Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

a c130 can drop armored vehicles just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp9eJEoMpQ

Also, with a n airlift script you can basically lift a tank with any chopper un less physx made that impossible.

Anyway, as long I get the vanilla jets in ArmA I will be a happy camper.

a c130 can drop armored vehicles just fine.

The M551 Sheridan in the video was especially designed to be able to be para-dropped. All the armoured vehicles in Arma 3 are a few tonnes heavier than Sheridan.

The M551 Sheridan in the video was especially designed to be able to be para-dropped. All the armoured vehicles in Arma 3 are a few tonnes heavier than Sheridan.

Thus far... Wouldn't it swing the gameplay a bit if the only carriable vehicle were purpose made airlift ones? That'd make transport aircraft really valuable all of a sudden (as in, more than normal), as well as those special vehicles.

I take a look and the MBT here in Arma3 have 65 tonnes and the only planes that can handle that at the moment are

McDonnell Douglas C-17A Globemaster III (payload 77.519 kg)

Lockheed C-5 Galaxy (payload 122.472 kg)

Antonow An-124 (payload 150.000 kg)

I think they are to big for Arma3.:(

Thus far... Wouldn't it swing the gameplay a bit if the only carriable vehicle were purpose made airlift ones? That'd make transport aircraft really valuable all of a sudden (as in, more than normal), as well as those special vehicles.

I was merely responding to B00tsy's mistaken assertion that a C-130 is capable of air-dropping a "couple of tanks", as though a Herc can happy airlift a the best part of a troop of Challenger 2 or Abrams IRL. Placing that in context as to where tanks that are air-droppable IRL stand in relation to the vehicles that are available in Arma 2.

As Anjan-Riot said, MBTs (i.e what most would categorise as a proper tank these days) require large strategic airlift aircraft like the C-17, IL-76 to carry a single vehicle, or larger ones like C-5 or AN-124 to carry two or more. I'm not aware of any common military parachute rigs that are capable of delivering a 50+ tonne payload safely (heavier loads require multiple chutes, but there's a limit on how densely you can pack those multiple rigs in a way where they will inflate reliably without interfering with one another) - simple facts is that military aircraft don't regularly air-drop things as heavy as MBTs, if ever.

Yeah I know you were replying to him, but I think that'd actually be a nice gameplay aspect if you had to suddenly value your assets a bit more (of course it'd still be at the mission maker's discretion; people will want all vehicles airlift-able probably ;/).

IIRC Chinooks are pretty good at heavy load lifting, but again susceptible to weight restrictions (something like 14 tonnes?). You do see them dragging all kinds along though ahah.

Dwarden implied they were looking at sub-sonic planes only, which is rather limiting. The ones that are are very old. Harriers, A10s, prop planes. Even A2's F35 was supersonic.

A C-17 would be great to have in ArmA 3, so many possibilities.

Yeah C17 would be nice to have. Only worried about those (by the looks of it) small airstrips on the Altis map, it might not have enough room for it. But if it can airdrop vehicles with chutes and all that would be really cool.

Back in Arma 2 we had a transport and airdrop script for the C130J and it was good.

The only thing was that the C130J was not big enough for the M1.

It fits but not that good, so we need just a little bit bigger airplane.

http://s22.postimg.org/gcg7i53pd/arma2oa_2013_08_14_17_01_23_266.png (129 kB)

http://s22.postimg.org/nr5jaipkx/arma2oa_2013_08_14_17_02_14_270.png (155 kB)

http://s23.postimg.org/v67ohrsd7/arma2oa_2013_08_14_17_28_26_316.png (105 kB)

http://s23.postimg.org/ln2l21u8r/arma2oa_2013_08_14_17_28_28_950.png (106 kB)

http://s23.postimg.org/62v7bik4b/arma2oa_2013_08_14_17_28_31_415.png (109 kB)

Edited by Anjan-Riot

Yeah C17 would be nice to have. Only worried about those (by the looks of it) small airstrips on the Altis map, it might not have enough room for it. But if it can airdrop vehicles with chutes and all that would be really cool.

