Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

I'll sort of agree with some of you. I'm not thrilled by the military equipment in Arma 3 so far. One jet, goofy static weapons, components (like turrets) being shared across not just armies, but the traditional East/West divide, made-up or prototype equipment, etc. It's all been said to death. I hope it gets better. Either through BI or the modding community.

I hope it gets better because I love the improvements to the basic moment-to-moment shooting and scooting. Animations are better in Arma 3 than previous BI games. Shooting feels more satisfying. Sounds are crisper. I can't go back. Seriously. I've fired up Arma 2 since playing Arma 3 Alpha and Beta, and I just can't take it. It all seems so clunky now. I look sadly at the vehicles in Arma 2 and pine for them to be in Arma 3 so I can use them there.

I also hope it gets better because I really want BI to do well. I want Arma 3 to be tops-to-tails awesome. I want BI to win accolades. I want there to be no controversy about content. I want people that have never played a BI game to be overcome with lsut, bust out their credit cards and buy it full price on Steam, or better yet through BI's store.

I want this, but I don't think Arma 3's launch state will get this.

all of you arguing about the content should ask your self what would you prefer if you had a choice a few years ago when A3 began development

A. Arma 3 is released as it is going tobe or close to its current state ...or

B. Arma 3 is really nothing more than a major overhaul of the RV engine to make it scalable removing all the performance issues of A2 and adding a new robust power curve but having NO new content just the same stuff from A2 but the future DLC would consist of new highly detailed maps with full phyzX implementation along with more DLC to follow with highly detailed armor,weapons,objects etc

for me it would be B. I would be happy to pony up $60 everytime DLC was released fully knowing my ejoyment was going tobe rock solid, unfortunately content to me represents putting the cart before the horse :( right now the performance issues in MP are very disheartening and only so much of it can be fixed.

B.

And this is why I want all this to go over to DCS, because that is exactly what they are doing. DLC Modules. You want a certain tank or plane, you buy it. And its as real as it gets. Of course, I'm still working on pushing them into making realistic ground vehicles. I COULD USE SOME HELP! :p

As for Arma, this all looks like the act of a dying company.

Arma 2/OA was by far the best arma game out shit loads of content.. And the possibilities were endless.

Sorry ... but Arma2 sucked big time when it was released 4 years ago. Arma 3 hasn't even been released. So don't be such a drama queen.

Edited by MissionCreep

Wow... left the forum for 3 days and the controversy mushroomed.

Let me begin by saying, i did not even tryout the new content. But i actually read through all these posts so far, let me try and summarize:

- There are some of us who really whished for contemporary content instead of futuristic

- There are a better part of us who whished for more quantity

- It appears mostly consensual that existing content should be more varied (less reuse of vehicle elements)

Then i see three types of attitudes with less or more tact:

- Bohemia will not address above issues in time for the final release

- Bohemia will address above issues in humanely possible time

- Bohemia will not address these issues at all

Bohemia has a track record of stellar after release support, we can safely dismiss bullet three (would recomend anyone fiting himself here to try and see the light)

I fit myself in bullet two, content will come, the campaign episodes should imply additional (if not as significant) and improved content

To those fitting in bullet one i would say, you're probably right, not all is lost though, while futuristic setting is a given, our hands are not absolutely tied in bringing contemporary into the scene, be it new mods, be it reusing official addons. Not ideal but still with good prospects. In regards to quantity and variety, one will just have to be patient, the content will come, i simply have no doubts about it. Again, be it brought by Bohemia or modders, it really makes no difference to me, i know there will be quality.

It is just the psichological factor of time and surprise, having had access to alpha and beta through all these months spoiled us.

Overall am i disapointed? No! And i say it not even having touched the new content yet (which i'll do in a moment), simply because what i really felt needed the love of Bohemia this time around was the engine itself. We can only look at it superficially, but this update has undoubtfully addressed core engine issues (not all but), which lay the required foundations for whatever our imagination can lead us to for some years to come. Bohemia delivered here specially imo, facts show it in may disparate areas, i am very happy with "my" new sandbox. Engines are built upon, if anyone still thinks engines are rebuilt from scratch each time around, please see the light, even Cryengine PR Dep. did.

Lighten up, there is and will be so much more fun to squeeze out of Arma 3. Now off to see that which is making ppl so angry...

(@Logan9773 you don't need to "wonder" anything in these years, you're just not using your eyes the right way)

(@Logan9773 you don't need to "wonder" anything in these years, you're just not using your eyes the right way)

Lol, noted Fanboy. Please tell me where you got those magical rose colored glasses. :)

yea... who saw me then who sees me now. Maybe there is a reason for that too.

about the "magical rose colored glasses", go to

Main Menu > Configure > Profile, the press "Edit" and dropdown list box named "glasses"

Yes point taken, the colour correction does not trigger automatically...

