Dwarden

How to change Arma 3 branches between STABLE & DEVELOPMENT versions @STEAM client

All installs are set to the stable version of the game by default.

To change this:

• 1. In your Steam client, go to the Library and right (mouse button) click on Arma 3
  • 2. Select Properties (from context menu)
  • [ATTACH=CONFIG]187[/ATTACH]
  • 3. Select the Betas tab
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]188[/ATTACH]
  • 4. 4.Choose either NONE for the Stable version or DEVelopment for the release candidate version of the game
  • 5.Click Close in the lower-right corner of the window

Using the development version of the game could hamper your experience with the game,

with some unfinished assets available.

However, we would greatly appreciate your feedback.

We intend this to involve you more directly in the development process

and give you the opportunity to affect the final game.

Your feedback and bug reports are welcome

and can help us to improve the game significantly.

Please visit http://feedback.arma3.com/

to learn how to submit feedback.

Thank you kindly for your support!

The default version will get updated only after we put it through internal QA. The Development branch will soon become a frequently updated branch by all of our developers: programmers, encoders, artists, designers and more. This may cause it to not work one day and work very well the next, it may contain experimental features, a sneak peak at new content, etc. If you do not want to bother with the risk of a more broken version, you're advised to stick with the default. The DEV Hub will become the source of updates and hopefully changelogs. I believe the first publications to this branch are coming up later today.

video tutorial

from http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183552-Tutorial-Arma-3-RC-Branch-Install-and-Connecting-to-Testing-Servers

Edited by Dwarden

* merges from Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead beta / Take On Helicopters

This is really exciting to see so soon (and in an official form). Are there any details on how best to make use of it or is it simply support for the practice of introducing A2 pbo's via -mod= as is already being done?

This is really exciting to see so soon (and in an official form). Are there any details on how best to make use of it or is it simply support for the practice of introducing A2 pbo's via -mod= as is already being done?

I think Dwarden means merges from the OA 1.63 fixes/features and some more from TOH.

Not related to in-game content.

Ah right, I guess after reading elsewhere that there's something planned for A2 content merging, my body was... well, ready.

Ah right, I guess after reading elsewhere that there's something planned for A2 content merging, my body was... well, ready.

yes it mean engines fixes / additions / tweaks etc. from recent OA beta / TOH builds

How exactly do the updates for Arma 3 alpha work? Will the "stable" alpha get updated to another "stable" version once such has been determined, or will it remain the same through the whole alpha phase of development and only be updated through the dev builds?

yes it mean engines fixes / additions / tweaks etc. from recent OA beta / TOH builds

can't wait, tomorrow?

Where did you read that?

How exactly do the updates for Arma 3 alpha work? Will the "stable" alpha get updated to another "stable" version once such has been determined, or will it remain the same through the whole alpha phase of development and only be updated through the dev builds?

Basically the information from BI is:

stable (not opted into any betas) - A build must pass through QA before being pushed to this branch

development - They plan to let anyone from the dev team push to this branch whenever they feel like it

Where did you read that?

Well it appeared heavily inferred HERE by non other than Dwarden himself though now that this first patch has appeared we might have been reading too much into it.

Aside from that though DnA had already said HERE that "We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed)."

I'm finding that if you are hosting, people without the dev patch cannot join. clients joining get stuck just before being able to pick a slot.

having a multiplayer game with multiple versions being played is nothing new. but usually there's a way to tell if you have the same version as the server you're trying to join...

Well it appeared heavily inferred HERE by non other than Dwarden himself though now that this first patch has appeared we might have been reading too much into it.

Aside from that though DnA had already said HERE that "We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed)."

Thanks!Good to know! Bc all the arma 2 maps ( including user made) looks good on arma 3 besides the bugs!

I'm finding that if you are hosting, people without the dev patch cannot join. clients joining get stuck just before being able to pick a slot.

Click OK and join a slot. May work or it'll download mission w/o selecting slot.

Sniperwolf described it accurately: the default branch will pass through QA before we publish it. We do not promise an exact delivery schedule, but it's more on the order of every two weeks for example.

The Development branch has no limits; any of our team members is able to push out any part of the game at the moment. This means it has the potential to get updated every minute if our team is feeling particularly keen :) This has the high risk of resulting in versions on the Development branch that are malfunctioning (parts of it or even entirely). Any QA we introduce in this branch, means we have to sacrifice flexibility and it will end up becoming days between updates, to the point where the branch loses its use. If you are not wanting to deal with these risks, we recommend you do not participate in this branch.

Note: we are specifically working on a solution for potential troubles of Development branch not spilling over onto default branch servers (seagullception :yay:).

delete

Edited by rebelvg

for announces:

Type: Public Alpha

Branch: Development

Version: 0.5.102980

* merges from Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead beta / Take On Helicopters

* tons of crashfixes

* some fixes

remember it might be more buggy / less stable for some ..

Steam hasn't updated to this build even though I have chosen development build in the beta options. Also my rpt file shows Alpha 0.5.102571 STABLE branch at 12.01pm on 12/03/2013. Any thoughts ?

Looks like it got updated yesterday and just now it reverted due to some reason possibly the seagul bug.

Thanks for the answers Sniperwolf and DnA. Just didn't want to miss the chance to try out the new fixes and/or features while not updating to every new dev build. Sounds like a good plan. :)

Today I've gotten two 13.9mb patches and one 112mb {11.103003} patch is happening right now.

Could do with a thread updated as each build is released detailing all/key changes comes out so we know what functionality to test.

Edited by El_MUERkO

I think they reverted the revert earlier to fix the things it broke but put some fixes in to fix the broken stuff so its all fixed. For me the shadows are back to the previous patch i.e. I now have Ultra back plus the Helicopter mission is now bust as the trigger points don't work. Posted PM re: mission issue. Looks and works well though flying, a few streaming shuddering since last 2 I have found.

Edited by Thr0tt

bis your amazing with todays build ive gained between 20 and 30 fps on some parts of the map what did you do (development build) please dont break it.

windows 7 64 bit

I5 2500 3.3GHZ

GTX 580

8GB DDR3

VELOCIRAPTOR X2 300GB AND 120GB 10000RPM

POWERCOOLER 650W

Thermatake level 10 gt

todays build

was there another build "today" (March 13th)?

what version are you running?

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

tried the latest dev build (again). it runs great for a few seconds, and then turns into a stuttering mess (not something I experienced in previous builds)

I tried it on the editor, with a simple mission I had running fine last night on the 'stable build'