C-17s needed about 1500m for a full payload while in RL development (to land), I think that figure has been reduced now though.

We need either a C-130 or some sort of Transport Aircraft. HALO jumps were one of the most demanded features. And it makes little/no sense to use a ghosthawk for halo jumps. Especially with its limited carrying capacity. Now I am just starting the units in the air randomly already falling, which seems lame to me.

Wouldn't it be better to delay the release?

Think back to the A2 release, things were similar there, just with bugs instead of content. Take 2-4 more months, get ready and then release.

I see that you are in serious time problems and however it has come this way, now that's the situation. Maybe, from the disappointment point of view, it would be much better this way.

Wouldn't it be better to delay the release?
Probably, but more than likely it's a business decision. BI isn't raking in cash, there's just trying to survive as a company.

2x Williams FJ44 Engines to be precise :D

The Williams FJ44 are only used in the prototype model, I don't think 2 of those give enough power to even get that c130 moving on the runway.

Now this is all rumour but today I contacted BI Support to see if they could shed some light on the whole situation and whether they will be implementing new content. Althought I already knew the answer I was going to get the reply stated that they are unable to provide me with this kind of information. Now, wouldn't they have just said that that list is what is going to be in the release if it was the final list or are they still adding new content in a last-ditch attempt to surprise us when the final game is released?

Now this is all rumour but today I contacted BI Support to see if they could shed some light on the whole situation and whether they will be implementing new content. Althought I already knew the answer I was going to get the reply stated that they are unable to provide me with this kind of information. Now, wouldn't they have just said that that list is what is going to be in the release if it was the final list or are they still adding new content in a last-ditch attempt to surprise us when the final game is released?

Well with the campaign being released later on there will possibly be some extra content with that.

and yet i see so many people that would get so much satisfaction from a proper military flight simulator, that my heart aches. You insist on playing soccer in a small cramped courtyard with a punctured ball, when there are some green, wide, fine, proper soccer fields outside this palisade. I am telling you this as a fellow flight simmer: since you all enjoy flying so much, and i know the quality of anything that flies in A2 is crap and the premises for A3 are even worse and yet you lot crave to fly, wont you try a proper flight sim and see the beauty of it?

I am not repeating the hateful mantra "dont like it go play something else", im sincerely suggesting you to try and follow your passions...

and yet i see so many people that would get so much satisfaction from a proper military flight simulator, that my heart aches. You insist on playing soccer in a small cramped courtyard with a punctured ball, when there are some green, wide, fine, proper soccer fields outside this palisade. I am telling you this as a fellow flight simmer: since you all enjoy flying so much, and i know the quality of anything that flies in A2 is crap and the premises for A3 are even worse and yet you lot crave to fly, wont you try a proper flight sim and see the beauty of it?

I am not repeating the hateful mantra "dont like it go play something else", im sincerely suggesting you to try and follow your passions...

If I wanted such a deep flight sim though, I would play one. And I do, fairly often. I have to or it wouldn't justify a £120 Saitek X52 Pro xD (j/k)

ArmA doesn't need to be as indepth, but even a flight sim has more detail with just one jet and mostly have more than one jet, even considering how detailed they are.

This thread is for Jets, please discuss any large transport aircraft here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161576-A-Large-Fixed-Wing-transport-aircraft-for-Arma-3

Oh air force you big money wasters you.. while all other branches build on proven frames you keep going for the new shiny over expensive toys..

While the idea of having an aircraft that can inset whatever "undetected" is nice, that requires expensive paint which is not a good solution for a bird that is going to be out of the hangar the most, not to mention angles and paint does not a stealth aircraft make, no such thing.

Kinda looks like a B-2 and a F-22 mated and the offspring got fat but what the hey it could fit Arma's theme and I feel wierdly compelled to model one.

Edited by NodUnit