Sign in to follow this  
g_rider

Everyone gets a trophy syndrome has come to ARMA

I disagree.

Bis has Dayz on steam for ARMA while dumbing down the difficulty levels.

ACE and other military addons that could have been promoted haven't been.

DayZ started as an ArmA mod. It exploded and gave BI a large (GIGANTIC) boost in ArmA 2/3 sales. And it is soon a standalone game.

Do you find it weird that they advertise it on Steam?

12-year vet ... doesn't understand how Arma crosshairs work.

Good luck in your search.

You are giving G_Rider more flak than he deserves. He know what this game is all about. His point is that earlier he could filter servers using veteran. Then he knew he could jump into a server and play without crosshair and 3d person (unless they tweaked the settings). Today when you join in a veteran server the settings are equivalent to arma2's cadet.

Sure it's not hard to filter the servers differently, and yes public servers are 99% hopeless running around. Still one cant argue the fact that veteran settings are not what they used to be.

I would stick my neck and say this ... whats the one thing that's the elephant in the room here?

I will mention it, the influx of steam/casual players, this is most evident in the requests at the moment (some very COD like expectations or BF3), and also quite a bit more evident in how those servers are being set (or not), and, if you look at youtube in the most recent week of arma3 videos, play a game of "spot the use of first person view" in the videos, needle in a haystack at some points.

Good or bad, up to you, but, the pattern is most evident my dear Watson :)

Im sure things will spread out more and calm a bit, and I guess the same server end when its just as always to lock into a clan server than random play.

Edited by mrcash2009

Movement has always been a weak spot for this series. The tatical depth, massive open environment, good AI, unbelievable flexibility and modability plus the huge mod community has always been the draw. I'd love to see fluid, life like movement added to that list. I mean even when the step-over command was added it make a huge improvement to the game. I hope for more.

Still one cant argue the fact that veteran settings are not what they used to be.

The differences are interesting.

A2A3VET_zps6932df8f.png

Bottom line, of course - find a server/community that thinks as you do and stick with them.

Wasn't 3rd PV off on Vet in A2? Heh.

Not by default, no.

Well, then this thread loses its point. AFAIR, Vet always was 1st pv for me in ArmA II - must've been pr0 custom servers. :D

I think that's exactly the point - choose the server that suits your playstyle!

Could'nt agree more i must've lost my voice yesterday tellin all the whinners in my server who were complaing how unplayable the "Alpha" was an tryin to explain to them the Alpha process an curent status. kinda like rippin what lil hair out i got. TK'rs griefers simple ban solves that problem . Locking server an only lettin steam friends in seems to have been a hidden assett to steam an ArmA3 8)-

I think the point is being missed that ArmA will support almost any kind of gameplay style - whether its one you enjoy or not. The point is, it CAN support the gamestyle you want.

In this regard, it's never been any different.

Also - and I hate to be this guy - it seems a lot of people are simply using ArmA3 as a released game and expecting their expectations to be met. The game is in alpha, which means there shouldn't be much feedback on the matter of external gameplay and the state of server options for games. If you wish for a moan, all well & good, but I don't think there will be much sympathy for your observations ;)

Meant with love & respect ;)

Well a Gen Y would ask me how much do you think they've dumbed down the series. Since you didn't do that and have done the above I'll make you an honorary Gen Zero.

Grats.

Regardless of what your point is, the insults stop now. We do not tolerate trolling, flaming, or pejorative behaviour on this board. Please find a way to express yourself appropriately.

I think that's exactly the point - choose the server that suits your playstyle!

Yes.

If every server HAD to play by the default preset diffuculities, i would have cared. But since you can toggle everything, it doesn't really matter. Let the casual players play the way they like on public. Go create some hardcore events with even minded clans etc. Or play on servers with the settings you prefer. Create your own even. With whitelists if you prefer that.

And since we're in the alpha without a proper dedicated server tool, servers aren't exactly at their prime yet.

