Sign in to follow this  
chlywly

Hacking already ruining the game!! Please enable Steam VAC!!!!

Having been in approached by, and in contact with some of the A'holes that are responsible for the hacks, gotta say, they could not be any happier about BE's existence and BI's marriage to it.

BE/BI relationship basically provide them an easy way to quickly sell their new batch of hacks, by telling BE how to detect their current batch so they can sell their "new ones" to the same folks all over again...

This could not be more false. Almost every cheater hates BE.

FYI, lots if not all hackers just started making their scripts get executed from the text chat, and they put HUGE strings of text leading their scripts so that it would be beyond your character limit and never get detected.

This of course doesn't even address the fact that memory hacking is now becoming more prevalent and is TOTALLY below the radar and out of the scope of BE's abilities....

This is also false. BE can detect non-script cheats.

@OP

VAC won't fix anything. And battleye is battleye. Around for some time, but apparently not the solution.

The main problem of the ArmA Series is the client-server model where the client is allowed to do actions like spawning weapons, setpos everyone 1000m into the air etc. without authentication by the server.

Imo clients shouldn't be allowed by the engine to use any of these commands by themselves. All sensitive, environment effecting commands should require an "allowance check" with the server. And mission editors should have the possibility to disable them all.

edit:

Ok, looks like battleye does just that, reading the previous pages. But shouldn't BE have some (advanced) default settings in place? Like updating itself on a regular basis from a filter repository which is maintained by BIS and the community?

Most people are lazy and thus they will never spent so much time customizing filters. Can't blame them, anti cheat tools for other games do their work automatically.

Edited by Icewindo

Ok, looks like battleye does just that, reading the previous pages. But shouldn't BE have some (advanced) default settings in place? Like updating itself on a regular basis from a filter repository which is maintained by BIS and the community?

Most people are lazy and thus they will never spent so much time customizing filters. Can't blame them, anti cheat tools for other games do their work automatically.

Not possible since every mod/ mission is different script-wise, however server admins can figure out the most important filters by themselves even with little scripting knowledge and mission designers should be able to provide more advanced filters for server admins since they know most of the stuff in their mission.

And yes, BattlEye does detect cheats completely on it's own PLUS it gives server admins the ability to block the execution of scripts with the features mentioned above.

Not possible since every mod/ mission is different script-wise, however server admins can figure out the most important filters by themselves even with little scripting knowledge and mission designers should be able to provide more advanced filters for server admins since they know most of the stuff in their mission.

And yes, BattlEye does detect cheats completely on it's own PLUS it gives server admins the ability to block the execution of scripts with the features mentioned above.

How would they do that (the stuff in bold)? Some of my missions are created in the editor, no need for scripts.

Yes, but players shouldn't have to gather friends for a coop game or find a clan server with a decent number of people playing at that time. Even in a clan or private server you still have turds who will join just to cause trouble and get kicked. If an admin isn't on then you're simply forced to leave or wait it out while they finish having their fun.

That's not true. Never seen a "turd" at UO, a server filled 24/7 and has up to 80 people playing. And the only thing that doesn't make it public is a password which is freely available to anyone willing to look for it.

But I guess putting any kind of effort into playing the game is an awesome anti-cheat in itself.

now we are back to VAC vs BE battle, another circle run is started. There is no magic anti hack soft, which will stop all the hacks. But battleye is working closely with BI studio, so i do barely think VAC will stop the hacking. Saying this, is very primitive.

Hi mate, interesting read there. But as I have alluded to is it really relevant?

Your going to say yes of course it is and I agree with you with certain caveats.

If the server is public and not passworded then yes, your post comes into play. But remember, BI do not run any public servers for A3. They are all community run. There is no "hive" system in place and there shouldn't be any. It isn't needed.

Who would qualify for this central list of server administrators as you have put it? I cannot really see the usefulness of this.

The community I play with have public nights on a Friday and Saturday. But we also have extremely good admins on at the same time.

We have problems with hackers (it is expected to an extent) but as soon as someone is caught hacking they are kicked and banned from the server never to return again.

