Steiner34

Tutorial: How to use the Task Modules

Question about second and thereafter tasks...

Is it possible for them to be hidden until the first task has been completed?

Got everything working perfectly, tasks complete, all players can see the tasks, success works and transfers to best task, which by defaults already has the icon displayed...

Actually, that might be because I am testing on regular instead of the usual veteran or elite...

Also, one more thing with mission failing.

I have the succes working well with bis_fnc_endmission in act of a trigger. I have tried ["END3, false] call bis_fnc_endmission; to make it a failure, but it still shows the mission accomplished ending, is there a definitive way to get a fail screen like the success screen. Or, would I have to make some form of video and use that?

Cheers

Hi there,

I have followed all the instructions, managed to have the task display in the map. I also have a way point on the HUD display in 3D world to locate my target.

The problems I'm having is that once I kill my target "bob" the way point remains, as does the task.

How do I go about getting the task to update to complete? also the possibility of a task completion notice coming up in the 3D world?

After that how would I go about adding a black out command followed by end mission?

Skip

I have literally tried everything in this thread, apart from scripting tasks myself and can't get anything to work. Marker doesn't show up, and task does not complete when I kill the target.

I'm not an expert, but I've got them sort-of working. The rest I think might be due to the alpha status. Did you try the sample mission I posted earlier in thread?

Another good thing to do is post your mission, in case someone is inspired to look at it with you (it's been known to happen). If nothing else, grab a free google site like I did, and post it there then just give us the link.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Cheers

I just took what was posted earlier in thread, like the post from Kiory, and worked off of that. It seems to work (most of the time). Check out the sample I posted and/or post yours in case someone deicdes to look at it with you.

Hi again,

I got the modules working, turns out I was missing one foolish little thing, the "alive", in ! (alive truck1). could not for the life of me find it.

Is it possible, instead of setting the set task destination to the vehicle truck1. to assign it to another module (one of the site>OpFor>base) in some way. or would it be better to create a trigger that detects when all opfor within the area I placed the (site>OpFor>base) module are dead.

Basically what I am trying to do is replace the truck1 from the example with the site module I have placed, so the objective is to clear the OpFor from the base.

Skip

Got everything working perfectly, tasks complete, all players can see the tasks, success works and transfers to best task, which by defaults already has the icon displayed...

Actually, that might be because I am testing on regular instead of the usual veteran or elite...

Also, one more thing with mission failing.

I have the succes working well with bis_fnc_endmission in act of a trigger. I have tried ["END3, false] call bis_fnc_endmission; to make it a failure, but it still shows the mission accomplished ending, is there a definitive way to get a fail screen like the success screen. Or, would I have to make some form of video and use that?

Cheers

Instead of just syncing the createTask to the player also sync it to the trigger complete for the last task. For example your first task is to kill target, you have your trigger not present that your taskstate succeed is set to. When you make your next task simple sync it to the player and this trigger; as a not syncing it to the taskstate succeeded will cause it to complete right away.

So I got my tasks to work and all that, waypoints work everything is all nice and stuff, but the mission I'm making currently starts with everyone in a heli with a task to go to an LZ. However the heli is destroyed and the task is cancelled, all that is sorted - but how do I create a new task that is visible only after I cancel the first one? Like is there something I can put in the condition field of the second task for this?

edit: Realized now to chain them to the same trigger.

Edited by Pherry

I've been sat here for 2,5 hours trying to figure this out now and nothing seems to work. I start my mission with a task that has a marker, it all works. I set the task to cancelled which also works, then I assign a new task. The new task works, but it's not set as the current task like the first one which isn't a huge deal, but even when I set it as current task through the map menu the destination marker will not work. It's all set up the same as the first task so I'm having a hard time understanding the problem.

I have a Create Task synchronized to the player and then it is synchronized to Set Task State assigned and also to Set Task Destination which is synchronized to where I want the marker to be. I've tried all sorts of combos and I've made sure there's a description and name for all the task modules as I saw that might be an issue.

Ok got it working by synching all tasks to each and every player, removing sync in the group completely.

But i have some quesions:

Will they complete it synchonized by simply synching all player to the task??

Will group1 complete the objective when group2 does? Do i need to sync them in any way other then task to single player?

Thats hard to test alone heh.

Example:

Trigger1 completes the objective by Blufor activation in the area. Player1 moves alone into the area, leaving player 2-3-4 outside (group1) while group2 is far away. Will all complete the objective by simply being synched to the task or will it only be player1 who completes it, because the group isnt synched together (due to the group sync bug)?

