TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

What Saul and me discussed, and we can assure is - we will do our best to keep compatibility with any relevant ArmA 3 purpose built mods that will come out latter on so this can be compatible with various mod packs.

I was using Vanilla ArmA3, and I was just hitting the wrong button. Seemed that before it was the same button to use the sights on a tank or APC (numpad 0) but if its RMB then I will give that a shot.

Solid work on this mod...I love it. Now all I need is CCRP (Look at how ACE did it please!)

CCRP or CCIP, and Rockets...I want a proper CAS bird.

Edited by Abshire

@Abshire, let me know if there is any issues gaining access to gunners optics, and if yes, together we will fix em with next release.

Regarding features as Saul already stated we have certain ideas on our TO DO list, its a matter of when. Also regarding ACE ccrp, I tried to contact lads who created that but no response and publicly available manual on ACE did not gave me enough information how to implement this feature in A2. Also Saul made a good point that US NAVY/US AIR FORCE today and in future are not using any unguided ammunitions. So logical decision were made to set as a priority a GPS targeting system development.

Game play also has to be considered, we don't want one jet being able to dominate whole map/mission. Arma is combined arms game, DCS would be a platform of choice if we would aim jut creating such concept of simulation where this one jet can take out anything and with realistic simulation. In Arma I personally would be more interesting to utilize all possible gameplay aspect in design so we maintain this combined arms concept. We are open to discussion, and I can understand that there are a lot of lads who like to play in SP instead of MP mode, so capability to designate target is important, but lets say a "vanilla TAB lock sytem" [since we have it] + GPS targeting menu + range of JDAMS would be solution in SP.

What do you think?

I think for Sp that is great and honestly the CCRP/CCIP is more for MP modes where the need for unguided CAS would come up...like taking out infantry about to overrun a position...using rockets and Mk82s. I know the marines are still using unguided ordnance, or at least they were a year ago, and they are really the only ones still doing a strictly CAS role.

That said, a GPS system of targeting for the JDAMS and using them in CAS would be good as well, and a method currently in use. I still personally think bombing by hand will provide better Close Air, since you need to be close to see the target...but its hard to argue with a GPS.

How does the GPS system work anyway? I have not tried it...or is it in the flight manual? If it is then I can read it there, I am not that lazy.

Having the Aircraft use dumb bombs and unguided rockets would make it less over-powered as well...but its an F-18...its going to be overpowered its what she was designed for!

I mean my squad is looking at putting this in some of our missions and potentially on a public server mission with some other addons, so the need for boots on the ground lazing targets is much higher...because we have targets like radio towers, radar stations, power plants...ect. Right now the plane is extremely overpowered...as it should be. I was making a mission to have some squaddies join in on a convoy attack and fighter sweep.

So I tested the mission out alone to see if it worked...I was able to destroy 80% of the convoy before the enemy fighters even tried to engage me....and I shot down 4 of them before they fired at me once. The AAA fired 2 SAMs at me, which I evaded and took out with my guns...RTBed for a reload and then blasted the rest of them. I am a terrible ArmA Pilot too...lol It was all just guided ord.

Edited by Abshire

@Abshire, I kind of agree on "Right now the plane is extremely overpowered...as it should be" yes it is, we will fix that and we are working on game balance.

Air to air, enemy fighters? If you mean "Buzzard" then its a trainer turbo prop as Chortles likes to call them. And it wont be a match to any fighter. But on this subject again, a need of a proper OPFOR fighter is on the table, we will see what we can do.

In MP F model gives you ability to have team play, since in A3 we have and option to self lase from gunner camera its just a matter of practise and teamwork to be used effectively.

Arma SAM system addons also need to be upgraded, it all cant be done by one moding team so I hope we will see such addons eventually, or at worst case scenario we can tweak vanilla game SAM missile values so they represent more of a treat simulating real world.

Honestly, you guys have done a BUNCH and you should not have to do it all...I mean BI still owes us an OpFor and BluFor fighter...a need you guys have met in terms of BluFor.

You are right about the Buzzards, I added 8 of them to deal with 2 of us...its just not good. I mean if you guys wanted to add a MiG-29 or SU-27 or even a 33...I would not complain...but you guys can't do it all as you stated...however here is the problem. You guys made something of an amazing quality, and have filled a void that we needed with ArmA3...but the problem lies in since you did this...now people want more. We are children who need to be fed, and if no one is feeding us we are going to cry. LOL

@Spartan

I know that you guys are very busy right now at just getting the F-18 done. But why not try to expand this into a bigger addon which encorperates OPFOR threats that really can make it difficult for the F-18. Like maybe Mig29's or SU-35's. Or some advanced SAM systme that needs to be taken out by infantry before CAS can be provided. That way you would also encourage teamwork, instead of just giving the F-18 a CAS on call role.

Just suggesting some things here.

@Spartan

I know that you guys are very busy right now at just getting the F-18 done. But why not try to expand this into a bigger addon which encorperates OPFOR threats that really can make it difficult for the F-18. Like maybe Mig29's or SU-35's. Or some advanced SAM systme that needs to be taken out by infantry before CAS can be provided. That way you would also encourage teamwork, instead of just giving the F-18 a CAS on call role.

Just suggesting some things here.

We thought about that...

@Abshire, let me know if there is any issues gaining access to gunners optics, and if yes, together we will fix em with next release.

Regarding features as Saul already stated we have certain ideas on our TO DO list, its a matter of when. Also regarding ACE ccrp, I tried to contact lads who created that but no response and publicly available manual on ACE did not gave me enough information how to implement this feature in A2. Also Saul made a good point that US NAVY/US AIR FORCE today and in future are not using any unguided ammunitions. So logical decision were made to set as a priority a GPS targeting system development.

