Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Not liking the new Fatigue system - Jogging should not be penalised

I have been close to exhaustion several times, what I can say is nothing near Arma simulation or even reproductible in a game. Moslty due to long effort and loosing minerals through dehidratation, the simptoms were: stomach cramps, heavy movement, slower reactions, vome sensation, muscular pain, heavy breath etc. Still, nothing like the imposibility to aquire a target or blury vision.

In 2035 everyone will have perfect vision due to laser eye treatment for free on the NHS :)

player enableFatigue false

This command was fixed in the last build. It allows unlimited sprinting. No need to continue this pointless debate now.

No need to continue this pointless debate now.

I, personally, thought it was interesting to hear different peoples opinion.

It's those tactical goggles which gets fogged. Quite frankly i like this feature as a formed paintballer and airsofter, last time i spent good 10 minutes lying in pool of water with-in enemy positions as a result of failed assault into opponents positions, all i saw was strudy layer of fog in my mask and all i heard was volumes of paintball fire directed at my general location... In this light i never really understood use of tactical goggles in combat conditions when changes are that during heavy physical efforts, lots of sweating and breathing goggles will get fogged and person is pretty fundamentally combat ineffective (i know i have been!). Same goes for eyeglasses in freezing temperatures, i fecking loved livefire-exercises in offensive exercises because of fogging. Even instructor took me as an idiot because i didn't dare to shoot all targets as i wasn't sure is it my combat buddy or pop up target.

So blur should stay, even get increased effect (and add sound of laughing clown aswell), but only with goggles. Maybe with shades aswell. That should teach those tacticool-idjiits some lesson, yeah baby yeah.

I say this with slight sarcasm and humor. Because quite frankly goggles does seem dangerous military hardware anywhere but in photo shoots, in my eyes (which have been covered by fog thousands of times).

Edited by Second

As we can disable fatigue now ;) i suppose the one we have here should go into ACE style even more. The blur although is indeed rather unrealistic.

I´ve come to agree with the other guys here, whhile I like the fact that you get tired, I really dislike the extreme blur and the extreme breathing. They are both overdone.

I wouldn't say overdone, rather, you character gets *exausted* way too fast. Those type of things should be extremes...

Guys, seriously. If you want a "fun" version of ArmA 3, then you shouldn't even play it.

You'd rather play the previous ones? Then play the previous ones!

I just don't get how you want a realistic game and then complains that your character can't run marathons with full military gear.

Here's what you guys should do:

1. Bring lesser gear

2. Use vechicles when possible

3. Take brakes when moving in foot over long distances, or walk

Geez -.-

player enableFatigue false

This command was fixed in the last build. It allows unlimited sprinting. No need to continue this pointless debate now.

So the entire command wasn't working until now??

i described it a few pages back. it worked on the actual value and the blur effects. now it's like an inbuilt cheat. sprint all day long.

Being a regular player of the ACE2 mod, which I guess throws me into the "Hardcore realism tacticool" group, I have no issue with a stamina system. I've never noticed a blur problem in any of the time that I've played A3A because I'm the most efficient inventory managing virtual soldier anyone could possibly be. With a loadout of: Primary assault rifle, sidearm, attachments for assault rifle, and some medkits/grenades, and all that default soldier stuff, I've had no problem. It's a hell of a lot more forgiving then ACE from what I've seen, which is fine.

Someone on the second or third page of this thread mentioned that jogging isn't penalized enough, and I have to agree. In ACE2 (One of the most used Arma mods next to DayZ) if you get fatigued you'll trip over yourself, blink, hear a loud heartbeat, have blurred vision, sometimes pass out. Sometimes you'll have to crawl your way somewhere, or have a medic fix you up with morphine/epi-pens, etc.

Compared to ACE this is cupcake stuff.

If the blurring is a huge problem then maybe they should tone it down a tiny bit, but from what I've seen it's fine, and hasn't been intrusive. (I have post processing on low, if you're wondering).

Personally I say bring it on. Make us HAVE to take a vehicle. Make all the soldiers 300lb donut eating slobs with heart problems and put drive through Burger Kings every few miles for all I care.

The most immersive part of this game for me is playing with friends and hearing someone say "I gotta take a breather" and then maybe someone will offer to carry his mags/belts. Makes you feel like

comrades when you have to manage stupid little things like that every now and then.

+1 on this

I guarantee most of the people complaining about over the top fatigue are basically sprinting everywhere. You need to break the Shift + W habit that you have from most FPS's. If you just do regular run everywhere and SPRINT only when you need it to get to cover you will fatigue-out barely ever (DEV build). In fact I can jog in-game for say 5 minutes and still have enough stamina to break into a sprint (with basic loadout).

sproyd's got an interesting point -- the thing is, sproyd, you've got people here who are talking about penalizing regular run too, seemingly beyond what you're seeing in dev build.

As I mentioned in the "better animations" thread, this is actually the only shooter anywhere near mainstream with four movement speeds -- the mainstream arcadey FPS games don't have Arma's sprint, while their "sprint" is Arma's run; keep that in mind, players.

I think there is alot of miscommunication and misunderstanding here though. I say that I want my player to start suffering from exhaustion after extended periods of jogging while being over-encumbered and another person thinks I want my guy passing out after a 200 metres jog with nothing on me. The mistakes made in ACE's fatigue system wayyy back when, I think has made up alot of peoples mind before they even came here.

