Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Beta isn't actually that far away

Beta targeted for Q2 ?....Im still waiting for the big optimization patch :confused:

I'm still waiting for the whole thing actually ... if beta is that close then we can all go close those tickets and threads,and start a new arma 2-like adventure :)

The improvement on arma 2 on the alpha from a gameplay POV is not really interesting ... and i don't see how they can bring a BIG change before June ... i was expecting beta to come out in around a year from now !

Well I would certainly hope they add quite a bit more content for the beta before they release it...

I have both games. I got a hold of BF3 in Alpha back in June of 2011 and it was terrible. Also, it took Dice 4 months to iron out all the bugs after the release in Oct. of 2011..... it wasn't stable until February or March of 2012.

We're talking about performance... and sadly A3 is very far to be acceptable under this aspect. There's no justification for this, apart the fact that we're in alpha.. but this justification is accepted ONLY if we assume that the final product will give much better performance (double fps, minimum, of what we're experiencing today... but realistically, i dunno how this could happens if they stick with this old engine.

Some players are reporting 80 to 100 fps.

I do 300 fps as well... in the menu. :)

One last thing: Have you checked Steam Lately? The ArmA series has owned Steam's top 10 list in sales for the past 11 months. DayZ and ArmA 3 have kept BIS in the top 10 for 11 months straight. Your theory about "hype" is wrong. Most people buy games by word of mouth or what the critics are saying. Check PC gamer or Rock, Paper, Shotgun....they all are giving ArmA 3 great reviews and it is only the Alpha.

One word: DayZ. And A3 alpha sold because of the whole DayZ echo. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserves the success (i don't play that CoD clone called BF3), but that we need a solution for this performance issue, or we'll end again with a niche game that was ArmA2 (before DayZ come...), damn even the hardcore ArmA players are leaving it because of the bad performance.. how you could ignore this huge huge huge problem.

One word: DayZ. And A3 alpha sold because of the whole DayZ echo. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserves the success (i don't play that CoD clone called BF3), but that we need a solution for this performance issue, or we'll end again with a niche game that was ArmA2 (before DayZ come...), damn even the hardcore ArmA players are leaving it because of the bad performance.. how you could ignore this huge huge huge problem.

I agree with you, 100%.

or we'll end again with a niche game that was ArmA2 (before DayZ come...)

I can only wish ArmA3 became a niche game again.

At least CoD kids demanding stupid stuff seem to went silent more or less - since their attention span of 1 week max for any game has reached its limit.

And keep in mind guys that all those buildings are still without interior. Say goodbye to your frames once you enter the biggest town on Altis with many buildings full of furniture.

Has a dev said anything about "full of furniture" for the buildings in Altis?

I can only wish ArmA3 became a niche game again.

At least CoD kids demanding stupid stuff seem to went silent more or less - since their attention span of 1 week max for any game has reached its limit.

You're naive.. without DayZ there were good chances that you wouldn't have seen ArmA3 at all (neither today.. nor in the future and probably not into this "form"). The game industry today is something different than it was in the past... but i wouldn't open a (very) off topic chit-chatting about it, not here at least.

Altis will probably cut everyone's FPS in half lol

So I'll be getting 10 FPS instead of 20? :p

So I'll be getting 10 FPS instead of 20? :p
No Good Answers, Only Least Bad: The Story of Arma. :-P

And keep in mind guys that all those buildings are still without interior. Say goodbye to your frames once you enter the biggest town on Altis with many buildings full of furniture.

Hopefully they will do something about this.

An not to mention they'll probably charge $60-$70 dollars for BF4 for a comsole port for a game just revamped for consoles, vs a game thats been in development for what 3-4 yrs now, just to play with a bunch of 10 yr old hackers. i say however bring on BF4 so all those griefers will leave ArmA series alone. On topic when it's done, it's done. Just hope the size of Altis does'nt kill my hopes being I'm atm barely able to scratch of ArmA2 fps on a secondary island has me a little concerned what kinda of frames to expect on Altis

Yep, unless they create some kind of occlusion LOD that would prevent anything from one side to be rendered depending on how you looked at it. In this way you could have a very densely populated structure but not be rendering it from the outside and likewise not render the outside from within. Crysis did something like this for virtually every level but especially the carrier. http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/VisArea+and+Portals originally meant for lights to have their own system indoors and out, it had an interesting side feature of being a frame preserver.

