Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Suppression Effect missing in ARMA3

When in a firefight, I know sticking my head out could easily mean certain death, too me that's suppression.

So if you do not stick your head out what problem can you possibly have with added suppression effects if they won't affect you regardless?

You can't blame game for it. If the player you're shooting at calmly returns fire and kills you it's your problem. You complain how easy it is to "put a crosshair over the enemy and hit fire" and yet you are unable to kill and get killed by player that is not facing you.

No one at BIS should listen to players crying about other players aiming faster.

Juvenile reply that completely misses the point.

Edited by metalcraze

It is usually supression lovers who miss, they need the crutch to buy them time to get the second shot into a helpless target.

Might as well be hunting defenceless animals.

Yes because suppression effect in ArmA2 made you so defenseless.

All other shooters, realistic and even some arcade ones now have suppression but for ArmA it's of course a big no. Just like fatigue, good job removing that one. Certainly got in the way of our Elite Tier 1 operators who just want to grind frags in a respawn pvp.

Edited by metalcraze

I guess you had a change of heart?

no man. no change of heart. Am still for suppression for player and AI alike and agree that it is a needed mechanic. But am also tired of seeing well thought out arguments intended to enhance the immersion in the game get drowned out by the myopic complaining of a very vocal and repetitive few. So i decided to go bat for the other side.

Then show me the point please. Because so far I read that you're unable to "put a crosshair over the enemy and hit fire" and you're sad because others can.

It has to do with many people simply wanting to score frags without thinking.

And to justify some unfair disadvantage for players that (compared to you) can "put a crosshair over the enemy and hit fire" you make such inane statements. Frankly, if I was squad leader in some coop mission I'd pick any of those frag scoring players rather than you because they can at least hit the enemy.

It's a fact that most people play with respawn/revive and thus "it's enough that we will think twice about our char's life" is just an excuse.

And in the end, you want it for missions with respawns. Is this some kind of double-think?

From all this I can't conclude nothing else that you're just crybaby, calling for disadvantages for fair PvP players because you can't explain your aim suckiness with nothing else than lack of realism.

EDIT: You may feel that fast aiming is too easy. You may be right. But the change needs to affect all players.

Edited by batto

you're unable to "put a crosshair over the enemy and hit fire" and you're sad because others can.
players that (compared to you) can "put a crosshair over the enemy and hit fire" you make such inane statements.
if I was squad leader in some coop mission I'd pick any of those frag scoring players rather than you because they can at least hit the enemy.
I can't conclude nothing else that you're just crybaby, calling for disadvantages for fair PvP players because you can't explain your aim suckiness with nothing else than lack of realism.

Your juvenile insults left me completely speechless. It's like I've stepped into a kindergarten thread. Says a lot about "anti-suppression" camp really.

Just FYI I never complained that my aim sucks but go ahead.

Edited by metalcraze

Says a lot about "anti-suppression" camp really.

I'm not in any camp.

Just FYI I never complained that my aim sucks but go ahead.
The main problem here however is that we as players know that nothing on the screen is real. There's no psychological pressure or fear and thus unless you will kill a player - he will calmly return fire until he kills you.

I read it as indirect complaint of being unable to kill enemy players. Aren't you calling for disadvantage for enemy players that you're shooting at (and not hitting)?

+1 for suppression effect. Games just don't create the same "Oh shit" feeling that happens when you're getting fired at for real.

Yes because suppression effect in ArmA2 made you so defenseless.

All other shooters, realistic and even some arcade ones now have suppression but for ArmA it's of course a big no. Just like fatigue, good job removing that one. Certainly got in the way of our Elite Tier 1 operators who just want to grind frags in a respawn pvp.

I guess you never tried being fully loaded and noticed that you are completly unable to sprint now in the latest Dev Build?

As usual, talking about sex and never had your hole yet.

And yes, lets copy other "authentic" games as they deemed a shit effect to be a worthy addition.

BIS need to innovate instead of copying shite, which they tend to do thankfully.

I can put up with suppression to A2 levels, but when it goes to BF3 bullshit then it is time to uninstall A3.

BF3 is uninstalled BTW, as is Origin. EA get not one penny more from me thanks to suppression and pishy blue filters. I vote with my wallet.

Guys it's not just a BF3 gamey effect, VBS2 also has it and I believe that's considered a simulator/training tool :rolleyes:

Also adrenaline doesn't always give you the sharpened visual acuity effect -for those unaccustomed it can lead to adrenaline dumps which will impede all performance. Happens to many 1st fighters inside the ring where the buildup stress is just too much and can lead to bad case of the jitters to as bad as total shut down. It would make sense in the game if it was directly tied to rank and/or skill level while weathered grunts would have already adapted to it.

Personally such effects don't bother me at all, I kind of like the challenge of surviving through some mental haze -anything that doesn't make my crosshair TOTALLY unmanageable.

+1 for suppression effect. Games just don't create the same "Oh shit" feeling that happens when you're getting fired at for real.

Game also don't create the same "Oh shit" feeling in countless other "Oh shit" situations. I prefer feeling it myself over watching it on screen. Optional suppression effect? Whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... Forced? Hell no.

I read it as indirect complaint of being unable to kill enemy players. Aren't you calling for disadvantage for enemy players that you're shooting at (and not hitting)?

No I'm calling for an additional layer of complexity for the gameplay. How can there be a disadvantage to the other player if he can just as easily shoot back and put the attacker under the same effect?

Besides I'm not asking this to be added in PvP only, I'm also asking this to be added in Coop as well. Where if only AI would've suffered suppression effects it would give even more unfair disadvantages to a player than he already has.