Game play also has to be considered, we don't want one jet being able to dominate whole map/mission. Arma is combined arms game, DCS would be a platform of choice if we would aim jut creating such concept of simulation where this one jet can take out anything and with realistic simulation. In Arma I personally would be more interesting to utilize all possible gameplay aspect in design so we maintain this combined arms concept. We are open to discussion, and I can understand that there are a lot of lads who like to play in SP instead of MP mode, so capability to designate target is important, but lets say a "vanilla TAB lock sytem" [since we have it] + GPS targeting menu + range of JDAMS would be solution in SP.

What do you think?

Tab locking a set GPS co-ord target would be preferred. I'm making a mission atm that involves F/A 18E air support for troops on the ground and currently it's rubbish because the jets can just wipe the floor on their own.

What I would love to see is a way for the ground troops to data link with the jets, to have a JTAC unit upload targets for JDAMS during the mission. Other wise simply have troops map mark the location of targets for the pilot to manually input GPS co-ords. What ever the method tab locking onto the input target would be next. Maybe the UAV terminal system could be re-purposed for that datalink.

Also the A2 Mk82 behavior needs to go. Where you tab onto a target with JDAM and then fly basically directly at it and get a lock. Would want the JDAM to only lock to input GPS co-ords, other wise act as a freefall bomb (CCIP plz).

I'd also ask that AIM-120 and AIM-9X cannot lock ground targets. I'm not sure of the realism here but I find it clumsy and annoying. Especially when you're trying to lock aircraft that are near a bunch of ground targets.

Restricting the harpoon to naval targets only would be ok by me, but it would limit them in their use a bit since we don't (yet) have any large ships. Using it on an assault boat seems a bit overkill.

I'd also ask that AIM-120 and AIM-9X cannot lock ground targets. I'm not sure of the realism here but I find it clumsy and annoying. Especially when you're trying to lock aircraft that are near a bunch of ground targets.

Due to the sensitivity of it's seeker, the AIM-9X does in fact have a limited air to ground capability. However the small size of the warhead limits it's effectiveness to light armor / trucks. The sidewinder also costs 6x as much as an AGM-65. However, I totally agree that it's frustrating when your missiles seem intend on locking onto ground targets in the middle of a dogfight.

The AIM-120 has no ability to engage ground targets.

Wow this is stunning great job! I love how the collision lights actually cast light on the side flaps and wings I wish BIS would've done that with their models.

can't wait for the cockpit to get its lights :D

Only thing was I disabled PiP because it looked like it was running at 10fps and it was super blocky even on ULTRA not a big deal but if there's something that you could do to make it less blocky especially on the center mirror that would be great.

@Trauma = The custom missilebox will be upgraded in time. As I have stated before we have a long list ahead of us.

@Flash = We will look into the PiP and see if we can tweak the FPS.

Work continues, look forward to more.

Few video of your Aircraft Sorry for the fail at the end of the first :

The second just a quick try :

On the one hand Im glad you are surpassing BIS in regards to the quality of new addons, both in terms of the model and now also the scripts involved.

On the other hand I hope BIS is not taking this as an incentive to get lazy. "See? The community is doing all the content for us!".

Awesome mod! Different skins would be awesome too! eg. Australia

Edited by James2464

@James = Check the service menu in your action menu near any HEMTT Ammo truck or Tent Hanger (within 25m), then select Paintschemes. Enjoy

@Izaiak = Awesome video's.

@Saul : Thanks Saul , but it was just a quick test i will make a real video later. +i send you a pm.

Edited by izaiak

This is probably one of the best showcase videos I have came across, thanks SwissMaverick.

How would I use this mod on my dedicated server?

To add mod to your mission setup on server end as per usual with @folder etc.... activate in you start command line -mos=@folder, use in editor (make sure on your client end as well) and set planes up.

add planes, add hemitt, add targets, go and bomb targets, return to base and rearm and start all over.

Also nice TOPGUN mission out there where you dogfight against buzzards.

Please do not handicap this jet by trying to "balance it". It flies fast and has the near 1:1 power to weight ratio, as it should have. It can be called from base and get to its destination in a timely manner. In combat and ground engagements it handles and reacts fantastically around 300, as it should. Please do not second guess yourself about its power or speed.

Thank you.

Please do not handicap this jet by trying to "balance it". It flies fast and has the near 1:1 power to weight ratio, as it should have. It can be called from base and get to its destination in a timely manner. In combat and ground engagements it handles and reacts fantastically around 300, as it should. Please do not second guess yourself about its power or speed.
Not sure what you're going on about here, I don't recall either of the modders hinting at intent for artificial stats beyond those imposed by engine limitations...

hey guys a great job with the mod here. The gui is looking really well polished.

I realise it may not be something you can or will do, but are there any plans to include and arrestor system that can be placed on the ground for short landing capabilities. this may help a/c carrier 'builder' to include on their ships for future compatibility.

This is a wonderful High Quality mod. And so soon after Arma 3's full release! I know that a few modders and scripters have been holding off on creating new content until BIS finishes tweaking Arma 3 to avoid constantly fixing their projects after another official patch, but I am glad to see such a great mod out so soon! Maybe someone else will join in and create an aircraft carrier before the end of the year?

Thanks Saul and John_Spartan!

In fairness, they put a lot of work into its Arma 2 version, so it wasn't as much of a sudden leap. ;) Still, that means that it's a well-researched, well-documented, well-supported mod from guys with proven experience going all the way to the original Operation Flashpoint, in fact -- the original modder supported their Arma 2 efforts -- and with something of a clear development plan.