Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

Arma3 gameservers spotted

People seem to forget that BI is still a business and in order to remain open they have to make money. If they had to dedicate resources to Day Z to get more of the main stream players involved, then so be it. If they had to go with Steam for logistics and financial reasons, so be it. Whatever they need to do to run their business and get products out so be it. Much larger companies and games have had issues post release with their games, so I don't expect any difference with BI.

I've been running my A2 off steam since Day 1 and Ive never had issues with mods or anything, so people need to quit their whining, if you dont want to be part of Arma 3 because of that, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ehm bro i believe you wrong the topic........ this isn't for steam discussing.....

Which is a bit surprising actually...

Of course, there's bound to be problems and quircks on the road, but it's not like they were starting something from scratch that they never had done before :

- The beta patches for Arma 2 have added a lot of good things, the work on DayZ seemed to go rather smooth and borrow stuff from Arma 3 (custom clothing), Take on Helicopters new tech (PiP, Volumetric clouds, flight models...) was nice, VBS 2 V2 is showcasing some bit of Arma 3... you'd think this would be signs that good things are happening under the hood and that this translates in some way to Arma 3.

- All the new showcased features seemed to work great in the playable demos last year : lighting, volumetric clouds, ragdolls, underwater, muzzle flashes, chemlights, new animations, tonemapping, animated hands on wheel etc...

- PhysX being changed midcourse seemed a big hurdle, but looked to have been managed in August.

- Models and islands look great for a long time and aren't really an issue (save for the interiors maybe).

- Possible AI problem : cleaning, documenting and finetuning the AI code (+inability to use underground structures) seemed a bigger challenge than expected. How much though?

Other than that it felt like it was already a fine technical upgrade for Arma 2.5.

So what could have gone wrong SO BADLY that despite relying on steamworks they're still not sure to release in 2013?

- Story wise? Mission design?

- Interface?

- Mod integration?

I wonder...

The right answer is "you expect them to be able to put together a working game when they can't even add new AI features because they first have to get the AI to stop tripping over its own shoelaces and are actually trying to compile manuals for 'what does this button do'".

Though apparently the characterization is that Steamworks means that they'll be able to get it out in 2013, and the devblog implies that "Maruk specifically said that 'let it slip into 2014' is not allowed".

I'm just wondering, Gamespy's shutting down isn't it? According to this: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ign-layoffs/

So how are the servers going to be hosted? Via Steam?

yea, that puzzles me too.

i guess these services will continue, as i cannot imagine there is no company who could not be interested in such a source of information you could suck out of this service.

anyways, you can use a 'alternative' gamespy master server for querying, so i guess there is enough flexibility to keep the existing gameserverlist running with little alterations.

However, i would also like to see more information from gamespy regarding the gameserverlist service.

i guess time will tell.

Like other steamgames i guess - the the serverbrowser in steam will be a hell of

a step forward compared to the arma2 ingame browser. It holds friends/history/favorites

things players have been requesting for arma since jerry was reparing vehicles in paraiso arma1.

Steam serverbrowser

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Interesting. I just checked the link and lo and behold, a server popped up. However, the interesting part is that it is apparently hosted by the Shack Tactical clan. :confused:

publicip publicport privateip privateport icmpip hostname country numplayers maxplayers gametype mapname

198.144.179.202 2314 0.0.0.0 6500 0.0.0.0 Shack Tactical US 0 64

Copied and pasted directly from the site. It's not actually running a game, (note the lack of a game or map name) but it could be perpetually waiting in the lobby. Who knows?

I for one have decently high hopes about what this could mean.

Neat, I think Shack tac would be a great community to test arma 3.

But wasn't focus testing supposed to only happen in Czech Rep? I am starting to think that the alpha is really quite close and all this is in preparation for the alpha release...

i guess/hope, they are making pre-release testing, so we people can play alpha comfortably, BIS is thinking of us, guys!

Dslyecxi works for BI Sim so wouldn't be a surprise. He got hands early on A2 too.

Spamming F5 here, now apparently still a ShackTac hosted server, but playing on Stratis. 1 person on, no gamemode seleted.

publicip publicport privateip privateport icmpip hostname country numplayers maxplayers gametype mapname

198.144.179.202 2314 0.0.0.0 6500 0.0.0.0 Shack Tactical (shacktac.com) US 1 6 Stratis

Spamming F5 here, now apparently still a ShackTac hosted server, but playing on Stratis. 1 person on, no gamemode seleted.

Keep us updated.

Keep us updated.

Don't mind if I do. I liked the Eby vs Harrier video. My rabbit has caused billions in damages to the Arma Air Force in crashed jets.

Keep us updated.

So guessing by the server name... Hopefully this means that that Alpha is on the verge of release?

(Would be great if it came out on my birthday :D)

But really, this is good news, also means you might also be doing a review on it...

Edited by KorroBravin

Be patient everyone, it's coming.

Soon.

I wonder how many months we must wait now. But no, seriously, take your time Bohemia. We love you.

Edited by RS_SPECTER

A public Alpha with Stratis in March on Steam would be great. Make it happen!

Early March please ;)

But wasn't focus testing supposed to only happen in Czech Rep? I am starting to think that the alpha is really quite close and all this is in preparation for the alpha release...

Apparently not. Now a server in the Netherlands has popped up.

a3svrcut.png

Edited by Zaippo
Added photo