TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

Wow, completely misread my statement there didn't you, Gnat? :lol: I'm perfectly happy to have an "adversary" jet, whether or not it's made by John_Spartan and/or Saul, I even suggested the J-15! And notice how I didn't knock the Service Menu, hmm? ;) I remember that post John_Spartan made with a concept art of that Service Menu applied to a Harrier, with the premise being its use for vanilla/BI-made Arma 2 aircraft...

John_Spartan and Saul, if you do make an OPFOR jet, would you be so kind as to make it a jet not already publicly being done by others, a separate download and not require the F/A-18E/F as a mod dependency, and vice versa? :) <- there, that's what I was saying in that post, Gnat

@ Saul: The overlap bit was about not wanting to see a rehash (even with the Service Menu) of jets that others are already doing such as the Phantom II or the J-20, hence my suggestion of the J-15... just call the Kuznetsov-class "Liaoning"! :D

@Chortles = We will see. The Shenyang J-15 is basically a Su-33 ripoff with Chinese radars and weapons. Defiantly doable but again we are not sure yet.

Chinese+aircraft+carrier+j-15+flying+sharke+fighterChina++Aircraft+Carrier+Liaoning+CV16+j-15+16+17+22+21+31+z8+9+10+11+aesa+J-15+Flying+Shark+Shi+Lang+OPERATIONALFlying+Shark+Shi+Lang+z-8+helicopter+aew+asw+early+warning+ka-+%25285%2529.jpg

Believe me when I say that I thought about the Su-33 "similarity" too before going ahead with that post. ;) I brought up the J-15 solely for the "carrier fighter" aspect (allegations about its strike capacity from a ski jump carrier aside), though truthbetold it'd be secondary to having an OPFOR fighter that isn't a MiG or Sukhoi... hell, I'd even throw in the navalized HAL Tejas rather than see a MiG or Sukhoi again!

Also, as a potential point of interest if you ever feel like it... the Advanced Super Hornet.

Just throwing it in, on my earlier idea of another INDFOR jet i havnt seen a mod ever that adds the Panavia Tornado, a german-made Fighter used by the modern Luftwaffe.

Haven't been monitoring the pages of posts here, but when you change textures while playing with the F-18 on a dedicate server, the textures only change for the client changing them. Not for everyone else in the server. Is it possible to fix this?

Given that the game's OpFor faction is Iran, I would actually suggest another American jet be used, but due to its popularity I think it would be best to have BluFor and OpFor versions: the F-14 Tomcat. Granted, Iran never got F-14Ds, but that would be the Tomcat to see in the game (perfomance/feature-wise). Considering all the skins for this Hornet with previous Tomcat squads, I think seeing them reprised for actual BluFor Tomcats as well as OpFor units would be very interesting, especially with a proper swing-wing manual and automatic control.

Balance wise, I would say the F-14 is a good antagonist for the F/A-18: given their history, having them scrap in the game would be interesting, but the dynamic for balance would definitely be payload/low speed maneuverability (F/A-18) and an overall better plane in acceleration, maneuverability (at speed), with slightly better air-to-air weapons for the F-14. What worries me is exactly how strong the vulcan has to be in order to be balanced with Bohemia's Buzzard: both jets would rip each other apart in a tiny burst if they were kept in line with eachother, in my honest opinion.

I've got several useful tidbits on the F-14 like possible armament configurations and what would work for a 2035 version, if you wonderful gentlemen would be interested in it for your work.

But, onto the topic of this wonderful F/A-18 mod: are any rocket pods planned? Laser guided zuni rockets as well as regular rockets would be an interesting feature for this aircraft.

I also really like the idea of this service menu being applied to other aircraft, it's truly neat and a very useful feature, undoubtedly one of the best selling points of the mod to me.

Edited by Tungsten
Forgot a tidbit

The F-14D would probably be a better investment of the modders' time than a J-15, because it's actually relevant to the OpFor units, and a large number of the weapons can be carried over from the F/A-18 mod. Most of the stuff that could be made for the Tomcat is obviously going to work for the Hornet except for the AIM-54. Don't need AIM-7 Sparrows, either, because it's software that prevents the Tomcat D model from using AIM-120s, so for all intents and purposes, it could use them for this mod. :)

Here's what I think of seeing the F-14 again: FPDR

Gnat;2529953']...... Never have understood the community that's "I only want/ I only play NATO/US units" and seem to be quite fine relegating the OPFOR units to AI ......
I think I'm feeling your pain too... Edited by Chortles

Tomcats A2A against BluFor units would be great, but I think it's best to play both fields if you possibly could realizing that tendency of the player. I'd rather be able to go up with and against the Hornet than only be able to one jet for one side.

At least, for now, there's good and bad points to it. One of the good points is, Iran loves their F-14s, we know that because they love their AIM-54s, so it would be a good OpFor unit with comparable, albeit differently focused, capabilities.

I want to smash Hornets more than I want to fly with them. The Super Hornet killed the Tomcat upgrades! RAWR AND MASHING TEETH AND SUCH! :mad: ;)

Edited by Tungsten

F-14?

Gnat;2529953']

...... Never have understood the community that's "I only want/ I only play NATO/US units" and seem to be quite fine relegating the OPFOR units to AI.

Of the dozens and dozens of non-NATO jets to pick from, we get F-14 and Tornado requests .....

@Chortles

Thanks for the clarification :)

Gnat;2530179']Of the dozens and dozens of non-NATO jets to pick from' date=' we get F-14 and Tornado requests .....

