Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

I would NOT be surprised if the expanded content came at a cost.. like pay to play..... you want tanks .. $30 DLC.. you want jets $30 DLC.... As we already have our first performance based, Play to play content.. AKA Headless Client..

if they add the original planned content in future Dlc you can bet this is the last time i'll support bis.

To be completly honestly, from what i read on the forum I am starting to think I did a mistake in purchasing the deluxe edition...

I just assumed that the lists were not finished as we have seen the F-35 and Alca, Jay Crowe said at some point that the Alca might make it to dev build before release. I gotta agree with the sentiment of the OP (sans tantrum), 1 fixed wing for 3 factions is simply not good enough. Clarification needed.

I think this boils down to timing. They want the official release on 9/12. If they have to include more official aircraft later on in a free DLC, then so be it. I have the supporter edition, so if jets come out in paid DLC I'll still get it free, but I'd be disappointed with the business practice.

I'll just be happy that the game will have an official release, so some of the big patches that broke lots of scripts/missions will be less likely.

Yeah, "free DLCs" as a way to deliver follow-on content... doesn't feel that different from how we were getting "content packages" as part of stable branch/dev branch updates, it's just that those were delivered alongside/part of patches/new dev builds.

Sure, my follow-on example is from Sleeping Dogs, but its Ghost Pig Pack is free, yet you get content, even if in SD it's mostly cosmetic.

lets just wait until the next sitrep than we will know for sure

Since when did releasing unfinished games become the new standard?
Since the possibility of the project becoming vaporware if you wait too long to officially release.

Since the possibility of the project becoming vaporware if you wait too long to officially release.
Somehow it feels like Arma 3 came closer to that than Unzipped would think or BI would admit... and Jay did outright say that infinite development isn't a guaranteed positive.

The interesting thing to me though is (metalcraze's old remarks about DayZ resourcing vs. Arma 3 resourcing) how Rocket can assert a milestone-based release threshold -- and nowadays on Reddit he's been "I'm not doing more public forecasting on release date and I regret ever doing so"* -- whereas it's Arma 3 that "has to be" held to a time-based release threshold (already implied as early as the Steamworks announcement)...

* Wouldn't be surprised if this is where Jay, Joris and some of the other Arma 3 devs get their "no promises" attitude from. :p

Speaking of jets... has anyone heard out of mandoble? I ask this regarding a hypothetical "official MMA3" as opposed to a spiritual successor.

Edited by Chortles

* Wouldn't be surprised if this is where Jay, Joris and some of the other Arma 3 devs get their "no promises" attitude from. :p
It's an industry standard. If developers mention any dates, no matter how liquid or solid, it becomes a 'written in stone' promise and the chant of "lies" ensues if the date isn't met.

Which is hilarious when you remember how many things were actually cut before the current project lead yet he and the current creative director get the heat when they simply never publicly revisited those items... and when you have the creative director publicly bemoaning promises made by past devs, well... that tells me something about what Arma 4 development may look like.

What's funny is that the community is what makes this game a game. Meaning, people take the BIS made game and build on top of it. I cannot confirm however, from ACE 2 in Arma 2... There will be MANY vehicles out there. As for fixed wing and rotary... Addons... the F16 and the F22 in arma 2 were amazing and we have used them along with ACE non stop. So... who cares if BIS is releasing only 1 fixed wing. Anyone not remember how many vehicles were in Arma 2 when it came out? Now there are 4 DLC MADE BY BIS out there let alone thousands of addons made by community...

Doesnt matter, vanilla should have enough base content to create all kinds of missions with. You can´t make airforce missions with 1 jet.. and that with the biggest map ever. I know that the fixed wing fanatics are the minority in ArmA, but besides the Altis map flying new jets was the biggest thing I was looking forward too combined with making missions for fixed wings.

Rather convenient that they seem to have chosen lack of fixed wing assets under the guise of modern warefare/realism. I was excited for the commanche but not at the expense of the A10 f35 etc.

Make the physics/immersion realistic not the scenario, the community can do that quick and easy all we need are the toys!

For me, the OFP/Arma has always been about options. I understand that some people aren't interested in planes. Fine. Don't use them. But don't tell me I shouldn't have the option to use them, or that there's no need for them, or that "Arma isn't a flight sim. Go play ...". Does Arma simulate flight or does it not? I realise it's an infantry-focused game, surely fixed-wing aircraft are a huge threat to and prize target for infantry and ground-based vehicles.

