Sign in to follow this  
fasterthanlight

Rain

If I remember correctly, when the Alpha first came out, rain was a selectable feature. After a release or so, I think it was removed.

I thought that I would wait for the BETA to be set before I asked about this feature not being there.

I have tried to select rain for a mission, but it is not available, even if you select the overcast storm icon before trying.

If it was removed, I don't remember seeing a post on it.

Is this feature not available again yet?

It was removed a long ago in the Alpha for improvements, probably just visual\sound. Curious to see what is coming.

yea can't wait for my first rainy night op :)

maybe a little teaser screenshot or just some calming words from the devs? wouldn't hurt.

yea can't wait for my first rainy night op :)

maybe a little teaser screenshot or just some calming words from the devs? wouldn't hurt.

I think a dev mentioned that it is on their tasklist but hasn't been worked in yet. Sorry no link since I am on mobile and is a pain in the rear to search and post.

I believe the devs have said that they are not happy with the "effects" or words to that effect, it is on their list of things to do...

I already started this exact topic about 2 months ago. Search please. Search rain and you will find "where did the rain go?". I wanted to make it rain without complete overcast.

I'm surprised to see that no one has made a rain mod yet, lol.

I'm sure its possible to do via scripting.

I'll be doing my own rain fx for my Stalker island once the majority of it is done- unless BI is really well done...

I'm not holding my breathe. I think it was Dwarden who said in the development branch thread that it is on their list but they haven't even started work on it yet. So instead of leaving it enabled and in a meh state, they disabled it months ago and left us with 0 ability to do rain. Kinda shoddy...

Why is it shoddy? Surely you would want "good" rain rather than "shit" rain?

Yea but "shit" rain is better than no rain. :)

I love some good rain - would be nice if it would run down the hills visually. And thunder - thunder is great.

Water of any kind other than ocean would be great...

I cant remember the rain being bad at all unless it was a performance issue?

It didn't take any performance, just didn't look up to snuff with the update to A3's visuals. Rain has essentially remained the same from Operation Flashpoint, that is to say, a layered texture. In some cases it would clip or create an odd mirror room effect, even worse, pending your post processing settings it could outright vanish, likewise when wearing NVG's. It also did not effect the environment, people, or objects in any way.

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2013/03/full-1799-52981-arma3_2013_03_08_10_28_41_08.jpg

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2013/03/full-1799-52982-arma3_2013_03_08_10_44_14_93.jpg

I know quite a bit of people are holding out for something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxnETZ6RZk but don't get your hopes too high.

Bit of a shame because rain effected by lights would be another nice boon to the new lighting system and wet..ness would be awesome but that would require a template in the rvmat to set a more glossy tone for the difference.

Edited by NodUnit

The "shit" rain topic has turned into a real shitstorm!

and wet..ness would be awesome but that would require a template in the rvmat to set a more glossy tone for the difference.

i'm not sure how this would work but pretty much all rvmats already have a specular setting. wouldn't they just have to put that at maximum?

I love some good rain - would be nice if it would run down the hills visually. And thunder - thunder is great.

BIS is considering adding particle physX...

I think his point is that it's better to have a shitty placeholder while they work on a completely new technique for handling rain then to have no rain at all.

My personal opinion is exactly that as well, I'd rather have shitty 2001 era rain effects until later in the beta/full release then to have nothing.

On another note (And not a reply) maybe they're removing the rain to add a completely new technique in the engine, instead of just retexturing/revising the sound?

i'm not sure how this would work but pretty much all rvmats already have a specular setting. wouldn't they just have to put that at maximum?

For the most part yeah, the specular power would need to be higher to create the more glossy and darkening effect, but as it stands we are unable to change rvmats ingame..much as I wish we could..

BIS is considering adding particle physX...

I hope consideration becomes more of a decision in favor of.

I know quite a bit of people are holding out for something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxnETZ6RZk but don't get your hopes too high.

Bit of a shame because rain effected by lights would be another nice boon to the new lighting system and wet..ness would be awesome but that would require a template in the rvmat to set a more glossy tone for the difference.

Nope, I'm waiting for this

Nope, I'm waiting for this

I saw no rain in that Simul Weather video.

Yeah, I would love to see that 2007 Nvidia rain tech demo implemented in gaming. I mean I know tech demos usually mean all focus on both rendering and processing are given to the purpose of the tech demo (in this case rain rendering) but come on, it's 2007. GPU and CPU performance have increased by magnitudes since then and there's no reason we can't see something like that in games today. Once again... Cryengine 3 does it just fine and dynamically.... no reason a 2013/2014 game can't either.

Well really hope this long wait with no rain is worth it. I just would like to hear that they actually started work on it at all.

So far lightning doesn't make any sound... I hope that we will get an awesome lightning sound!

You sure? I could swear there was some thunder before..