hellstorm77

Arma 3 Headless Client

Hello,

Any idea when the headless will join the slot reserved for it ?

Can you guys elaborate on this? I've been using a HC and it grabs the correct slot without a problem every time. Once I dropped forceHeadlessClient=1; into the class info for the HC slot in the mission.sqm and set joinUnassigned = false; in my description.ext, the HC just joins the right slot every time. Noone else can join that slot.

Also to verify what a few other folks said, HC's can connect to a passworded server now. Been doing it since 1.10 dropped with no issues.

Can you guys elaborate on this? I've been using a HC and it grabs the correct slot without a problem every time. ...

You will probably encounter the slotting issue if your HC tries to slot before the server parses mission.sqm. You are either lucky or doing something right in regards to startup timing of the HC in relation to the server. Congratulations!

What sort of mission/AI requirements are there in order to make effective use of a HC?

Will it raise client FPS and/or mitigate desync?

I'm having an issue getting my headless client to connect to my server.

I have an arma 3 server hosted through Jest servers, and its up and running fine. I have followed the horrible bread crumbs of documentation on how to setup my main server, and missions to accept a headless client. I have edited the pbo to include the following in a civillian slot for the HC:

init="if (profileName == "HC") then {selectPlayer this};";

forceHeadlessClient=1;

I've also added this command into the server.cfg: localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

So as far as I've been able to determine, everything server/mission side should be setup to accept the headless client.

my command line in the TC admin for the HC is as follows: -client -name=HC -nosound -profiles=HC -connect=XX.X.115.132 -port=2302

where my server is at the same IP and is on port 2302, the HC is on port 2402.

This is how things are at the time of posting this

I have Edited the server.cfg to change the following from: localClient[]={127.0.0.1}; to: localClient[]={XX.X.115.132:2302, XX.X.115.132:2402}; with no HC attempting to connect and have since reset the localclient information back to what it was before.

Since the server and HC are on the same ip, just different ports, should I be using the 127.0.0.1 is in the -connect= area?

I would try this, but the TC admin is a POS and i pretty much have to send in a support ticket to get a proper command line made.

If the server and the HC are on the same PC, use 127.0.0.1 in both conf.

The port must be the port of the server.

-client -name=HC -nosound -profiles=HC -connect=127.0.0.1 -port="port of the server"

Don't forget to add :

battleyeLicense=1;

in th HC arma3profile.

Are you guys seeing improvement with HC? We tried using it on our server with BECTI and noticed that server FPS actually dropped when it was on. Prob a mission thing but I was curious.

well this might be of some info to you then:

Broken link. But if it's Benny's guide to HC, that's the method we used and the method that shows negative results.

Yes, we are implementing HC correctly. We can see the HC in the correct slot, we see CPU resources are being used by HC, and we see a change in server FPS (negative FPS). I would say HC is "working" but it's drawing negative results.

Is there a .bat file anyone wouldn't mind sharing with me for launching ArmA3 HC from an install location not managed by steam?

I like to have several installs, but when I try to load HC to my server it always uses the Steam install directory which doesn't have the right mod setup.

Also every time I launch the HC, it wants to first load Steam. Is there a way to run HC without having to have Steam logged in and running on the dedicated server?

I has made multiple HC tests and I´m not sure if arma3 performance is best because a server with HC drop FPS about a 20%

if I use HC, do I need to do some change in basic-config?

Is there a way to run HC without having to have Steam logged in and running on the dedicated server?

According to Dwarden, no.

According to Dwarden, no.

The HC uses a client .exe or rather (arma3.exe -client).

This requires the steam client installed and running

Edited by Terox
Edited to fix syntax , thx to Dwarden

let me correct it for you : arma3.exe -client ...

Can't connect HC to the server in this 1.12 update,... it get's kicked from the server! Anyone with the same problem!?

P.S. - Solved!!

Edited by Nuno Basto
Problem Solved!

How did you solve?

I've not tried HC's before, Just giving it a go and it gets kicked by BattlEye - client not responding.

It was a server problem, it had a currupted file caused by the update, steam corrected usig the file integrety verification, and problem solved.

HC has some problems with the BE, but because our squad server it's a private server we disabled it.

For those of you who are using HC, are you seeing signficant improvement on server FPS? In BECTI Zerty 1.1.9.3, we can get HC to connect, join the correct slot, and start working but see negative server performance. I realize it's probably the mission but is anyone able to use HC and have large scale battles with AI and not have a drop in server FPS?

In PTSims Squad only use VTS 4.0, and yes we se an improvement! We have been playing with 15-18 players for 4-6H and no one has reported a FPS loss even with +/- 500 AI's with the HC at ~13 FPS and the server at ~32 FPS,... even when i spawn accidentaly over 300 AI's we had a FPS drop for about 10 sec, but after they were spawned everyting went smooth. Without the HC with 200 AI's we had the server at 20-30 FPS and some FPS complains from the players! We also use the tbbmalloc memory allocator from Fred41.

Thanks for the report Nuno. On our server we host 48 players on busy nights and with limited server side AI (resistance) the server is working hard. I'd like to increase the amount of resistance AI that spawn, but in order for this to happen we need HC to be implemented correctly to BECTI.

I agree with VTS 4.0 and one HC we spawned around 700 AI with good performance. But the HC CPU load is only around 30% for all 4 core.

After the latest patch my HC gets stuck on "connecting". Is this related to the patch? What else could it be?

*edit* figured it out steam client had lost connection, rebooted and fixed.

Edited by Rasa-be

Not seeing that. My HC is connecting and working fine but I don't run BattleEye.