Bis has Dayz on steam for ARMA while dumbing down the difficulty levels.

ACE and other military addons that could have been promoted haven't been.

That's easily explained: the ACE team are not BI devs while Rocket is. Heck, Rocket had already worked directly for BI* instead of just being a community modder when DayZ became a phenomenon.

* For example, in April 2012 an interview with Vespa had photos of Rocket performing the sitting, urban prone and supine ("Last Stand") stances in a mo-cap suit.

DayZ started as an ArmA mod. It exploded and gave BI a large (GIGANTIC) boost in ArmA 2/3 sales. And it is soon a standalone game.

Do you find it weird that they advertise it on Steam?

Nope.

But I understand why so many have been offended in the modding community because of it. All those years of working with Bis on bugs with beta dev. I read some of their blogs and agree. I'm not crying that they soldout. I'm humbly pointing out the undeniable dumbing down of the game. Bis used to cry sellout to OFP developer. I'm not alone but most don't say anything here and I should have taken their advice.

Bis isn't supporting a military sandbox as much as their supporting the dumbing down for a gank and loot sandbox.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I hear ya.... Drop by, you'll fit right in :)

Bookmarked, thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Not by default, no.

Yes it was. How long have you been with ARMA?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Wasn't 3rd PV off on Vet in A2? Heh.

Yes it was. You would have to change the default vet settings to have 3rd person on. Not sure when this change occurred but it its a fundamental point to my observations of the syndrome being applied to ARMA.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

For the OP, you should contact this guy http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?106837-Big_T

He too is upset about too many servers being dumbed down by the settings. You then can find others that share your interest and start a game where the settings are exactly the way you want.

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

12-year vet ... doesn't understand how Arma crosshairs work.

Good luck in your search.

Dismal assumption.

I have. Joined up with SOCOM, 15th MEU, UO, Tacticalgamer many many others as a welcomed guest (When I last clean out my Teamspeak ARMA folder it had 40+ servers in it). As of last year I couldn't get any consistent games with them like I used too with Veteran mode enabled (especially with the old default settings). And that is the point. Bis isn't trying to keep this a military sandbox like they used to. Were you here in the days when all this dumbing down was being done by OFP and they mocked them for doing it?

I'll ask you. When was that last time you've been on a server with no 3rd person, no cross hairs, no map icons of enemy with an authentic military mission in play? How often is that? It was close to a norm at once upon a time. Now I can't find it even when sorting for it by the veteran column on the play with six app.

pm sent

That's easily explained: the ACE team are not BI devs while Rocket is. Heck, Rocket had already worked directly for BI* instead of just being a community modder when DayZ became a phenomenon.

* For example, in April 2012 an interview with Vespa had photos of Rocket performing the sitting, urban prone and supine ("Last Stand") stances in a mo-cap suit.

Not sure if you noticed but you might have overlooked. You're flippant just a community modder is what upset so many at dev heaven and committed devs that have worked so hard since ARMA I. And to this day haven't been promoted openly like Dayz. After years of working with them mind you. Some of these just a community modders as you put it help save and preserve this genre from extinction.

*genre used here is in reference to military sandbox game play, not gank and loot sandbox game play.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Maybe this will help:

Here we are at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and all of a sudden Justin Bieber enters the door and the curators start taking down the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Zappa ect. exhibits and putting them into storage. You know, to make room for all the Bieber fans so they (curators) can ride the coattails to such fame themselves.

The question I ask.

Is it still the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame or a Hall of Shame?

As if the DayZ success was promoted prior to actually being one?
I'd add that Rocket (like Dyslecxi) also had a formal business relationship with BI (even if it was contract work and not formal employment) even before DayZ.

Not sure if you noticed but you might have overlooked. You're flippant just a community modder is what upset so many at dev heaven and committed devs that have worked so hard since ARMA I. And to this day haven't been promoted openly like Dayz. After years of working with them mind you. Some of these just a community modders as you put it help save and preserve this genre from extinction.

