Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Thief 4: Yet another console port turd

Thief’s redesigned Garrett created to appeal to “modern audience of today’s console marketâ€

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/14/thiefs-redesigned-garrett-created-to-appeal-to-modern-audience-of-todays-console-market

As if Thief 3 wasn't consolized enough....

Edit: corrected. meant to say Thief 3.

Thief 2 was very good.

Edited by jblackrupert

Thief 2 wasn't consolized. That was Thief 3 which was OK because most of its problems came from small levels.

Still whenever dev says "we need to appeal to modern console audience" I'm amazed how console players are never insulted and swallow it.

I mean those devs always make it sound exactly like using 'mentally challenged' in place of a 'retard'.

Looking bad. One of the best classic PC games rape incoming.

I hope I'm wrong... Deus ex human revolution was a good game, but all the statements from the devs I read make me pesimistic about it.

Nothing I have read that makes me feel excitement. Worse, it seems that they haven´t the correct scope about the game, and they aren´t in the good path to make a good thief game.

Edited by Down8

Bad times, every great franchise it's been ruined by their modern sequels.

The last has been Hitman, but Thief 1 & 2 hurts more because they are older game that deserves a good modern continuation that take advantage of the technology to enhance its virtues.

Next stop: System Shock. The end of the world.

In a few years they'll re-release the original ZORK but for modern gamers...\

You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded

front door.

There is a small mailbox here.

> Shoot mailbox

Sorry, you cannot do that here!

> Attach C4 to Mailbox

Sorry, you do not have C4 in this game.

> Fuck you game!

Sorry, I do not understand that command

> WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THIS IS TOOO HARD!!!!!!!!

* Game proceeds to complete itself*

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE COMPLETED ZORK, THE GREAT UNDERGROUND EMPIRE: CONSOLTARD EDITION!

Edited by jblackrupert

And there goes another great game series, butchered to appeal to the console crowd...

Soon A2/A3 and the DCS series will be the only games on my Desktop.

I'm so sick of this weak as piss, preorder/season pass, falsely promoted and reviewed console port BULLSHIT.

Since BIS and ED are some of the few developers that support my preferred platform exclusively, I'll continue to support them.

The others won't be getting anymore money from me, I'm sick of watching these idiots wreck franchise after franchise and even sicker of listening to their halfwit justifications as to why they do it :rolleyes:

Edited by BangTail

Yep, a other example on how the bussines is going down the drain just so a couple off guys can make some more money,good and/or great games are a thing off the past!

Yep, a other example on how the bussines is going down the drain just so a couple off guys can make some more money,good and/or great games are a thing off the past!

Indeed.

Of course the next 'OMFG you must have it, it reinvented the wheel, it's the 2nd coming' etc release will be Bioschlock Infinite (DLC).

I was excited about Bioshock Infinite (DLC) but then I saw the ubiquitous announcement of the 'season pass' (an automatic 'do not buy' flag for me at this point).

The 'Season pass' basically pre tells you that the game you are preordering has been pre-divided and that it would be a good idea (for the publisher) if you prepaid them with no preconception of what you are pre-purchasing and absolutely no recourse should the pre-purchased content in question turn out to be predictably below the standard of your prenotions.

In conclusion, take precautions :D

Edited by BangTail

Oh dear... yet another console turd - that's exactly what I wanted to say.

I'll check out this game but I don't think I'll spending cash on it.

This was supposed to be a highly anticipated PC exclusive game and now I see they're watering the title down to fit for analphabet-console market. Hell no.

It's about being a conscious consumer, by buying such products we're giving them green light for making more console turds.

Still whenever dev says "we need to appeal to modern console audience" I'm amazed how console players are never insulted and swallow it.

I mean those devs always make it sound exactly like using 'mentally challenged' in place of a 'retard'.

Haha spot on,appeal modern console audience aka "you're too stupid to open this door,we'll do it for you".

Anyway let's just see how this one develops,DX HR turned out very ok although they really botched it with Hitman.

I think Hitman wasn´t that bad if you played it on a high difficulty setting. I did enjoy it since it provided some neat challenges.

"Thief's director Nicolas Cantin and producer Stephane Roy explain who the new game is for and how games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and Dishonored have helped shape it along the way."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/08/the-goals-and-inspirations-for-thief.aspx

I also like the "explain who the new game is for" bit

It's just hahaha

god he looks gay, like a pvc fetish version of his equally retarded assassins creed cousin...and the ubiquitous bow weapon finding its way into every game now.

the game industry is a mess full of transparent gimmicks designed for clueless imbeciles born in the 21st century.

...and the ubiquitous bow weapon finding its way into every game now.

Thief has always had bows. [Thief 1 - Released 1998]

It takes place in a medieval world, Bows and swords kinda fit.

Edited by jblackrupert

Thief has always had bows. [Thief 1 - Released 1998]

Oh god, how i played that game and i was so scared of the Zombies in the 2nd level xD

I've been lurking on the official website for a bit and read about some changes - my guess is that Eidos is making the developers streamline it, until you can't see any difference between Thief 4 and the other few main titles of the last two years. It's saddening me. I'm kind of glad System Shock wasn't rebooted. They should have let Thief rest in peace after the third part and just started anew with some fresh ideas. But damn it, we all know that these days only the 'dumbed down' and familiar stuff sells.

I've been lurking on the official website for a bit and read about some changes

Anything not covered in the first link? I'm hopeful it will be enough like the first two which were very special games. As mentioned despite some of the silly PR for Deus Ex HR making it sound really shallow it ended up being fairly decent and certainly far better than the 2nd one.

They have 3D modeller of Assassin's Creed 1 as a game director and Assassin's Creed 1 2D artist as a gameplay designer. At least they don't have a programmer doing art and voiceovers. If it will be anything short of a total trainwreck I will be very very surprised.

Oh that is odd, it's like that boss for a day reality tv show!

Anything not covered in the first link? I'm hopeful it will be enough like the first two which were very special games. As mentioned despite some of the silly PR for Deus Ex HR making it sound really shallow it ended up being fairly decent and certainly far better than the 2nd one.

The official forums have rather high activity, so I couldn't find that specific thread, but as this ( http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/14/report-thief-4-development-in-trouble/ ) article says, most of the original team have left. It's some sort of mystery, though. I'm not sure whether they simply left, or did some basic work to be completed by a new team, or really finished all they had to do and aren't needed in the final stages of production. To me, it seems a bit early for them to leave. Also, Eric Brosius wasn't on the team, probably because he was busy with another project, and Paul Weir also left. I think the chances for a good game are realistic, but it probably won't be a good Thief - if there's one thing not to do to that game, it's making it flashy, visually obnoxious (yes, that's how my brain reacts to advanced graphics) and streamline it. By the way, I still haven't finished the new Deus Ex.