If it is a gamebreaking hack we will simply restart the mission (we are extremely patient lol) or if it is just someone spawning helicopters at the base (which happened the other night) then we'll just carry on.

The way we do it works and we have never had an issue with it tbh. We also make sure that Battleye is enabled on the servers we run.

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Exactly Gunter.

No I wouldn't disagree, for you, or other communities like Gunter's that host locked or heavily admined play sessions at given times, that's fine, and my points are mostly irrelevant to you.

However if you want to run a persistent public open server then it is, which was what I was addressing. As a DayZ Server host, the rules are, NO password, and must be listed/public.

you do realize Hive is not protected by BE and it's by design insecure ? ...

properly configured BE server is as secure as you can go, next is only full SPI like firewall analyzing everything realtime (logs/netcode) with performance impact

i'm sorry nonov but your view and approch to the cheating issue is too naive ...

p.s. also if you know about undetected public or private cheat, inform BattlEye on theirs support email

Honestly, I see BE, antihack, and hacking in general as some sort of dark art, It looks amazing from where I'm sitting but it scares me and I don't "get it"

I don't doubt you're right about my naivety, but I would call it optimistic, and frankly think my suggestion of offering the ability to spectate, players and their gear or rate of travel, is of little or no risk to BE, BI, players or server hosts in general...

Tools (in some cases partially authored by you lol) are available now on Armaholic that have formed the base for countless hacking script packages that people then sell to cheaters.

Seems like updating the server side tools available by default for admins is just a no brainer. I mean is spectating players, gear, and rate of travel seriously THAT scary of a prospect?

You do understand that most of the custom "anti-cheats" work on BE scripts? Please, try turning BE off, and then see how much it will get hacked. It's obvious that BE will be "hacked around" since it's the official anti-cheat. That doesn't mean it's ineffective.

Btw. Public hives don't have any special amount of cheaters. I don't remember the last time I saw a cheater in Arma (A3, DayZ, A2)

Most custom anti hack for DayZ I have seen has literally NOTHING to do with BE. Maybe that is just chance? But I've talked to 15-20 server hosts who have custom antihack and ALL of them have BE turned off.

Right now, there are over 2000 "Vanilla DayZ Chernarus" servers online... under 400 of those are attached the public hive, and that is due to the fact that you are not allowed to turn off BE and admins have zero control besides monitoring logs and banning hackers post facto.

I haven't played the public hive (or any dayz mod really) lately but the lack of hackers on public hive might have to do with the numbers outlined above.

I think my comments might need some clarification that they are entirely revolved around my experience with BE in the DayZ Public Server environment only. Obviously as stated above if you're in a closed, well secured community that only runs missions you are likely to never even encounter the type of problems we deal with.

Honestly, I see BE, antihack, and hacking in general as some sort of dark art, It looks amazing from where I'm sitting but it scares me and I don't "get it"

I don't doubt you're right about my naivety, but I would call it optimistic, and frankly think my suggestion of offering the ability to spectate, players and their gear or rate of travel, is of little or no risk to BE, BI, players or server hosts in general...

Tools (in some cases partially authored by you lol) are available now on Armaholic that have formed the base for countless hacking script packages that people then sell to cheaters.

Seems like updating the server side tools available by default for admins is just a no brainer. I mean is spectating players, gear, and rate of travel seriously THAT scary of a prospect?

Having admins spectate, players and their gear or rate of travel would give admins a default cheat mode for pvp and all the things you listed are not cheats by default. In warfare there is fast travel(rate of travel) and you can change your gear as many times you like and how could you continue playing if you spectated even for a little the other team?

I have seen how admins abuse their power with private addons only run by them (realtime maps with player movement in DayZ etc.), why give them by default a way to cheat and who would admin them? (who watches the watchers?).

It's the main reason why I will never play PVP again, having experienced the abuse from private addons the illusion that I could trust a server owner is gone forever.

Most custom anti hack for DayZ I have seen has literally NOTHING to do with BE. Maybe that is just chance? But I've talked to 15-20 server hosts who have custom antihack and ALL of them have BE turned off.

Good luck with a server with BE off.