@Chortles

Thanks for the clarification :)[/quote']And now you get where some of the jokes outside of the BI forums about the denizens of the BI forums come from... hence my remark about feeling your pain. :p That last post, especially, with its wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Although this is coming from someone perfectly happy to see the Tomcat, the Tornado, the whole of the MiG/Sukhoi lines (minus the J-15 ;) ), the "AK-47" and the "M16" all consigned to the dustbin of history. :icon_twisted:

I would Report some issu with the F-18 weapons.

Is JDAM could locked and shot by Laser designator?

I can't see any lock on mark. Is it shoot and forget system? so I release and guided automatically?

Don't know how to guide JDAM help me :(

With GBU-12 you can lock laser designator only if you are at low altitude , and you need to have the target lock like missile before shot.

Like other said JDAM is working with GPS.

Issue : With clear sky , at 5200m ( it depend also with the distance ) you will lost the laser designator target.

Issue 2 : If you are not at visual range of the target disgnated by the laser, you won't be able to have the lock. So you can't shot. IRL with the weather is clear, and if you are aiming the laser target, your bomb will be able to lock the laser target.

Question : Is it possible to find solutions to those issue ? Thanks.

What CyclonicTuna (although we said very similar) said -- only the GBU-12 ("LGB12" in the Service Menu screen) can be laser-guided.

Issue : Wrong name of bombs. GBU = Guided Bomb Unit ( the bomb is guided by LASER ). So LGBU Do not exist.

Issue : Wrong name of bombs. Bomb without laser guide system are MK-XX . For GBU 12 , without the laser guide system it is : MK82.

Question : is it possible to give the good name ? Thanks.

Edited by izaiak

@izaiak = As far as Laser designated targets I don't believe we can change that as it is the default BIS system. I'll have a chat with John but I'm sure there isn't much we can do.

Second the name of the bombs are correct, google it. The GBU 10 family (GBU- 10, 11, 12) are the Laser guided bombs. The GBU 30 family (GBU- 31, 32, 38, 52) are the JDAMs or GPS guided bombs. The Mk 80 family is currently not in our built in missile box.

And GBU-## refers to guided bombs, period, though I'd add that the GBU 20 family (GBU- 22, 24, 27, 28) is also laser-guided.

The F-14 Tomcat is propably my favourite jet ever. (Yes I know my nicks says "Fulcrum" :D ). But as an OPFOR fighter in ArmA III? Naah.

My suggestion would be something slightly unusual, to fit the "future" tone of ArmA III. Maybe one of the cancelled Sukhoi jets, like the Su-37 "Terminator" with working thrust vectoring.

Suggestion for future laser guide

I heard that lasers are having secret code for each of em.

what i want to tell is

make a seperate laser code in laser designator and make the laser guide bomb to guided each other laser so make them attack multiple object (Ofcouser Not only just with one BOMB)

not sure is it work and doing in reality modern warfare,, just a suggestion (ofcourse laserdesignator is not your teams work, it could be burden to your people :))

Edited by kgino1045

@izaiak = As far as Laser designated targets I don't believe we can change that as it is the default BIS system. I'll have a chat with John but I'm sure there isn't much we can do.

Second the name of the bombs are correct, google it. The GBU 10 family (GBU- 10, 11, 12) are the Laser guided bombs. The GBU 30 family (GBU- 31, 32, 38, 52) are the JDAMs or GPS guided bombs. The Mk 80 family is currently not in our built in missile box.

Yep, my bad i didn't write the good thing. I would said that LGB12 is GBU12 not LGB.

Thank you for laser guidance. Hope you will find a secrect to improve this point :).

Sorry if i miss informations, but you are working on JDAM isn't it ? Will they work for example in the next update ?Thanks.

Are we getting to do requests :) Because in that case, the F-14 makes no sense, it's a naval plane with hideous manouverability and standoff engagement with the phoenix that can be launched from 50 miles out. Perfect for something like Falcon 4 with its large world, but not for smallish Altis.

The A-10 on the other hand, it fits Arma3 like a glove. Both its role that ties it with the infantry and its ability to move low and slow :)

The A-10 on the other hand, it fits Arma3 like a glove. Both its role that ties it with the infantry and its ability to move low and slow :)

They were talking about making an OPFOR plane.

Are we getting to do requests :) Because in that case, the F-14 makes no sense, it's a naval plane with hideous manouverability and standoff engagement with the phoenix that can be launched from 50 miles out. Perfect for something like Falcon 4 with its large world, but not for smallish Altis.

I guess I was confused, because Iran utilized them and quite enjoyed them, and aside from the fact that the D model, with software upgrades, could use the majority of the US A2A missiles. It's not like the AIM-120s can be properly utilized in-game, either. :p

I don't understand where people get this idea that the Tomcat isn't very maneuverable; though, it's a better dogfighter in the D variant than an F-15C, only the F-14A has problems maneuvering because of its engines. Most cursory research into it yields the exact opposite, but that's the sort of discussion for PMs...

Most of the weapons in the missile box could be shared, as well Iran being the OpFor country, but I guess everyone still looks at it like it's BluFor equipment, and that, I guess invalidates the suggestion because obviously, OpFor needs to Russian style equipment. :rolleyes:

Aside from my blatant Tomcat appreciation derailing this thread: I'm still quite curious if there's any rocket pods planned for use.

I don't know if this was reported yet:

If you have the collision lights switched on and fold the wings, the lights stay at their old place and don't move.

Would be great if that could be fixed.

I've heard that if you drop the fuel tank while inverted the tank will pass through the fuselage. Not sure this really requires a fix, because how often would that be an issue, but I thought it was worthy of mentioning.

I don't know if this was reported yet:

If you have the collision lights switched on and fold the wings, the lights stay at their old place and don't move.

Would be great if that could be fixed.

I think this was fixed in the latest version. Check the change logs.