Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

Arma3 gameservers spotted

From where was that quoted? I missed it :)

It's in the devblog. The game will be fully integrated into Steam.

WELL, glad you found it. Now my post is pointless...

The real fact that will strike hard on some was the part about not being able to play MP without steam running.

It will be possible to run Steam in Offline mode, and still play the game (with the exception of online services obviously, including multiplayer itself).

I can see that becoming a problem for some. But their reasoning is logical.

EDIT: hostname changed :

Hell hole spa resort

EDIT: hostname changed :

Forum is silent

Edited by AlexVestin

M'kay Radek.. I'll play your game.

How about 1860 STEAM Locomotive

so, the news from today were the only to expect this month? Not to moan or anything, but... what about alpha?

so, the news from today were the only to expect this month? Not to moan or anything, but... what about alpha?

That is actually what I thought as well. After the "it's too big" thing, I was expecting a bit more. I suppose I should stop reading twitter feeds.

Indeed.

Sorry, BIS, please regard this as a constructive criticism, but don't stir up too much hype on "secondary" media like twitter if there is nothing coming to back it up.

The Steam announcement basically had two types of listeners: Those that hate Steam and were shocked by the announcement, and the rest (like me) who don't give a damn about the distribution method (not to mention the fact that it was not a surprise at all). For the former ones, the announcement was a death blow, for the latter ones, it was uninteresting (especially since "vital" information, for example, about Steam Workshop integration, MP playability in LAN, dedicated server support etc was missing).

I sincerely hope that this wasn't the big news of the months, because it wasn't really, like, big.

They did mention this was going to be something smaller. Not "alpha" big. This was the news.

We do have news planned for this week but, on a scale of 1-to-'blow-your-tits-off', mine only get a distinct but brief jiggle.

After that, though.. well... :cool:

Ahem... didn't you recently say, I quote, "However, it'll be actions, not words, that will be the proof of that." ?
Quite so! Hence my will to manage expectations, here.
Edited by AlexVestin

Indeed.

Sorry, BIS, please regard this as a constructive criticism, but don't stir up too much hype on "secondary" media like twitter if there is nothing coming to back it up.

The Steam announcement basically had two types of listeners: Those that hate Steam and were shocked by the announcement, and the rest (like me) who don't give a damn about the distribution method (not to mention the fact that it was not a surprise at all). For the former ones, the announcement was a death blow, for the latter ones, it was uninteresting (especially since "vital" information, for example, about Steam Workshop integration, MP playability in LAN, dedicated server support etc was missing).

I sincerely hope that this wasn't the big news of the months, because it wasn't really, like, big.

Yeah, it was big. Because, while most expected Steam integration, I don't think a whole lot of people expected Steam exclusivity. I didn't. That, and this devblog really indicated just how behind BIS was with ArmA3. And it sheds light on just why we had radio silence after Gamescom.

Yeah, it was big. Because, while most expected Steam integration, I don't think a whole lot of people expected Steam exclusivity. I didn't. That, and this devblog really indicated just how behind BIS was with ArmA3. And it sheds light on just why we had radio silence after Gamescom.

if thats so, u gona hate all that teasing. I was monitoring forums like crazy all day at work, cause something REALLY big for me means: alpha realse, game has been finished, game has been canceled, hearing that it will be steam exclusive for me, as a long time steam user, sounds like nothing at all, really.

Ahead of their release plans announcement, Bohemia Interactive has revealed that Valve’s Steam will be required to play Arma 3. In a developer’s blog post, Project Lead Joris-Jan van ‘t Land explains the studio’s motivations, stating that the game could otherwise not be released in 2013.

As you can see in the bolded text they still plan on releasing information about their release plans. So don't start getting disappointed yet.

Also, here's a QA that I found in the "Full Steam Ahead" blogpost

Q: So, when will you release Arma 3 then?

A: "Soon" has become an overused word, but we are preparing all we need to unveil our plans right this moment.

