again. Then the cqb module's blacklist didnt like me excluding the blufor mainbase marker and made the blufor mainbase placement module place groups all over the map although it only had the mainbase marker assigned.

Also i think that some groups move way too quickly when being profiled, especially motorized groups moving through forests. Those motorized groups also tend to teleport from forests to roads when a player activates it. Might be working as intended though? Same thing with lots of groups and water.using debug they are shown moving way too quickly through water and teleport to shores once someone is in range.

Gotta admit that i used a couple of 3rd party mods though, gonna investigate it further without 3rd party mods as soon as ive got the time for that.

A couple of suggestions for future versions:

- Make it possible to sync the military logistics module to placement modules instead of opcom or make it possible to assign markers to it so that you can assign specific zones for reinforcement spawn points.

- I'd love to have an option in the profile module that lets you limit the number of profiles that can be spawned at any given time. The maximum could be defined in a static way (max number of spawned profiles) or a dynamic way (dont spawn in new profiles if FPS is < X). I can see how this would be problematic in mp scenarios, but for sp it could help performance a lot when too much stuff is happening around you.

Anyways, great work, cant wait to see what youve still got in the pipeline for the future.

Guys when your opcom sends entites to attack a MP or CP,does he send one group or three???? to one placement location i mean.

I hace discovered something quite interesting=when NOT using mcc,the opcom would send one unit or group,entity whatever you like to call it,to a placement to attack.

When using MCC,it sends three.

To alive team tryna help me out earlier,my bad when i said i disabled all mods i didnt actually disable MCC just removed it.When i disabled it and started fresh editor mission with alive,opcom behave differently as iv just stated.

Can someone confirm that opcom does indeed send ONE entity to attack enemy placements?

I personally dont think so as some placements have battalion sized forces to be used and that dosent make sense.

Anyone?

I used TPW and yes,i did notice some strange things,though iv been noticing many strange things tonight with alive.If this mod wasnt so awesome i woulda given up by now..

It really depends on how OPCOM is feeling about his force strength, he will usually assemble some groups to link up and recon, then attack, then reserve a location. But it depends on the force available to him at the time. He will leave a couple of groups at reserved locations also who will defend.

Is there an update for ALIVE, if so how do you update? I tried joining a server and was advised to update but can't figure it out.

Finally got to play with it and made a couple of missions. First of all: congratulations. The profiling system in combination with opcom is such a game changer, wow. The placement modules are great as well, but the profiling system is absolutely stunming, great work folks.

I did run into a couple of problems like the previously mentioned malfunctioning of placement modules making it necessary to redo it- and its markers to get it to work propperly again. Then the cqb module's blacklist didnt like me excluding the blufor mainbase marker and made the blufor mainbase placement module place groups all over the map although it only had the mainbase marker assigned.

Also i think that some groups move way too quickly when being profiled, especially motorized groups moving through forests. Those motorized groups also tend to teleport from forests to roads when a player activates it. Might be working as intended though? Same thing with lots of groups and water.using debug they are shown moving way too quickly through water and teleport to shores once someone is in range.

Gotta admit that i used a couple of 3rd party mods though, gonna investigate it further without 3rd party mods as soon as ive got the time for that.

A couple of suggestions for future versions:

- Make it possible to sync the military logistics module to placement modules instead of opcom or make it possible to assign markers to it so that you can assign specific zones for reinforcement spawn points.

- I'd love to have an option in the profile module that lets you limit the number of profiles that can be spawned at any given time. The maximum could be defined in a static way (max number of spawned profiles) or a dynamic way (dont spawn in new profiles if FPS is < X). I can see how this would be problematic in mp scenarios, but for sp it could help performance a lot when too much stuff is happening around you.

Anyways, great work, cant wait to see what youve still got in the pipeline for the future.

There are many work arounds in the profile system to enable it to work reasonably quickly as far as performance is concerned. These are the things you have noticed. For movement speed we read the vehicle config and take an average speed value from there, I assume this is if moving on a flat surface etc etc, so the speed may be a little quick through terrain where it shouldn't be. We do no checks to see what type of terrain the profiled unit is moving through, it would be far to intense to calculate all that for every update of the simulation system.

Vehicle groups will try to spawn on roads when you are within range, this is to try to avoid expensive calculations to stop vehicles from blowing up on spawn (placed on wall placed in tree etc etc), and because most vehicles would try to move on roads where possible.

Profiles currently take a direct line from point A to B, so if there is water in between they will cross it as if it didnt exist. We have had numerous requests for path finding to ensure they only move on land, but again this is performance hungry, and we really want to save some room for all the other features we want to get in, it may happen in the future but no guarantees.

Regarding reinforcement zones, we are going to be completely redesigning the logistics module from what it is today (spawn groups around reserved locations) to a more realistic supply chain over the coming months, which will most likely have things like supply caches, logistics convoys, muster areas etc etc.

There is already a manual profile limiter on the profile system, this is by groups so set 30 on there and no more than 30 groups will be allowed to spawn. We have talked about a dynamic limiter tied to FPS, but it hasn't gone futher than talking at the moment. It would be a nice feature, but a little tricky to implement.

Glad you are enjoying it, and we are also excitied for what 2014 will bring for Arma 3 and ALiVE!

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Is there an update for ALIVE, if so how do you update? I tried joining a server and was advised to update but can't figure it out.

Latest release is available on the website www.alivemod.com or via Play With Six.

It really depends on how OPCOM is feeling about his force strength, he will usually assemble some groups to link up and recon, then attack, then reserve a location. But it depends on the force available to him at the time. He will leave a couple of groups at reserved locations also who will defend.

Yes. Linked in various locations and also on Play WithSix, Dev Heaven and Armaholic.

Kavoriken - many thanks for the support! Ref your point: keep experimenting. ALiVE is deliberately very dynamic so you won't always get the same results. If you think you've run across a bug, please reproduce it with no mods first then post on Dev Heaven.

Mil Logistics is a very early proof at the moment - there's a lot of work going on in the background to turn it into a reality. On a very long list which we're prioritising fairly ruthlessly otherwise we'd get bogged down in endless feature requests!

Sys Profile already has a limiter added from a previous request, though not a dynamic one based on FPS. Set the max visual groups dependent on your hardware and number of players.

Thanks for the quick answers :)

Point taken about performance regarding terrain and pathfinding calculations. Youre probably right that it's better this way than adding a big performance hog. To be fair i only noticed the teleporting of groups when teleporting myself around anyways. In a non-debug scenario i probably wouldnt have noticed except maybe if there were faulty intel reports.

Good to hear about the logistics module, already read about the convoys. That is going to add a lot of potential for tasks behind enemy lines.

About the profile limiter: My problem with it is that it deletes profiles it cant spawn, if my understanding of how it works is correct. If i set the limit to 1 and create a huge number of profiles with a military placement module and get close to it so that i am in spawning range, it keeps deleting profiles because it is only allowed to spawn in 1. Id rather have it not delete profiles and instead spawn them in, based on the distance to the player as soon as other profiles that are closer to the player position get eliminated.