Best thing BIS can do is play around with it till they get it how they like, tell us when they've reached that point and ask us what we think about it. Right now I am not sure whether I should be waiting for the fatigue system to be complete or giving input on what I like dislike about it.

the mainstream arcadey FPS games don't have Arma's sprint, while their "sprint" is Arma's run; keep that in mind, players.

I think that it is more accurate to say that most other FPS's run is the equivilant of Arma's sprint, because of the insane speed other shooters give their players.

Edited by -Coulum-

The mistakes made in ACE's fatigue system wayyy back when, I think has made up alot of peoples mind before they even came here.
To say the least!
Best thing BIS can do is play around with it till they get it how they like, tell us when they've reached that point and ask us what we think about it. Right now I am not sure whether I should be waiting for the fatigue system to be complete or giving input on what I like dislike about it.
+1, this prior lack of clarity about fatigue also colored discussions of movement speeds.
I think that it is more accurate to say that most other FPS's run is the equivilant of Arma's sprint, because of the insane speed other shooters give their players.
I'm talking about gameplay functionality, not the speed per se. See, the way I'm looking at things is that for most other FPS' combat pace is the default movement speed and walk is only when ADS, while in Arma 3 they're both separate toggleable speeds and ADS is possible in both. As far as the "getting around/maneuvering with weapon low" speed... in Arma 3 this is the default speed and usually long duration while in those other games it's sprint and more short-duration, and they don't have a dedicated "burst of speed to get into cover" movement speed at all.

Amusingly enough to me, the most common movement speeds I see in player-made COD/BF3 videos are "maneuvering with weapon low" and "walking or stationary while aiming down sights". ;)

I guarantee most of the people complaining about over the top fatigue are basically sprinting everywhere. You need to break the Shift + W habit that you have from most FPS's. If you just do regular run everywhere and SPRINT only when you need it to get to cover you will fatigue-out barely ever (DEV build). In fact I can jog in-game for say 5 minutes and still have enough stamina to break into a sprint (with basic loadout).

This. I can visit every house in Agia pretty fast withou getting PP effects but increasing stamina just bit wouldn't be bad. Just 2s stop here and therdoes the trick. I think those breathing effects are bit overdone. People shouldn't run too much or sprint uphills unless you are in trouble or hurry slow jog does it and this is what the system does pretty well.

I can understand that people don't like the blur effect because I'm not a fan of it myself either but at least it's so annoying that it makes you think and slow down.

What I want to see is to add this new fatigue to the difficulty options so it could be enabled/disabled easily.

I was about to guarantee that most people complaining that fatigue is too forgiving are fat... It's just a joke, of course, but as far I've seen in this thread, a lot of people don't know that regular soldiers are trained to rezist long marches. Some don't even know soldiers have to go on foot sometimes... People who commented here and being in the area of operations (not really regular gamers staying in front of the computer) consider that fatigue effect is too strong already.

"In fact I can jog in-game for say 5 minutes and still have enough stamina to break into a sprint (with basic loadout)."

See? that's nothing wrong with this. As a soldier, probablly you should be able to jogg for one hour and still break into a sprint.

What I'd like to see is that your character regains his breath after you stop running. It seems the breathing sounds continue a little too long. The blur effect I wouldn't mind seeing go. It's a little confusing since I sometimes think I'm injured when the blur comes.

It would also be nice to see your overall weight in the inventory as well as the weight of items.

Personally I find the fatigue blurring to be less realistic. As a person who is out of shape and can run out of breath about as quickly as a heavily laden soldier in arma 3 I can say that my body just quits and demands a rest, breathing becomes very heavy and movement is sluggish.

The only time I've ever had a blurring vision was a day I was out in 102 degrees of weather without drinking ANYTHING, moving heavy utilities around, dehydrated myself and saw a flashing of colors. So yeah...no blurring please, the heavy breathing and sluggish movement is enough to tell us that we need to pause for a breath or that our avatar can't push their body as hard.

+1 exactly its over kill

What I think is missing is the sprint model from A2 with the reason being that it slowed down as you got tired.In A3 you get tired and then the animation switches to run and that feels off to me since we do not just start jogging when being fired on but keep "trying" to sprint even though the speeds drop.So many times I get this feeling with the non-chalant pace of running.

I like the screen effect, I like any screen effect that helps give feed back on my in game character, For the fatigue I would prefer a bit more blur and darkening of edges and have the audio slightly toned down.

I've played a bit of top level league back in the day along with a few other high powered sports, when you are on about your third wind after a few hours training your eyes become very blurry and also stingy from the sweat pouring down from your forehead.. It would be great if they could somehow simulate heavy breathing through animation, but I guess the audio is covering that.

I don't think we should compare everything to real life, there's lots of things that happen to your body when under stress including vomiting, whimpering like a bitch, usually a great need for spitting and the over whelming need for liquid, could never get enough water!... You can't simulate all these things, otherwise it would have to become a human body simulator as opposed to a shooter.

So I think BI are on the right track as the blur and sweat in eyes definitely happens after a long period intense physical training, and the sweat would be a lot more pronounced I imagine when carrying/wearing military garb.

when you are on about your third wind after a few hours training your eyes become very blurry and also stingy from the sweat pouring down from your forehead

key word "hours", not minutes...

Back to OP....the OP was whether you like the fatigue effects when running?I think people are missing the point here.For me I say no but its great for when sprinting.Way to do this is to have slow regain of stamina when running to remove the effects.Maybe have a poll on this?