NordKindchen

Terrain Improvement (dev branch)

That ground "twisting" is problem since Arma 2. I was surprised that it still exists. :S

I think the parallax mapping would look quite alright if you didn't see it load in a 1.5 meter circle around you. Currently it looks crap.

Apparently this is fixed in the DayZ standalone. Don't know if that's relevant info or not.

bug with parallax mapping.

set terrain details to standard, doesn't look worse, gives you a few fps and stops twisting the ground so objects don't float anymore.

Settings terrain details to standard removes "twisting" ground, but it introduces new problem. Objects far away on skyline looks like floating. There is a huge gap between all objects, even soldiers and ground.

I also love that WIP picture. Would be pretty cool if they haven't dump that down and give us a green one later (in use) or something. Looks pretty accurate about how green the island can get.

The Nord's mid range can be too dark green but it's perfect for PVP because it got so many contrasts that people camouflage in it better. So not 100% accurate but still looks like it the island could look like that but it functions dam well.

The colours are from the time of year. BI base their maps off how they look for 1-3 days in the year.

For example Arma 2 is October 4th.

It's the same in DayZ

Strange, Dean Hall specifically said they fixed this issue during one of the streams right before the alpha launch.

There is another problem with the terrain. If you look at far distances you can see rocks floating in the air on the horizone.

Strange, Dean Hall specifically said they fixed this issue during one of the streams right before the alpha launch.

I don't know what he said or didn't say about it, but it's the same in DayZ nevertheless.

There is another problem with the terrain. If you look at far distances you can see rocks floating in the air on the horizone.

Crank your Terrain Detail as high as possible, preferably Ultra.

Hmm i still dont get it from the first post. this couldnt be released as a mod? So its a thing das BI must make?

Crank your Terrain Detail as high as possible, preferably Ultra.

It fixes that by good amount, but it makes worse that ground "twist" effect aaaand performance hit from grass.

To be honest, I think it would be great if grass and terrain detail options would be seperate. Arma is very complex and resource demanding. More specific graphics options could improve performance on lot systems.

It fixes that by good amount, but it makes worse that ground "twist" effect aaaand performance hit from grass.

To be honest, I think it would be great if grass and terrain detail options would be seperate. Arma is very complex and resource demanding. More specific graphics options could improve performance on lot systems.

Agreed.

The colours are from the time of year. BI base their maps off how they look for 1-3 days in the year.

For example Arma 2 is October 4th.

Exaggerating much? :j:

Exaggerating much? :j:

Exaggerating? Arma 2 was October 3-4th to be precise.

Exaggerating? Arma 2 was October 3-4th to be precise.

In the case of ArmA 3, I doubt the foliage and greenery stays like it is in game for only 1-3 days in real life.

I'ld suggest BIS to remove the cages from safety ladders on cranes and big towers at the photovoltaic power plants. They just glitch through you equipment which looks bad and are a waste of triangles imho.

As I've just had a email from the bug trracker about someone else commenting on this, I couldn't help but look over the original pictures and still be sad that NordKindchen's methods for improving the quality of our terrain for 'free' performance wise seem just as ellusive as they were all those months ago. I really hope that either Nord or someone at BIS (or both!) are still working on possible improvements in this area of the game. Whilst it's not usually in good taste to bump threads, I'd hate to see this post simply slide down the rankings to be forgotten and Nord think nobody still cared if he is working on it.

Nord spent so much time... What is the result?

BI, start looking into Sub Pixels. Using the sub pixel technique could help the overall terrain optimizations, and increase visibility, and even come up with the gap needed to smoothly end view distance.

It amazes me that the Parallax mapping is still busted in this game, and has been since ArmA 2 or possibly even before that. I've resorted to turning Terrain Detail down to Normal just to get rid of it, which is a crappy solution because it makes the terrain look incredibly flat and dull.

Don't lost this thread. I hope many update of it and maybe the incredible work of NordKindChen in the game a day...

Also on water, there are many issue with this old engine.

Don't lost this thread. I hope many update of it and maybe the incredible work of NordKindChen in the game a day...

Also on water, there are many issue with this old engine.

I agree, water does kinda look... idk. Can't explain it. They need to work on making ponds and rivers now. Also, some more distinctive and exotic land features that could really make a difference in visual immersion. I've seen some really cool land features that i'd love to see in an official map.