Right now, there are over 2000 "Vanilla DayZ Chernarus" servers online... under 400 of those are attached the public hive, and that is due to the fact that you are not allowed to turn off BE and admins have zero control besides monitoring logs and banning hackers post facto.

I haven't played the public hive (or any dayz mod really) lately but the lack of hackers on public hive might have to do with the numbers outlined above.

Do you really believe that there are so little public hive servers because of BE? BE isn't a DayZ anti-cheat, it's an Arma one. It gave all server admins the option to use filters (which most admins fail to use), and the filters are used for most custom anti-cheats. Public hive doesn't even suffer from excessive cheating anymore...

That's not true. Never seen a "turd" at UO, a server filled 24/7 and has up to 80 people playing. And the only thing that doesn't make it public is a password which is freely available to anyone willing to look for it.

But I guess putting any kind of effort into playing the game is an awesome anti-cheat in itself.

Oh I see what you’re saying, basically everyone on Arma should just join UO because they have every type of mission and the servers are always filled but never full, and if you don’t then you obviously don’t deserve to have any type of remedial action against script kids and hackers……………… Great point…..…

Though this is unrelated... speaking of Chernarus... does anyone know if they got the Chernarus Apocalypse mission working for arma 3? I've looked a while ago but I couldn't find anything about it. I'm at work now so I can't access it. :/

VAC banning would work because it means every VAC based game on Steam you're banned from.

VAC banning would work because it means every VAC based game on Steam you're banned from.

You are wrong, VAC banning works by game engine. You can be VAC banned in TF2 and still play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 MP.

"persistent public open server" DayZ... BE off... And you pay for a server to do that? Why?

Hello! its PC gaming, your only setting your self up for pain as a admin...Your only encouraging hackers/kiddies.

Guess if I was under 20years old and only played on Consoles, then the appeal of going bouncing around on Pubs until I found a group to spend time with? Guess I would want some big overlord to handle my lack of skillz at admin/running a server. But still, wanting to play with dozens of pubplayers on a server? why? The Scoreboard? Chaos? no real commitment,..Ahh all of the above. I mean how else can you get a gang together and gank others..Dayz is the way! If you didnt want that, you would run Mods sigschk, BE and a PW.... But no, the need to find young guys to gank other young guys, And you want that protected by VAC? A Hive, to ban Young Ganking Hackers... lol YGH go team.

Pubs are good for beer bad for gaming.

No I wouldn't disagree, for you, or other communities like Gunter's that host locked or heavily admined play sessions at given times, that's fine, and my points are mostly irrelevant to you.

Just to add, the admins (on the servers I play) have the capability to actually freeze players where they stand, this means they are not able to interact with the server in any way, this includes typing in the chat channels etc. Also the admin is able to choose any player and look at him directly through a dialogue. He then decides what to do...

"persistent public open server" DayZ... BE off... And you pay for a server to do that? Why?

Hello! its PC gaming, your only setting your self up for pain as a admin...Your only encouraging hackers/kiddies.

Guess if I was under 20years old and only played on Consoles, then the appeal of going bouncing around on Pubs until I found a group to spend time with? Guess I would want some big overlord to handle my lack of skillz at admin/running a server. But still, wanting to play with dozens of pubplayers on a server? why? The Scoreboard? Chaos? no real commitment,..Ahh all of the above. I mean how else can you get a gang together and gank others..Dayz is the way! If you didnt want that, you would run Mods sigschk, BE and a PW.... But no, the need to find young guys to gank other young guys, And you want that protected by VAC? A Hive, to ban Young Ganking Hackers... lol YGH go team.

Pubs are good for beer bad for gaming.

1. I find it odd to infer youth and then use z's in place of s's, or use the word "gank" really at all. ;-P

2. The RULES for operating a DayZ Server attached to the public hive (where all player data is stored for all other dayz servers), the server must have BE enabled, it must be available 24/7 to the public, and it CAN NOT have a password. That was the only way server hosting was available... feel free to see the rules as outlined in their forums: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/62195-server-hosting-rules-updated-3009/

3. Signature checks (v2 always for me thanks) and BE did absolutely nothing to stop the onslaught of hackers, script kiddies, and exploiters that ruined a once great game until it was taken to private hives... where admin abuse became a huge issue due to all the tools they ran... however you were actually safe from hackers unlike on BE enabled servers.

