wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Only use the default setting for Arty at present the MBT, the rest either need more work or fixes from BIS.

Ok ,I got it……hope to see the MLRS sypports next update

Really good works in this update,cheersï¼

I know I've been promising an updated manual, but rather than spend hours labouring over a fixed document we've decided to turn it into a wiki instead. I'm in the process of moving everything from the manual to the wiki and it's not very pretty yet, but there's a FAQ and Getting Started tutorial.

ALIVE MOD WIKI

So from now on, most of my answers to questions on this forum will be "Check the Wiki!"

Also, since it's a wiki I would encourage everyone to get stuck in, add content, update it it, contribute to the discussion pages etc. Just login and go wild. If I don't like what you've written, I will edit it and say nasty things about you in public ;)

I'll get Wolffy to add a link to the OP at some point.

..but I must get other goodies done first!

True that! anyway theres more than enough options for the helo and for some reason i cant stop using over watch :D

Hi guys can someone confirm for me the spawn limiter in the profile module is working and what it does.

I have set it from 50,down to 30.But i still see more profiles on the map that are spwned within my spawn radius.

The lag kills on those big battles.

Say for example i set it to spawn max at one time=20. does that mean 20 groups(entities), or individual infy/vehicles?

Any clarification would be great.Alive is a beast to tame im still learning.

Thanks again

I understand this limit as a visual (3D) limit of units spawned into world when a player is near to profiled units.

Yes that is correct and it's # of groups not individual units

Limiter only applies to profiles so CQB is not affected

In Admin actions:

- active unit marking should show all units not just the group leader

- active profile marking shows profiled groups (not individual units)

Yes that is correct and it's # of groups not individual units

Limiter only applies to profiles so CQB is not affected

In Admin actions:

- active unit marking should show all units not just the group leader

- active profile marking shows profiled groups (not individual units)

Wow its groups? Damn 50 seems a lil high.

Lets say i choose 10,coz my rig aint great.With a spawn radius of 500m. What defines which groups get spawned? Say if there are 40 groups withing 500m.

Any chance the groups that spawn are going to be the ones nearest to my player?

That question will have to wait for a Dev to answer as I'm not sure myself how it decides which groups to spawn. I do know groups that get removed due to the limiter are 'reborn' at the nearest friendly location.

Yes the have a second birth at a previous base.just checked it.

And its random who dissapears, closest/furthest just random.Well thanks for clearing it up.

Alive team aware that units who get placed in editor end up placed in alternitave positions/facings once profile kicks in?

Never had such a pain tryna get a static mg to stay in a bunker before.lol

Any place to leave feedback for Alive team?

Thouroghly enjoying this mod and mission making but it seems theyr is always more ways to make it better. save game for example.

Cheers

Here is probably the best place for feedback.

As for your editor statics I would just not profile that type of unit... I suspect when the unit is re-spawned it uses a findSafeArea or whatever the BIS function is and doesn't like the lack of space in the bunker.

What he said^ If you're trying to place editor objects and units for specific mission scenarios, exclude them from ALiVE by making sure they don't get profiled. I'd suggest if you're doing a lot of it, set the Profile module to 'only profile synced units'.

Spawn limiter will be purely on a first come first served basis - so whoever happens to be closest to the player at the time. If you're moving around a lot, it will seem pretty random. Making a mission with all the AI in the world then spawn limiting them is pretty inefficient and will get weird results. Better to reduce the overall AI count - have MP only spawn a platoon for example. You can restrict them to a smaller TAOR if you want to keep the density of enemy high.

Since ALiVE is designed from the ground up to be a MP game, saving is not supported in the normal sense. You'll have to wait for mission persistence to come along, which will be done soonâ„¢, just about when it's ready. Even that won't be a traditional save game though but will store location states of mission critical assets, so it'll be the next best thing.

Here is probably the best place for feedback.

As for your editor statics I would just not profile that type of unit... I suspect when the unit is re-spawned it uses a findSafeArea or whatever the BIS function is and doesn't like the lack of space in the bunker.

Ok i see.

Well while im hear il mention two other things that are bothering me while testing ALIVE.

Maybe someone can clear up or this issue hasnt been addressed yet in forums.

1. AI Skill: Did a test with me in armour vs 1 AT soldier.lowered his skill to 0.1. He managed to hit my fast diagonally moving BTR 5/5 times. Lowered the aim skill to 0.01. same happens all the time.Is it possible he is locking on? just thought of that there sorry if thats the case.

2.I posted a few pages back regarding TAOR markers picking up CP and MP. Then the next time i initilize the mission it dosent find them.I did what was suggested to me and resynced/deleted. No avail.

So i thought id scrub the mission in editor and start a completly fresh one.

The placements seem to be getting recognized the first few times i attempt to start mission.Maybe 5th or so time ALIVE cant find the placements and gives the msg please make sure the are placements that are supported for that placement type(something to that effect) are present.

Its also seems that when i shut arma down and restart it has better chance to find the placements again. Some memory issue maybe?

What is the status of convoys/replacement vehicles being profiled/visualized and being used by the OPCOM for Logistics Support?

The implementation of logistics lines and the targets they offer is of great interest and importance to me.

Thanks!

oK so civilian placement is not working consistently.At first it picked up my placement...then next time i load,it dosent.I didnt change anything or edit it in slightest.Just flat out wont find it.

