The ultimate thread about Arma 3 anti-cheat discussion

Which one do you want.  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you want.

• Battleye
    • Punkbuster
    • Vac
    • Others

...out of my 5 gaming buddies 3 have had their keys stolen by the hack .exe/ program they downloaded.

There, I fixed that for you.

quite bad? show me one undetected public free or paid cheat for A2: OA ...

meatspin?

Oh man... loads of h4ckz0rsm1dg3ts in there... hold on to your britches man, it's a wild ride.

/derp :yay:

On a serious note.... you sure do want to swing that spiked wrecking ball dontcha?

What does the BE "haters" suggest instead?

PunkBuster? Easily bypassed just in user mode (BF3 implementation is a joke)

VAC? lol

HackShield? heh

GameGuard? wee

Dwarden, I have few ideas for BE:

1) How about to provide key sign for BEClient.dll and Arma_xx.exe like other pbo files(private hacks change those files to deactivate BE cheat hunting)

2) As I understand Arma unpack needed files from pbo to the memory when she starts. All scripts(and resources) available like tree. I am not fully understand how script injectors work but maybe those hack will be visible in this tree and we can log/kick (maybe with dump) players with "additional" scripts.

3) How about create screenshot of player from be console(like this do PB)?

Edited by bugmenot

meatspin?

Oh man... loads of h4ckz0rsm1dg3ts in there... hold on to your britches man, it's a wild ride.

/derp :yay:

On a serious note.... you sure do want to swing that spiked wrecking ball dontcha?

anything useful to add or just ranting?

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Dwarden, I have few ideas for BE:

1) How about to provide key sign for BEClient.dll and Arma_xx.exe like other pbo files(private hacks change those files to deactivate BE cheat hunting)

2) As I understand Arma unpack needed files from pbo to the memory when she starts. All scripts(and resources) available like tree. I am not fully understand how script injectors work but maybe those hack will be visible in this tree and we can log/kick (maybe with dump) players with "additional" scripts.

3) How about create screenshot of player from be console(like this do PB)?

1) something similar on my personal wish list, hard to tell if and when that happens

2) not that easy as it seems but partially covered by BE

3) BE wishlist (might happen sooner when we clone Bastian)

anything useful to add or just ranting?

Dwarden... I was laughing at how you almost suckered him in with your proposition. It was clever.

You said:

quite bad? show me one undetected public free or paid cheat for A2: OA ...

If he would have fell for it... you would have swung the wrecking ball on him (your avatar).............. ahhh forget it... wasted humor.

FPDR

I need to apologise to BE as it turns out this problem was nothing to do with it.

What was causing it was that, as I've been trying to use a RAMdisk and had some files from Expansion/Addons on the RAMDisk, to prevent those files being loaded from the HDD instead I had to move them, to a folder named @ramdisk. When running from HDD, as I have been lately as it was locking up my PC when running from RAMdisk, I included @ramdisk in my modline so that those files were loaded. Moving those files back into Expansion/Addons has fixed the problem of having to disconnect and reconnect before I could slot-in.

So I guess I'm going to have to abandon the idea of running (mostly) from RAMDisk, as I don't have space for all the files in Expansion/Addons (even on an 11GB RAMDisk, as I found I had to put all of Common on there as well, plus some of the Arma2\Addons files, so I have to include the HDD Expansion\Addons in my modline and if that contains the same files that are on the RAMdisk, it uses the HDD copies instead of the RAMdisk ones.

Actually it appears I still don't know what's causing this problem of having to connect, disconnect, then connect again (after waiting for it to register I've left as I get kicked with "CDKey is use" until then) as I've just had to restore my Windows 7 from a True Image backup and now it's doing it again. My Arma2OA is installed on a separate partition so obviously the files are all still in Expansion/Addons, which seemed to fix it before but obviously something else is in play as well. I tried connecting to a non-BE server as well though and that was the same so it's obviously it's not a BE-problem though. I was connecting with PwS but tried launching with Arma II Launcher with the required mods for the UnitedOperations server, which loaded to the Main menu and then went to Multiplayer and connected from there and had the same problem so it doesn't appear to be a PwS problem either.

Dwarden... I was laughing at how you almost suckered him in with your proposition. It was clever.

You said:

If he would have fell for it... you would have swung the wrecking ball on him (your avatar).............. ahhh forget it... wasted humor.

FPDR

I'm sorry latterly I don't find such things funny ... :rolleyes:

You said:

FPDR

I see what you did there! You sneaky snake. On topic, BE is fine. So far, BE is only as good as the admin. Also, regarding false positives... I've been around since Arma started using BE. Over the last ~5-6 years, out of all of the long gaming sessions on Arma/Arma2, I've never been banned by BE. You'd think by now I would have gotten atleast 1 false positive... especially seeing as it youst to be routine for me (us) to have 24hr c&h sessions. That's alot of hours logged into the game with no false positive. And I can pick any number of people that know what I mean. Also, kind of funny, it's never any long standing member claiming "false positive", it's always some new player (*cough* cod kiddie *cough*)

Edited by Iceman77

I see what you did there! You sneaky snake. On topic, BE is fine. So far, BE is only as good as the admin. Also, regarding false positives... I've been around since Arma started using BE. Over the last ~5-6 years, out of all of the long gaming sessions on Arma/Arma2, I've never been banned by BE. You'd think by now I would have gotten atleast 1 false positive... especially seeing as it youst to be routine for me (us) to have 24hr c&h sessions. That's alot of hours logged into the game with no false positive. And I can pick any number of people that know what I mean. Also, kind of funny, it's never any long standing member claiming "false positive", it's always some new player (*cough* cod kiddie *cough*)

Exactly!