To re-hash the aircraft that is least-suited to the scenario and have it as the only manned fixed-wing aircraft is strikes me as odd. All previous titles shipped with relevent planes? Why go backwards?

Surely, if they can cobble together that L-blah blah trainer thing to a standard fit for release in their latest flagship title, the same could've been done with two of the proper, frontline aircraft?

Still, fingers crossed for this to be addressed post-release.

The thing is, going by the extended alpha list and prior screenshots, there were only two fixed-wing fighters ever revealed for Arma 3... and this "L-blah blah trainer thing" was one of them. :p

An interesting thing is at if the August 10th video is representative of the launch vehicle inventory (i.e. no surprises waiting) then there will be some degree of factional asymmetry at launch -- Independent/AAF having the only fixed-wing fighter, with both AA and CAS versions, but its only helo being an unarmed transport, albeit one with double the passenger capacity of the other two military factions' transports. Also, while both OPFOR and BLUFOR have fixed-wing UAVs, I have yet to see one with an AA armament...

For me, the OFP/Arma has always been about options. I understand that some people aren't interested in planes. Fine. Don't use them. But don't tell me I shouldn't have the option to use them, or that there's no need for them, or that "Arma isn't a flight sim. Go play ...". Does Arma simulate flight or does it not? I realise it's an infantry-focused game, surely fixed-wing aircraft are a huge threat to and prize target for infantry and ground-based vehicles.

To re-hash the aircraft that is least-suited to the scenario and have it as the only manned fixed-wing aircraft is strikes me as odd. All previous titles shipped with relevent planes? Why go backwards?

Surely, if they can cobble together that L-blah blah trainer thing to a standard fit for release in their latest flagship title, the same could've been done with two of the proper, frontline aircraft?

Still, fingers crossed for this to be addressed post-release.

Exactly Chops, options and freedom, why are they spending so much time on missions, campaigns, and the shooting galleries....

Most absurdly detailed shooting galleries ever but hardly any fixed wing lol......

A3 looks great but I find it hard to believe throwing in a F35, Mig etc is too much to ask when there is moving shooting galleries and skeet shooting, not to mention that super arty tank thing. Wouldn't the community much rather have aircraft than arty assets? I find arty so uncivilized, but that's just me.. At any rate BI is doing a great job and I guess we will just have to wait longer for some fixed wing fun...

I'm doubly annoyed with this one jet since I already bought it in the ACR DLC.

Would be nice to get an official reasoning for why jets were more or less cut. Honestly can't call this combined arms anymore.

Edited by Trauma.au

Why is there no F-35? Why only that little knock off L-39? Why is BIS doing this to us.... BIS has turned into EA. BIS has sold us out like the rest.

Why is there no F-35? Why only that little knock off L-39? Why is BIS doing this to us.... BIS has turned into EA. BIS has sold us out like the rest.
I don't see how we've been sold out.

Calm down, it's disappointing for sure but leave the kiddie bs in the playground.

I don't see how we've been sold out.

Why aren't we getting this? http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Arma3_screeenshot_PCGUS_05_exclusive.jpg I knew there was some catch with them selling the full game for $34......there's always a catch.......And they will probably give some lame excuse for it not being there too. You guys had all this time to make these pointless "drills" but couldn't even get the F-35 on release?..

tbh, im generally disappointed with this games forecast content for release. You can bet your sweet ass that if they didn't have the cash already that content would be in. As it stands we have the largest island that's ever been made but a quarter of the content to travel around it and to shoot with. One of the things I loved the most about the arma series was the wealth of weapons and vehicles.

Edited by Bigpickle

Why aren't we getting this? http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Arma3_screeenshot_PCGUS_05_exclusive.jpg I knew there was some catch with them selling the full game for $34......there's always a catch.......And they will probably give some lame excuse for it not being there too. You guys had all this time to make these pointless "drills" but couldn't even get the F-35 on release?..
The single player campaign will be distributed in three FREE DLC's after release. I would hope they introduce a BLUFOR and OPFOR aircraft in those.

But I do agree with people that are frustrated that some things are in while others are out. Seems like some messed up priorities. I'll wait until we see what's coming in the free DLCs before I grab my pitchfork and light my torch.

Maybe because people who make the missions aren't the same who are making the vehicle ?

Even if there isn't any F35 in the game, I keep my signature's image. :D