Now the FIA is on blufor, there goes many mission capabilities down the drain!

Now the FIA is on blufor, there goes many mission capabilities down the drain!

I thought it was just the contrary. FIA main enemy is AAF ( remember the civil war and so on ) and later the CSAT invaders who them fight with NATO support.

I wonder what version the reviewers got lol

I am bracing myself for a critical mauling as, while the island is beautiful and many aspects of the gameplay has been improved, when you play missions you are constantly confronted by the flaws of the artificial intelligence. There's no getting around the fact they are idiot savants, one minute they're blissfully unaware of your presence or driving while under the influence the next they're accurately shooting you in the head from 300+ metres away before you've even seen them. If they're fans of the series they may forgive BIS for some of ARMA's idiosyncrasies but people new to the game may well sorely abuse the games lack of polish. I can see low scores which will hurt sales and thus BIS's ability to improve the experience. I can't help but feel some aspects of the game should have been given priority but were not at the expense of others the community doesn't care about.

I am disappointed and very happy about ArmA 3...Sounds strange, but thats the way I feel.

I am very happy about the graphics and gameplay. FINALLY ArmA no longer has that strange detached feeling when controlling your soldier, instead the controls are smooth and direct.

Also the other gamplay mechanics, walking, shooting, driving, flying, everything feels so immersive.

However to fully enjoy all these things we need "toys" to play with, we need something to shoot, drive and fly with. And there I am very disappointed in ArmA III. It just all feels so unfinished. Never before had an ArmA game fewer vehicles, and those we have are very interchangeable. Altis looks great, but its a desert island. What happend to the big forests of past games?

Tankfully I only bought the 30$ version. Ill wait what happens, maybe the community will release a big addon pack, maybe BIS will release some DLCs. But until then I wont bother with ArmA III.

I believe "Game not finished yet" may be mentioned, but unlike other ArmA titles and hundreds of other games where "not finished yet" is used because the game hasn't even been released in a playable condition, ArmA 3 is very playable - just with the the absence of a campaign and a slight hole in the military and civilian arsenals which BIS has already stated they will plug, for free. It may loose a few points for it but I don't think it will ruin the marks that much.

While I was disappointed with the dev release, thinking there would be a little more, I'm really not too upset about it. BIS will address these issues, given past experience, but at least at the moment most of us can play the game in a stable matter, which is a lot more than it was with Arma 2 and especially Arma 1 which were basically broken upon release. This game's good and it's only going to get better.

I thnk the improved :"feel" of infantry movement and weapon handling are worth the price of fhe game. The improved graphics, Altis and other changes are gravy. I don't mind vehicle turret modeling because the only time ill see one is through the optic on my AT launcher.

just with the the absence of a campaign and a slight hole in the military and civilian arsenals which BIS has already stated they will plug, for free.

Just the absence of campaign. Oh what a minor thing.

Slight hole? You mean like having only 1.5 sides where only one side really has its vehicles and for everybody else it's just reskins of them?

And BIS never said they will plug anything. They said "maybe but no promises".

I bet they will never bother un-copy-pasting the present content - so what if they will add a plane or two a year post release? That won't fix the game.

While I was disappointed with the dev release, thinking there would be a little more, I'm really not too upset about it. BIS will address these issues, given past experience, but at least at the moment most of us can play the game in a stable matter, which is a lot more than it was with Arma 2 and especially Arma 1 which were basically broken upon release. This game's good and it's only going to get better.

Except the release of ArmA3 was technically on 5th of March and it took exactly the same amount of time as ArmA2 to make it playable.

Yet ArmA2 has a lot more features and content.

Edited by metalcraze

Except the release of ArmA3 was technically on 5th of March and it took exactly the same amount of time as ArmA2 to make it playable.

That's just you lying to yourself.

And A2 had copy-paste from previous 3 titles. What now?

That's just you lying to yourself.

And A2 had copy-paste from previous 3 titles. What now?

The A2:OA m1a2 TUSK was the same m1a2 model from Operation flashpoint, really? And the A10, and the M2a3 ERA, and the BMP etc etc etc? I must need glasses. And even if they did copy paste these assets....it's still no where near as bad as sharing assets between the two major factions ( which is what most people have issue with). That would be like them sticking the Shilka turret on the Tunguska body. Or the BMP gun on the Bradley. Eg: ridiculous

I have to agree with Metalcraze, I seriously doubt they will replace the copy/paste turrets with different ones, or create a different set of UVs etc for the other major faction. I hate seeing people make predictions like this as we really don't know, but you have to admit..it's pretty unlikely. I really hope I am proved wrong.