I feel as though ArmA 3 is right around the corner.

Indeed.

I can't agree more, I would love to hear more info about this though:

"There was a very real chance there would be no Arma 3 this year otherwise."

So don't start getting disappointed yet.

You should listen to him :ok:

Indeed.

ironically this was reason for the devblog which covers these topics ... read it again, while not named to bone it's there

there will be more details as we progress on the development

if thats so, u gona hate all that teasing. I was monitoring forums like crazy all day at work, cause something REALLY big for me means: alpha realse, game has been finished, game has been canceled, hearing that it will be steam exclusive for me, as a long time steam user, sounds like nothing at all, really.

Yeah, I do hate all the teasing. I use Steam for every game that is offered on Steam (whether Steamworks or not, I like having all my games in one place). But it was big for me because I wasn't expecting it to be only playable via Steam. I was expecting a Steam-compatible version. Now, I'd certainly like for the Alpha to be release as soon as possible (even if it's the E3 or Gamescom build), cuz I want to test out current features in the game (like the in-progress inventory system, the animations, the vehicle handling, and underwater movement). So I'm hoping there's still some more news for this month (although I doubt it).

@Horner, I doubt it's right around the corner. I bet the Alpha is a couple months away (wish it was this month ;p), beta during the summer, and release during the fall.

@Horner, I doubt it's right around the corner. I bet the Alpha is a couple months away (wish it was this month ;p), beta during the summer, and release during the fall.

From what it sounds like at least the announcement is going to be soon. But I highly doubt it's months away. They hinted in today's post about more news being released real soon :)

ARMA 3 will be released in March-May 2013 my friend works at Gamestop and they have already been getting shipments of the Retail Boxed copies

I hope that the game could be run without Steam after the validation of game though, because running via Steam (or well, having Steam on when playing) decreases my FPS noticeably and especially kills the internet access.

Does this mean that if you loose connection to Steam, you will be kicked off from MP btw? If that's the case, I shudder to think what that would cause – no more Arma. It wouldn't be worth it to purchase the game if you got kicked off every 10 mins!

I have Steam version of A2 and A2OA.

You don't need to have Steam running in order to launch or run the game (after the 1st activation of course).

I got embarrassed by the number of hours I had been playing Arma (Steam logs this) so decided to use a launcher. :p

From what it sounds like at least the announcement is going to be soon. But I highly doubt it's months away. They hinted in today's post about more news being released real soon :)

"soon". We know what that means. It could be 3 weeks from now that we get some more news "soon". And then another 2 weeks to follow up on that announcement. That's another month right there. That news could be more on this Steam-Only information. It could be a video showing new features. But that's still not an Alpha. Alpha could easily be months away. I certainly hope not, but I'm not going to get hyped over an Alpha announcement that's coming "soon". I mean, many expected this announcement to be about the Alpha. Yet there was no mention of it. And a mention of more news is not necessarily a mention of an Alpha announcement.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

ARMA 3 will be released in March-May 2013 my friend works at Gamestop and they have already been getting shipments of the Retail Boxed copies

Get a picture from him/her to PM to me or I won't believe it. I certainly hope so (earliest release I can see is May though, Alpha at the earliest will happen in March), but not getting hopes up.

my grandpa works as personal driver at *whatevergame mag*, he just said they have got a fresh build arma 4, it comes 2040 1st april.

"soon". We know what that means. It could be 3 weeks from now that we get some more news "soon". And then another 2 weeks to follow up on that announcement. That's another month right there. That news could be more on this Steam-Only information. It could be a video showing new features. But that's still not an Alpha. Alpha could easily be months away. I certainly hope not, but I'm not going to get hyped over an Alpha announcement that's coming "soon". I mean, many expected this announcement to be about the Alpha. Yet there was no mention of it. And a mention of more news is not necessarily a mention of an Alpha announcement.

And if you read the announcement you would have read that they are getting together the information for a release announcement.