From a player standpoint, I've never had any problems with BE. No random kicks or anything like that. And that's with what must be at least 3000 hours of MP gameplay.

From a server admin standpoint, BE catches most/all public cheats (yes, all - if a public cheat is undetected it just came out) and also provides the necessary tools to catch people using undetected stuff.

I'm sorry latterly I don't find such things funny ... :rolleyes:

It was nothing bad... I was just trying to lighten the mood a little bit. Have a laugh Dwarden... it's ok... we will still love you even if you smile!! I promise! ;-)

I have to agree to... can't think of any game I've been mistakenly banned on just for playing. No false positives... no weird bans... nothing.

P.s. I can be clever too.. :P

P.s.s. Are you in the army up there or there by birth? No one in their right mind would move there for the joy of it. (Fairbanks)

When people say "I was global banned for no reason by Battleye in ArmA2" you may as well read that as "I was using hacks for DayZ and got punished but I don't want to spend 25 bucks buying the platform for DayZ again"

I've been using several overlays (TS, steam) and injectors (like fxaa, smaa, sweetfx etc) over the years and Battleye never did anything to me.

Avira Antivir is blocking BE as a virus now!

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Downloader.Gen [trojan]'

detected in file 'C:\Users\Del\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\BattlEye\BEClient.dll.

Action performed: Deny access

When I tried to join a server it said I had v185 and needed v191 and then when it restarted it said it was v182 :confused:

EDIT: Antivir has updated now and it doesn't think it's a virus anymore :)

Edited by doveman

antivir programs have a lot of false positives... in university times we had to calculate/determine the zeroes of a function in c++, compiled it and suddenly my math homework was a virus :D

(took a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/kJOkXil.jpg )

since then i turn it off as soon as he gives a warning about programs i installed...

antivir programs have a lot of false positives... in university times we had to calculate/determine the zeroes of a function in c++, compiled it and suddenly my math homework was a virus :D

(took a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/kJOkXil.jpg )

since then i turn it off as soon as he gives a warning about programs i installed...

I don't even let it monitor my Games partition but BE copies to my C: partition and that's where it saw it. I'll add an exception for the BE files on C: if it happens again.

It'd be a shame if BI decided to go steamworks. A small minority of people experiencing problems with an otherwise good-enough anti hack tool is not worth having to play a PC game from a console. Oh, I just realized I can't poke fun at steam for that anymore, because now they're literally making a console.

Steam is often regarded as the savior of PC gaming. What it's actually the savior of is numerous console based multiplats and kiddie 2d platformers and "unique" indie titles.

steamworks is nice for the developer and community... for the developer and players easy game-management, easy updates(allways up-to-date) and the biggest mod-community of the world. What you want more?? I like Steam.

My ArmA2 is always up-to-date and it's not on Steam either. Wonder how this happened? And it has no DRM too. Just run and play without a bloatware that doesn't even have a proper mod launcher.

It's easy to maintain the one game that you play.

Not so easy when you have dozens.

It'd be a shame if BI decided to go steamworks. A small minority of people experiencing problems with an otherwise good-enough anti hack tool is not worth having to play a PC game from a console. Oh, I just realized I can't poke fun at steam for that anymore, because now they're literally making a console.

Steam is often regarded as the savior of PC gaming. What it's actually the savior of is numerous console based multiplats and kiddie 2d platformers and "unique" indie titles.

Seems like the DayZ standalone is also Steamworks, but then again that's it's own development path and I believe Rocket is on the record as saying that Valve has been quite helpful to him and his team on implementation, which itself provides some interesting lessons and technical knowledge for BI -- which may well pay dividends for the eventual Arma 3 Steam version. (That is to say, even though Arma 3 is non-Steamworks, there's going to be a Steam version simply because of the high visibility of Steam.)

I have never found BattleEye a real problem, but i see what the OP is saying. Maybe (hopefully) the script kiddies will follow dayz and leave us all alone ;)

Be fair: Everytime a new injector has became popular, BattleEye and A2 have been quick to respond, updates usually if not always within 24 hours to patch it

well lot of complainers not realize how insecure mod / mission script helps the abuse, for example dayzmod 1.7.5.1 introduced several exploits for remote execution of scripts ...

within 2 hours there were cheats scripts utilizing such design flaw ....

my updated BE filters could cover some but can't prevent the abuse completely

Assuming BE is still present in Arma3 (hopefully) and the MP scripting architecture is still as wide open and exploitable as Arma2's is (hopefully not), I expect the more popular missions will be written with script security in mind and come with their own set of tailored BE rules.

Though I'm still hoping BIS will make some changes to allow mission designers to lock down their MP scripts without requiring filters.

well lot of complainers not realize how insecure mod / mission script helps the abuse, for example dayzmod 1.7.5.1 introduced several exploits for remote execution of scripts ...

within 2 hours there were cheats scripts utilizing such design flaw ....

my updated BE filters could cover some but can't prevent the abuse completely

So remote exec cheats use DayZ exploits, not Arma/BE exploits?

Edited by TSAndrey

When the mod uses clientside code to spawn items and zombies naturally it's very prone to exploiting. Mission pbos aren't signed either.

Note how people complaining about cheaters are DayZ players. Usual ArmA game never really suffered from excessive hacking or anything.

When the mod uses clientside code to spawn items and zombies naturally it's very prone to exploiting. Mission pbos aren't signed either.

Note how people complaining about cheaters are DayZ players. Usual ArmA game never really suffered from excessive hacking or anything.

Well i can only say that i am playing Wastelands missions since 2 weeks or so and every single game session got hacked at one point or another.

So assuming that all the hacking happens in DayZ only, is wrong unfortunately. :(