Edited by -=seany=-

People that think they will replace the copy paste content and add variety to the two sides live in a fantasy world.

The A2:OA m1a2 TUSK was the same m1a2 model from Operation flashpoint, really? And the A10, and the M2a3 ERA, and the BMP etc etc etc?

A1, VBS1 and 2, Game 2... Someone already made a list of that, no point in going there again. And A3 units are very well made - soldiers, gear, weapons, vehicles - and most of them are really new.

I totally agree (I mean, it is undeniable) on the turrets, unmanned units and static weapons; Forces kind of lost their unique identity because of those "details" and I can only hope BI decide to adress these in the coming months but I too think its unlikely.

But the overall picture just isn't as bad as some paint it is.

Edited by Smurf

I totally agree (I mean, it is undeniable) on the turrets, unmanned units and static weapons; Forces kind of lost their unique identity because of those "details" and I can only hope BI decide to adress these in the coming months but I too think its unlikely.

No question. Especially in light of the fact that these are futuristic semi fictional troops so they need to be grounded in strong independent flavor to give us a feel of who they are.

Haha, I have to smirk whilst reading all these complaints... why did you people pay for the Alpha or Beta if you were hinging on the playable content from the final release (altis, tanks, campaign, women etc) making the game worthwhile?

I for one, am extremely pleased with the end result. ArmA is all about the community and mod-friendly engine which they have worked on tirelessly since OFP. If you expect a small, talented and passionate team such as BI to release massive amounts of content; then I am pleased that Bohemia gets to gobble up your money without your satisfaction.

My message to Bohemia Interactive: Keep up the amazing work regarding physics, mission presentation, function library and graphical improvements. The important members of the community will be the ones who are still playing, modding and scripting three years down the track; as they have been doing for the years leading up to ArmA III :cool:

Been playing since day ONE of OFP....

It has always been about the community building on the sandbox that BIS provides. Some of the greatest stuff made was not made by BIS themselves, but rather by community members. Remember BAS? Tonali? Fast roping, the MH-6 Littlebird, UH-60 and its various versions... community... BIS provides the framework and lets you do what you want. They do provide some great base material. For those whining, they might not have been here since the beginning, well guess what for $60 USD you can buy COD and not be able to MOD a darn thing, and play on their crappy maps with their crappy gameplay...

Sorry... how this BIS veteran feels.

Remember BAS? Tonali? .

Tonal......:inlove:

I've never felt more immersed in a game ever than my days in Tonal.

Well why don't they just give away their engine for free if we are supposed to make our own/install somebody else's content for it?

After all you can do the same with UDK and it's free.

well guess what for $60 USD you can buy COD

Last time I've checked CoD always delivers what it promises. I don't think there's anybody expecting anything else but a team deathmatch shooter with a "cinematic" campaign from it.

How about comparing A3 to comparable games?

Like for $25 you can buy A2 CO and it will offer a lot more content in vanilla than $60 ArmA3 that forces you to install mods to be somewhat enjoyable.

Even A2 on release (at $50) offered a LOT more.

Just the absence of campaign. Oh what a minor thing.

Slight hole? You mean like having only 1.5 sides where only one side really has its vehicles and for everybody else it's just reskins of them?

Well I guess that really does depend on perspective.

And BIS never said they will plug anything. They said "maybe but no promises".

I bet they will never bother un-copy-pasting the present content - so what if they will add a plane or two a year post release? That won't fix the game.

Are you sure you're taking the worst case scenario to its most extreme yet?

Except ArmA2 was fielded as a completed game, with a full price tag, and wasn't ready to play, whereas ArmA3 was fielded back in March as an Alpha, with a reduced price tag. Back with Arma2, and Arma1, and OFP:R and OFP:CWC, Bohemia refined and added to the games for a long, long, long time after the game was released, which was and is a shed load more than many other game developers do. Now I'm going to jump to some crazy assumption and say...erm...they'll do the same again? What's so "final" about September 12th? The day has absolutely no meaning for me, I tell that much for nothing. Yeah I may be sorry for people who buy the game at full price but then at that point, everyone will be in the same boat, i.e. having a game that in many gameplay respects is a large improvement on ArmA2 but will have to wait for Bohemia or modders to provide extra content but then we've got good reason to be hopeful about that, based on past experiences and, well, the boat is still a lot of fun and some of us have enjoyed it for longer and paid less for the pleasure! Suits me!

Edited by ZedderZulu