Or is the completion linked to SIDES in anyway, automaticly updating all Blufor objectives, when player1 completes it?

I need to make it so every player gets "task completed", even if they arent present in the objective area, because ive got 2 groups of players far from each other with the same objectives.

Will they do that by simply synching all players to the task?

Edited by Byrgesen

Anyone got this one working for multiplayer? And then, how?

MP sync for these is not guaranteed. I would suggest using the FHQTT. looks easier to set up too.

Still seems a bit hard and coding knowledge. This was awesome if it worked in Multiplayer just. All other ways feels like they are to hard.

I just read on another page that the FHQTT is fully JIP compatible. It does not handle player respawn though, sorry to mislead you on that.

Got it figured out now pretty good. I don't know if i will be troubled by this issue if i use BTC Revive on the mission instead of Respawn. Hope that it works.

Instead of just syncing the createTask to the player also sync it to the trigger complete for the last task. For example your first task is to kill target, you have your trigger not present that your taskstate succeed is set to. When you make your next task simple sync it to the player and this trigger; as a not syncing it to the taskstate succeeded will cause it to complete right away.

This sort of works, but I can't figure out how to get it to assign the Task without it also popping up the "created task" notification as well. It looks sort of weird when it pops up the "Task Assigned" thing and then right after that the "Task Created" notification right after it for the same thing. It works, and it assigns the task, but it's kind of weird looking.

I also don't get the waypoint to show up with the second task for some reason. In fact, when I sync the destination module to the trigger that creates and assigns the task (which is exactly how I have the first task setup, the difference being that that trigger is tripped by an addaction, the second is the completion trigger for the first task), it has the damn task created from the start of the mission.

EDIT: Hmm, not sure what I did but messing with syncs fixed everything but the issue of creating/assigning.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

How am I supposed to use the "marker" line/option on the "createTask" screen?

I have tried to search newer forums and have had no luck. I am trying to use this forum to create a task for destroying the military radar near Sofia, Altis. I can get my task to show up both in game and on map, and I have used the !alive _object trigger cond. However when a missile destroys the radar I don't get a "succeeded" notice and my task is still assigned. I'm not sure how to use the nearestObject command syntax. Do I just put a gamelogic next to radar and sync with trigger???

*Edit*

Finally got it working. I was trying to complicate it too much. All I had to do was sync trigger to "Succeeded" Set Task State, and group the "Not Present" trigger to the target building just like we did in A2.

Edited by WarLord554

I made this post about tasks a while back but didnt see this thread at the time so maybe should have posted in here

Please not this works perfectly on HOSTED/ CO-OP and is JIP compatible - It does NOT work on a dedi server

Is it possible to set the tasks you have created to fire in a random order?

I have a mission built, that my squad plays regularly.. The side tasks that I have made they all enjoy, just want to do them in different orders to mix things up a bit.

How could one take 15 tasks that work as side missions for us, and randomize them so they populate in different orders each time you play?

Well this thread died off in 4/14. I am setting up multiple tasks in editor, I followed the OP directions however no "task" is being generated. Could anyone go over the set up process again plz AND explain how to make the tasks (3) run in sequence of the other being completed after success. Thanks for the help.

Also, is it better to script the tasks instead and just use a command line init.sqf? Is there any links on how to script tasks?

Again thanks for any assistance.

There's really no need to use these modules IMO. The A3 task functions are really nice, something that's much improved over A2. I spend a fraction of the time on tasks now. Here's a thread that helped me make the change from what I did in A2. Might help you guys out. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173589-All-tasks-get-marked-as-complete-in-multiplayer-game-See-inside-for-details Follow along with grimes and put it in action.

I followed your tutorial, thanks for that one. But I'm looking to have an objective become assigned/created when I've completed that first task. How would I go about doing that?

I followed your tutorial, thanks for that one. But I'm looking to have an objective become assigned/created when I've completed that first task. How would I go about doing that?

You want to sync "Create Task" module of second objective to the trigger of first objective. For example, you have to kill one guy to have another task assigned. You would have trigger for that guy (target) with (!alive "unit name"), you want to sync second Create Task module to that trigger so when the condition is changed (target eliminated), Create Task module of second objective is triggered and second objective is assigned (make sure you have it as assigned in the state drop menu). I hope this example helped you somewhat :P

Oh, and you should have those Create Task modules synced to player, I think.

Edited by MightyDusan

I know how to make task trigger when no enemy are in the trigger zone :)

But,, how do you make it so when "Vehicle A" enters the trigger, it completes the trigger and creates a task

Thank you