4. I think many Arma guys are missing the fact that DayZ is not a mission, and it's not something meant to be played in an orderly pre-defined way at certain times.

- DayZ is a persistent multiplayer game, so the servers can't get shut down or only play at certain times, because the game never ends...

- The thing that makes DayZ so attractive is the Risk and Reward, and fear of loss....

There would be literally ZERO point in playing DayZ in a closed community with nothing but friends at predetermined times.

I'll use your analogy, bar fights with friends are better had in a pub than your house....

Frankly I love the idea of DayZ servers just living and breathing on their own so much, that I've kept my public hive server running for one year (as of today)... I haven't played on it regularly with my group of friends since January.... but I want it to be there for others to discover and play on.

Just came from a poorly ran server (wont mention any names), & afterwords the name of the server got me to thinking. Don't put things like "hack or tk = Kick" in the name of your server. It only serves to attract all of the trolls, hackers and tker's. Thanks.

3. Signature checks (v2 always for me thanks) and BE did absolutely nothing to stop the onslaught of hackers, script kiddies, and exploiters that ruined a once great game until it was taken to private hives... where admin abuse became a huge issue due to all the tools they ran... however you were actually safe from hackers unlike on BE enabled servers.

Haha, this is completely false.

Now before replying with more false arguments, please go do some research.

Anyone hear of coop with friends, a clan, group, squad, on private server that is locked, come and hack me if you can.

+1 to this

thread drifted way too away into land of offtopic, urban myths and innability to understand the existing security measures ...

1. I find it odd to infer youth and then use z's in place of s's, or use the word "gank" really at all. ;-P

2. The RULES for operating a DayZ Server attached to the public hive (where all player data is stored for all other dayz servers), the server must have BE enabled, it must be available 24/7 to the public, and it CAN NOT have a password. That was the only way server hosting was available... feel free to see the rules as outlined in their forums: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/62195-server-hosting-rules-updated-3009/

4. I think many Arma guys are missing the fact that DayZ is not a mission, and it's not something meant to be played in an orderly pre-defined way at certain times.

- DayZ is a persistent multiplayer game, so the servers can't get shut down or only play at certain times, because the game never ends...

- The thing that makes DayZ so attractive is the Risk and Reward, and fear of loss....

There would be literally ZERO point in playing DayZ in a closed community with nothing but friends at predetermined times.

I'll use your analogy, bar fights with friends are better had in a pub than your house....

Frankly I love the idea of DayZ servers just living and breathing on their own so much, that I've kept my public hive server running for one year (as of today)... I haven't played on it regularly with my group of friends since January.... but I want it to be there for others to discover and play on.

2. Maybe you haven't noticed, but this A3 forums. DayZ belongs to dayz forums. I for one don't care about the Hive, or DayZ. Please try to understand that the rules for dayz do NOT apply here

3. It works for all server admins. KH have been using signature check for the last 6 years with success, as well as others. So please try to keep your lies limited to your own community

4. Again, this is not a dayz forum. Please try to understand that once and for all. This forums is for Arma3. People who give a fuck about DayZ tend to visit dayz forums, mkey?

to conclude:

yes, BE could have certain filters and options enabled by default. But if one cannot setup and admin their own server, maybe they shoudln't even try to have a server of their own?

Edited by PuFu

Only public servers have issues with Joe public.

Edited by Leader

All of my online Arma 3 playing has been on public servers and I have seen a dramatic decrease in hackers (compared to the Arma 2 days). I play BECTI, wasteland, some crazy deathmatch missions, and pretty much any other mission/mod I've seen. I can say with full confidence that BE is working well, I NEVER see hacking on the scale that Arma 2 had. I also pay close attention to the bottom left of the screen and notice BE kicks all the time for steam checks. The system is working at banning most script kids (Arma 2s biggest problem).