Stress isn't something a soldier can control. Suppression effect also works greatly in RO2. It easily makes people survive better there forcing them into cover.

And I'm not asking for a crappy BF3 effect either. ArmA2 effect was perfect. No blur. No black and white colors. Just a slight weapon shake and a brighter image to give a visual feedback that you are getting suppressed.

People, are you see difference between complicated adrenaline system and blurred screen? But what that mean - everytime when someone put the bullet close to you - you will stuttering like puppy 10 seconds?

I agree to make "adrenaline" effect bun...

WMlLyKIx.png

For very! short! moment you have "heart effects" (maybe "breathe" too) and increasing swaying when bullet hit the ground in your "scare radius".

No I'm calling for an additional layer of complexity for the gameplay.

There's no need (and even desire from some player) for such layer of complexity to be forced onto players.

How can there be a disadvantage to the other player if he can just as easily shoot back and put the attacker under the same effect?

Simply because the player that'll have bullets falling nearby will be in disadvantage FIRST unable to accurately fire back to activate same effect on the player that started shooting (... and didn't hit so far ...).

Stress isn't something a soldier can control.

How can you simulate stress? Are bullets landing nearby really the only source of stress you know?

Suppression effect also works greatly in RO2. It easily makes people survive better there forcing them into cover.

I hate suppression effect even in RO2 (otherwise it's great game). How it helps players to survive doesn't justify forcing it on all players.

And I'm not asking for a crappy BF3 effect either. ArmA2 effect was perfect. No blur. No black and white colors. Just a slight weapon shake and a brighter image to give a visual feedback that you are getting suppressed.

... with opt-out possibility for all.

I'm enough suppressed when I'm being fired. I don't need any damn probably some kind of blur effects to kill my vision when it's already enough hard to survive when someone suppress. In Arma 2 J.S.R.S. sounds are so dam good that you automatically panic when someone is shooting at you.

I think we can all agree that it takes a bit to return accurate fire when you first get fired upon.Now I have not read the whole thread so this may have been suggested already and got blown to smithereens.And so I apologize in advance.What about a suppression effect when you first get fired on that causes a severe sway to occur like when you are maximally fatigued and takes two seconds to subside starting when you bring up sights.

I don't think there should be suppression effects for the player, it's not necessary. I think Tpw suppression mod had some screen shake and slight change of colors, I didn't like that.

What is important, is to have suppression effects for the ai, so they'll run to cover, and are unable to return fire while being suppressed. Tpw had that nailed with that mod.

It is usually supression lovers who miss, they need the crutch to buy them time to get the second shot into a helpless target.

Well suppressive fire is most usually supplied by machine-gunners, who are naturally inaccurate to begin with. And yes IRL its used as a crutch to get a better shot in. Among other things.

I don't think a random close round should have any effect on you, the sonic crack out of the blue with good headphones/speaker can make suprise you in its own.

I do think there should be a suppressed effect if steady rounds are hitting very close to you. As I stated before I don't think aiming mechanics should not be effected, but a slight visual tunnel effect around the edge of the screen, much like the very start of a blackout in a flight sim and the deadening of audio effects would be a good indication you are suppressed. Much like auditory and visual exclusion that happens in real life during high stress events. You can still aim fine, but have less peripheral vision as people in high stress situations do tend to focus on the threat only. Auditory exclusion is also prevalent in high stress.

You play with revive and respawn and have endless lives and yet you make fun of other peoples aim?

Dude, the day you will stop playing respawnvive missions will be the day that you will be entitled to mock other players' skills.

People who play without the respawns didn't need the "extra fireworks" for suppressive effects. They are satisfied with the natural.

People who play without the respawns didn't need the "extra fireworks" for suppressive effects. They are satisfied with the natural.

And you can speak for all "People who play without the respawns" because?

And you can speak for all "People who play without the respawns" because?

Because common sense when you have bullets hitting near you and you won't respawn.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Even with respawn, death is feared because it can take time to get back to your previous location. If you play with a revive script, that's your fault if you don't like it. Complain to the mission designers because BIS will not change the game to make a few missions better. You know what, if suppression is such a big deal to you, if there isn't already I will get you a script for the suppression effect you crave.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Edit: nm there is one, so why do you guys not use it? Or add it into the mission?

Because common sense when you have bullets hitting near you and you won't respawn.

Even with respawn, death is feared because it can take time to get back to your previous location. If you play with a revive script, that's your fault if you don't like it. Complain to the mission designers because BIS will not change the game to make a few missions better. You know what, if suppression is such a big deal to you, if there isn't already I will get you a script for the suppression effect you crave.

Edit: nm there is one, so why do you guys not use it? Or add it into the mission?

Dunno if all you said is directed to me, but if you look at my post, I never said I was for or against a suppression effect for players..

I just find it funny how Anachoretes claims that people who play without respawn dont need the extra effects, and that they are "satisfied with the natural".

I dont feel like taking part of yet another endless discussion, my only point is speak for yourself.

Because common sense when you have bullets hitting near you and you won't respawn

Exactly. Dev's can add some post-process. But someone, again, writes that these effects cause him migraines and it will become just an option.

claims that people who play without respawn

It was sarcasm for the previous speaker because it's slightly off the point.

I think, sometimes you can talk on the radio, listen to talks, stunned by helicopters or large-caliber guns and didn't recognize the bullets hit nearby. You body react only for sensors information - ears, eyes, skin. And these "visuals" gives you are super powers. Because the game can't recognize when you really notice it, and when not.