*genre used here is in reference to military sandbox game play, not gank and loot sandbox game play.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Maybe this will help:

Here we are at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and all of a sudden Justin Bieber enters the door and the curators start taking down the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Zappa ect. exhibits and putting them into storage. You know, to make room for all the Bieber fans so they (curators) can ride the coattails to such fame themselves.

The question I ask.

Is it still the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame or a Hall of Shame?

I understand your point, but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Let me preface by saying that I've been a PC gamer my entire life, mostly thanks to mods, so please don't think I'm trying to detract from their contribution. Mods are what makes PC gaming what it is.

The mods aren't rock n roll, they aren't already in a hall of fame. Lets say mods are punk music. The Ramones are now in the Hall of Fame and acts like them are why most people have heard of CBGB, but that doesn't mean the owner didn't appreciate the underground bands that kept the regulars coming and the genre growing. Advertising an underground band simply won't bring in customers. Instead they advertise the successes, which gets new people to come to the venue, which spawns new success stories.

I don't know, maybe that's a terrible analogy, but it makes sense to me.

I do agree that the forums are flooded with users clearly looking for a different kind of game. Teamwork is what makes this game so amazing, not playing it like some low-rent MMO gank fest. I hope BIS sticks to their guns and lets these kids make the game they want with mods, but I don't think them trying to build on the DayZ brand is necessarily a betrayal. I don't remember the Day of Defeat mod team complaining that life wasn't fair when Valve started to officially support Counter-Strike. It certainly didn't slow them down at all.

I don't think them trying to build on the DayZ brand is necessarily a betrayal.
If BI didn't try to build on the DayZ brand they would have deserved to go down. :p But yeah, I'm going to reiterate re: Rocket (and Dslyecxi)... why wouldn't BI "promote" one of their own employees' work in an arrangement with Valve? The OP's remark here (re: promoting DayZ over ACE) is akin to complaining about "the head of ShackTac getting" to do the Community Guide video and saying that an ACE team member deserved to, when Dslyecxi's already been a paid video designer for years with BISim.

If BI didn't try to build on the DayZ brand they would have deserved to go down. :p But yeah, I'm going to reiterate re: Rocket (and Dslyecxi)... why wouldn't BI "promote" one of their own employees' work in an arrangement with Valve? The OP's remark here (re: promoting DayZ over ACE) is akin to complaining about "the head of ShackTac getting" to do the Community Guide video and saying that an ACE team member deserved to, when Dslyecxi's already been a paid video designer for years with BISim.

Maybe this will help in fear of further running down this rabbit hole.

The dayz & wasteland as I would call, gank and loot sandbox is a product of the dumbing down and lack of fully promoting the military sandbox modder/devs that were doing wonders for years before gank and loot took hold.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I understand your point, but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Let me preface by saying that I've been a PC gamer my entire life, mostly thanks to mods, so please don't think I'm trying to detract from their contribution. Mods are what makes PC gaming what it is.

The mods aren't rock n roll, they aren't already in a hall of fame. Lets say mods are punk music. The Ramones are now in the Hall of Fame and acts like them are why most people have heard of CBGB, but that doesn't mean the owner didn't appreciate the underground bands that kept the regulars coming and the genre growing. Advertising an underground band simply won't bring in customers. Instead they advertise the successes, which gets new people to come to the venue, which spawns new success stories.

I don't know, maybe that's a terrible analogy, but it makes sense to me.

I do agree that the forums are flooded with users clearly looking for a different kind of game. Teamwork is what makes this game so amazing, not playing it like some low-rent MMO gank fest. I hope BIS sticks to their guns and lets these kids make the game they want with mods, but I don't think them trying to build on the DayZ brand is necessarily a betrayal. I don't remember the Day of Defeat mod team complaining that life wasn't fair when Valve started to officially support Counter-Strike. It certainly didn't slow them down at all.

Not getting my analogy which I concede is my fault. Hall of Fame is the game itself. The Justin Biebers and Beatles are the mods.