Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

Need Stance Indicator

less UI! I mean come it does not matter how high or how low you are! as long as you can see the enemy or NOT see the enemy when hiding its fine!

I understand that people want it, but if implemented please give us the choice to see it or not. I don't want it and I never needed it the last 12 years.

I don't see why we need it, never needed it in OFP, Arma, or Arma2. I guess if you could turn it on or off in the UI it might help new players coming into the community.

I don't see why we need it, never needed it in OFP, Arma, or Arma2. I guess if you could turn it on or off in the UI it might help new players coming into the community.

Well, that's not exaclty what i am, and most of the time i don't know in what stance i am (am i getting old;) )

Well, that's not exaclty what i am, and most of the time i don't know in what stance i am (am i getting old;) )

It would be useful, especially as there are more stances now :). I know what you mean about getting older, i started playing OFP in 2001 when i was 17, im now much older ;)

Do you use the sidestep function? It's really hard to know which one you're in without going back and forth between the 3 different.

I don't see why we need it,

I've lost count of the many times over the years that I have, for instance, been running in a shooter (not just Arma), and then after a while I notice that I am going quite slowly, and realize that it is because I am crouched instead of standing up. So, nowadays I find myself constantly pressing the key for the stance I want to be in, just to make sure that I actually am in that stance. (For this reason, I never use toggle keys, just "go to".)

So, it would be extremely useful for me to always instantly be able to see what stance I am currently in. And of course, all the new stances in Arma 3 will make it even more difficult to always remember what exact stance you are currently in, especially with bullets and grenades flying around, and you being more focused on the enemy than keeping track of your current stance.

I agree, a small stance indicator that shows one of the 18 different stances (The current one you are in) would be awesome, with an option to turn it off for those who don't want it of course.

Perhaps only show it if you are outside the default horizontal stance, that way you'd only need to show 12 different stances.

Hmmm actually you wouldn't need to show the main vertical stances at all since you'd probably know that..

Wait, there's not just horizontal stances is there... damn, so I guess each main stance (3) then has 4 horizontal and 3 vertical 3*4*3.. that's 36 different stance variations.

Edited by bar10dr

Do you use the sidestep function? It's really hard to know which one you're in without going back and forth between the 3 different.
I've lost count of the many times over the years that I have, for instance, been running in a shooter (not just Arma), and then after a while I notice that I am going quite slowly, and realize that it is because I am crouched instead of standing up. So, nowadays I find myself constantly pressing the key for the stance I want to be in, just to make sure that I actually am in that stance. (For this reason, I never use toggle keys, just "go to".)

So, it would be extremely useful for me to always instantly be able to see what stance I am currently in. And of course, all the new stances in Arma 3 will make it even more difficult to always remember what exact stance you are currently in, especially with bullets and grenades flying around, and you being more focused on the enemy than keeping track of your current stance.

Did you not see my last post, that i do understand the need for one, i would just prefer it to be turned on or off in the UI.

It would be useful, especially as there are more stances now :). I know what you mean about getting older, i started playing OFP in 2001 when i was 17, im now much older ;)

Well I regard this as a design issue not an alpha testing issue - but well as this topic exists I guess I will contribute :)

For the people who suggest it's unnecessary - I might suggest you're only considering the 3 main stances and not the new modifiable stance feature that incrementally changes your stance in various directions. There is indeed a real reason to have an onscreen indication of what stance you're in - as in any first person game we lack proprioception, the sense that we know what are bodies are doing without looking at it.

With so many stance positions a small height difference in first-person as an indication isn't doing the job any more. The best example - the next stance down from the lowest crouch position is a sitting position. In first person this is indicated only by a slight change in height, but try dashing out from cover and you realise you're sitting down :) obviously this is a situation that wouldn't happen in real life, and it only happens in ArmA3 because there's no sense of what position we're in.

So IMO some onscreen indication is necessary, and is in fact more "realistic" than none at all given we need to replace certain senses with appropriate analogs.

Because i play mostly in first person view, i would be glad if such indicator would be seen. Logically with possible disabling in settings. Something such as a small simplified Stickman AND two letters under it.

It's something that we've been considering for some time previously. Guidance would be something unintrusive, optional and consistent with the visual style of the iGUI.

Currently, crosshairs do change between main stances, but this obviously doesn't help communicate the adjusted stance positions. I tend to agree with the way DMarkwick presents it: something required to replace certain senses with appropriate analogs.

Speaking from personal preference, if it's there at all, it would need to displayed permanently for it to be functional - you want to know what stance you're in sometime after a prolonged firefight, taken and moved between cover, etc. However, a compromise can be made. For example, it may appear persistently with (say) 50% transparency and, when you change stance, it'd pop to 100%, before fading back to its default state.

Best,

RiE

it may appear persistently with (say) 50% transparency and, when you change stance, it'd pop to 100%, before fading back to its default state.

That sounds good. I'd also suggest an indication to the stance's immediate abilities, green for able-to-run, yellow for unable-to-run for example. Would a simple height-bar be appropriate, up in the right-hand corner where the weapon info is? Only needs to be rather small, with some ticks maybe to indicate the positions.

Posted on the feedback tracker?

Posted on the feedback tracker?

I have no knowledge of the feedback tracker yet, only got A3 last night :) but, will do so if it's not already there.

I dont mind but dont need it .. as long as toggable its alright with me.

Im usually of the mindset that the more realistic the better (i.e. less HUD the better). However, in real life I dont have to look down at my feet in order to see what kind of stance I'm in, so in this case I vote yes for a stance indicator.

One factor is the IRL you will know how low or how high you are because of all the senses your body is feeding into your brain, I a game, we only have our eyes and our hands to gain any meaningful information about your avatar in the game, a stance indicator can help to deal with such problem.

I always supported this idea for Arma2. it's even more important now that you have many more possibilities. For people who really don't like it, I do agree it should be possible to turn off HUD elements though.

A good example would be Red Orchestra and its best-known mod Darkest Hour. You can turn off everything and only keep what you deem necessary. [1] [2]

Edited by dunedain

This would be very useful as sometimes I find myself in an akward position while thinking I was in a different one. :)