Ultimately one way or another Arma is going to collapse under it's own ambition performance wise, there are too many options being forced on at all times and no steps being taken (that we've heard of thus far) to try and make city area's run better (a big problem when they keep trying to expand on this). A deadzone from the inside and out would make any clutter in or out irrelevant, allowing you to go from a lively outdoors area to a heavily furnished indoor area without your computer begging for sweet release.

That depends entirely on what kind of occluding techniques/third party software they use. There are some powerful object occlusion techniques that can allow you to render out an entire city with buildings populated with geometry that is occluded from the camera, and thus does not have an impact on framerate.

To see what I mean, check out Unity3d.

In the latest sitrep (or whatever they are called), we were reminded that Beta is still targeted for Q2. If you take a look at what Q2 is, you'll see that it goes from April - June (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_quarter_of_a_calendar_year#Subdivisions).

Another small hint to when it is coming out is listed on the Steam store page for ArmA 3 regarding Alpha Lite:

It has been previous mentioned that the Alpha Lite will be disabled before Beta release. My guesses is that the beta is aimed for somewhere between June 18th - June 30th. If you think about it, that's really not that far away.

Stay patient fellow arma players, beta isn't that far away!

yeah and they said the alpha was going to come out in q3, 2012, then q4, 2012, then just 2012.

but i hope you're wrong anyway, because this game needs a lot more development before beta.

yeah and they said the alpha was going to come out in q3, 2012, then q4, 2012, then just 2012.

but i hope you're wrong anyway, because this game needs a lot more development before beta.

Actually they said the Community Preview would come out around then. Community Preview =/= Alpha.

Probably why they've offered the Alpha deal, to quickly capitalize on the DayZ boost of popularity before it died out. I imagine the reduced pricing was to further entice all the new players into buying it ahead of time, figuring they'd make more off of those guaranteed (and non-refundable) sales than they'd lose from their core "must buy" gamers, who now get it half-price.
You're naive.. without DayZ there were good chances that you wouldn't have seen ArmA3 at all (neither today.. nor in the future and probably not into this "form"). The game industry today is something different than it was in the past... but i wouldn't open a (very) off topic chit-chatting about it, not here at least.
Right, because A3 wasn't announced over a year before DayZ went into development. A2 sold so poorly they didn't even release a full expansion or 3 DLCs... Thanks to DayZ the franchise has been saved from termination... /s

Wow. Yeah. Arma came without Dayz, Arma 2 came without Dayz. I think Arma 3 was plenty well going to show itself without Dayz.

Probably why they've offered the Alpha deal, to quickly capitalize on the DayZ boost of popularity before it died out.

Yes, and they needed "something" to give in change, here it cames the SALE of this Alpha, the "pre-order" is just an excuse the justify the early spreading of the client as a "bonus", while in fact they are selling a (alpha) game using the Steam early version program.

Right, because A3 wasn't announced over a year before DayZ went into development. A2 sold so poorly they didn't even release a full expansion or 3 DLCs... Thanks to DayZ the franchise has been saved from termination... /s

Announced.. that's it. A2 received (and all ArmA in general) received a sales boost only when DayZ arrived, probably they sold more copies the first 3 months of DayZ that what they did in the previous years of the whole ArmA serie. It was really a niche game... until DayZ. You have ArmA3 "today" because of DayZ (sadly...).

Evil corporate Bohemians, capitalizing on the popularity of their franchise. And selling us cheap early access to the next game! How dare they! ;)

Yes, and they needed "something" to give in change, here it cames the SALE of this Alpha, the "pre-order" is just an excuse the justify the early spreading of the client as a "bonus", while in fact they are selling a (alpha) game using the Steam early version program.

Announced.. that's it. A2 received (and all ArmA in general) received a sales boost only when DayZ arrived, probably they sold more copies the first 3 months of DayZ that what they did in the previous years of the whole ArmA serie. It was really a niche game... until DayZ. You have ArmA3 "today" because of DayZ (sadly...).

I should say that this is entirely your own construct and exists only in your own head. I mean: what are you basing this opinion on?

I mean: what are you basing this opinion on?

This is entirely my own construct and exists only in my own head.

Evil corporate Bohemians, capitalizing on the popularity of their franchise. And selling us cheap early access to the next game! How dare they! ;)
You know, after some of the "more like conventional shooters" changes some people here are saying this unironically, and there's "I can only hope this becomes a niche sim again" above. :rolleyes: Though personally I believe that the horse has left the barn on Arma's visibility, thankfully.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the die-down is newcomers becoming fed up with the limited BI-produced content, emphasis on BI-produced, and the narrower nature thereof than what's slated for the beta.