Redarmy, i just tested it! its fine, please remove 3rd party mods, and make a ticket on our tracker, please attach the mission then! Make sure you redownload the mod from alivemod.com too please, if you havent yet.

Thanks

Here is kind of a strange "bug": Start mission as preview in editor and if I spawn myself as a SL I *occasionally* discover that I cannot change firemodes, i.e., single, auto, GL. Sometimes I can force it by double tapping my firemode bind and it will change from single to auto and then a single tap on the bind will revert it back to single again, skipping over the GL mode. So far seems to only happen about 25% of the time and most of the time I just restart the mission (without doing anything else) and it the problem never appears.

I don't have repro mission yet as I'm trying to save YOU guys some trouble with this one too. I first found it running the 75th vs DRI on Clafghan but I also experienced the same with vanilla NATO forces on Stratis. I'm not sure yet if the addition of any module initiates it (suspected CQB and/or garbage collector at first) or if it's simply too many profiled units (all m & c placements total around 1200). I'll be sure to report back if I can repro it reliably but thought I would post here too in case anyone else has ran into this.

Also, I notice that even though I have stayed with the default "laser designator" for admin actions, if a unit I spawn in as comes already equipped with a "range finder" it gives me admin actions as well. Not really a problem, just thought it curious. Haven't tried setting the device to radio or anything yet.

oK so civilian placement is not working consistently.At first it picked up my placement...then next time i load,it dosent.I didnt change anything or edit it in slightest.Just flat out wont find it.

Try deleting your @alive folder and re-downloading

Here is kind of a strange "bug": Start mission as preview in editor and if I spawn myself as a SL I *occasionally* discover that I cannot change firemodes, i.e., single, auto, GL. Sometimes I can force it by double tapping my firemode bind and it will change from single to auto and then a single tap on the bind will revert it back to single again, skipping over the GL mode. So far seems to only happen about 25% of the time and most of the time I just restart the mission (without doing anything else) and it the problem never appears.

This sounds more like an Arma bug than ALiVE.. I would try and repro it in vanilla A3 to see if that is the culprit.

Also, I notice that even though I have stayed with the default "laser designator" for admin actions, if a unit I spawn in as comes already equipped with a "range finder" it gives me admin actions as well. Not really a problem, just thought it curious. Haven't tried setting the device to radio or anything yet.

Admin actions are available to the current logged in admin (dedicated)... if hosting or playing SP you are always the admin so those actions should be available.

Just wanted to thank you guys for this amazing mod. Already my hands down favorite thing to do in Arma3. And I get the feeling you guys have barely even started yet. BIS Campaign? What BIS Campaign?

Edited by MissionCreep

Just wanted to thank you guys for this amazing mod. Already my hands down favorite thing to do in Arma3. And I get the feeling you guys have barely even started yet. BIS Campaign? What BIS Campaign?

Not a problem mate our pleasure.

Yes you are right we have so much more in the pipeline!

Not a problem mate our pleasure.

Yes you are right we have so much more in the pipeline!

BIS should be thanking you guys, I'd just about given up on ARMA SP. and MP doesn't interest me as I've got other games for on-line gaming that run much better and are more fun for me, such as Red Orchestra and Insurgency. But I can't help feeling that what you're doing is what single player should have been like from the start. Now it really feels like a living sandbox instead of a static desert. Shame about the 'no saves', I'll just have to be ready to play longer missions :-)

Objectives are for OPCOM and I don't think they have much to do with placement so this makes sense. I see that the WIKI now contains this info int he FAQ section.

I believe you will see priority values defined for objectives when you turn on debugging. Not sure exactly what the values mean though so perhaps that can be added to the FAQ as well but as is, this should be very useable for the time being.

Delta,

here is what I believe the instructions are:

place a Game Logic location, put this in the init field:

this setVariable ["priority",50]; this setVariable ["size",150];

then sync it to the OPCOM.

you can probably change the numbers to give it a higher priority. but I just did a quick test with priority at 100 and size at 200 and it was recognized by not occupied. maybe it needs to be synced to the placement module instead of OPCOM?

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

nope, sync to placement did nothing so it is sync to OPCOM.

Alive team - does this just send units to occupy the custom objective? not place units at it?

I am not an editor expert, hence my question: what is the best way to use templates for Alive modules? Because for every island, repeatedly I need to load req. Alive, profile system, ai skill, dyn weather etc. etc...

Thanks Savage, for your help elsewhere, but I'm still struggling to do one thing... I want to get units to spawn in a location away from any "strategic" or "regular" spots picked up by ALiVE.

I've tried one player, Requires Alive, Profile System, CQB, I've tried placing some "empty" structures like tents and bunkers, within a TAOR... and tried switching all variations of MP and CP with both "Place Units" and "Objectives Only". I've even tried using a game logic.

In lieu of having a method to create custom "strategic" and "regular" markers in the editor, is there any way at all possible to spawn units and have them be profiled in wilderness areas, away from the locations that are detected initially by Alive (without placing groups and waypoints manually?)

If someone has figured this out I would *really* appreciate a demo mission to decipher. I've spent half the day already trying to get this to work... :(

So about those logistics convoys? Are they still in the works?

Yes. When it's ready!

Tortuosit - make a mission template with them? Copy & Paste? Not sure how it could possibly be made any simpler than placing a few modules.

Oktyabre -not possible with the way ALiVE is designed. If there's nothing there for the map analysis function to read, it can't read it, so it can't tell anything to spawn there. You'll have to come up with a different method of spawning units there if that's what you want to do.